Sponsored by:

Prices Keep Drifting Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 10:07 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 986 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Billup
it will be interesting to see what happens over the next 10-20 years.
pods
Old 01-13-2021, 11:13 AM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 469 Likes on 329 Posts

It seems counter-intuitive with all the uncertainty in the world right now that prices keep going up.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:41 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,833 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by motoo344
It seems counter-intuitive with all the uncertainty in the world right now that prices keep going up.
That would seem like the case but there is a very large number of people that are doing just fine and are able to afford toys to keep them busy while stuck at home. I do feel for the folks that are unable to work but there are many that simply shifted to working from home setting up home offices and never really experienced the financial impact that others have. I'm blessed to be in that group. Bought by 911 in October.
The following 2 users liked this post by plpete84:
Mwake (08-14-2021), Optionman1 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 12:22 PM
TRLBRAKER
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Lightbulb

There will always be an entry level 911. When the 996 is not the whipping boy anymore (I think people are even starting to appreciate the headlights), which 911 model is going to take it's place?

I personally think that 996 will remain entry level but option codes and interior\external colors will huge differentiators. silver\black=cheapest and odd\unusual colors could be worth double in the not too distant future. Fitted IMS Solution worth will be factored into purchase price, it's a no brainer and should be installed on any car that passes pre-qualification, you can't lose money on it.
The following users liked this post:
joseph mitro (01-14-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 12:28 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
That would seem like the case but there is a very large number of people that are doing just fine and are able to afford toys to keep them busy while stuck at home. I do feel for the folks that are unable to work but there are many that simply shifted to working from home setting up home offices and never really experienced the financial impact that others have. I'm blessed to be in that group. Bought by 911 in October.
I agree (in hindsight). I bought mine in March just before everything hit the fan. I knew it was coming and wondered if I should wait. I thought there might be a bunch of people who would have to sell off their toys. I was wrong about that. While it would have been even better to buy a few years ago I feel like I got in just before the buzzer. I didn't buy this as an investment but one of the reasons I chose the 996 over a Boxster, 350Z or something like that is I thought it would at least hold its value at this point.
The following 3 users liked this post by ssherman68:
Ratchet1025 (01-05-2022), redlineblue (11-04-2022), SARNODUDE (08-27-2023)
Old 01-13-2021, 01:27 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by TRLBRAKER
There will always be an entry level 911. When the 996 is not the whipping boy anymore (I think people are even starting to appreciate the headlights), which 911 model is going to take it's place?

I personally think that 996 will remain entry level but option codes and interior\external colors will huge differentiators. silver\black=cheapest and odd\unusual colors could be worth double in the not too distant future. Fitted IMS Solution worth will be factored into purchase price, it's a no brainer and should be installed on any car that passes pre-qualification, you can't lose money on it.
^^^ Entry level in cost/price only - performance wise it's still only 3 generations old... People who don't know any more than "it looks like a Porsche" - have no clue how old it is. My friends & acquaintances are always surprised by the age of my car (and they never mention the headlights...)
The following 2 users liked this post by dporto:
details (01-14-2021), droo (04-11-2024)
Old 01-13-2021, 01:30 PM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 282 Posts

Agreed. People think it's newer than it is.

However, I agree that I expected for prices to trend downwards as people got scared. Not the case. The market recovered, and everything is going nuts. Crazy to think that I thought in March that I was thinking I may handed a rifle to guard the toilet paper lines, and now, it's basically business as usual. Go figure.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:12 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Originally Posted by motoo344
Same with the market. The US is not in a recession, despite the idea that it sure feels like one for many people.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:19 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

This is what makes me enjoy my .1 so much, there's no nannies to it. Simple in it's truest form. And regardless of what happens with the market, they're great cars at a great value right now.
The car companies that created these nannies in these new cars have the opportunity to evolve from a nanny into a coach. The nannies aren’t so bad if you can truly turn them off - all the way off - or tune them to make the car actually better. Our cars (without PSM or PASM), it’s up to the driver. But the problem with that, is that most people aren’t very good or fast drivers, at lease compared to that same driver that has a modern fast car with nannies on. And so those poorer drivers are more capable.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:20 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdematt
Agreed. People think it's newer than it is.

However, I agree that I expected for prices to trend downwards as people got scared. Not the case. The market recovered, and everything is going nuts. Crazy to think that I thought in March that I was thinking I may handed a rifle to guard the toilet paper lines, and now, it's basically business as usual. Go figure.
I think the difference is that new cars are still a lot more expensive than used cars. And when you are stuck at home, what can you do? Take a drive is one option.
The following users liked this post:
user 8298308 (02-07-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 11:34 PM
wsrgklt
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy

1988 3.2 Carrera Targa
Beautiful car and great shot from the rail yard. It’s right in my neighborhood but I never thought of using it for photos. Might give it a try this spring.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:27 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wsrgklt
Beautiful car and great shot from the rail yard. It’s right in my neighborhood but I never thought of using it for photos. Might give it a try this spring.
Thanks. My friend was the photographer. I think this location was S. Lumber Street, next to the canal, south of Roosevelt. This was maybe around 2005.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:09 AM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Talking with some people around work, their kids don't even care to get their drivers licenses, let alone care what kind of car they'd drive if they had one. Their kids are mostly young / middle teenagers, so I'm not sure if this resonates with the younger 20's crowd. As time goes on, enthusiasts are going to keep dwindling into smaller groups. Hell look at most new cars, you can't distinguish a new 2 series from a Nissan Maxima. Body lines of "super cars" are all starting to look similar (C8 Corvette) also.

Times are definitely always changing, so it will be interesting to see what happens over the next 10-20 years.
I think that's it - "drivers" want fewer assists, kids don't even care about driving and have no way to compare cars other than the number of features, gizmos and gadgets. The driving isn't as important to them as owning cutting-edge techo gear.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:00 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 986 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Emefef
kids don't even care about driving...
i agree with this to a great extent and i think that curve will continue - get in a mobile device to accomplish a task - and we might find ourselves holding onto expensive paperweights as time moves on. sure, there will continue to be a small group who appreciates 'classics', but hold long can that truly last? luckily, i think it will be beyond the point in time i want to move what i have.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:01 PM
Tom Loder
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 225 Posts

Aerokit prices are definitely on the rise. Happy I picked one up in August for a solid deal.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=292528633

Quick Reply: Prices Keep Drifting Up