Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 11:46 AM
junior23
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mootang
Curious, are you using stock springs, ROW springs or lowering springs? I am on ROW springs with Koni Special Actives and Eibach anti roll bars and thinking of going with lowering springs on the Koni but not sure if it will have enough travel with them.
I spoke to a rep at Koni about pairing their special active dampers with H&R Sports (or other lowering springs) and they advised against it. I'm running Bilstein B8s instead.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:10 PM
JBari
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

One done one to go!

Old 07-09-2021, 06:51 PM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

What is the currently preferred method of taking the yellow out of the lenses, and keeping them that way?I can see a little in mine, but since it’s kept inside it’s not bad. I took the wife and one of the kids to an Asian restaurant for my birthday last night that I’ve past by in the lakes region for forty years or so for a little culinary diversion last night in the rain.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:05 PM
JBari
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nrp3
What is the currently preferred method of taking the yellow out of the lenses, and keeping them that way?I can see a little in mine, but since it’s kept inside it’s not bad. I took the wife and one of the kids to an Asian restaurant for my birthday last night that I’ve past by in the lakes region for forty years or so for a little culinary diversion last night in the rain.
I did the wet sand and buff. Im trying a ceramic coating to see it it will last
Old 07-09-2021, 08:00 PM
Airbrush1
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Had an impromptu ignition switch change at work today after the old one decided to give up suddenly… had a quick thought that it might also solve an intermittent rough starting issue (it did not)
Old 07-11-2021, 02:32 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Cars and coffee

Went out to cars and coffee.Two triple digit trips. I’m almost certain the car has a tune went past 7300 rpm. Anyway look at the Twin Turbo promotive built 3.9. 800 hp at the wheels without methanol. Probably 215 mph car. Owner is an awesome guy he races autocross, his next race is in an NSX. Nice 2003 blue convertible, unfortunately according to the owner probably bore scoring. Thanks Jesus I almost went for that car because it was at Porsche West Houston. The guards red with tan is a 09/79 built sc 40000 miles , the paint is original, incredible that a car that was built 42 years ago looks like that. I love ❤️ going to hang out with the guys.

Turbo charge boxier s 425 hp.

Look at all the work craftsmanship. This built is what Porsche didn’t do. 996 3.9 to.

Car is sick, if I feel I’m going fast in my car this car is out of this world. A lot of time and money building this. This is a right in your face car, it sounds amazing.

A 42 year old SC with 40,00 the paint looks flawless, Factory.

My car with the red wheels. Funny 3 duck tails next to each other.

Nice convertible.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:26 PM
Paul Janda
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, "today" is a stretch as some unexpected problems and work (job) created significant delays, but the car is finally together after:

Clutch
RMS
Input, output, and shift shaft seals on transmission (and fresh fluid, of course)
Front diff output seals (and fluid)
Radiator hoses (and coolant flush)
.5 qt deep sump kit and X51 baffle (and oil, of course)
Scavenge pump O ring
Ctek battery charger connector
New exhaust clamp bolts (old ones were too short)
Brake fluid flush

Maybe I can get it to the track this summer! (work permitting ....)

Paul
Old 07-11-2021, 09:21 PM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 424 Posts

Crunchin' Porsche racing data by the pool. Life is NOT horrible.

The following 4 users liked this post by golock911:
P1Designs (07-13-2021), plpete84 (07-12-2021), Porschetech3 (07-11-2021), zbomb (07-11-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 10:02 AM
PrashantS
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Washed Her With The Foam Cannon

Has a ceramic pro lifetime coating so this is the only way I wash her now…

Sun Joe Foam Cannon treatment

She’s getting there…

Rinsed her with the Sun Joe pressure washer and gently dried with microfiber towels

Used Chemical Guys tire shine and FW1 to protect the wheels for now until I get them refinished and ceramic coated
Old 07-12-2021, 10:28 AM
FLT SIXX
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 36 Posts

You're not supposed to use regular soap, and especially not soap with wax additives on the top. Look for a spray on top cleaner from Meguiars or someone.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:47 AM
PrashantS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FLT SIXX
You're not supposed to use regular soap, and especially not soap with wax additives on the top. Look for a spray on top cleaner from Meguiars or someone.
you are correct - I told my installer I had this large bottle of Meguiars that had the wax additive, and he said that it would make no difference really since the wax won’t stick to the ceramic layer anyway and the soap will still do it’s job. But agree - it’s not the ideal soap.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:54 AM
FLT SIXX
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PrashantS
you are correct - I told my installer I had this large bottle of Meguiars that had the wax additive, and he said that it would make no difference really since the wax won’t stick to the ceramic layer anyway and the soap will still do it’s job. But agree - it’s not the ideal soap.
I actually meant on the soft top. There are specific products out there for cleaning soft convertible tops. Incorrect cleaners (allegedly) can ruin the waterproof qualities of the top and wax included soaps can discolor it. I figure for a few bucks it's worth having a soft-top specific cleaner and keeping the rest of the car wash soap off of there as much as practical.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:58 AM
PrashantS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FLT SIXX
I actually meant on the soft top. There are specific products out there for cleaning soft convertible tops. Incorrect cleaners (allegedly) can ruin the waterproof qualities of the top and wax included soaps can discolor it. I figure for a few bucks it's worth having a soft-top specific cleaner and keeping the rest of the car wash soap off of there as much as practical.

Hmmm, that’s good to know. I have some RAGG Top fabric top protectant that I have been too lazy to break out thus far. Guess I should start using it!
Old 07-12-2021, 01:26 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by PrashantS
Hmmm, that’s good to know. I have some RAGG Top fabric top protectant that I have been too lazy to break out thus far. Guess I should start using it!
When I sent my car away for a few months, I kept the manual so I'd have something to look at...
For cleaning the top, it says:
Do not wash the convertible top each time the car is washed. It's usually sufficient to spray or wash with clean water.
Brush dust of in the direction of the weave with a soft brush (direction of the weave? You can see that?)
Only if there is heavy dirt, wet the convertible top with lukewarm water and the Porsche Wash-Shampoo & convertible-top cleaner (I use 303), using a sponge or soft brush, and rub gently. Rinse cleaner thoroughly off the top with clean water.
Treat once a year (again, I use 303 Fabric Guard)

REMOVE BIRD DROPPINGS IMMEDIATELY. For this one, I don't generally notice them until they dry, but I guess if you were watching more closely you could get it while it's wet....
The following users liked this post:
PrashantS (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 01:27 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 593 Likes on 331 Posts

Inspired by the ceramic coating thread, decided to get back to detailing. Hit with a clay bar a few weeks back then it sat under the cover, pulled out the orbital and got to work. Doing days at a time because the humidity here hasn't been much fun past week, still about 60% to go.

The following 3 users liked this post by Billup:
hoofdpijn (07-13-2021), kingroon (07-12-2021), PrashantS (07-12-2021)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?