993 WB Values are UP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 07:47 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Yes.

I think I will place an ad for a “young technician”. It will be listed in the classifieds under “skapegoat wanted”.

This is management 101 at its worst. I’ve had to stand in front of clients before and explain errors. Although it was obvious to all who made the mistake, we always said “we made an error”.

After being brought to their attention, this seller should have said his team that bought the car never lifted the carpet in front (giving them the benefit of the doubt here). Then pull the auction and have the repair reviewed and necessary fixes made. Return it later with full disclosure. Now this could harm his name on that platform.
Wasn’t necessary.

Would say it also hurts the reputation of the platform. Not that any offer any guarantees or claims of quality vehicles etc. BUT now that there is obvious misinformation and not full disclosure, the platform should remove the listing and ensure it's properly represented before relisting.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:49 PM
Clark W Griswold
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by E-Man
Interesting.. As I had the exact opposite experience buying a C2S from Tarek307.

I bought a car from Tarek with no ppi because he did such a good job representing the condition of the car. You don’t get a good reputation on selling these cars by accident.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:04 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cscrogham
If anyone has questions about this Carrera S just listed lmk

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/1...-carrera-s-11/

That’s a beautiful 993S!
The following 2 users liked this post by dave morris:
cscrogham (10-20-2021), PoorManPorsche (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 08:38 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,467 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Would say it also hurts the reputation of the platform. Not that any offer any guarantees or claims of quality vehicles etc. BUT now that there is obvious misinformation and not full disclosure, the platform should remove the listing and ensure it's properly represented before relisting.
Absolutely. I know, for a fact, that this has soured me on pcarmarket.

I'm sure they are shielded from liability but they ought to exercise some reasonable care about the auctions they present. The very strong impression is that there was an intention to deceive with this auction. Honest mistake or not, the optics are terrible. If it was my marketplace, I'd shut it down.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
spinfree (10-19-2021), SToronto (10-20-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 10:37 PM
stutt911
Banned

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PoorManPorsche
How do you have documents so quickly on a repair that you said never happened only moments earlier?
these guys are playing games and we’re exposed. Also pcar market s known for these kinds of cars being listed there

Last edited by stutt911; 10-19-2021 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:42 PM
stutt911
Banned

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark W Griswold
I bought a car from Tarek with no ppi because he did such a good job representing the condition of the car. You don’t get a good reputation on selling these cars by accident.
Buy the seller holds true. Tarek is solid, personally know several who have bought from him and are very happy. Few months ago we were at the Flying L event and there were 3 of Tarek’s recent customers with wide body 993s as happy as ever parked side by side trying to barter Fister mufflers off one another lol.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:25 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

• Year: 1997
  • Make: Porsche
  • Model: 911 Carrera 2S
  • VIN: WP0AA2998VS322993
  • Mileage: 21,737
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Title Status: Clean
  • Color: Black
  • Seller: mmorganstein
  • Seller Type: Dealer
  • just to make sure there is a record of the suspect car on Pcarmarket. My guess is that it doesn’t sell on pcarmarket and continues to float around
Old 10-20-2021, 12:01 AM
PoorManPorsche
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Yes.

I think I will place an ad for a “young technician”. It will be listed in the classifieds under “skapegoat wanted”.

This is management 101 at its worst. I’ve had to stand in front of clients before and explain errors. Although it was obvious to all who made the mistake, we always said “we made an error”.

After being brought to their attention, this seller should have said his team that bought the car never lifted the carpet in front (giving them the benefit of the doubt here). Then pull the auction and have the repair reviewed and necessary fixes made. Return it later with full disclosure. Now this could harm his name on that platform.
Wasn’t necessary.
Companies like @PCARMARKET are caught in a twisted conundrum - sellers are their bread and butter and there is increasing competition to attract them and their big ticket cars. They need buyers too, but without sellers, the party never gets started. So sellers rarely get their wrists slapped for running afoul of the established rules of commerce. Present situation is a perfect example.
The following 3 users liked this post by PoorManPorsche:
autobonrun (10-20-2021), Gbos1 (10-20-2021), M. Schneider (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 09:04 AM
Britzky9
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

The issue for me as a first time P-Car buyer is whether this would make a fun driver quality car. I'm not looking for a show car or garage queen. I wanna have fun driving on the weekends. I would love thoughts from the masses. I'm fine with imperfection.
Fun is relative. Without driving one (or any car), there is no easy way to know. Manage expectations as to what the purpose of the type of driving experience you are looking for.

It's fun to make an old car go "fast", and get a little squirrely on the turns. But, it might take much longer than desired to get up to speed...and, remember it's not "new" - there are things that are going to wear out and need fixing.

It's also fun to make a newer car scream while not using half its power. And that too has its down side, unless you want everyone to hear how fast you are getting to the next red light.

Very subjective.

For me, my goal with every purchase is a "free-car" - meaning I buy it, drive it, have a blast with it, and in the end sell it for at least the amount of money I put into it (every dime, tax, insurance, maintenance, etc.)...thus...I was simply the fortunate steward that got to have fun and got my money back...and it's the next guy's turn.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Britzky9; 10-20-2021 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Multitasking means you suck at multiple things at once. :)
Old 10-20-2021, 09:35 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
Absolutely. I know, for a fact, that this has soured me on pcarmarket.

I'm sure they are shielded from liability but they ought to exercise some reasonable care about the auctions they present. The very strong impression is that there was an intention to deceive with this auction. Honest mistake or not, the optics are terrible. If it was my marketplace, I'd shut it down.
What boggles my mind sometimes is how pervasive these behaviours are in the used car industry. It's as old as time. Doesn't matter the selling platform. Is there anybody you can truly trust that offers a top notch experience, that really cares about the customer. I don't even mean trust to the point of no inspection etc, but if you go as far as the inspection results match the sellers disclosure.

Want to start a new business with the above in mind?
Old 10-20-2021, 09:51 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

The issue for me as a first time P-Car buyer is whether this would make a fun driver quality car. I'm not looking for a show car or garage queen. I wanna have fun driving on the weekends. I would love thoughts from the masses. I'm fine with imperfection.
I can't speak to the particular car, because haven't gone back on your posts to understand situation. I also presume you aren't talking about how a 993 drives. Rather the quality of the car.

I think you want to do a PPI for sure. To know what you are getting, what could need work right away, within first year or second and third year potential items. Odds are you are going to want to sort something out when you take ownership whether that is maintenance, replacement or modification. Trick is to find a car that fits your budget and stomach for those three things. These cars aren't cheap to do anything, unless you wrench yourself, then it's more reasonable. Knowing what you are getting plays into the fun you will have big time. Nobody likes bad surprises. Those three things I mention will also eat into your fun time, don't recall where you live as I type this, but depending on your driving season and the work to be done, will take driving time away. Then I would say, these cars will always need something or you will always want to do something to them that fits those three categories. Maintenance is a given (I hope for all).

On my 930, which had mechanical and exterior restoration, it still had some sorting to be done that caused drivability issues. This was in December 2019 into 2020. Not a big issue. Then this Spring, I needed to replace the alternator. Again not a big deal but speaks to the point of there might always be something as these are old cars and parts start to fail. One thing I am starting to do on the 930 is to just proactively replace critical things. Will be doing the fuel system in the Spring. If I had the budget, I would just do it all at once.

My approach with my aircooleds has been to buy the best I can afford. Ideally something with lower mileage as I like to be the one putting the miles on the car.

Last edited by SToronto; 10-20-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:56 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default This 993S Auction has been withdrawn

See the site for complete Pcar reply but here is an excerpt:

“As a result, we will be withdrawing the auction.
We may allow the car to run a new 7 day auction which would allow bidders the time to perform a proper PPI at an independent shop.
Once again, thank you all for your comments. A true community has been created here. We greatly appreciate all of you.”
Old 10-20-2021, 10:00 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

deleted...

Last edited by stevensivak; 10-20-2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:09 AM
rsa964
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This morning I posted a comment - "Pcarmarket please outline what the strict ethical guidelines are for sellers". It has been deleted and they posted all comments to Pcarmarket should be sent to the help desk.
The following users liked this post:
Das14444 (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 10:13 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

What about:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-s-36/

This is how you spend money on a car and then get less for it
then if you had not made any mods....
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (10-20-2021)