Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing The Continental TR7412UB-OR Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 02:25 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I've found that even the factory radio can be difficult to reinstall properly. It's just too easy for factory radio wiring to get bent the wrong way and take up space designed for the radio chassis.

Have you tried to stick your hand under the dash and reposition the harness a bit as you insert the radio? It's not the most comfortable position to be in, but I've found that's the only way I can get mine to slide fully into position.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:25 PM
bennettlo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@mpruden: The radio itself can go all the way in and sit flush, it's the exterior trim piece that won't fit into the opening. I'm going to look online for universal trim kits, but I'll probably just end up living with it. I'll post again if I come up with a good solution.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Potterphd
Intermediate

Gents, just installed mine this afternoon. It was a very easy process as I don't have the hifi option. However, the usb does not work with either my iPhone 6 or my daughter's iPhone 5s. When I plug it in, it says reading (loading?) but never does anything else. It also does not charge.

I didn't switch the A4 and A7 pins noted above. Could that be it? I think not. Any other ideas? Would hate to have to send it to Germany to exchange.

Also, i removed a blaupunkt Toronto 420. It is close to new, but I broke the trim piece removing it. If anyone would like it, it is yours for the price of shipping.

Here is said daughter for reference.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:43 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Potterphd, make sure test it with an apple brand sub to dock/lightning cable. Sometimes aftermarket cables cause problems.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:33 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

As I recall, pins A4 and A7 needed to be swapped for the battery lead and ignition (switched) lead to go to the right pins. It works either way, but you may find it doesn't power up or power off properly. If connected properly, you can turn it on and off manually without ignition switched on, and you can have it turn on and off automatically with the ignition switch.

Formatting of the iphone may not be compatible with that required by the USB port. Check the Continental user guide. Why not just use the BT to connect the iphone to the radio (A2DP). I use it all the time and it works great for my music, streaming Pandora, podcasts, etc.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:33 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 259 Posts

The USB port only supports USB memories, not an iPod/iPhone.
The memory needs to be FAT16/FAT32 formatted. I tried a 512GB min memory stick, but this had exFAT formatting, and did not work. I am still trying to get the memory working properly in FAT32.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 11-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Potterphd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ToreB
The USB port only supports USB memories, not an iPod/iPhone.
The memory needs to be FAT16/FAT32 formatted. I tried a 512GB min memory stick, but this had exFAT formatting, and did not work. I am still trying to get the memory working properly in FAT32.
Cheers,
Tore
Well that's a dissapointment, but glad I at least know so I don't try to go chasing it down.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:48 PM
bennettlo
AutoX

@photterphd and anyone else using the Continental stereos -- do the buttons themselves illuminate on your unit. My screen illumination works great, but the buttons aren't lighted and it's difficult to use at night. I can't tell if that's the expected behavior or if I have a bad device.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:02 PM
jansan946
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bennettlo,

KenInIrvine, ToreB and I worked through this a couple of weeks ago. Power to pin A6 of the Continental radio must be tapped from the ash tray light. This was the Porsche factory solution when CDR210 radios ran short during the 993 production run. See Body and Interior TSB #5 here: http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...C_Parts_Guides The radio buttons will illuminate when the lights are on and are dimmable with the instrument panel control.
The following users liked this post:
Thomas Moore (05-27-2024)
Old 11-09-2015, 08:14 PM
bennettlo
AutoX

Jansan946,

Thanks, I never would have figured that out!
Old 11-09-2015, 08:20 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bennettlo
Jansan946,

Thanks, I never would have figured that out!
When my Continental didn't have illuminated buttons, I sent an inquiry to the eBay seller and I was told that the radio didn't have illuminated buttons. Luckily, another Rennlister told me that his did, and it was because the A connector harness in his car had power to Pin A6 for his previous (non Becker) radio, so it worked. Most of us with Becker CR-210's and the like didn't have that pin wired in our cars since the Beckers illuminated the buttons all the time internally. The ashtray light is the closest and easiest place to grab power for Pin A6 from the dash lighting circuit, and works like a charm.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:38 PM
bennettlo
AutoX

Yes, I followed those instructions last night and it's working great.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:07 PM
bennettlo
AutoX

BTW - The CD version of this stereo does fit flush in a 964. The outside frame is a real pain to get in there, but it fits.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:27 AM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 134 Posts

FYI these radios are available from forum-favorite Tore Bergvill- I just ordered HID's, LEDs, brake light addition, and this radio from him.

http://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/...car-audio.html

Note that he also offers a short ISO jumper cable to make the power connections plug and play. (As this thread details, Hi-fi cars like mine do require additional wiring to bypass the original amp or adapt new radio's speaker outputs to original amp.)
Old 03-02-2016, 03:09 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Conti installed!

Hi - I'd just like to thank Joe for his excellent write up about the installation process. Also thanks for your PM replies.
I just have to clean up a few wire connections but with the help of Tore's plug and play cables this became a piece of cake. Nicely labeled and with the crossover module I put together, easily swappable with the Nokia Amp to go back to the stock system.
I ordered the radio plus the cables etc. from Tore. Great service and fast shipping!

Here a pic of the module:

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Installing The Continental TR7412UB-OR Radio