996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 05:09 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,158 Likes on 742 Posts

I believe I read you can find the paint number/code on a plate under the left side of the frunk lining. It is near the bottom on a plate welded to the car.
Old 04-08-2022, 05:10 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,013 Posts

(1) I just had the front end re-sprayed, haven't had time to put it back on;
(2) Officer, don't you agree it looks terrible, what would you do?;
The following users liked this post:
85eurocarrera (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 06:55 PM
Geoff.T
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeroy89
how does one get these in leather? Can you get them in graphite gray?
Recaro offers them in a bunch of different material I don't think they they have grey. You could always get a set and have the center sections upholstered in the right color.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:46 AM
Willys 47
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 61 Posts

I hear you guys, but when you are not first owner and its already on? It's even uglier with the holes and marks left behind if removed. Tried to make the best of it.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:59 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ****** 47
I hear you guys, but when you are not first owner and its already on? It's even uglier with the holes and marks left behind if removed. Tried to make the best of it.
Bumperplugs.com is your answer.
Willys 47 (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 12:45 PM
Nate.Evans
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Got the ducktail installed and back from the painters. Love the look....but here's a little bit of a review...

There's no instructions for the wire harness, which, at first seems a bit disappointing, but once you look at the old decklid and this new one, you can just look at it and see where everything goes as all the plugs are different; except for the brake light on the spoiler. It has a plug on the light, but the other end is just bare wires, so I stripped back some of the wire and plugged it into the remaining plug on the harness and it worked. So I had to cut the factory plug off and crimp/splice to the new harness.

Now for the part that sucks. While the body fit of the lid is excellent, there are some shortcomings. The latch is a bit shallow, so it has to be shimmed so that it will latch while still sitting the correct depth. Also, on the factory lid, there is a plate that hides and secures the harness. This decklid doesn't have the provisions to move it over...nor does it have anything to secure the harness to it. Luckily, the harness is stiff enough that when ziptied to itself it stays out of the way...but who knows what happens when it gets warm....so far so good.

Now onto the really bad. It uses a factory Porsche taillight. It's SUPER delicate and designed bad. So badly that Getty Designs tapes a HUGE note on it to not press on the housing and only depress the black retaining spring clips when installing. So, naturally, I was UBER careful and took care installing. Well, It fits like ****. Massive gap underneath the left side and it doesn't sit remotely flush in the hole and sticks out quite a bunch:

Not a big deal...but not ideal considering how much this was and since I paid for the extra prep work.... Considering how bad it fits, it HAS TO BE a known issue that they would atleast address I would think.... So I leave it on and then decide that I'll devote Sunday to hand filing and fitting the light on. I go to put away tools and hear a "pop". I think, "oh cool, the light probably snapped into place and it fits well... Nope. I look on the ground and see this.

The damn light broke under it's own clip spring tension for not fitting well in under 5 minutes. WTF. Now it fits bad AND is broken:

I emailed Getty Designs who was typicallly pretty responsive (answers within a few minutes) and heard nothing back since Thursday. I call and speak with somebody and they kind of just sidestepped the fact that it fits terrible and that it broke under it's own weight just sitting there...I got sidestepped again when I asked about a replacement light. It's otherwise a very nice piece, but that taillight shouldn't fit THAT bad where it breaks when doing exactly what the instructions say AND just sitting there.... I'm going to hand file it down tomorrow, getting it fitting as good as I can and then I guess just reorder a light. I thought about just deleting it and getting it repainted, but it might look a bit odd cause the taillight kinda breaks it up back there...
Old 04-09-2022, 01:24 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,775 Posts

By 3 or 4 of these and drill some holes. Its how the gt lids r. My getty deck lid fit is meh at best so issues r no suprise. I too had to shim the latch.

Cable Clips - Genuine PorscheG99965126940
Known as: cable holder

$2.37QTY:
Nate.Evans (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 01:50 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,307 Likes on 494 Posts

On this plus side, it looks fking sick from ten feet away!! Awesome.
Old 04-09-2022, 03:43 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 468 Likes on 329 Posts

Cannot stand front plates or people the drill them into the bumper from the factory. On my moms new volvo they put a front plate on, here in PA we don't have them. Obviously I wanted to take it off for her but they put some of the most insane nut things on them I have ever seen. As far as I could tell there was no way to remove them. I eventually got them out not completely destroying the bumper but the holes were so big that it was almost the entire size of the bumper plugs. This meant I had to epoxy them on with what little over hang there was. I should have just made her take it back and get a new bumper.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:02 PM
Gregs04.5
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

My bumper was butchered from previous owners/plates and brackets, oh well. I did find on ebay, a small plate mount, that inspired me to reduce the plate size, by carefully folding.

And, yes, the local cops around here will stop you for anything they can, including no front plate.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:57 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregs04.5
My bumper was butchered from previous owners/plates and brackets, oh well. I did find on ebay, a small plate mount, that inspired me to reduce the plate size, by carefully folding.

And, yes, the local cops around here will stop you for anything they can, including no front plate.
Looks much better than a full sized plate, but from what I understand a folded plate is just as illegal as no plate. When I lived in a front plate state, I just rolled the dice and went with no plate.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:36 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,458 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Optionman1
NJ requires them too, but in 45k miles I've never been stopped. If that's all they ever get me for I'm way ahead of the game.
Originally Posted by barbancourt
When I lived in a front plate state, I just rolled the dice and went with no plate.
I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars going back at least 25 years. In all that time I received a grand total of one ticket and that was back in 2008.
Sometimes you have to roll on the edge. Speaking of rolling on the edge, I'm not taking the radar detector to Monterey Car Week this year because of now rolling on the edge and all.

Old 04-10-2022, 12:18 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 241 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars going back at least 25 years. In all that time I received a grand total of one ticket and that was back in 2008.
Sometimes you have to roll on the edge. Speaking of rolling on the edge, I'm not taking the radar detector to Monterey Car Week this year because of now rolling on the edge and all.

You are one crazy loco. Post some photos if you don't mind.
Old 04-10-2022, 01:27 AM
BossAngeles
Advanced

Received 68 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
Need short shift recommendation for 996 AE car?
I like the OEM 997 Shift console upgrade kit. Not a huge change, but just enough to feel. Read some reviews.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997SCU.html?Category_Code=

Last edited by BossAngeles; 04-10-2022 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-10-2022, 01:49 AM
BossAngeles
Advanced

Received 68 Likes on 28 Posts

Fixed the sticking ignition lock that was taking up to 10 seconds after removing the Kay to make the “ca-chunk” sound. Used CRC QD contact cleaner then Graphite spray on the Key

and now it works great! Was mulling replacing the lock mechanism, glad we dodged that $300 bullet!

After breaking my foot and wearing a massive boot for weeks I finally got to dust it off and drive it down PCH with the Men from UNCLE! That’s what I did to my 996 today!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?