993 Forum 1995-1998

New! 9m93 Speedster widebody - full build in detail

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 05:56 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grahampeterm
...PS - Over 7500 hits on this thread in 8 weeks! Catchin up with Curve Lover's!
Great work by all on the car.

Great work by Graham in supplying the $$$fuel$$$

ps: I am sure J (aka Curve Lover) will not let you bump his trophy thread !....lol.... just wait..... once you are done... I am sure he will just "individually merge" selected posts in this thread into his !.... for archive purposes of course !

Good job by both of you. And J should get special mention for his contribution to this board and sharing of extremely valuable information, links, and other helpful resources !

-----> The (paid) members on this board are great !!!!
Old 11-26-2009, 06:15 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Missed this earlier ... Speedy & I are back from a spirited drive in the wonderful holiday weather.
...PS - Over 7500 hits on this thread in 8 weeks! Catchin up with Curve Lover's!
Originally Posted by alpinadvl
J (aka Curve Lover) should get special mention for his contribution to this board and sharing of extremely valuable information, links, and other helpful resources !

Currently looking for : HD shocks / M030 sway bars / hard shell sportback seats (recaro A8's or Porsche) / black 993 interior (or swap) / rear windshield (to swap) and wiper assembly / 993 speedster (the red one) / and $$$
You guys are hilarious. I'm not as good with #s & words; glad you two stay on top of thread #s. I'm guessing that 5,000 of your views are from me
In my view of reality, the world gets better with every 993 Speedster photograph. Speedy can't wait for Cobalt's debut!

Thanks for the honorable mentions, Alf.

Graham-- Hope the previous pix & Rennlist info has helped your build, you young whipper-snapper! All I had in the 'old days' was black & white photographs to look at.

I keep the following tucked away in my diary , from your earlier days -- you've grown up so quick...
Hi Curve Lover
Well what have you got me started on! Always loved the look of a Speedster, and this has just given me the inspiration I needed!
Old 11-27-2009, 05:27 AM
grahampeterm
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Jager
Yes thanks for those pictures and the initial inspiration (although my wife may not thank you!) - we then hit the jackpot! One of 9M's lomg term good customers, who's had preparation work done on various of his road & track cars, played an absolute blinder and kindly loaned the workshop his 964 Speedster! All the missing links then fell into place and a full understanding of how the car was originally built.
I still am amazed that so many OEM parts are still sat on the shelf in Germany - and available 3-4 days later, still carrying the '94 stock code stickers!
Thank goodness no one at Porsche decided to implement a clear out - reminds me of my Dad who always saves 'a usefull bit of wood' - "that'll come in handy one day...." LOL
Graham
Old 11-27-2009, 12:27 PM
grahampeterm
Racer

Default Body dippers

An early morning drive down to the Black Country and we arrived at SPL
- hey my car's on the road again (sort of!)
Name:  DSC_0442.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  198.3 KB

In safe hands - I bl...dy hope so - there's a few hours work gone into this project so far!
Name:  DSC_0446.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  165.5 KB

Farewell until we meet again........... 3 weeks is the promise. Just in time for Crimbo!

Name:  DSC_0447.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  150.1 KB

Graham
Old 11-27-2009, 12:39 PM
grahampeterm
Racer

To keep my paperwork & manuals up to spec, I decided to source the Speedster Supplement manual. I scoured the net, and found one - 'very rare' so the ad read, 'buy it now' for only $99.00 Wow.
A bit more research I found this at Gmund Books - £7.00 less Xmas discount of 10%
£6.30 !!
Bargain!!
Name:  DSC_0437.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  62.7 KB
Graham
Old 12-12-2009, 05:38 AM
grahampeterm
Racer

Default Latest update Dec 12 2009

Latest update - just recieved the folowing pictures from Phil Robinson at Surface Processing.

Dipping the shell into the acid bath:-
Name:  P1050200.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  25.3 KB

Name:  P1050199.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  32.7 KB

Some time later! Emergence!

Name:  P1050201.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  30.9 KB

Wash down & neutralisation:

Name:  P1050203.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  P1050202.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  32.9 KB

Name:  P1050204.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  38.6 KB

So I believe it's now off for another relaxing soak (perhaps Radox!) before being dried and baked prior to the e-coat paint dip!
Oooooeeer getting excited now! LOL
Graham
Old 12-12-2009, 10:21 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Graham - Any chance you have a pdf or document with all the part numbers and prices that you could send me. I know it will be a pricey undertaking but the thought of a white 993 speedster conversion may be just enough to convince me to keep my cab and save for a 2011 project

Thanks!
David

...I still am amazed that so many OEM parts are still sat on the shelf in Germany - and available 3-4 days later, still carrying the '94 stock code stickers!
Thank goodness no one at Porsche decided to implement a clear out - reminds me of my Dad who always saves 'a usefull bit of wood' - "that'll come in handy one day...." LOL
Graham
Old 12-12-2009, 02:03 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
Graham - Any chance you have a pdf or document with all the part numbers and prices that you could send me. I know it will be a pricey undertaking but the thought of a white 993 speedster conversion may be just enough to convince me to keep my cab and save for a 2011 project

Thanks!
David
+1 on the parts number list, Graham (thanks for asking first, David ). I'm moving from semi-serious to serious so it's time to start collecting information and resources, and anything you have that you care to share would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm pretty sure the '89 clamshells are different from the 964 in shape and hinging (something that was a source of complaint on the '89's was the difficulty in getting clamshell/top opened and closed). Are the 964 clamshells a bolt on part or do they have to be modified to fit the 993 contour? Did you have any problems getting the parts for the clamshell hinging mechanism from Porsche?
Thanks,
JP

Last edited by JPP; 12-12-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:25 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Graham-- Echoing my similar sentiments recently on the "Speedster type 993 photo thread" (below): Please consider updating/ confirming/ posting price specifics/ vendors/ part #s, etc., there if convenient. It's intentionally close to being an interactive resource / blog for those pursuing these builds. Continuing input from enthusiasts like you (regarding common part searches, etc.) will perfect that on-line support group for those with the affliction

P.S. Thanks for already helping at least 1 mutual RLer friend, who's lurking, collecting, & asking both of us questions.
It's great having you onboard & fielding queries ... it would be healthier for my night-school schedule if I spent much less time here

Any chance you know how much was spent on just the factory parts needed to do the conversion....I have a MY94 white cab that would make a nice 993 speedster
Originally Posted by curve lover
David-- Glad to hear you're a contender!
Pricing estimates begin on page 3. Best if Graham P (& 2 other unnamed RLers starting Speedster part acquisition) gave their recent experiences.
I hope you (&/or Jon Paul?) have Speedsters to share here soon
I've been thinking of selling my white cab with 30k km since it really doesn't get driven much

Old 12-13-2009, 01:28 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...paint dip!
Oooooeeer getting excited now! LOL
Graham
i'm so en excited for you !!!! ... wishing we had the 9m guys here in the states!

Old 12-14-2009, 06:21 AM
grahampeterm
Racer

You mean you want me to divulge all the hard work 9M & myself did cross checking the PET between 964 Cabrio/Targa & Speedster - and then 993 Cab to find the relevant differences?
Well in the interests of the 993 Speedster community -

964 Speedster Parts
L & R REAR BULKHEAD, INSERTS, BRACKETS, OUTER SCUTTLE COWL, DASHBOARD, 'A' POSTS (HINGE PILLARS) WING JOINING PLATES. REAR BULKHEAD.
Now that little lot will set you back about £2650.00

To make any narrow body car into a wide body car you would need:-
GUSSET PLATES, DOOR STEPS, FRT FENDER JOINING PLATES, REAR QUARTERS, SUPPORTS, PU SUPPORT TUBES
Again this will cost another £2500 or so.

For the 2S look with the split grille,
GRILLES, CENTRE SUPPORT, CLAMP BAR, REINFORCER
Another £200

And then a myriad of small and not so small parts - sundry seals, insulation, carpets, trim pieces the list goes on but adds another £2000 or so.

Then we have the UK VAT at 15% which is about to increase by 2.5% in the New Year - and maybe more as the Govt continue to hash things up! And any discount that you are able to get from the supplying dealer using PCGB or PCA influence etc!

The most important bits, aside the essential 993 Cabrio ;0 , is obtaining the roof & frame, the 'hump', doors (not butchering standard ones please!) and the screen plus surround.
Screens are stocked in Germany - £1500, and the frame is still available at nearly £3000!

Oh nearly forgot - Speedster badge - £18.00,

Like all good recipes given out by the top chefs, those are the ingredients - and the picture in the book looks marvellous, the real proof of the pudding is as they say, in the eating, or in this case, driving the finished work of art!
That's down to the skill of the Chef - or in this case, the guys over at 9M in Warrington!

Graham

Last edited by grahampeterm; 12-27-2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Information overload!
Old 12-14-2009, 01:54 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Excellent progress!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is something deeply satisfying about this thread.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Graham,

excited for you.

When is the 9m / 993 / Speedster "group buy" pricing start?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:11 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

You mean you want me to divulge all the hard work 9M & myself did cross checking the PET between 964 Cabrio/Targa & Speedster - and then 993 Cab to find the relevant differences?
Well in the interests of the 993 Speedster community -
Graham
Wow, Graham, thank you so much! I just sent for the PET CD Rom and was not looking forward to dissecting it, this will save me and others a lot of time! You sir, are a class act.

Quick Reply: New! 9m93 Speedster widebody - full build in detail