996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 01:18 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

^Not a fan but if you like it, that's all that counts!
Old 06-23-2020, 01:24 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

I want to lower my car an inch. Is it really necessary to have all the adjustable links/toe arms. I have the Feal coil overs but the rest of the control arms are stock.

Originally Posted by Ratchet1025
Happy Father’s Day! Just wanted to share a few recent pictures....
Just got the 996.2 Cab back from a full rear suspension refresh (mono ball upper arms, EPS thrust arms, H&R springs, Bilstein shocks, Urethane bushings, Rr toe arms). Very happy with the handling and ride height (a little lower would have been ok). Hope everyone is staying healthy!

Old 06-23-2020, 01:31 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Looks good! What tire size are you rolling on?

Originally Posted by zbomb
Fresh SRF Fluid as pat of prep for track mid next month. Doing little work each weekend.

Then a nice drive - with the exception of my dome light panel breaking and driving me nutso. Took a look when I got home and that little SOB had been super glued back into place at least once.

Time for a wash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKsVldcsB1A

Old 06-23-2020, 02:08 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by cccampbe
I'm playing around with side stripe ideas. The plan here was to make the stripe a subtle variation of the paint color. I bought the vinyl without seeing it in person. The first time I really saw the color was after it was already on the car. It didn't come out how I pictured it but I'm not mad at it. The wheels are temporary. Most of the time it will have dark grey glossy wheels with polished lips. Let me know what you think. All opinions welcome.

The car looks good either way. Typically when an accent color is added, such as your side stripe, you would add that same accent color to some other areas of the car to bring to all together. Things like leather stitching, or seatbelt color, brake caliper color - anything that is subtle but consistent.

Also, the wheels are pretty sweet. I’m talking about the design and not necessarily the color match. Gold or Bronze or whatever that color is has started to make a come back. It was more common in all-white or all-black cars from the 80’s. I have a triple black 996 with Silver turbo twist wheels and have considered going darker like gold or black.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:27 PM
cccampbe
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
The car looks good either way. Typically when an accent color is added, such as your side stripe, you would add that same accent color to some other areas of the car to bring to all together. Things like leather stitching, or seatbelt color, brake caliper color - anything that is subtle but consistent.

Also, the wheels are pretty sweet. I’m talking about the design and not necessarily the color match. Gold or Bronze or whatever that color is has started to make a come back. It was more common in all-white or all-black cars from the 80’s. I have a triple black 996 with Silver turbo twist wheels and have considered going darker like gold or black.
The more I look at it, the less ok I am with how blue the stripes turned out. I am wondering now if a matte clear vinyl would achieve the look I am after. I want the stripe there but I really don't want it to stand out very much.

The wheels are plastidipped "vintage gold". They are track wheels but I am running them until my street wheels are finished being refurbished. I am really pleased with how the plastidip turned out though
Old 06-23-2020, 02:35 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 344 Posts

I think a shade of grey either slightly darker or slightly lighter than your car color would give it a more subtle touch. But I think what you have looks nice.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:04 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cccampbe
The more I look at it, the less ok I am with how blue the stripes turned out. I am wondering now if a matte clear vinyl would achieve the look I am after. I want the stripe there but I really don't want it to stand out very much.

The wheels are plastidipped "vintage gold". They are track wheels but I am running them until my street wheels are finished being refurbished. I am really pleased with how the plastidip turned out though
I'd try an match it to the wheels if anything.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:05 PM
cccampbe
Advanced

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I don't necessarily want it to "match" though. I feel like that's a bit too common maybe. I am taking some inspiration from Singer. Maybe I just need to try a different silver/grey

Old 06-23-2020, 05:51 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,295 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Looks good! What tire size are you rolling on?
Thank You !

285/35 and 225/40 PS4S

Pic makes it look like I may need a little more front spacer.

Front spacer is 12MM and rear is 15MM. The rear is perfect for me, I think the front with a 15MM or a 235 tire would be the ticket.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:16 AM
El Roso
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree and went with a silver stripe for that reason.
The following 3 users liked this post by El Roso:
808Bill (06-24-2020), paddlefoot64 (06-25-2020), TexSquirrel (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 12:20 AM
El Roso
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Added Ben's short shifter kit and am happy with the results. Wasn't too hard to install after I found all the trim fasteners.

I also tried the muffler delete but lasted about 45 mins before I took it off. I like it loud but it's not a pleasant loud to my ears.

Finally, added a few stickers because why not

The following users liked this post:
TopPorscheFan (06-30-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 12:40 AM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchet1025
Hello and sure, I will do my best. My reference point is my own ‘99 C2 Coupe which had really poor handling and ride comfort dynamics when I first bought it. Now with all the track modifications , the handling is spot on, but the ride comfort is not great for daily use (ok for me though ).

For my 2002 C2 Cab
*Before Information: 90000 miles when I bought it, completely original suspension, just had new tires put on.
*Overall handling good, not sloppy at low to medium speeds. At lower speeds, the best I can explain is it had a slower or delay feeling in the steering (slightly). At higher speeds, a little uncomfortable when changing lanes (my ‘99 had the same issue). Very non-linear steering at higher speeds is the best way I can describe it.
*Ride comfort was ok, nothing special to remember. The 2nd order ride was not good (the movement after hitting a bump), the car did not recover very well.

*After Information: Front Modifications (B6 shocks, H&R springs, Monoball Thrust Arm, Powerflex LCA bushing). Rr modifications already posted.
*Handling much improved, very linear at every speed. Can really feel the rear end of the car keeping up with the intended line. High speeds are the biggest improvement (freeway lane changes are controlled and feel like they should be, no drama). The toe control links are a must if you make any rear suspension changes.
*Ride Comfort is better in every way. Absolutely no unusual movement or harsh tone to any reasonable bump. The B6 shocks are a sweet spot for me. I also had the B8s on my ‘99 and loved them as well.

Note: Based on my suspension for my ‘99, the biggest difference in supreme handling and worse ride comfort is the Monoball Upper Mounts. ONLY add this for track cars or if you like harsh ride.

Hope that helps, just my experience and my preferred taste for R&H.
Thanks for the detailed response!

I have FEAL coilovers, GT3 rear LCAs, and Tarrett adjustable rear toe arms. Handles really well with the Michelin PS4s. I’m looking at what to do next. Debating between replacing tired suspension arms with new stock arms with rubber bushings or upgraded ones with polyurethane or heim joints.

In theory, just new stock style arms and bushings should be an improvement. I’d like to go the upgrade route, but I definitely don’t want to make it crash around on road bumps.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:04 AM
Otto Bonn
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by El Roso

Are you guys getting the vinyl and then cutting the font yourselves or farming it out?

Old 06-24-2020, 10:41 AM
cccampbe
Advanced

Originally Posted by c didy
Are you guys getting the vinyl and then cutting the font yourselves or farming it out?
My father is cutting mine out for me. Sign work is his business.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:52 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,321 Posts

Originally Posted by barbancourt
Thanks for the detailed response!

I have FEAL coilovers, GT3 rear LCAs, and Tarrett adjustable rear toe arms. Handles really well with the Michelin PS4s. I’m looking at what to do next. Debating between replacing tired suspension arms with new stock arms with rubber bushings or upgraded ones with polyurethane or heim joints.

In theory, just new stock style arms and bushings should be an improvement. I’d like to go the upgrade route, but I definitely don’t want to make it crash around on road bumps.
I went with just stock control arms, except for the control arm links which I went with polyurethane.
Since mine is a daily driver, I'm glad I went with mostly stock bushings.
I think I get a little more NHV with the poly control arm links, but its not too bad.
It is definitely a balancing act DD - Track want-to-be.

I also went with stock engine mounts.
I definitely get more noise inside now due to the rollbar.
It transfers chassis noise inside.
I can live with that, but if you want a nice quiet ride, go with all rubber bushings/mounts and no rollbar.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?