996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2019 Engine Rebuild Comparison RND/FSI/EBS/Vertex

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 02:13 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

LOL - still have my Weber Genesis Silver from 2001 - except I'm in Canada, so it's the best $800 spent. Still have the orginal stainless steel grilles. The light in the handle broke one winter (C-cell batteries...not gonna last) and I replaced the igniter about 10 years ago. That's it.
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 02:18 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Great update and good to see progress! Reading the previous posts (in another thread) it sounded like the development was in very early stages just a few months ago and will take years with no plans of bringing it to market any time soon. Is the goal to still hit 100k miles of driving on the road for testing purposes?
We had been working on this, and building other test engines for 18 months before we said anything about it. We'd already had 2 efforts fail with the M9X testing before anyone on the outside knew what was being done. We didn't mention anything until we saw the first positive experience, and solved all the prior issues. There's still no plans to bring it to market anytime soon. I have a handful of really good, long time customers who are being offered engines using it, and a couple have bit the hook already.

Is the end game here to squirrel this away until Nickasil can't be used any longer bc environmentalists?
Basically, but there's always the possibility that it will be offered alongside Nikisil, if the environmentalists don't act as fast as we expect they will. It will be a lot more expensive unless the volume goes up beyond Nikisil.

This just leaves me with some questions given the above comments of cutting the cord on working on M9X engines at will. Could be next year or in 10 I guess. It will be good to keep this thread updated for other options, for the dreamers, if anything.
The cord can be cut any time, not just with the M9X, but any Porsche engine... I have been vetting people even harder than ever before in hopes that I will avoid the one ******* that reminds me that I'm wasting my life dealing with people. It'll likely happen as the employees who have worked for me for the last 20 years begin to retire.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:16 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 103 Posts

Do any of the engine providers have a core charge? I heard if purchasing long block from Porsche it is $8000 core charge on top of listed price.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:40 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 996.2
Do any of the engine providers have a core charge? I heard if purchasing long block from Porsche it is $8000 core charge on top of listed price.
Anyone doing mass production will have a core charge. The reason why is they keep engines built, ready for immediate sale. They will then depend on your "rebuildable core" to rebuild, and put back on their shelf to keep the circle of generic production going.
I see a lot of people get caught in a spider web with this, no matter who they are dealing with when it comes to a pre- built engine that is ready to sell. The core charge can be anywhere between 3-25K depending on the engine, and the core deposit funds are added on top of the invoice with the understanding that their core engine will be torn down, inspected, and then based on a menu of costs for each part that is "bad" the remainder of funds will then be credited back to the buyer.

The issue is, at this point the seller already has the funds, and they want to give back the minimum of those funds. Since the requirements that are set forth to define the "rebuildable core" are not shared up front, each part is looked at closely, and many (or all in some cases) are deemed unusable. In a lot of cases hardly any of the core money is refunded. If the company you are buying the engine from is based in Europe, things are further complicated, as any argument you have with them will end with further complications in regard to logistics, if you have a disagreement about what was not usable. They may charge you to dispose of the components, on top of you losing the core deposit funds.

This can be a slippery slope for people that enter into agreements that are open ended when it comes to what defines core assessments, and the charges they are associated with. I know one purchaser who ended up spending 56K for an engine that had a 25K price tag, all because of core assessments.

This is one thing that sets my company apart. Since we build the original engine from the car, with no swapping of engines, or parts there are no core charges/ assessments to deal with. I know up front if an engine is a total loss, and we usually don't accept those jobs because of trauma caused by the failure, and the hassles associated with sorting through adding extra costs to deal with them. I also think that people coming our way value knowing their original engine (with known mileage and use) is being retained for our hand- built version, rather than getting an engine built from cores gathered from several engines, that may have hundreds of thousands of miles on them, had been in a flood, or etc. This is a lot like building a house, you can build a mansion on a cracked foundation, and end up with a pile of junk.

Every so often a failure will sneak up on us, and be worse than we expect, and we have to deal with trauma even though we tried to avoid it. One just got us last week with an M97.21, and we are sorting through it simply, and it will only add a couple grand to the bottom line. This one failed on the street, and with the symptoms that were reported I assumed that damage would be less extensive. Had this engine been sent in as a "core" to a mass producer, it would have been a loss of at least 12K in "core assessed parts". Of course, he would have been led to believe that he'd get all his money back, or at least "most of it".
In short, core charges suck.

996.2 (05-12-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 03:02 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 964 Posts

Jake raby I appreciate and applaud your dedication towards honest assessment and transparency I’m new to the 911 world and hopefully when my motor gives out
haven’t even driven it yet it’s on a trailer up from Florida but when I’m ready I hope you’re still here for me at least
thanks Mike
Optionman1 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 03:06 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by NYPOWR4
Jake raby I appreciate and applaud your dedication towards honest assessment and transparency I’m new to the 911 world and hopefully when my motor gives out
haven’t even driven it yet it’s on a trailer up from Florida but when I’m ready I hope you’re still here for me at least
thanks Mike
Thank you. If you end up coming our way, you'll think that you've stepped back in time. That's not a bad thing :-)
Old 05-11-2021, 03:15 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default My car doesn’t uses any oil.

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
It's done for the M9X. It's all about just racking up miles now. All the issues of the first 3 generations of testing have been eliminated, and Lake is driving one of the test cars 1,000 miles or so per week with flawless results, and the cleanest oil samples ever, along with the lowest oil consumption we've ever seen from any M9X.

Now we just wait, while I finish developing it for the 9a1 and Aircooled engines.

Hell, we're even doing an LS with SUMEBore...
4,000 miles no oil use . Now is an early car, lokasil one. Based on service history all services but two out of 42 records Mobil one 0w40. By the we way compression is great. No I’m not tracking this car but every time I take it thru the heat cycle in now my two days per week drives, a triple digit trip for fun. Also never shifted higher than 6750.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:19 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 786 Likes on 504 Posts

I got my same engine back...sorta.

Doesn't run, sound or act the same, but I'm told it is the same engine...on the outside!

Thanks, Jake!
Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
This is one thing that sets my company apart. Since we build the original engine from the car, with no swapping of engines, or parts there are no core charges/ assessments to deal with. I know up front if an engine is a total loss, and we usually don't accept those jobs because of trauma caused by the failure, and the hassles associated with sorting through adding extra costs to deal with them. I also think that people coming our way value knowing their original engine (with known mileage and use) is being retained for our hand- built version, rather than getting an engine built from cores gathered from several engines, that may have hundreds of thousands of miles on them, had been in a flood, or etc. This is a lot like building a house, you can build a mansion on a cracked foundation, and end up with a pile of junk.
The following 2 users liked this post by wildbilly32:
GH996 (05-11-2021), jobyt (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 03:21 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
4,000 miles no oil use . Now is an early car, lokasil one. Based on service history all services but two out of 42 records Mobil one 0w40. By the we way compression is great. No I’m not tracking this car but every time I take it thru the heat cycle in now my two days per week drives, a triple digit trip for fun. Also never shifted higher than 6750.
Just drive it, and continue to fall in love with it. That makes decisions later a lot easier.

I got my same engine back...sorta.

Doesn't run, sound or act the same, but I'm told it is the same engine...on the outside!

[img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img]

Thanks, Jake!
Yep, you got it all back.. Heads, cams, working, and of course the matching numbers crankcase.

Old 05-11-2021, 04:10 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Zbomb I don’t know you but if you want to compare resumes bring it on

Originally Posted by zbomb
That underline bold thing... I got it

Ya know. It’s a little weird - not to be a conspiracy theorist or anything.

But the LS talk way back 2 years ago, almost to the day, didn’t make anyone say boo.

But, when it’s detailed - with pricing, specific output, warranty, factory functionality... Now it’s OT and should be removed from a thread that I thought, was of the intent to highlight - with actual numbers and data someone’s options should they need an engine.

I sent the OP a PM, told him if he wants me to take the LS swap stuff down because it was not inline with his intentions when he created the thread, I’m happy to do so... too much good work he did to have the thread not in-line with his intent.

The ****ing barbecue, R32’s, selling old cars, thinking about selling old cars and if we think porsches are special or not is noise and adds absolutely no value for someone wondering what to do after their ****ing engine blew up or worried about what they will do if their engine blows up.

if the OP thinks the LS talk is in the same category as that bull ****, I’ll pull my posts in a heart beat.
I think Jake is a cool guy and know his stuff, he is not the only option. Dude I had info and first hand data on a lot of stuff at Hendricks motorsports, Gibbs racing, and roush racing, three college degrees, travelled to over 110 countries all over the world and etc etc etc. Oil analysis I used to go to the lab prepare blind oil samples send it to 75 labs all over the world and got the results, then I would tell them what lab equipment was bad. Every three months. I had access to one of the 4 certified api engine labs. You don’t know half of the technology that’s out there. Regarding BBQ, most people just buy a pellet grill and set it and forget it. An offset smoker that you have to watch for 18 hours cooking 100 briskets for a charity
giving back to the community for cancer, and all other kinds of special operations or benefits for sick child’s. Anyway I do admire Jake for his knowledge and the way he is and runs his program probably has to do with the fact that he probably serve which I didn’t and he probably read the book treat your employees like customers and customers like employees. FYI I formally retired in 2011, did the eurospec mb and bmw for a couple of years and probably the mistakes that I made was
choosing the wrong partner and build the cars to my taste. Anyway FYI, I was offered a Job as a navy nuclear engineer and I said no to a three star admiral in Annapolis, thou I had a great trip to a Annapolis, had a great 3
day trip plus took the qualification exam and pass it. I have always been an outcast and since I could not choose where they were going to put me I could have been stuck in a submarine that was under water 6 months at a time, I liked the females way too much. By the way can you tell me how many people retire at 43 with enough for the rest of their life’s. The rest of my year, padre island in June for a week with the family, 4th of July two weeks with my surgeon bro in Tampa clear water in Fl, Formula 1 race circuit of the America’s, December With family for two weeks. 2 front beach condos Caribbean beach blue water, white sand, no snow.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:21 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,808 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
I think Jake is a cool guy and know his stuff, he is not the only option. Dude I had info and first hand data on a lot of stuff at Hendricks motorsports, Gibbs racing, and roush racing, three college degrees, travelled to over 110 countries all over the world and etc etc etc. Oil analysis I used to go to the lab prepare blind oil samples send it to 75 labs all over the world and got the results, then I would tell them what lab equipment was bad. Every three months. I had access to one of the 4 certified api engine labs. You don’t know half of the technology that’s out there. Regarding BBQ, most people just buy a pellet grill and set it and forget it. An offset smoker that you have to watch for 18 hours cooking 100 briskets for a charity
giving back to the community for cancer, and all other kinds of special operations or benefits for sick child’s. Anyway I do admire Jake for his knowledge and the way he is and runs his program probably has to do with the fact that he probably serve which I didn’t and he probably read the book treat your employees like customers and customers like employees. FYI I formally retired in 2011, did the eurospec mb and bmw for a couple of years and probably the mistakes that I made was
choosing the wrong partner and build the cars to my taste. Anyway FYI, I was offered a Job as a navy nuclear engineer and I said no to a three star admiral in Annapolis, thou I had a great trip to a Annapolis, had a great 3
day trip plus took the qualification exam and pass it. I have always been an outcast and since I could not choose where they were going to put me I could have been stuck in a submarine that was under water 6 months at a time, I liked the females way too much. By the way can you tell me how many people retire at 43 with enough for the rest of their life’s. The rest of my year, padre island in June for a week with the family, 4th of July two weeks with my surgeon bro in Tampa clear water in Fl, Formula 1 race circuit of the America’s, December With family for two weeks. 2 front beach condos Caribbean beach blue water, white sand, no snow.

Haha... dude, gotta say - I have no idea what the **** you’re talking about... like not a bit....

You do your thing though, you don’t need a dummy like me to get it... you probably do better with the smart people.

ETA... I don’t have a resume... I concede victory on the resume battle to you. Congratulations.

Last edited by zbomb; 05-11-2021 at 04:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
Houtx996 (05-11-2021), kwright997 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 04:53 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Remember one thing is your money.?

Haha... dude, gotta say - I have no idea what the **** you’re talking about... like not a bit....

You do your thing though, you don’t need a dummy like me to get it... you probably do better with the smart people.

ETA... I don’t have a resume... I concede victory on the resume battle to you. Congratulations.
no problem, your money is your money and you spend it like you see. It’s not what you make it’s what you do with it , it’s a way of life. Do some search and see how many athletes, actors etc have gone broke. I’ll always say you could stick me in a janitors closet, you could give me a Jack off all trait tittle, just show me the money. Cool trick when people know you are retired you get invited to all high end dinners for you and your wife, $250 as high as $500 free. I’ll always go if I can because I may learn a thing or two, then I schedule a meeting with them and ask them bring their public 5 year performance record and off course I take mine. Today at a 5
year
Time horizon I have not met an asset manager that does
better than me. On top of all that bull, you got to pay an annual fee based in assets managed as high as 2 percent sometimes. My grandfather on my mother’s side with an 8th grade education taught me something that I have never forgotten, mistakes in life are paid with money. He had 13 natural kids and adopted
Another 7.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:54 PM
Mpfaff
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Old 05-11-2021, 04:59 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,808 Posts

Dude... if you think I give a flying **** how smart you think you are, how much of whatever you have, or who you hang out with... you’re not as smart as you espouse to be.

You got a lot to talk about.. that’s for sure... I’m not interested in that either.

I am interested in talking about motors though... so if at some point in the future you decide you’d like to have a conversation, an actual coherent conversation about motors... I’d be interested.

Until then...

Tom Loder (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 05:22 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Thanks

Dude... if you think I give a flying **** how smart you think you are, how much of whatever you have, or who you hang out with... you’re not as smart as you espouse to be.

You got a lot to talk about.. that’s for sure... I’m not interested in that either.

I am interested in talking about motors though... so if at some point in the future you decide you’d like to have a conversation, an actual coherent conversation about motors... I’d be interested.

Until then...
I’m clear. Since you are talking motors , remember I’m not racing mine.Honestly would my money would be better if spent on a 3.4
rebutils, or should I sell and get a 997 2006
and latter car. Your thoughts opinions appreciated.

Quick Reply: 2019 Engine Rebuild Comparison RND/FSI/EBS/Vertex