Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New! 9m93 Speedster widebody - full build in detail

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:59 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Now after seeing and reading about the fastidious cleaning, sealing and finish process, I hope it's all going directly to paint or placed in a hermetically sealed bag.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:34 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Man, you guys are suffering on a completely different level than me Kidding aside, I'm wondering why the car had to go through the dipping process. I'm sure it's the most thorough way to completely clean the body and prep it for paint, but I would imagine many projects like this just disassemble what's necessary to install the Speedster-unique parts, and then prep those areas with the rest of the car for paint. Is it because you're doing a color change as well or did the car's body have corrosion in the nooks and crannies as many do after 15 years of road work?
The main reason why we took the decision to e-coat the car is because of the wide body re-panel, not the Speedster conversion itself. The turbo body update required the sills, kidney bowls and quarter panels to be replaced, and although we could have thoroughly etch-primed and probe-sprayed the new joints inside and out for a satisfactory protection level, given that we were colour changing the car slightly meant that we would have also had to hand prepare the engine bay and under bonnet areas. Add up all the time to do this work and the additional time to bare metal the rest of the car and you can soon see why the e-coat process won us over. Sure we will now have to seam-sealer all the joints and re-stonechip the floor, but the overall finish is now going to be as good as it can get with absolutely no compromises.

As you can probably gather, when it comes to unique projects like building another 9mRS or this one, 9m simply does not do compromise.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:36 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Now after seeing and reading about the fastidious cleaning, sealing and finish process, I hope it's all going directly to paint or placed in a hermetically sealed bag.
No need to rush, now it's e-coated that unpainted bodyshell could survive 1000 hours in salt spray.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:08 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
No need to rush, now it's e-coated that unpainted bodyshell could survive 1000 hours in salt spray.
You'll have to go through the entire cleaning process if subjected to the above.
I was kidding, as throughout the entire cleaning/e-coat process none of the surfaces were ever touched by by hand.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:06 PM
grahampeterm
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I collected the e-coated 'tub' this morning - how apt on the first snowy day of this winter! -1C lashing the car down onto a flat bed truck!
Roll on Spring and the warm weather!

Name:  IMG00134-20091218-1039.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  140.2 KB

Name:  IMG00135-20091218-1040.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  131.9 KB

Graham

Last edited by grahampeterm; 12-19-2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Added pictures!
Old 12-18-2009, 02:25 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by grahampeterm
Well I collected the e-coated 'tub' this morning - how apt on the first snowy day of this winter! -1C lashing the car down onto a flat bed truck!
... and it arrived safe & sound back at 9m, thank goodness.

Knowing Marc as I do, he'll probably have it back on the spit next week, warmed up in the booth and will be seam sealing all the panel joints before Xmas!

I'll post some more detail shots of the e-coated shell next week as soon as I get the chance.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:07 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

As you can probably gather, when it comes to unique projects like building another 9mRS or this one, 9m simply does not do compromise.
No doubt, Colin. I'd bet Graham's car has better corrosion protection now than the factory 'White Bodies' you see coming up from the basement at the factory tour in Zueffenhausen!
Thanks for the info, this is indeed awesome to be able to follow along like this.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:49 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

not impressed.

ok.... impressed....
Old 12-19-2009, 05:35 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinadvl
not impressed.

ok.... impressed....
Nice
Old 12-19-2009, 05:52 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I'll post some more detail shots of the e-coated shell next week as soon as I get the chance.
This is a great testament to skilled artisans at work. Two questions please. Will you also e-coat the doors to prevent rust/corrosion? In the pictures of the wheels you posted a couple of weeks ago, how did you achieve the precision and sharp cutoff between the blue and silver on the spokes?
Old 12-19-2009, 08:02 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JimPA
This is a great testament to skilled artisans at work. Two questions please. Will you also e-coat the doors to prevent rust/corrosion? In the pictures of the wheels you posted a couple of weeks ago, how did you achieve the precision and sharp cutoff between the blue and silver on the spokes?
There is a problem e-coating late aircooled 911 doors because the door bars are held to the outer skin with structural adhesive; if you dip the doors with the door bar in place it causes the outer panel to distort badly. We found this out the hard way. For the 9mRS Clubsport programme where the car is fitted with a fully welded in roll cage, we cut out the integral door bar before it goes for e-coating and they come back looking like new, however for lightweights or road cars without a cage the bars have to be left in, so the doors are not e-coated.

The precision line on the wheel is done with lining tape & careful masking but it helps that we have a full water base colour scheme in-house so we can paint the silver first, mask then blue & remove the tape when the base coat is not fully dry. Once the whole base coat is dry the wheel is simply clear lacquered all over. I'm sure most bodyshops would use the same technique.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:48 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

O.k., guy's, I know Boxing Day is over, even in Canada!! Time to put the pints down and get back to work, right?
What's new on Graham's Speedster project? I confess, I'm totally addicted to this thread and I'm 'Jonesin' .....
Old 01-07-2010, 12:23 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grahampeterm

thanks for those shots!
oh my.... a happy 2010 awaits graham & the speedster clone.
pick up yer pints (lol) & lookin' forward to seeing more amigos!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:52 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Don't worry folks, work on the 9m Speedster will be starting again next week. Then you might have to flip channels to the 964 board to also watch the progress of our new 9m64RS Clubsport project.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:08 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Quick Reply: New! 9m93 Speedster widebody - full build in detail