Sponsored by:

UAOS install/tips/tricks

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 11:53 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,773 Likes on 2,152 Posts

Originally Posted by jandackson
So it sounds like I did install it correctly then @Porschetech3 ? I can live with it especially considering all the benefits the UAOS provides.

And thanks for the compliment on the engine. It should be clean since it only has about 700 miles on it.

BTW, so far, no oil in the catch can. And I passed CA SMOG today. No questions asked!
Yes you did it correctly, it really is pretty straightforward...

Thanks for letting me know you passed CA SMOG, so far all the UAOS Systems ( and it's quite a lot of them) that are in CA has passed with no questions asked.....I knew they were Legal, but didn't know if some knuckle-head Inspector may cause some grief..
The following users liked this post:
jandackson (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 02:33 PM
pauldvazquez
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
This is the best picture that has been posted showing how the coolant by-pass caps are installed for the UAOS kit....

So I think I will go through this very long thead and grab the best pictures and make some paint arrows ect, and do a "condensed thread" on how to install the UAOS since there are so many ways to go about it..

Coolant by-pass caps location
I think this is great idea. I would love to see a condensed version.
Porschetech3 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 07:44 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

Just a anecdotal report ,, My engine had the UAOS on it from day 1 when I got the motor back from flat 6.
I was having the too sensitive warning light, that has mostly resolved itself as the engine broke in..

Another bit,, I got about 1/3 cup of water in that I drained out the forst oils change, as the car has
broken in the amount of liquid captured has dropped a bit each 1000 miles..
Last time I checked I think I got a teaspoon out at by 2200 miles. (Not scientific mind you I use a small paper cup to drain the thing.. )

The following 2 users liked this post by pdxmotorhead:
Porschetech3 (09-14-2023), wdb (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 12:30 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Just a anecdotal report ,, My engine had the UAOS on it from day 1 when I got the motor back from flat 6.
I was having the too sensitive warning light, that has mostly resolved itself as the engine broke in..

Another bit,, I got about 1/3 cup of water in that I drained out the forst oils change, as the car has
Last time I checked I think I got a teaspoon out at by 2200 miles. (Not scientific mind you I use a small paper cup to drain the thing.. )

Thanks for giving your personal experience....it sounds absolutely perfect as expected during break-in...
Old 09-14-2023, 02:18 PM
jandackson
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 100 Posts

Wonder where the water came from? Condensation in the motor?

I have about 1000 miles on my 4.0 rebuild and I have not had any oil on my UAOS can. And it isn’t using much oil. Wonder what the difference is?
The following 2 users liked this post by jandackson:
damage98MO (09-14-2023), Porschetech3 (09-15-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 05:22 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 218 Posts

This is the best picture that has been posted showing how the coolant by-pass caps are installed for the UAOS kit....

A picture is worth a thousand words and this pic by @2mAn will help people that even though I put the exploded parts diagram in with the coolant by-pass kit that comes in the UAOS kit, I still get many many questions about how the caps are suppose to go..

So I think I will go through this very long thead and grab the best pictures and make some paint arrows ect, and do a "condensed thread" on how to install the UAOS since there are so many ways to go about it..

Coolant by-pass caps location
That would be very helpful Skip. As you know Talin at Import Performance did the UAOS install for me, so I know next to nothing about it. Now that I'm in the sticks, I'm looking for any info that will help. There's no Talin for me to count on here, that's for sure. In fact I upgraded my AAA to the 'premier' level, so if I break down, I can have the car towed to Halifax Porsche. Ok so far, and it's never failed me yet. The roads here are awesome. I'm trying to get plenty of drives in before the salt goes on the roads. Grrr.
Porschetech3 (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 05:49 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

I have about 1000 miles on my 4.0 rebuild and I have not had any oil on my UAOS can. And it isn’t using much oil. Wonder what the difference is?
I live in Oregon it was June when I was first breaking it in,, and I was religiously keeping it under 4K for the first 1500.
I also broke it in with E-Free 92. Maybe the non E gas has more moisture content?

Once the motor started really seating in it definitely stopped collecting much of anything, especially once I could run the full RPM range..
Porschetech3 (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 11:50 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Default Water 101

I live in Oregon it was June when I was first breaking it in,, and I was religiously keeping it under 4K for the first 1500.
I also broke it in with E-Free 92. Maybe the non E gas has more moisture content?

Once the motor started really seating in it definitely stopped collecting much of anything, especially once I could run the full RPM range..
Water is a by-product of the combustion process of Internal Combustion Engines..

For every gallon of gasoline burned, a gallon of water is produced ( most going out of the tailpipe as water vapor).. I know it is hard to believe, but is true facts..

On a healthy M96 engine, 14LPM ( liters per minute) at idle or 80 LPM under full throttle, of combustion gases will enter the crankcase.due to "blow-by"( more before the engine is broken-in or if it is unhealthy)

Of this 14-80 LPM 13% will be water in the form of water vapor...

Water or water vapor ( H2o) is 33% oxygen 66% Hydrogen and will be re-burned through the crankcase ventilation system ( AOS System/UAOS System).as it is re-cycled through the combustion process..

During short trips , first starts, or cold weather, some of the water vapor can/will condense in the crankcase of the engine and Accumulator of the UAOS to form water, but will be returned back to water vapor/gas when the engine warms up to operating temps for a period of time and be re-burned leaving no water at all..

What are the causes high water accumulation in the crankcase of the engine or Accumulator of the UAOS:::

1.High blow-by due to fresh engine not yet broken -in , or by a worn engine that is not sealing properly
2 Short trips....any trip of less than 30 min is considered a short trip
3 Cold weather

Last edited by Porschetech3; 09-15-2023 at 01:59 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
Atevres (11-01-2023), fazm (09-15-2023), GC996 (11-03-2023), golock911 (09-15-2023), jandackson (09-16-2023), pdxmotorhead (09-16-2023), ScottBLEGO (09-26-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-01-2023, 07:27 PM
diddy2003
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 167 Posts

Skip, I bought the UAOS from you a few years ago. After some sensor issues, with it coming on every once in a while, I just unplugged it. I have the black anodized accumulator. I was looking at getting the drain, but I'm curious about which one to get, or what else I should get since I'm doing it. Should I get the UAOS High mileage/extreme track duty auto-drain for $175 or the UAOS high mileage/extreme track duty fittings for 75? Also, should I get the coolant bypass kit? I think that's about everything listed on your website. I don't know what version UAOS I bought from your since its been such a long time. Also, I'm glad things seem to be working out with you and Noah.
Ultimate AOS
Old 11-01-2023, 08:30 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

@diddy2003 the high mileage/Extreme Track Duty Auto-Drain comes in two forms a $175 and a $75 kit ...The only difference is that the $175 kit comes with a new oil fill pipe that has the Uniseal and brass connector pre-installed. The $75 kit you will have to drill a 1/2" ( .500") hole in your existing ( new/fresh) oil fill tube and install the Uniseal and brass connector...Both kits have the Banjo fitting, Banjo Bolt, clamps, and hose, and are the exact same function....

Have you tried turning the Sensor 90* from it's installed position? The early Sensors were sensitive to water vapor and marking them and turning them 90* in either direction would place them in a less sensitive area of the tip...I had SST Sensing in the UK make us a specific Sensor for our cars that is much less sensitive to water vapor and takes real submersion to switch states..Plug the Sensor back in and turn it 90* and see if that fixes it...I want all the Systems to be used as designed..

The coolant by-pass kit has been included with all UAOS 996 kits for about two years. Only the very first ones didn't get the coolant by-pass kit. Are you sure yours does not have the coolant by-passed?

Yes, I just last week shipped Noah 300lbs of 6061 Aluminum sawed blocks to make a dozen UIDS's to be delivered by Christmas,most of them already paid for, I have a few Cayman/Boxster ones that have not been spoken for..

Last edited by Porschetech3; 11-01-2023 at 08:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
damage98MO (11-01-2023), GC996 (11-03-2023), wdb (11-02-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 05:08 PM
Outatimemk
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

@Porschetech3 I’m investigating a vacuum leak and I found the following part on my UAOS is loose and can basically pop out. So, it seems I may have found my leak, but what do I do about this?

Also, it looks like the drain from below the UAOS is leaking ever so slightly.

Attached are the videos.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7209.mov (11.13 MB, 53 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_7210.mov (16.13 MB, 28 views)
Old 11-03-2023, 05:47 PM
Outatimemk
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Another one! You can see a stream of smoke coming out of the top of the UAOS connection in the rear.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:22 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

I can send you another CNC Black Anodized Accumulator and you can just swap it out ( two screws +clamps) .

Send the old one back, I can fix it easily...Those aluminum tubes are just pressed in to the aluminum accumulator with .004" press fit...

The Banjo Bolt/fitting should be torqued to snug + 1/4 turn....

Those connections are on the crankcase side of the flow regulator and will not cause much of a vacuum leak, because there is not much vacuum there (3-5 inh20), so be sure to retest after those are fixed..

Last edited by Porschetech3; 11-03-2023 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-04-2023, 10:17 AM
diddy2003
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 167 Posts

@diddy2003 the high mileage/Extreme Track Duty Auto-Drain comes in two forms a $175 and a $75 kit ...The only difference is that the $175 kit comes with a new oil fill pipe that has the Uniseal and brass connector pre-installed. The $75 kit you will have to drill a 1/2" ( .500") hole in your existing ( new/fresh) oil fill tube and install the Uniseal and brass connector...Both kits have the Banjo fitting, Banjo Bolt, clamps, and hose, and are the exact same function....

Have you tried turning the Sensor 90* from it's installed position? The early Sensors were sensitive to water vapor and marking them and turning them 90* in either direction would place them in a less sensitive area of the tip...I had SST Sensing in the UK make us a specific Sensor for our cars that is much less sensitive to water vapor and takes real submersion to switch states..Plug the Sensor back in and turn it 90* and see if that fixes it...I want all the Systems to be used as designed..

The coolant by-pass kit has been included with all UAOS 996 kits for about two years. Only the very first ones didn't get the coolant by-pass kit. Are you sure yours does not have the coolant by-passed?

Yes, I just last week shipped Noah 300lbs of 6061 Aluminum sawed blocks to make a dozen UIDS's to be delivered by Christmas,most of them already paid for, I have a few Cayman/Boxster ones that have not been spoken for..
Thanks Skip. I texted you last night when I was with Noah doing an oil change on the car. I ended up ordering the drain with the new oil fill pipe and the coolant bypass kit. I wasn't sure if I had the bypass kit or not. I will adjust the sensor when I put them on.
Old 11-04-2023, 12:01 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by diddy2003
Thanks Skip. I texted you last night when I was with Noah doing an oil change on the car. I ended up ordering the drain with the new oil fill pipe and the coolant bypass kit. I wasn't sure if I had the bypass kit or not. I will adjust the sensor when I put them on.

Hi Patrick, I got you order and have the high mileage/Extreme Track Duty Auto-Drain kit and coolant by-pass kit in hand, I just need to box them up and ship them. I mite get them shipped out today or Monday for sure..

Tell Noah hi for me and I am anxious for him to start making aluminum chips...lol
diddy2003 (11-04-2023)

Quick Reply: UAOS install/tips/tricks