Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Installing The Continental TR7412UB-OR Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 03:18 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

I always mount the external microphone in the roof, this gives the lowest possible traffic noise. Cable can be hidden in the windscreen gasket, going down along the right A-pillar. Pictures shows both the mic and the DAB-antenna for the Continental 7418.
Cheers,
Tore

Old 04-23-2017, 08:55 AM
red67vert
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Tore, very helpful, never even thought of going the passenger side route. Now if I can figure a way to get the ash tray wire.....
Old 04-23-2017, 01:42 PM
911m5
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the ff link helpful in locating the ash tray wire
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...placement.html
I also used a splice wire connector to connect the orange wire (from Tore's Harness) to the ash tray wire.
http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...7a_primary.jpg
Old 05-04-2017, 12:00 PM
red67vert
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Installed My 7416 yesterday. Things went well, thanks to the authors of this thread, in particular,
ToreB, centerpunch, nine9six, and 911m5. Thank you!
My variation of the theme....I also used the frame from previous Blaupunkt radio, fit flush, perfect fit, holds the Conti snug. Harness from Tore, plug n play! Removed ash tray(wow, it is lighted), tap gray wire. I used the AUX cables for a 3.5mm jack, for ipod, etc. Since no holes were to be drilled, I found a set up with a 3/8 jack that fits perfectly in the vent holes, below the dash(pic).
My only disappointment, is that the radio face, by design, does not sit flush with the dash fascia. Why Continental felt that an 1/8" reveal, is more aesthetically pleasing than being flush, like all the other radios I've seen is beyond me. At first I thought I was doing something wrong, but when I went back and looked at your thread pics, that is correct.
While I was waiting for the radio, I replaced rear speakers with a set of Polks, but left the door speakers, for now. Great sound, and full function! Love it!
Attached Images    
Old 05-17-2017, 10:46 AM
Shadix
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, what is the SWRC auxiliary cable ? Thanks
Old 05-17-2017, 10:48 AM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

I think that's steering wheel remote control, but I wasn't able to find any documentation on how to use that interface.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:50 AM
Shadix
Track Day

Alright thanks, my steering wheel is this one :

So... lol !
Old 05-17-2017, 10:51 AM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

My hope was to add a little remote switch on the console where I could press the buttons without reaching up to the dash.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Shadix
Track Day

It was a good idea...
Have you installed the micro on the back or you used the one on the dash ?
Old 05-17-2017, 10:54 AM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

I don't use it with my phone, just for playing ipod with a bunch of songs.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Shadix
Track Day

Haha ok !
I have to make a clean wire installation now...
Old 05-17-2017, 02:20 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

SWRC=Steering Wheel Remote Control.
The Conti head units are using a resistive control input, and it is not compatible with any cars I know.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 06-20-2017, 09:41 PM
4tdx
2nd Gear

Hello,

New to the forums as I don't actually own a Porsche, but I just installed a Continental head unit (TR7412UB-OR) in my E30 BMW and this appears to be a much more active conversation going on pertaining specifically to Continental head units.

Anyway, I got everything up any running but I am having difficulty with some of the controls and getting it set up the way I'd like.

(1) System Clock: I can only get the clock to show when not in radio mode (example: in AUX mode I can press the DISP button and get the clock to show for a couple of seconds). Is there a way to get this to show in radio mode and/or have it default to always display the system clock?

(2) Digital Radio Display: When in radio mode the display is constantly scrolling through the channel name and the song title. Is there a way to stop is and/or just display the channel or just display the clock? My previous head units have always had the ability to change this and it drives me crazy, especially at night, to have the head unit display flickering through display messages.

It seems that Continental recently changed their site and I can no longer find their page on radios or the owner's manuals, but here is the VDO version which is nearly identical:

http://www.vdo.com/media/182776/vdo_...b-bu_en-de.pdf
Old 06-22-2017, 04:56 PM
jansan946
Advanced

4tdx,

The Continental TR7412UB-OR radio was designed and intended for sale outside the USA. The VDO version is essentially the same unit except for blue screen illumination. It also lacks the ability to select North American AM and FM radio frequencies. I have attached a copy of the owner's manual as a pdf.

I was just in the garage pushing buttons and may have answers to your specific questions:

1) System Clock: Other head units default to a digital clock as the screen display; however, this Continental unit apparently does not. My 993 Porsche has a 3 inch diameter analog quartz clock in the instrument cluster so I have not missed and do not want that feature. In my hands, I assume that the software only allows a time hack rather than a permanent display. The Radio Data System (RDS) apparently automatically sets the correct time in those markets where RDS is available.

2) Digital Radio Display: When the frequency selection is "AMERICAN," the default screen display is the radio station's call letters and broadcast frequency. If your radio is scrolling the song title of the broadcast, I assume that the RDS is the reason why. See the left-hand column of the attachment's page 4, under "SYSTEM SETTING." Follow the directions to turn the "SCROLL" function "OFF" by rotating the volume control as described and see if that solves the problem.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TR7412UB_OR_en.pdf (1.32 MB, 361 views)
Old 06-22-2017, 10:11 PM
4tdx
2nd Gear

Thanks Jansan,

That did the trick. I guess I just needed it explained a different way before I got it.

The E30 does come with an additional analog or a digital clock, but for whatever reason I like the radio to show the time and have the OBC show the temperature or some other bit of worthless information.

For those who may be interested I found another NA supplier out of Michigan: http://www.egauges.com/Continental-Radios-s/30594.htm

Quick Reply: Installing The Continental TR7412UB-OR Radio