996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

zbomb's confused 996

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 10:16 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,775 Posts

Screw "needs more cow bell"... needs more speed holes . They will add at least 10hp.
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 03:30 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,034 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
Felt like if I didn't do it - fate would punish me.

Some progress on cage... almost there.

And... I asked @yaz996 to design and print me up some harness collars to replace the hose clamps I was using and he absolutely slayed it, they are perfect. The stuff he has made for me clearly comes from an engineering mind, I've asked for something... and he's made it something you can hold in your hand that exceeded what I asked for yet is simple - thank you man, I really appreciate it.

That cage looks amazing man... sure looks like it's worth the wait.
TexSquirrel (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 03:11 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
That cage looks amazing man... sure looks like it's worth the wait.
Yep, it's very Cup Car-ish.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:31 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,808 Posts

Door bar setup loosely based on RSR. I’m really happy with how it’s coming out.

Ratchet1025 (05-27-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 03:41 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,842 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Felt like if I didn't do it - fate would punish me.

Some progress on cage... almost there.

Looks great Jason! Congrats! Your front section looks very similar to mine. You should be off to paint shortly. Finding a paint shop that will do cages can sometimes be a challenge as these things are a royal pain to paint properly.

Last edited by powdrhound; 05-26-2022 at 03:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by powdrhound:
Ratchet1025 (05-27-2022), TheChunkNorris (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 11:05 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Thanks John - I appreciate the support and can't wait to move on to next steps. With regards to paint, the cage builder is going to paint the cage to assure no corrosion, I'm not sure it will be the final finish as I would like to fully paint the interior but thats going to wait until the next phase when I take on the wire harness. For now my main concern was NO RUST. Admittedly, it will NOT look like yours this season, the work done on your car is really awesome and has been a great inspiration.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:34 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Thanks John - I appreciate the support and can't wait to move on to next steps. With regards to paint, the cage builder is going to paint the cage to assure no corrosion, I'm not sure it will be the final finish as I would like to fully paint the interior but thats going to wait until the next phase when I take on the wire harness. For now my main concern was NO RUST. Admittedly, it will NOT look like yours this season, the work done on your car is really awesome and has been a great inspiration.
Yes, making sure every nook and cranny of the cage is fully painted from all the angles is paramount in order to ensure a rust free finish. That's what makes it so tricky however. I know my painter completely masked off the exterior of the car and painted the cage with 4 separate coats with detail work and prep between coats. They used the smallest, youngest, and most flexible guy at the shop that could wedge himself between the bars and get to all the angles.

I would highly recommend that they paint the complete interior of your car in a flat color to minimize glare and then do the roll bar tubes in a gloss finish to match the exterior. That will give you the most pleasing finish. I also had my painter paint the A pillar tubes and gussets right behind the windshield in a flat finish in order to minimize any glare and reflection from the tubes and gussets onto the backside of the windshield glass which would be very distracting. You can see what I'm talking about in the pic below. Obviously the same reason your dash has a flat dull finish to it. Anyway, just food for thought. Congrats again Jason!

Last edited by powdrhound; 05-26-2022 at 11:38 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by powdrhound:
golock911 (05-27-2022), Ratchet1025 (05-27-2022), TexSquirrel (05-27-2022), TheChunkNorris (05-27-2022), zbomb (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 08:16 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Yes, making sure every nook and cranny of the cage is fully painted from all the angles is paramount in order to ensure a rust free finish. That's what makes it so tricky however. I know my painter completely masked off the exterior of the car and painted the cage with 4 separate coats with detail work and prep between coats. They used the smallest, youngest, and most flexible guy at the shop that could wedge himself between the bars and get to all the angles.

I would highly recommend that they paint the complete interior of your car in a flat color to minimize glare and then do the roll bar tubes in a gloss finish to match the exterior. That will give you the most pleasing finish. I also had my painter paint the A pillar tubes and gussets right behind the windshield in a flat finish in order to minimize any glare and reflection from the tubes and gussets onto the backside of the windshield glass which would be very distracting. You can see what I'm talking about in the pic below. Obviously the same reason your dash has a flat dull finish to it. Anyway, just food for thought. Congrats again Jason!
Thanks John, your input is really valuable and even though for whatever reason, I may not be able to follow it as closely as I like, I sure do like receiving it !

In this case, I could not afford to go with a full interior paint the way I would have wanted it to be done. My body guy who also builds cages (not mine) told me $3K and that he'd be doing me a favor, so I elected to hold off and instead, had a long talk with my cage builder who painted the cage on what the expectations were (the fact as long as the over spray was INSIDE the car, it was fine with it to assure coverage of the tubing), looked at the other work he has done, he seals or paints every cage he does, and was satisfied in the minimum, this would hold me over until I re-fill the 'blow money on car stuff' fund sufficiently to afford the interior paint work and if by some chance I was blown away, I could spend the $3K elsewhere.

I had him use Steel It grey. Steel it is used a lot in heavy use industrial and off road chassis and suspension components applications, I researched it after seeing it being used for trophy trucks tube chassis as one of its claims to fame, besides durability, is the ability to weld through it enabling course side chassis repairs without much of the prep that would need to occur if the chassis used traditional paint or powder coat, not something hopefully I will need, but kind of cool. I can also keep the paint on hand easily to perform touch ups as needed, you can buy the stuff off Amazon.

The finish itself is I guess what I would call a matte - I don't expect glare to be an issue and if I end up doing the rest of the interior it will likely use the same material, I wanted to stay away from anything dark to try to keep as much heat out of the cabin as I could.

The cage is painted in the picture below.

The following 4 users liked this post by zbomb:
GC996 (05-27-2022), golock911 (05-27-2022), Ratchet1025 (05-27-2022), TexSquirrel (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 08:59 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,278 Posts

I like the cage color!
zbomb (05-28-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 09:56 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Thanks John, your input is really valuable and even though for whatever reason, I may not be able to follow it as closely as I like, I sure do like receiving it !

In this case, I could not afford to go with a full interior paint the way I would have wanted it to be done. My body guy who also builds cages (not mine) told me $3K and that he'd be doing me a favor, so I elected to hold off and instead, had a long talk with my cage builder who painted the cage on what the expectations were (the fact as long as the over spray was INSIDE the car, it was fine with it to assure coverage of the tubing), looked at the other work he has done, he seals or paints every cage he does, and was satisfied in the minimum, this would hold me over until I re-fill the 'blow money on car stuff' fund sufficiently to afford the interior paint work and if by some chance I was blown away, I could spend the $3K elsewhere.

I had him use Steel It grey. Steel it is used a lot in heavy use industrial and off road chassis and suspension components applications, I researched it after seeing it being used for trophy trucks tube chassis as one of its claims to fame, besides durability, is the ability to weld through it enabling course side chassis repairs without much of the prep that would need to occur if the chassis used traditional paint or powder coat, not something hopefully I will need, but kind of cool. I can also keep the paint on hand easily to perform touch ups as needed, you can buy the stuff off Amazon.

The finish itself is I guess what I would call a matte - I don't expect glare to be an issue and if I end up doing the rest of the interior it will likely use the same material, I wanted to stay away from anything dark to try to keep as much heat out of the cabin as I could.

The cage is painted in the picture below.

That looks real nice Jason. Yeah, painting interiors with cages is not cheap in the least. $3K is actually a very good deal all things considered.
zbomb (05-27-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 10:15 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Thanks Tex ! I really am happy with the color also, very cool when something that only exists in your head starts to come to life.

Yeah John, he was giving me a favor price, he pretty much said if I took him up on it he may never do me another favor again by the time it was done haha. I just couldn't take that risk LOL. The budget for something that looks like yours will likely have to be....higher

I'm picking there car up Sunday, pretty jacked up. All my parts have landed and should get to start turning some wrenches this weekend. Lot to do, will be nice to get to doing it !

Last edited by zbomb; 05-28-2022 at 10:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
Jnelso (05-28-2022), yaz996 (05-28-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 12:21 PM
zbomb
Race Car

DONE !

The following 4 users liked this post by zbomb:
cwbrown (05-28-2022), GC996 (05-28-2022), TheChunkNorris (05-28-2022), yaz996 (05-28-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 02:48 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,775 Posts

I wish i had 3 days to spare... would be up there wrenching and would have that on the road with the biggest sunroof a coupe has ever seen .
The following 3 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
TheChunkNorris (05-28-2022), yaz996 (05-28-2022), zbomb (05-28-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 04:08 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
I wish i had 3 days to spare... would be up there wrenching and would have that on the road with the biggest sunroof a coupe has ever seen .
Wait just a G damn minute... does that mean you are NOT coming to put my car back together while i fumble around with tools pretending to help while complaining a lot and expending as little energy and brain power as possible ? Maybe while partially or fully **** faced... Is that what you're telling me ?

I THOUGHT we were friends.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:38 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,034 Likes on 941 Posts

We gotta start a GoFundMe and get you a fiberglass dash! The cage looks bad ***.

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996