What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 08:28 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by sdematt
Please tell me where that sticker came from
I had them made. I was going to offer them for sale but I thought I should test them out first to see how they hold up to engine compartment heat.

I've had one in the Cayenne for a few weeks and so far, it seems to be holding up.

The following users liked this post:
MadIrish (07-13-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 01:13 AM
scott shand
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 33 Posts

After getting them in and out on the road for a couple of weeks I can say that they are worth it to me. Keep in mind that the shocks/struts I took out were 21+ year old originals so nearly anything was bound to be better. The Konis are doing just what they're sold as doing, they provide a very smooth, even ride when just taking it easy on the smooth stuff but really do tighten up when I either push the car around or when an unexpected road surface is encountered. I like them a lot so far and am glad I went with them. I am not tracking this car but I do enjoy some spirited driving and these Koni Special Actives meet my needs. After 21+ years I can tell now with the new shocks/struts installed that new drop links are in order. Most of the steering gear looked alright and could have possibly been changed out once by someone else, I don't know. Also an alignment was done and I also do not know the last time one was performed (I've had the car a little over a year now) but I would recommend getting one done after installing the new suspension even if no steering gear is touched. My car definitely sat with a much higher, stiffer squat after I installed them.
Mootang (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 01:41 AM
Mootang
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scott shand
After getting them in and out on the road for a couple of weeks I can say that they are worth it to me. Keep in mind that the shocks/struts I took out were 21+ year old originals so nearly anything was bound to be better. The Konis are doing just what they're sold as doing, they provide a very smooth, even ride when just taking it easy on the smooth stuff but really do tighten up when I either push the car around or when an unexpected road surface is encountered. I like them a lot so far and am glad I went with them. I am not tracking this car but I do enjoy some spirited driving and these Koni Special Actives meet my needs. After 21+ years I can tell now with the new shocks/struts installed that new drop links are in order. Most of the steering gear looked alright and could have possibly been changed out once by someone else, I don't know. Also an alignment was done and I also do not know the last time one was performed (I've had the car a little over a year now) but I would recommend getting one done after installing the new suspension even if no steering gear is touched. My car definitely sat with a much higher, stiffer squat after I installed them.
Curious, are you using stock springs, ROW springs or lowering springs? I am on ROW springs with Koni Special Actives and Eibach anti roll bars and thinking of going with lowering springs on the Koni but not sure if it will have enough travel with them.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:00 AM
scott shand
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mootang
Curious, are you using stock springs, ROW springs or lowering springs? I am on ROW springs with Koni Special Actives and Eibach anti roll bars and thinking of going with lowering springs on the Koni but not sure if it will have enough travel with them.
I am using the stock springs and roll bars, I won't be lowering the car any, here in Washington State there's plenty of bumpy stuff and gravel too.
Elumere (07-09-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 01:37 PM
pauldvazquez
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by scott shand
I am using the stock springs and roll bars, I won't be lowering the car any, here in Washington State there's plenty of bumpy stuff and gravel too.
Can you provide a link to the supplier of your new Konis? I would be interested in going the same route you did.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:57 PM
scott shand
Advanced

Doug - I went with ECS Tuning for the shocks/struts and through both Pelican Parts and FCP Euro for the mounting hardware (i.e. front strut mounts, bearing plates, bumpers, bellows, etc.) I did not change out the rear mounts, they looked fine to me. Some of the stuff has started to have longer lead-times for shipping. It's likely you wouldn't get some of the stuff until August or September. I don't drive out to Shelton often but have been through there plenty of times. I mostly stay here on the Kitsap Peninsula or head over the Hood Canal Bridge to Port Ludlow, Port Hadlock, Port Townsend, etc. I did take a nice drive this morning out to Belfair via the Old Belfair Hwy, fun road and it was early so I pushed it around a bit.
Old 07-04-2021, 12:07 PM
pauldvazquez
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I am not in a huge hurry…I have so much to learn about all the different bit and pieces of the suspension systems on these cars. The 911 is far cry from what I am used to dealing with.

Concerning the drive to Mason County, there is a nice loop in the Dewatto area north of Belfair State Park and east of the north-south leg of Hood Canal. Some great twists and elevation changes out there.

Thanks again,
Old 07-04-2021, 07:28 PM
scott shand
Advanced

Originally Posted by pauldvazquez
Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I am not in a huge hurry…I have so much to learn about all the different bit and pieces of the suspension systems on these cars. The 911 is far cry from what I am used to dealing with.

Concerning the drive to Mason County, there is a nice loop in the Dewatto area north of Belfair State Park and east of the north-south leg of Hood Canal. Some great twists and elevation changes out there.

Thanks again,
I took the drive through Dewatto to Seabeck a couple months ago before all the bicyclists were out, it was great! I did it early on a Saturday morning and was able to really stretch the Carrera's legs out for a while. It was a hoot! I kept the revs up most of the time between 2nd and 3rd with a couple of straight-aways getting into 4th. I had the top down too and the engine sounded great. Getting the shocks/struts in and out can be a bit of a bear now and then, just take your time and give yourself a few days to do it at your own pace so as not to feel like you're rushed with it. If your shocks and struts are originals like mine were you'll feel a huge difference in the drive. I wish I would have bought fresh drop-links before I got started, it would have been worth having them there to replace with fresh ones. Also don't forget to get an alignment afterwards. I used the Les Schwab in Poulsbo, they take about an hour or so and it cost me $120, well worth it and in my case I had no idea when it had been done last since I only have had this car a little over a year. Good luck and enjoy, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a red 911 out in Mason County! Regards, Scott Shand
Old 07-05-2021, 03:07 PM
awahl63
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rino924
Looks great! Are those 17's? I secretly want a spare set of 17's just to have.
Thank you. They are 17s and don’t look too small. I can’t see myself going larger any time soon.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:45 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

Went to the beach to get my walking in. It started as a beautiful day. As I was almost back at my car after a five mile walk, it started to get dark and stormy looking. By the time I got in my car and started home, the skies were angry that day my friend. Like an old man sending back soup at a deli. A half mile later the skies opened up and a deluge came down. When I got home, I found what you see in the last photo. My son had been standing there 30 seconds earlier.

Ratchet1025 (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 12:53 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Installed the Momo Prototipo wheel on NRG quick release hub. Despite a shocking lack of instructions from the manufacturer, it came together and the horn & airbag electronics seemed to function as desired-- thought I nailed it. Torqued to spec, done!

Unfortunately, the turn signal failed to cancel and there was a hateful clicking sound when the the wheel was turned more than 15 degrees from center. More unfortunately, my hubris allowed me to torque the 24mm nut down, which was easy to break free, but the hub adapter refused to let go. Long story short, I now own a gear pulling kit. This time I paid attention to the instructions written on the clockspring (you keep your clockspring with the NRG hub), realigned & reassembled and it's great!

Next step is the shifter **** & boot. FunctionFirst is backlogged six weeks on their billet ***** so I ordered from Black Forest Industries. Shift boot & matching console cover arrived a week late from Amazon, not sure if it's the "real leather" as described so, looking for better options.

Momo Prototipo

NG QR hub & Porsche adapter
The following 2 users liked this post by TheUnscented:
paddlefoot64 (07-07-2021), Ratchet1025 (07-07-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 05:36 PM
junior23
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

very nice!

Last edited by junior23; 07-08-2021 at 05:37 PM. Reason: wrong reply
Old 07-08-2021, 06:12 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 143 Posts

Damn wyovino, that second picture looks like a tornado is forming! Glad your son moved...
wyovino (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 09:20 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Damn wyovino, that second picture looks like a tornado is forming! Glad your son moved...
Thanks. That's what i was thinking when I saw it.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:11 AM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 468 Likes on 329 Posts

First, wash in a year and drive in a few weeks. I picked up an 04 MINI Cooper S recently to toy around with so that has been keeping me occupied. Getting in and driving the 911 after spending time in the MINI was a pleasant change of pace.
wyovino (07-09-2021)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?