Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New! 9m93 Speedster widebody - full build in detail

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:25 PM
smoothcab
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K. Gentlemen, I just took 2 hours of the most enjoyable journey I have ever taken on-line. From the first post; I knew this was going to be a special thread. It is without question the most enjoyable build I have had the pleasure to read and see!!

Big congratulations Graham on this project, it appears to me that you have selected a first class builder that shares not only your passion but your love of cars.

Kudos to the NineMeister team for your committment to quality and superior workmanship excellence!! What an absolute joy this thread is!! Kenny
Old 02-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Did you really need to ask?

I guess not.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:16 PM
grahampeterm
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Paul - I just happened to take a few pictures! Here's one of the 'new' A posts - 964 Speedster variety! These were manufactured back in '94 when Porsche had the idea of making 3000+ cars - instead they made just over 950, so they've got a few parts in stock!
Name:  NewdoorAposts.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  P1050358.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  26.5 KB

Oh - thanks Kenny

Graham

Last edited by grahampeterm; 02-22-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks Kenny, your words are much appreciated.

So here's Tuesday mornings update, best of all we finally catch Graham in his scruffs actually working on his own car!

Well, when I say working, what he is actually doing is playing with his new minature air horn to see if it will fit behind the headlight in the same place as the original pair of horns. Robin's the one actually putting the car together, seen here hooking up the dash wiring with his legs flailing out of the driver's door opening. Fortunately for him I missed the shot of his purple face re-apearing shortly afterwards....
Attached Images     
Old 02-23-2010, 10:02 AM
msw
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 16 Posts

incredible work...really enjoying following the progess

have to ask though...what is the 'ballpark' expense for doing a rebuild like this?

i know 'it's only money'...but still curious.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 11 Posts

This has got to be one of the most amazing projects/posts I have ever come across..... I cant wait to see the final results!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:47 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by msw
incredible work...really enjoying following the progess

have to ask though...what is the 'ballpark' expense for doing a rebuild like this?

i know 'it's only money'...but still curious.
Let's just say that when the car is finished I will be writing £100k (minimum) on the insurance valuation document.

Yup, that's a fairly big number, but do keep in mind that it will be the only "genuine" RHD 993 Speedster in the World, built in exactly the same way & on the same factory jig as it's LHD 993 Speedster family members. What price do you put on something unique? I also can't help but feel that you might double this number if it ended up for auction and the right person decided they had to own it.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Robin's the one actually putting the car together, seen here hooking up the dash wiring with his legs flailing out of the driver's door opening. Fortunately for him I missed the shot of his purple face re-apearing shortly afterwards....
Obviously, making sausage ain't pretty ........

Old 02-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

So, (probably don't need to ask this either, but), do you have a documented re-assembly document that you are working to. Something above and beyond the shop manuals? Sort of like a Haynes manual, with a step-by-step list of what component goes in, and in what order?

It's apparent that you and the guys have a wealth of knowledge and experience on how these cars go together, but surely it can't all be in someone's head...

Or did you merely document the disassembly, and write "assembly is the reverse of disassembly."
Old 02-23-2010, 02:21 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul M
So, (probably don't need to ask this either, but), do you have a documented re-assembly document that you are working to. Something above and beyond the shop manuals? Sort of like a Haynes manual, with a step-by-step list of what component goes in, and in what order?

It's apparent that you and the guys have a wealth of knowledge and experience on how these cars go together, but surely it can't all be in someone's head...

Or did you merely document the disassembly, and write "assembly is the reverse of disassembly."

Funnily enough, it is all in somebody's head - Marc's - but it actually helps that he's dyslexic which has left him with a photographic memory and a 500gB hard drive to back up all the information. You have to believe me in that if MC takes anything to pieces, he can put it back together again months later and know where every clip, bracket and screw fits. Which is, of course, why you find me on Rennlist taking photos of Marc & Robin working on the cars.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:31 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

End of the day, big lumps now being bolted in place.

Engine time tomorrow.
Attached Images      
Old 02-23-2010, 03:21 PM
msw
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 16 Posts

" What price do you put on something unique? I also can't help but feel that you might double this number if it ended up for auction and the right person decided they had to own it."

Double at least...
Old 02-23-2010, 06:42 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really enjoyed the thread and the details/effort you guys have put into this project. After such careful rebuild, I can't help but think that you should have cleaned eveything before it went back together again (cue in Rich Laurier or Andreas ). Now it is not worth £200K
Old 02-23-2010, 07:30 PM
grahampeterm
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh I can assure you it's all been steamed cleaned and given the once over with new bushing as required - I did consider the full 'shine, titivated' option, but to disassemble all the suspension components, media blast, repaint, lacquer. rebuild, re-align, would just add £100's .... no £1000's to the project.
At the end of the day. the car is for driving, not a display ornament. Just waiting now for the KW V3 kit to arrive and it'll be sweet!
Graham
Old 02-23-2010, 07:39 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that is a Steble compact airhorn, he is going to looovvee it! I put one on my motorcycle and it scared the hell out of idiots on cell phones and folks that didn't see two-wheeled vehicles. Unfortunately, it won't stop taxis from u-turning in front of you...don't ask me how I know. BTW:what a privilege to watch art being created by you and the guys. I salute you!

Quick Reply: New! 9m93 Speedster widebody - full build in detail