996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2019 Engine Rebuild Comparison RND/FSI/EBS/Vertex

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 04:00 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I have a Chevy Volt for daily driver, over 90k miles on it. I have a 996 4s stock 6 speed for fun sprints on back roads and other fun trips. I have a 997.2 4s with Jake's 4.0L Stage II when I want to be obnoxiously loud and drive faster than you should even think about going. It will see the track eventually.
The following users liked this post:
zbomb (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 04:03 PM
HoustonCgrBkr
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

There is a guy Chavis (sp) performance has done several LS swaps and has a wire harness to hook up and all the gauges and AC work. The price is about the same, looking at a year long wait. To each their own.
JohnCA58 (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 04:07 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
Tex... I know your situated but as an FYI.

AC, CEL, gauges (CAN Comms) are good with the setup I mention, PS is a conversion to electric (same as Cup), which I think would be a worthy change on an M96 FWIW.
That's good that all of that is solved.
The vehicle I'm considering swapping is pre-OBDII and not nearly as developed.
Seem like the power steering is relatively easy to resolve, but I've yet to find someone who has solved gauges and AC.
I assume I can figure out AC myself. (using vintage air or similar)
But it would be nice if someone had proved it before I get started.
But gauges may require replacing the dash pod.
Texas emissions are a non-issue since it is (well over) over 25 years old.

This is likely a "when I retire" project, which is but a few years away.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:42 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,775 Likes on 2,160 Posts

Gents, what this invaluable thread shows us is that we have options. Because eventually we will need one of them. I suspect with 996 prices going up rather substantially, we may have even more options.

Can't wait until the kids are off the payroll...
The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
TexSquirrel (05-03-2021), zbomb (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 05:56 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
AC, CEL, gauges (CAN Comms) are good with the setup I mention, PS is a conversion to electric (same as Cup), which I think would be a worthy change on an M96 FWIW.
I wonder if the PS can be turned off? I saw a Turbo S or GT LS swap YouTube where the PS was on a switch. So super light steering for low speeds, around town, parking, then you could turn it off at speed, which I bet might feel pretty great if it’s done the right way.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:59 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,808 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
I wonder if the PS can be turned off? I saw a Turbo S or GT LS swap YouTube where the PS was on a switch. So super light steering for low speeds, around town, parking, then you could turn it off at speed, which I bet might feel pretty great if it’s done the right way.
Yup... I have a friend with a 6Cup with the electric PS, he leaves it on around paddock and kills it when on track.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:06 AM
cpemd
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey guys, in speaking w/ jason outside of RL this past week and being made aware of this thread feel it’s a good time to introduce myself

my name’s tyler and am the owner of chavis performance & engineering (cpe). while i don’t force our work on anyone as i’m a firm believer of “to each their own” feel that the LS conversion has unfortunately received a bad wrap thanks to the likes of “hoovie’s garage”. while he makes for great entertainment while eating my morning breakfast, feel his take on the whole conversion is rather lackluster and somewhat misleading especially considering the fact that he opted for a junkyard ls2, w/ no baffling/oil control, and raced it around the track w/ a sump facing the wrong way (under acceleration oil literally sloshes away from the pickup when using a standard corvette/fbody oil pan!)

i have been performing these conversions on 996/997 cars since ‘17 and can say unequivocally that they perform just as well (if not better) than their factory counterparts especially when setup correctly w/ a properly baffled/trap door front sump pan (this allows oil to pour into such/around the pickup under acceleration), a proper set of coilovers/dialed in suspension, and of course almost double the power of the factory H6!

pair that w/ the peace of mind only found in a 30mo/50k mile warranty and you have quite the argument. aside from all the technical data i can provide we have these cars running strictly off the gm e38 pcm w/ 100% factory functionality and no hacking of the factory wiring to the point where if you decided an LS isn’t for you (which you wouldn’t LOL) you can simply revert back to your 3.4/3.6/3.8

i’m here to answer any questions you may have and to bust a few myths! here’s a few cars we’ve done ...

The following 2 users liked this post by cpemd:
brontosaurus (05-04-2021), islaTurbine (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 05:54 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Not all those noises are bore scoring

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I decided to use your car for this, because it is such an epic case.. It is the perfect poster child for this issue, and will help put things into perspective for those who have the same symptoms, which lead to the same diagnoses. Awareness that this sound is NOT a “lifter noise” is the key to keep people from wasting money on mis- diagnosed cases.

Last week a 991 owner with bore scoring had a dealer diagnose the issue.. “You need lifters”. The lifter job was done, at a cost of 8,000 bucks. No dice, noise was still there.... Now they are attempting to change the exhaust lifters, still hopelessly chasing the wrong issue. More wasted money will result.
I started a thread on my 3/98 996 engine ticking noise. Anyway after Tex squirrel ran all the durametric stuff and everything being excellent, no oil consumption no smoke or soot. Squirrel video the noise and most people said bore scoring piston slap. Anyway Porsche Tech 3 said your car has lokasil 1 which is a lot better than latter models. I seen those noises before from cats and also carbon deposits. Anyway 2 weeks ago Tex Squirrel help me put CRC GDI after the air box thru the boot towards the Trottle while I tried best to keep rpms at 2,000. I let the car sit for about 1.5 hours)instructions called for 1 hour soak time. Anyway after driving the car for 30 minutes 10 of which need to be highway speed, it was done, Anyway PorsheTech had suggested Seafoam, I chose CRC because I have a ton of experience with their products and also the straw is a lot beefier in the CRC, both products same price. I have driven the car for about 200 miles now thanks to the Porsche gods and PorscheTech3 no ticking noise. I can’t wait to see squirrel again so we can do a short video. Can you guys Imagine how much money someone could have charge for fixing this. Hell they could have keep the car in shop for a week and then say $4,000. If you are hearing the noise and don’t have any of the other symptoms go ahead and spend the $10 for the CRC. Or also make sure as PorscheTech 3 says check the cats.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:31 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,775 Likes on 2,160 Posts

Originally Posted by cpemd
hey guys, in speaking w/ jason outside of RL this past week and being made aware of this thread feel it’s a good time to introduce myself

my name’s tyler and am the owner of chavis performance & engineering (cpe). while i don’t force our work on anyone as i’m a firm believer of “to each their own” feel that the LS conversion has unfortunately received a bad wrap thanks to the likes of “hoovie’s garage”. while he makes for great entertainment while eating my morning breakfast, feel his take on the whole conversion is rather lackluster and somewhat misleading especially considering the fact that he opted for a junkyard ls2, w/ no baffling/oil control, and raced it around the track w/ a sump facing the wrong way (under acceleration oil literally sloshes away from the pickup when using a standard corvette/fbody oil pan!)

i have been performing these conversions on 996/997 cars since ‘17 and can say unequivocally that they perform just as well (if not better) than their factory counterparts especially when setup correctly w/ a properly baffled/trap door front sump pan (this allows oil to pour into such/around the pickup under acceleration), a proper set of coilovers/dialed in suspension, and of course almost double the power of the factory H6!

pair that w/ the peace of mind only found in a 30mo/50k mile warranty and you have quite the argument. aside from all the technical data i can provide we have these cars running strictly off the gm e38 pcm w/ 100% factory functionality and no hacking of the factory wiring to the point where if you decided an LS isn’t for you (which you wouldn’t LOL) you can simply revert back to your 3.4/3.6/3.8

i’m here to answer any questions you may have and to bust a few myths! here’s a few cars we’ve done ...

Tyler and Jason, thanks for the info. I am a firm believer in the more options the better depending on what you want for your 996.

There is a rather fascinating development in the 996 market that is taking shape before our very eyes. With used 996 prices going up dramatically it's inevitable that 996 owners will shift their mindset from selling their car as a roller when the engine goes, to instead, rebuilding or replacing their engine. In essence the economic decision becomes more favorable.

Last edited by GC996; 05-04-2021 at 06:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
plpete84 (05-04-2021), zbomb (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 06:34 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default There is always faster cars.

Originally Posted by Optionman1
I have a Chevy Volt for daily driver, over 90k miles on it. I have a 996 4s stock 6 speed for fun sprints on back roads and other fun trips. I have a 997.2 4s with Jake's 4.0L Stage II when I want to be obnoxiously loud and drive faster than you should even think about going. It will see the track eventually.
if you think that 4.0 is fast you should have driven my HPA twin turbo 04 R32. When I was looking for my 996, I drove a C4s and kept trying to compare to the R32, I sold the R32 back in 2013. I know this is a Porsche thread and I love my 3/98 coupe but honestly I prefer the r32 to the C4s. Those were my fast and the furious days, my slow car was the shark or as the wife called it the pimp mobile 1985 M635CSI , it had a $3,000 paint job. The R32 was the rocket car.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:28 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
if you think that 4.0 is fast you should have driven my HPA twin turbo 04 R32. When I was looking for my 996, I drove a C4s and kept trying to compare to the R32, I sold the R32 back in 2013. I know this is a Porsche thread and I love my 3/98 coupe but honestly I prefer the r32 to the C4s. Those were my fast and the furious days, my slow car was the shark or as the wife called it the pimp mobile 1985 M635CSI , it had a $3,000 paint job. The R32 was the rocket car.
plpete84 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:41 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

What I’d like to know is what part of the most recent trend of this thread that was awoken from the dead has to do with any engine conversion?

This was a thread that was started with the intention of comparing rebuild options of the original M9X engine.

If someone wishes to converse about the LS, might I suggest a new thread?

I also might suggest that those with commercial intent become PAID supporters of Rennlist. We have to pay a lot of money to be a member of this community, just so we can come here to answer questions, and give free advice. We’ve been doing this for years, and were not given an option.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:56 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
What I’d like to know is what part of the most recent trend of this thread that was awoken from the dead has to do with any engine conversion?

This was a thread that was started with the intention of comparing rebuild options of the original M9X engine.

If someone wishes to converse about the LS, might I suggest a new thread?
05/05/2019 - Nothing new for the thread with regards to the discussion...

Originally Posted by rechtien
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/05/...021&yptr=yahoo

Maybe add this to the list? 30k 😀
Originally Posted by dporto
Good luck shoe-horning that into a 996
Originally Posted by Coopduc
True, but an LS3 will fit and has been done many times. At the risk of being blasphemous, it would be interesting to include an LS3 crate engine in the analysis. There is no disputing the power increase, and some claim it can be done cheaper than rebuilding a stock engine. I don’t think the latter is true without using a junkyard engine and lots of hand fabrication.
Originally Posted by 808Bill
Yah, so many throw out the LS swap comment like they know what they're talking about, most don't!
Originally Posted by wsrgklt
Tyler Hoover documented his build with a junkyard LS3 and the Renegade kit.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-video...w-much--269126

Parts were about $14k and it was 85 hours of labor. That brought his cost to around $17k total. It puts the LS swap in the same neighborhood as a rebuild. Maybe a viable option for someone who has cheap/free labor and who doesn’t consider a flat six integral to the 911 experience.

Looks like using a new crate motor motor would add another $3-4K to the cost.
Originally Posted by bpoteat
It should also be noted that he also blew the ls engine shortly after the swap.
Originally Posted by turbogrill
Nice thing with LS engines is that they can be had for cheap on junkyards. So if your engine blows then you just buy a junkyard engine for $2000 (or spend $20k on a built one. Whatever you want).

I don't think the swap makes sense since its so expensive, you can have a solid m96 for the same price.

If the swap was $5k - $10k then it would be a very interesting option and would be a dream track car.
Originally Posted by wildbilly32
From Speedway Motors $7363: Hoovey did the swap on the cheap. It is much more expensive than his numbers. 808 has recently shopped a professional conversion I just don't remember the numbers.

Chevrolet Performance 19369326 LS3 6.2 LS Crate Engine, 430 HP

LS3 Chevy LS V8, 376 cu. in. Engine Displacement, Deluxe Crate Engine Crate Engine Type

Chevrolet Performance Parts estimates this item will ship on or before May 15th.
Part # 35519369326
Save 6%$7,362.99$7,911.00
each

Originally Posted by jim010
I would also point out that another youtuber bought Hoovie's 996 and took apart the LS3 and found oil starvation was the cause of the blowup. Apparently it was because the engine was mounted backwards and the baffling in the oil pan wasn't designed for that or something? I would assume there is a fix? Considering there have been quite a few LS swaps, no reason to believe that Hoovie's experience is the norm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpV_HZAoZxg

Also, if we are doing powertrain alternatives, why not include electric? There have been a few conversions for a 996 so far, no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FpezUUpSsw
Old 05-04-2021, 09:12 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

True, I guess after 2 years I forgot that someone took the thread way off topic in the beginning.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:35 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default 9XX Motors

Since I haven't seen the spreadsheet I don't know if 9XX was included in the analysis. I have spoken with Jason at 9XX and he seems knowledgeable and has given me some good advice. I have also meet two guys that went with this option and one of the guys already has 26,000 on the engine no concerns. Both of these like the flexibility that 9XX offers. Yes I also met a guy that has I believe 4.0 from FSI , the engine looks real cool in his car because the car is black and has the red details. I saw him at the club concourse de elegance show. He was really satisfied with the engine. The car also has some FSI badging. Since now I don't have to worry about a rebuilt ill continue learning, enjoying trips to triple digits and maybe I buy a convertible.

Quick Reply: 2019 Engine Rebuild Comparison RND/FSI/EBS/Vertex