Sponsored by:

New! 9m93 Speedster widebody - full build in detail

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:12 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
In response to the colour of the sealant, both the same stuff but using light grey on the floorpan because:
a) it is a smoother mix & hence flows slightly easier into the joints than the black
b) ran out of black and had it in stock

Got the message thanks, so I'll keep posting the detail preparation updates as and when I can.
Thanks Colin (a.k.a. "Billy No Mates"), detail is what we crave. Believe me when I say that for me, reading your threads are like taking an on-line Doctoral course in Automobile Engineering and there aren't many other things I'd rather be doing, so please, keep it coming mate.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colin, I will add another vote to "keep the details and photos coming!"

I do have one special request. When you take the "after" photos please include a few with a plain old regular 993 Cab, so we can really see the difference.

Thanks,
--Joe
Old 02-11-2010, 01:55 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

This is probably this weeks final instalment.

Here we have the upside down shell just after it has been undercoated with the water based spray sealer, if you look carefully you can see that when the spray sealer is wet it is duck egg green but when it fully dries out it goes a dark grey. Because it is an air dry system the heater in left off with the fans circulating cold fresh air from outside through the booth, thus preventing the sealer from prematurely skinning over and trapping in moisture.

Marc can be seen here going around the shell removing the little bits of masking tape that was covering up the suspension & other mounting points.
Attached Images      
Old 02-11-2010, 02:12 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Here we have the upside down shell just after it has been undercoated with the water based spray sealer, if you look carefully you can see that when the spray sealer is wet it is duck egg green but when it fully dries out it goes a dark grey.
Interesting that it's water based. I was just told recently that paint shops all over the world are converting their systems to support water based primer's/paint/sealers to meet the more strict environmental standards being set. Are there products still in use that aren't water based? What are the advantages?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:38 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As with any two product types, there are pro's and con's with both systems, however the guys do prefer the water based sealers because they are not only easier to apply (especially when the product and surface is cold), they are also significantly less toxic and save on the gas heating cost because they are cold air dry.

As you will see in future instalments of the Speedster build, when it comes to the actual paint finish, it is only the colour layer of paint which is water based; the etch, primer and laquer are all still solvent based. The latest laquers are high solids (/low solvent) which reduce environmental impact but as with all these products, you need to adapt your techniques and buy new equipment to get the best from them.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:36 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey, that's an idea Raptor, once it's finished maybe we should put together a slide show movie & post it on YouTube??

Thanks for the thumbs up, I'll pass on your comments to Marc and the rest of his 9m Panelcraft team.
Coincidence or what?? Just talking with our Web guru tony today and he tells me that he has put together a slide show for the 9m93RS Clubsport Widebody on the 9m Panelcraft home page:

http://www.ninemeister.com/bodyRepair.aspx

Guess what's coming next??
Old 02-14-2010, 06:55 PM
grahampeterm
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking good now the stone chip has dried
Name:  DSC_0573.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  134.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0581.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  126.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0582.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  108.2 KB

Name:  DSC_0574.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  87.4 KB

Just so looking forward to the colour going on!

Graham
Old 02-14-2010, 07:13 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by grahampeterm
Just so looking forward to the colour going on!

Graham
Me too!
Old 02-14-2010, 08:28 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Graham, this needs a 3.8
Old 02-15-2010, 02:57 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colin, If I took as good care of my body as you have this car, I might live to see 200. But what would it feel like without scotch? Fantastic project!
Old 02-15-2010, 12:01 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That's amazing how the primer changes color/colour as it cures! Yes, It will be nice to see the final paint colour shot on it.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:03 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Monday morning, back to the grind at 9m bright & early for MC (Marc Clowes) who donned his paint suit, powered up the booth and shot the floorpan with its layer of blue primer - here's the shots after it had finished the paint bake cycle just after lunch.

I think Marc's intention is to do some more minor demasking & spot priming before hitting the floor with colour whilst it is on the spit.
Attached Images     
Old 02-15-2010, 12:04 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
That's amazing how the primer changes color/colour as it cures! Yes, It will be nice to see the final paint colour shot on it.
The colour change you have noticed is not the primer, it's the water based spray sealer.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Coincidence or what?? Just talking with our Web guru tony today and he tells me that he has put together a slide show for the 9m93RS Clubsport Widebody on the 9m Panelcraft home page:

http://www.ninemeister.com/bodyRepair.aspx

Guess what's coming next??
Site looks good Colin, some interesting projects. Been waiting for the update or follow on article of the 4.0 964 RS that was featured in Total 911 about 3 years ago, as at the time it was work in progress. Is the project still ongoing? Are we to get Pt II article any time soon?
Great work keep it up!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:15 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Barty964rst
Site looks good Colin, some interesting projects. Been waiting for the update or follow on article of the 4.0 964 RS that was featured in Total 911 about 3 years ago, as at the time it was work in progress. Is the project still ongoing? Are we to get Pt II article any time soon?
Great work keep it up!
It's a good question. That car is still UK registered but the owner now resides in Geneva so he has taken it back there (with his other car, a red RHD 964 RSL) to play with for the summer. I suppose it would be a good enough excuse for a journo to take a nice trip to Switzerland for a weekend break .....

I'll post a few photos on the 964 forum to keep you happy in the meantime.

Quick Reply: New! 9m93 Speedster widebody - full build in detail