Old 06-15-2020, 02:56 PM
Brian_C
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by cccampbe
Finally got the stance right
Love it! Well done.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brian_C:
cwbrown (06-15-2020), paddlefoot64 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 09:06 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Just ordered the "correct" parts for the complete brake job that I had planned to do by the end of the month, which looks like it will be delayed until early July because the parts that I ordered from a couple of eBay had to be returned because they were the wrong parts.

Actually kept 2 of the wrong parts (the front brake rotors) that I received because they fit the car and were parts that I was considering buying anyway and it was too much trouble to return them too. Have to pay for the return of the "wrong" brake pad because they did not offer "free returns." That'll teach me! Never ordering anything w/o "free returns" on eBay again.

WHAT A CLUSTER F*CK!

Ordered all of the parts I still needed from AMZN coming from a variety of vendors including AMZN. Hoping I'll have better luck w/these orders. The parts that I already have and still have yet to receive are:

2 - Brembo 09.C880.11 PVT Front Brake Rotors
2 - Brembo 09.6665.11 PVT Rear Brake Rotors
1 set - Akebono EUR 776 Ceramic Front Brake Pads
1 set - Akebono EUR 738 Ceramic Rear Brake Pads
4 - OEM replacement brake pad sensors
4 - StopTech stainless steel brake lines

Brakes should be in GREAT shape as soon as I get all of the right parts in hand and have them installed by my Indy. Time will tell . . .
Old 06-15-2020, 10:01 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
If you plan on leaving the mount in place, just put some black RTV silicon on the suction cup before install.
Skip, I won't rule it out but it would be as a last resort. I think my use of in-car video has peaked and I can't see going with a permanent mount scenario.

I guess I'm spoiled by this camera mount a friend of mine made for me. It's designed to fit the headrest rods of earlier BMWs specifically.

And obviously because of the design, you don't have to worry about heat or bumps making it fall off.

Originally Posted by zbomb
Mount is a GoPro bar mount on the roll bar. Very solid. I messed around with some suction cup mounts previously and found this option preferable.
I don't have a roll bar but I did MacGyver a sailboat mount so maybe I'll take a look to see if I can do something with the 996.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:08 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
I don't have a roll bar but I did MacGyver a sailboat mount so maybe I'll take a look to see if I can do something with the 996.
Looks like it worked awesome

Old 06-15-2020, 10:21 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by sgt1372
Actually kept 2 of the wrong parts (the front brake rotors) that I received because they fit the car and were parts that I was considering buying anyway and it was too much trouble to return them too. Have to pay for the return of the "wrong" brake pad because they did not offer "free returns." That'll teach me! Never ordering anything w/o "free returns" on eBay again..
Unless PayPal/Ebay policy has changed, the seller can't charge you shipping to return parts that didn't match the Ebay listing. I ran into the same situation about six years ago and ended up filing a dispute and got a decision in my favor in less than 24 hours.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:51 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts

Brake parts, You should have order everything from RMEuropean or other Rennlist vendor,, Good prices, Possible discount, All from one shop, 3-4 day delivery. no shipping charges, not much hassle. Amazon vendors can be crap shoot
Old 06-16-2020, 01:35 AM
sgt1372
Pro

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
Unless PayPal/Ebay policy has changed, the seller can't charge you shipping to return parts that didn't match the Ebay listing. I ran into the same situation about six years ago and ended up filing a dispute and got a decision in my favor in less than 24 hours.
That's what I thought too but I was presented only w/the option to use the shipping label that they provided that I have to pay for OR use another method of shipping that I prefer. I didn't see anyway to "dispute" the return shipping charge in the information provided but I may try to call eBay customer service to speak with a "real person" about it tomorrow.

The USPS label they want me to pay for will cost $44.38! The cost of shipping via UPS will be $16 less. If I can't reach someone in eBay who can resolve this issue for me, I'll just send it back via UPS and am going to be much careful about ordering anything in the future unless "free return shipping" is specified in the listing. Lesson learned.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:43 AM
sgt1372
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike Mullins
Brake parts, You should have order everything from RMEuropean or other Rennlist vendor,, Good prices, Possible discount, All from one shop, 3-4 day delivery. no shipping charges, not much hassle. Amazon vendors can be crap shoot
The parts I wanted/needed (listed above) are/were very specific and in my search of the Net I did not find them all in one place except on AMZN. Call me lazy but the prices were reasonable and returns thru AMZN have always been easy/free to me.

So, that was good enough for me. Also, except for this situation, I've had very good experience w/eBay because I'm pretty careful about making sure I've double checked the listing for fitment but still didn't get the right parts from these lousy vendors in this case. Obviously, I'm not going to buy anything from them again.

Also just out of curiosity, I searched RMEuropean for the rotors and pads I needed and they did not stock them. Nor did many other larger parts vendors, like Pelican Parts, Auto Anything or Summit when I looked earlier.

Anyway, there orders have already been placed. So, AMZN is it for now. We'll see if they come through for me or not.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:22 AM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 381 Posts

Are your rotors and pads special ? Just curious
Old 06-16-2020, 09:55 AM
paddlefoot64
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by GarrettSR5
I wonder about that also. Which model, year are the brake parts for?
Old 06-16-2020, 12:30 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Originally Posted by GarrettSR5
Not "special" - just not widely available, at least not for my car -- 2000 C4 Cab.

I looked around online for vendors that sold them and didn't find the parts that I needed in 1 place except on eBay and AMZN. Don't like ordering a lot of things separately from different vendors if that's unnecessary. I have lot of experience buying things online for my cars and this is the 1st time I've experience such a major f*ck up w/any orders on eBay or elsewhere.

What I originally ordered (or thought that I was ordering) on eBay were these rotors/pads:

1 - Brembo 09.C094.11 Front Left Directional Brake Rotor
1- Brembo 09.C095.11 Front Right Directional Brake Rotor
2 - Brembo 09.6665.11 PVT Asymmetric Rear Brake Rotors
1 set - Akebono EUR 776 Ceramic Front Brake Pads
1 set - Akebono EUR 738 Ceramic Rear Brake Pads

What I got out of all of the items that I ordered above were only the EUR738 brake pads.

Instead of the directional front rotors that I ordered, I got a pair of Brembo 09.C880.11 PVT Asymmetric front rotors, which I decided to keep because they fit my car and because it was just too much of a hassle to return them and then reorder the other ones.. So, I only returned the wrong rear rotors that I got which were for a Fiat 500!

As far as the pads are concerned, I bought a package that was supposed to include a complete set of front/rear Akebono ceramic brake pads plus aftermarket sensors but the front pads I received were EUR917s that only fit a 2000 Boxster.

The brake pad vendor failed to respond to any emails about this problem and my request for an exchange. So, I had to return the entire brake pad pkg too but was being asked to pay for the cost of return shipping.

Just spoke w/a real person at eBay and apparently the reason I was being asked to pay for return shipping was because I checked the wrong box for the "reason for return." I checked "did not fit" instead of "defective or did not match the item description" but I did not see those options when placing my return request.

Long story short, the eBay rep agreed to reclassify the return as a "wrong item" and will be sending me a FREE return shipping label and I have already ordered all of the other parts that I need/want thru AMZN.

So, it should all turn out fine in the end. It's just taking longer due to the f*ck up w/the eBay orders.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:35 PM
paddlefoot64
Pro

I applaud even getting touch with EBay. Good deal to be able to return.ive had pretty good luck with AutohausAZ and FCPEuro.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:37 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,288 Posts

I've found that RockAuto is my best source for rotors (I actually prefer Pagid) and Akebono pads.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...hub,rotor,1896
I tried Brembo pads F&R and was not impressed. (I threw them out after less that 6 months)
Hopefully their rotors are better.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:41 PM
paddlefoot64
Pro

I’m currently running Brembo pads on the front and am not impressed with the bite. Dust production is impressive though!

Last edited by paddlefoot64; 06-16-2020 at 01:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by paddlefoot64:
barbancourt (06-16-2020), TexSquirrel (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 01:22 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by paddlefoot64
I’m currently running Bremen pads on the front and am not impressed with the bite. Dust production is impressive though!
Same with my Textars. Bite is meh, but boy do they excel at turning wheels black.
The following 2 users liked this post by barbancourt:
cucumber (06-26-2020), TexSquirrel (06-16-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?