996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2019 Engine Rebuild Comparison RND/FSI/EBS/Vertex

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 11:23 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Bringing this thread back up - I think good to refresh the info and I wanted to add some info I got from a vendor that does LS swaps.

New LS3 530HP Turn Key swap. Full factory function - cluster, AC. 30 month / 50K Mile warranty Dyno tuned and tested using HP tuners on GM E38 Engine ECU

$30K

Go from the LS3 to an LS7 with 625HP for $35K.

These are new crate engines from Blueprint.

Expect from a DIY - $15K minus the engine from the vendor I spoke to. So, if you were to start off with a used motor - the cost would be considerably less that the new engine turn key solutions I refer to above.

If anyone wants the vendor info, feel free to shoot me a PM. They were referred to me by the President of an aftermarket components company that makes very high end parts. Take it FWIW.
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (05-02-2021)
Old 05-02-2021, 12:53 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
Bringing this thread back up - I think good to refresh the info and I wanted to add some info I got from a vendor that does LS swaps.

New LS3 530HP Turn Key swap. Full factory function - cluster, AC. 30 month / 50K Mile warranty Dyno tuned and tested using HP tuners on GM E38 Engine ECU

$30K

Go from the LS3 to an LS7 with 625HP for $35K.

These are new crate engines from Blueprint.

Expect from a DIY - $15K minus the engine from the vendor I spoke to. So, if you were to start off with a used motor - the cost would be considerably less that the new engine turn key solutions I refer to above.

If anyone wants the vendor info, feel free to shoot me a PM. They were referred to me by the President of an aftermarket components company that makes very high end parts. Take it FWIW.
Dang! Gotta admit, turnkey for $30k sounds great. Buy a roller and you have a Turbo performance for less.

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 05-02-2021 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:10 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Dang! Gotta admit, turnkey for $30k sounds great. Buy a roller and you have a Turbo performance for less.
If your motor is running when you pull it out - sell it and recoup...maybe $6-10K of that price. Gets you in the door there for a comparable M96 rebuild investment cost wise.

I think it's something worth considering for the huge performance, and warranty coverage. Maybe some peace of mind that you don't have to worry about some of the inherent M96 issues that remain even after you have spent $20K+ on a rebuild...
Mike Murphy (05-02-2021)
Old 05-02-2021, 02:25 PM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Any idea what the weight difference is between the flat six and Gm engines?
Old 05-02-2021, 03:37 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,442 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by nrp3
I think the gm was around 60lbs more
Old 05-02-2021, 04:47 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by nrp3
I have read various accounts that the M96 W/Exhaust is around 450 LBS.

If you say the exhaust weighs about 50 LBS and could be used on both engines, call it about 400 LBS.

An LS3 with accesories is 418 LBS https://www.chevyhardcore.com/featur...-dyno-results/GM 6.2-liter LS3 V8:
  • Length: 28.75 inches
  • Height: 28.25 inches
  • Width: 24.75 inches
  • Weight: 418 pounds (with accessories)

Old 05-02-2021, 06:03 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 790 Likes on 506 Posts

My question is: where is the weight located in each engine? It seems illogical to me that a V8 engine weight is as low as an opposed 6. I guess if you just want a drag car ok, but I'll pass. I didn't spend anywhere near $30k, have an unmolested car that still handles as it should with more HP and torque than factory. I prefer not to own a Frankencar. To each their own...
I have read various accounts that the M96 W/Exhaust is around 450 LBS.

If you say the exhaust weighs about 50 LBS and could be used on both engines, call it about 400 LBS.

An LS3 with accesories is 418 LBS https://www.chevyhardcore.com/featur...-dyno-results/GM 6.2-liter LS3 V8:
  • Length: 28.75 inches
  • Height: 28.25 inches
  • Width: 24.75 inches
  • Weight: 418 pounds (with accessories)
Old 05-02-2021, 06:18 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
My question is: where is the weight located in each engine? It seems illogical to me that a V8 engine weight is as low as an opposed 6. I guess if you just want a drag car ok, but I'll pass. I didn't spend anywhere near $30k, have an unmolested car that still handles as it should with more HP and torque than factory. I prefer not to own a Frankencar. To each their own...
You don't have an unmolested car - you have one with a rebuilt motor, which is great, not a negative, a positive. A "molested" 996 - to use your term - can be a MUCH better 996 than came from the factory

I don't know what a Frankencar is - it is not a stretch though to think that a 996, with a properly executed LS will outperform the M96 in EVERY measurable performance, reliability and cost of ownership metric.

The drag car thing is complete bull ****..you have no idea how the car would handle with an LS. I would hazard a guess...my car with an LS would absolutely smoke your car with your M96 on any track or road in America - straight, road course, rally or hill climb.

And thats not to say that the swap is purely for performance, its to highlight a point - the "if you want a drag car" statement is silly.

How much did you spend, ballpark would be fine and does the engine builder approve of your engine for track use ? What is the rated HP/TQ and did the builder provide a dyno sheet to backup the claims ? Does the warranty match the 30 month / 50K mile you get on say a 530HP Blueprint engines LS3 ?

Last edited by zbomb; 05-02-2021 at 06:23 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by zbomb:
brontosaurus (05-03-2021), JohnCA58 (05-03-2021), plpete84 (05-02-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 07:35 AM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Sounds like the weight gain is inconsequential considering the power gain. Someone's doing one of these locally, I've only seen the photos. Now that I've gotten the second shot, it's time to introduce myself and see if I can get a look at how it's going.
Mike Murphy (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 07:45 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 211 Likes on 135 Posts

The only thing I don't like about the LS swap is the idea of cutting the car.

When someone develops a electric crate motor drop-in for the 996, they can have all my money.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:59 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Apparently you missed the part where I said "To each their own..." I did not intend this to be a "my car is faster than your car" issue. I outgrew that in high school.

You did not answer the question of how high up is the weight of a V8 in a 996 compared to stock and what, if any, consequences this might present in handling. Keep in mind the old saying "the guy/gal who is quickest through the corner is quickest down the straight." I could care less if an LS 996 would out run my car on a track. If I wanted to race again I would buy a "proper" race car.

As for the rest of your questions:
#1: A reasonable amount to me
#2: Not a track car so I don't care(see above)
#3: Plenty of HP/TQ
#4: Yes
#5: Don't care

Calm down. I was not attacking nor besmirching your previous post. In fact I considered an LS conversion until I realized the consequences/costs of such a modification.
You don't have an unmolested car - you have one with a rebuilt motor, which is great, not a negative, a positive. A "molested" 996 - to use your term - can be a MUCH better 996 than came from the factory

I don't know what a Frankencar is - it is not a stretch though to think that a 996, with a properly executed LS will outperform the M96 in EVERY measurable performance, reliability and cost of ownership metric.

The drag car thing is complete bull ****..you have no idea how the car would handle with an LS. I would hazard a guess...my car with an LS would absolutely smoke your car with your M96 on any track or road in America - straight, road course, rally or hill climb.

And thats not to say that the swap is purely for performance, its to highlight a point - the "if you want a drag car" statement is silly.

How much did you spend, ballpark would be fine and does the engine builder approve of your engine for track use ? What is the rated HP/TQ and did the builder provide a dyno sheet to backup the claims ? Does the warranty match the 30 month / 50K mile you get on say a 530HP Blueprint engines LS3 ?
Old 05-03-2021, 11:29 AM
zbomb
Race Car

I did not intend this to be a "my car is faster than your car" issue. I outgrew that in high school.

As I said and can be see above... reference was to your drag car portrait of an LS swapped car...

You did not answer the question of how high up is the weight of a V8 in a 996 compared to stock and what, if any, consequences this might present in handling. Keep in mind the old saying "the guy/gal who is quickest through the corner is quickest down the straight."
Dont know...

I could care less if an LS 996 would out run my car on a track. If I wanted to race again I would buy a "proper" race car.
Well, some people like to take their 996’s to the track for DE days (Not racing)... An engine that can run at the track (even stock M96) may be important to some.

As for the rest of your questions:
How much did you spend, ballpark would be fine
A reasonable amount to me
Cool

does the engine builder approve of your engine for track use
Not a track car so I don't care(see above)
I will infer this as a no.

What is the rated HP/TQ
Plenty of HP/TQ
?

did the builder provide a dyno sheet to backup the claims
Yes
Great !

Does the warranty match the 30 month / 50K mile you get on say a 530HP Blueprint engines LS3 ?
Don't care
OK.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:45 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Like I said to each their own...
The following 2 users liked this post by wildbilly32:
Optionman1 (05-03-2021), zbomb (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 03:43 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
The only thing I don't like about the LS swap is the idea of cutting the car.
That was one thing that bothers me...the other is inoperable gauges, power steering, AC, TX emission issues.
This is one of the things making me pause my plan to LS swap another vehicle.
Right now I just don't have the time required to solve these known issues.
Engine swaps often fail/stall because of all the unknowns.

When someone develops a electric crate motor drop-in for the 996, they can have all my money.
I'll drive my gas powered 996 until I die, or I can't purchase fuel.
I wouldn't mind eventually having an electric car for local daily driving, but it sure as h#(( won't be my 996.

Last edited by TexSquirrel; 05-03-2021 at 03:46 PM.
paddlefoot64 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 03:54 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
That was one thing that bothers me...the other is inoperable gauges, power steering, AC, TX emission issues.
This is one of the things making me pause my plan to LS swap another vehicle.
Right now I just don't have the time required to solve these known issues.
Engine swaps often fail/stall because of all the unknowns.

I'll drive my gas powered 996 until I die, or I can't purchase fuel.
I wouldn't mind eventually having an electric car for local daily driving, but it sure as h#(( won't be my 996.
Tex... I know your situated but as an FYI.

AC, CEL, gauges (CAN Comms) are good with the setup I mention, PS is a conversion to electric (same as Cup), which I think would be a worthy change on an M96 FWIW.
JohnCA58 (05-03-2021)

Quick Reply: 2019 Engine Rebuild Comparison RND/FSI/EBS/Vertex