993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing The Continental TR7412UB-OR Radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019 | 03:41 PM
bennettlo
AutoX

@norbtx That looks like a great retro option and may have better sound than the Continental, which IMHO is just OK on the sound quality side. That said, I wonder if the Blaupunkt has an amber color option to match the rest of the dash. Half the reason I ripped out my Continental's predecessor was the mismatch colors. This red does look better than the bright blue I was stuck with before though.
Old 12-23-2019 | 04:05 PM
red67vert
Pro

Who's trim rings are those?
Old 12-28-2019 | 10:11 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bennettlo
@norbtx That looks like a great retro option and may have better sound than the Continental, which IMHO is just OK on the sound quality side. That said, I wonder if the Blaupunkt has an amber color option to match the rest of the dash. Half the reason I ripped out my Continental's predecessor was the mismatch colors. This red does look better than the bright blue I was stuck with before though.

Yes, you can adjust the color on the Blaupunkt, it is not just red. You can choose between 196 different color shades. You pick red, blue, orange, purple, green, etc. and then once the color is picked you can select the shade of intensity.

That said, I'm torn between the Blaupunkt and the Porsche Classic radio.

Aside from the screen looking out of place for a 90's car, the Porsche looks nicer in that the ***** look like an exact match to the 993 ***** on the climate control. The Blaupunkt screams aftermarket but at least in vintage form. The pluses to the Blaupunkt are 50W/ch (vs 25W/ch for the Pioneer) and more than likely better audio quality. I think I'm leaning more towards the Porsche Classic the more I stare at them but I could go either way.

Old 12-29-2019 | 10:09 AM
red67vert
Pro

Get the Blau., there’s so much more that grabs your attention, while driving a 993. Go for the best sound. IMHO.
I have the Connie and love it.
Old 12-29-2019 | 06:17 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

I went from OEM option Alpine 7807 radio/CD to Alpine 172BT radio/CD on my 95 993......very happy with how it mates with the OEM HIFI system with the Nokia amp.......sounds like a Burmester audio system now...and the bluetooth works great......color display also changes to numerous colors.......

Last edited by abiazis; 12-31-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-30-2019 | 08:58 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

1999 996 owner here with CDR-210 installed, and looking to switch to AM/FM/Bluetooth. Not an audiophile, happy to keep cost < $200, and no plans to upgrade speakers, amps, etc. I know there is a lot of info to research in this thread, and thanks all for the collective knowledge sharing, but I have one question maybe someone could answer: how many hours for a reasonably competent, mechanically and electrically inclined person to pull the CDR-210 and install the Conti TR7412UB (or other Conti recommended for the above goals)?

Thanks,
Kelly
Old 12-30-2019 | 09:23 PM
will007
Rennlist Member

hi Kelly -- since your are pulling the original it should be really easy -- under two hours. The key is to have all the necessary tools (check the thread or go to Tors website for details on the install) before doing anything. Key tools are the extraction tools to pull the existing radio out. I believe the new radio comes with that tool. You can ask Tor what wiring harness you might need for your specific model and he can include that. His harness will connect directly into the existing radio harness or all you need to do is just plug the existing harness into the back of the radio. The only big issue is the external Bluetooth mic. You have to figure out how to run the wire to keep it hidden. Not difficult, but need to take some time to do a test fit. Once you get to the A pillar it is easy as you can tuck it into the window rubber. Not a difficult job at all. Read the threads and ask Tor for help. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2019 | 11:35 PM
red67vert
Pro

Originally Posted by wkf94025
1999 996 owner here with CDR-210 installed, and looking to switch to AM/FM/Bluetooth. Not an audiophile, happy to keep cost < $200, and no plans to upgrade speakers, amps, etc. I know there is a lot of info to research in this thread, and thanks all for the collective knowledge sharing, but I have one question maybe someone could answer: how many hours for a reasonably competent, mechanically and electrically inclined person to pull the CDR-210 and install the Conti TR7412UB (or other Conti recommended for the above goals)?

Thanks,
Kelly
Hi Kelly:
You just got some great info on the radio install, but if you haven’t changed/upgraded the speakers yet, you really should consider doing so.
It’s not that difficult, and the results make the swap worthwhile. I doubt if any RL members would disagree.
Go for it.
Doc
Old 12-31-2019 | 11:02 AM
993_540
Racer

Originally Posted by will007
hi Kelly -- since your are pulling the original it should be really easy -- under two hours. The key is to have all the necessary tools (check the thread or go to Tors website for details on the install) before doing anything. Key tools are the extraction tools to pull the existing radio out. I believe the new radio comes with that tool. You can ask Tor what wiring harness you might need for your specific model and he can include that. His harness will connect directly into the existing radio harness or all you need to do is just plug the existing harness into the back of the radio. The only big issue is the external Bluetooth mic. You have to figure out how to run the wire to keep it hidden. Not difficult, but need to take some time to do a test fit. Once you get to the A pillar it is easy as you can tuck it into the window rubber. Not a difficult job at all. Read the threads and ask Tor for help. Good luck!
I installed mine myself, used the internal mike on the radio, no issues with taking phone calls on the road. My stock speakers had disintegrated, so had to replace. Tore's service is the best!

dave
95 C2
03 540i6
84 380SL
M561 (retired)
Old 12-31-2019 | 11:44 AM
red67vert
Pro

^^^^Check your speakers, mine were dust too. Plenty of threads to study.
Old 12-31-2019 | 03:47 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by will007
...The only big issue is the external Bluetooth mic...
The Continental’s built-in mic works fine...no need for an external mic.
Old 01-01-2020 | 10:41 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

this^^^^^. I love my Continental radio and think it looks great in the 993. One question for anyone who has one...I haven't figures out how to have the song info (name of song and artist) to show when i use bluetooth. I assume it you can't? Can anyone confirm this?
The following users liked this post:
Jon 'Bama (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020 | 06:32 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 996scott
this^^^^^. I love my Continental radio and think it looks great in the 993. One question for anyone who has one...I haven't figures out how to have the song info (name of song and artist) to show when i use bluetooth. I assume it you can't? Can anyone confirm this?
I was going to ask the same question, but then I thought about it and felt that it may not be possible to do so.

Having said that, can anyone confirm if streaming Spotify via Bluetooth to the Continental head units works well? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-19-2020 | 11:04 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Old thread and late reply, but I finally got around to installing the Continental in my 986 Boxster S. To answer my own question, streaming Spotify via Bluetooth to the Continental head unit works.
Old 03-25-2020 | 06:58 AM
winnenk
4th Gear

Default 3.2 from 1985 EU model: Continental TRD7412UB-OR

Hi guys,
I've a broken Sony radio, and wanted to replace it by Continental TRD7412UB-OF 12V autoradio . This is the DAB version.
I had an appointement to have this done, but because most shops are currently closed because of Covid, they can't help me.
So maybe I can try doing it myself.
Attached are the connectors on the Sony radio, but does anyone have an idea how I can convert that to the new connectors on the Continental?
What do I need to order?

Help will be appreciated,
Thx Kris

This is the Sony connector cable

This is the Sony radio

This is the new Radio Continental

this was delivered with the Continental

This is the new Radio Continental closeup

This is the new Radio Continental

Quick Reply: Installing The Continental TR7412UB-OR Radio