Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarhombre
BTW:what a privilege to watch art being created by you and the guys. I salute you!

When it comes to Speedster Art at the moment we're light years behind Jager and his beautifully photographed Speedy. That said, Marc and the team are doing their best to make the car look absolutely perfect from every angle and there is still hope that Graham will stretch his expensive camera to it full potential and come up with a few stunning shots of his own. Not sure we will ever get the same clear blue skies in the UK as Jager found, however whatever we are faced with it has to be better than the darkness in the 9m Panelcraft workshop!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Funnily enough, it is all in somebody's head - Marc's - but it actually helps that he's dyslexic which has left him with a photographic memory and a 500gB hard drive to back up all the information. You have to believe me in that if MC takes anything to pieces, he can put it back together again months later and know where every clip, bracket and screw fits. Which is, of course, why you find me on Rennlist taking photos of Marc & Robin working on the cars.
That just makes it even more impressive.

I have trouble finding the oil filler cap when I've just topped up the oil.

We'll all keep our fingers crossed that Marc doesn't get hit by a bus crossing Bridge Foot before he finishes...
Old 02-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's just say that when the car is finished I will be writing £100k (minimum) on the insurance valuation document.

Yup, that's a fairly big number, but do keep in mind that it will be the only "genuine" RHD 993 Speedster in the World, built in exactly the same way & on the same factory jig as it's LHD 993 Speedster family members. What price do you put on something unique? I also can't help but feel that you might double this number if it ended up for auction and the right person decided they had to own it.
I admittedly know nothing about valuation of rare cars. I certainly don't know much about Speedsters. I have loved reading and looking at all the pics and posts in this thread and am very impressed, but I do have a question. Can a car be considered "genuine" if it wasn't converted by the people (Porsche Exclusiv?) who made the speedster? Doesn't the VIN still point to a Convertible with it's original build/options? Isn't there a difference between Speedster VIN's and convertible VIN's? Are there authenticity checks (like the rest of the 993's in Streather's 993 book?) and if so how does this car pass them? I'm sure I'm just showing my stupidity here... I'm sure my foot is already in my mouth... Be easy on me... I haven't even owned my 993 for a year yet... I'm a noob...just a curious one... That's how I learn.

Beautiful work btw. Cobalt is my favorite color and anyone would be lucky to own that piece of art when It's finished. BTW I also wanted to add that you guys really dont f**k around. That thing is getting done quick..

Nick
Old 02-24-2010, 05:32 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Warpig
I admittedly know nothing about valuation of rare cars. I certainly don't know much about Speedsters. I have loved reading and looking at all the pics and posts in this thread and am very impressed, but I do have a question. Can a car be considered "genuine" if it wasn't converted by the people (Porsche Exclusiv?) who made the speedster? Doesn't the VIN still point to a Convertible with it's original build/options? Isn't there a difference between Speedster VIN's and convertible VIN's? Are there authenticity checks (like the rest of the 993's in Streather's 993 book?) and if so how does this car pass them? I'm sure I'm just showing my stupidity here... I'm sure my foot is already in my mouth... Be easy on me... I haven't even owned my 993 for a year yet... I'm a noob...just a curious one... That's how I learn.

Beautiful work btw. Cobalt is my favorite color and anyone would be lucky to own that piece of art when It's finished. BTW I also wanted to add that you guys really dont f**k around. That thing is getting done quick..

Nick

Nick, I may have got the wrong end of the stick here, so please make allowances if I have, however I thought that I read somewhere that Jerry Seinfeld's silver 993 Speedster was originally a cabriolet that was sent back to Porsche to be converted into a Speedster? If this is the case, all that Porsche would have done is use exactly the same process that we have at 9m, using the same Celette chassis jig and welding on original factory panels throughout which have come from the same stores (I'm not sure they would have re- E-coated the shell though?). So as far as I am concerned, the fact that 9m did the build is irrelevant and Graham's car will be as "genuine" as Jerry's, however that's only my interpretation!

Like I said though, if I haven't got my grip of that stick in exactly the right place, I dare say that someone will very soon correct me, but at the end of the day no matter how other people view the car, Graham will still have the only Cobalt Blue, widebodied RHD 993 Speedster in existence, so that's not a bad thing, is it?
Old 02-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Warpig
Pro

Nick, I may have got the wrong end of the stick here, so please make allowances if I have, however I thought that I read somewhere that Jerry Seinfeld's silver 993 Speedster was originally a cabriolet that was sent back to Porsche to be converted into a Speedster? If this is the case, all that Porsche would have done is use exactly the same process that we have at 9m, using the same Celette chassis jig and welding on original factory panels throughout which have come from the same stores (I'm not sure they would have re- E-coated the shell though?). So as far as I am concerned, the fact that 9m did the build is irrelevant and Graham's car will be as "genuine" as Jerry's, however that's only my interpretation!

Like I said though, if I haven't got my grip of that stick in exactly the right place, I dare say that someone will very soon correct me, but at the end of the day no matter how other people view the car, Graham will still have the only Cobalt Blue, widebodied RHD 993 Speedster in existence, so that's not a bad thing, is it?
I hope you didn't think I was taking a poke at you guys... I am in awe of your work. I truly have almost no knowledge about speedsters. In fact all I know is what I read from Streathers book and this thread. Being that this cab is the "only" RHD speedster in existence and the documented job you guys have done on the car justifies the car in my opinion as well. I am sure it is worth at least what you state and I'm sure making it that way has cost a small fortune as well I only ask the question because it seems that with the Porsche bunch that we all are, it seems very important that every car be "authentic" to the smallest detail or it's frowned upon. I guess the fact that it is what it is and is the ONLY one trumps all that. Just made me wonder... I know anyone looking for a car like this (if Graham ever sells), that saw the car and this thread and wanted to buy it would have no issues with the purchase.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 02-24-2010, 10:08 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cheers Nick, glad you're enjoying the build. The car is definitely authentic, but that's 100% authentic 9m/Porsche - just like Jerry's Speedster which is 100% Werks1/Porsche.

For insurance valuation purposes of unique & bespoke cars you have to set the valuation at the cost of replicating the entire project to the same quality using brand new parts. Graham has obviously saved a lot on this project by finding suitable used Speedster parts in good condition, but his good luck is unlikely to be repeated.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:22 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Back to today's progress on the car. It's lunchtime & Robin's been beavering away on the engine bay anciliaries all morning, they have fitted the engine and Marc is under the back end sorting out the tiptronic linkage and connecting the oil pipes. You can see that we have got a pair of spare wheels are on the front axle, so as soon as the rear crossmember is on we'll fit another pair of rears to roll the car off the ramp. Hopefully if things go well in the shop over the next three days, the will be going back into the booth to paint the outer panels.

I'm hoping to be able to show you the finished body in colour by weekend since both me and Marc are not in work the following week. The rush to get it painted is so that we can leave it standing to thoroughly harden the laquer so that it will polish up to perfection when we finally hit it with the mop.
Attached Images   
Old 02-24-2010, 10:26 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 257 Posts

Must... have... new big oval exhaust tips
Old 02-24-2010, 11:27 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Must... have... new big oval exhaust tips
Discussed ..... big .... stainless steel .... multiple pipes..... this week .... with Graham .....
Old 02-24-2010, 11:41 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All that nice body work and you stick a dirty suspension and engine back in it? My tears are building up
Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by larpy
All that nice body work and you stick a dirty suspension and engine back in it? My tears are building up
+1

I thought this was a mock-up at first -- send the exhaust out for plating at a minimum

Monroes too?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:39 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by chris walrod
+1

I thought this was a mock-up at first -- send the exhaust out for plating at a minimum
As Graham mentioned in a previous post, the engine, suspension and running gear have all been steam cleaned before fitting but given the early decision to spend a lot more on the bodywork than originally intended, we have to keep in mind that this car is not going to be a garage queen, so what's the point in making everything look like new when in 12 months time it will look like this?

Perhaps Graham might like to justify it more, however it also has to be kept in mind that we wanted to complete the car quickly, so if he changes his mind about the running gear it is a very simple job to drop the lot next winter and spend next year's budget on repainting all the parts.

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Monroes too?
Monroes are destined for sale on Ebay, we have KW Variant 3 on order which will be fitted when the car is finished.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

we have to keep in mind that this car is not going to be a garage queen, so what's the point in making everything look like new when in 12 months time it will look like this?
You are simply making far too much sense. I bet if you offered up a couple of roundtrip tickets to the UK + beer to certain members of this board, you could have those undercarriage parts shiny and OCD worthy in no time!
Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
You are simply making far too much sense. I bet if you offered up a couple of roundtrip tickets to the UK + beer to certain members of this board, you could have those undercarriage parts shiny and OCD worthy in no time!
Hey, you're closer to home than you think with the OCD comment, it's taken me years of training to get Marc to refit serviceable parts onto a project and not get the lads to spend rafts of hours cleaning & painting for nothing.

I suppose we could always organise a summer weekend Speedster cleanup party. You up for that Graham? I would have no problem lending you and a few helpers the use of a 2 post lift & the the hot tank parts washer for a couple of days.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:18 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That's a bit of a shame that the undercarriage components are being so overshadowed by the beautiful finish of the chassis. It's the harsh reality of maintaining a budget.

Quick Reply: New! 9m93 Speedster widebody - full build in detail