Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 WB Values are UP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 01:28 PM
Braun
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frank, I'm one who appreciates any further understanding for what I'm getting into as a 993 buyer...or as a seller for that matter.

As a 993 seller, what documentation do you give to prospective buyer when you repair the speedometer/odometer as you described? Does buyer have to ask you about the repair and request it unsolicited, or do you proved the documentation automatically upon buyer interest and inquiry?

As a 993 buyer, what documentation would you accept from seller to avoid removal and inspection of speedometer/odometer?

Given the high likelihood that many 993 speedometer/odometers have failed due to age at this point, not necessarily due to mileage and use, it seems prudent for any serious 993 buyer to request documentation for speedometer/odometer repair and or ask for inspection in the absence thereof. Just my $.02

This is response to 'NotFastEnough' Frank Beck post on 01.14.2022

Last edited by Braun; 01-16-2022 at 01:33 PM. Reason: clarify reply
Old 01-16-2022, 01:36 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 536 Posts

Just analyze the maintenance records. Will tell the story.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:59 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by 997dreamer
I spoke to the dealer and was seriously considering it. It’s a Canadian car (& lives in Montreal now so very difficult to see it in person for Americans) but the dealer has been importing cars for years and pays all the import costs. Its got fantastic options and quite reasonably priced IMO unless there is some undisclosed story. It has what appears to be a minor accident in the carfax and probably some paintjob.

I asked the dealer to send me a walk around video but he never did and is quite slow in responding so I got discouraged ended up buying another car.
Originally Posted by Britzky9
Really interesting car...those sports seats alone might make the "risk" worth it?
Originally Posted by 997dreamer
I’m with you. Could be a real gem, which in this market, makes me think twice. I actually found an indy experienced porsche shop nearby for ppi, but again BaT had other plans for me
Originally Posted by Onami
‘This car was for sale in Toronto at Platinum cars for a very long time at a fair price with no sale. I’d guess more than a year. The paint looked very worn in the pics, so much so that I didn’t even go and see it when I was looking.

Listen to @Onami . He's local and he knows these cars, having owned several. It looks like a cool car. The price isn't outrageous and there might be some wiggle room.

This shop--www.rpmvt.com--is not too far from the dealer and I believe they know these cars reasonably well.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:10 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

In a sellers market, the more you request pre-purchase, the more likely a good car will be bought out from under you.
The following 2 users liked this post by crw:
Gbos1 (01-16-2022), INTMD8 (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 07:39 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Braun
As a 993 buyer, what documentation would you accept from seller to avoid removal and inspection of speedometer/odometer?

Given the high likelihood that many 993 speedometer/odometers have failed due to age at this point, not necessarily due to mileage and use, it seems prudent for any serious 993 buyer to request documentation for speedometer/odometer repair and or ask for inspection in the absence thereof. Just my $.02
This narrative about 993 speedo failure started last week w/ that BaT auction. It has NO basis in reality.
911r was kind enough to pull the back of the speedo but to demand that this become a new standard PPI procedure bothers on the absurd.

No, actually, it is absurd!

Am seeing a similar fate to the once long-held assertion that compression/leak down is a reliable insurance against SAI; which has since been thoroughly debunked...
The following 5 users liked this post by mdude:
Blue TTop (01-16-2022), Gbos1 (01-17-2022), jfischet (01-17-2022), L39E (01-17-2022), TheDangerZone (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 08:45 AM
TheDangerZone
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by notfastenough

For those of you who cry about "non bidders" ruining auctions on BaT: You need to stop yelling at the sky. You fail to understand or you're in denial that BaT's life blood is commentary from non-bidders! It's the basis for their business model. How many affluent, qualified buyers on BaT have the technical savvy, experience, and knowledge to personally vet a car? Close to zero. They expect lots of background noise and yammering to help them navigate. And they're smart enough to separate the sheep from the goats.
Actually, I would argue BaT’s lifeblood would be the sellers who want to use the platform to list their sought after cars. Many (most?) prospective sellers don’t want to deal with the fair or unfair scrutiny that cars can be placed upon during an auction. It is especially annoying when so called experts call things into question that have no basis in reality or plant seeds of doubt into possible bidders. I would think long and hard about listing my no stories car there. The auction premium is currently in BaT’s favor and enough sellers are willing to go through the gauntlet, but you’re mistaken if you think commentary is the most important component. It is often a value add, but scare off too many sellers with poor results and the whole model falls apart.
The following 3 users liked this post by TheDangerZone:
autobonrun (01-17-2022), JAB12 (01-17-2022), L39E (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 09:19 AM
notfastenough
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Braun
Frank, I'm one who appreciates any further understanding for what I'm getting into as a 993 buyer...or as a seller for that matter.

As a 993 seller, what documentation do you give to prospective buyer when you repair the speedometer/odometer as you described? Does buyer have to ask you about the repair and request it unsolicited, or do you proved the documentation automatically upon buyer interest and inquiry?

This is response to 'NotFastEnough' Frank Beck post on 01.14.2022
As a seller or a seller's representative we initiate the odometer conversation. Transparency and full disclosure establish trust. A visual inspection and simple documentation for a repair is mandatory. One doesn't have to agree with that practice, but I can assure you if a seller presents optics that he's hiding anything he'll spook many buyers. That would include not granting permission to remove a speedo for inspection. It's such a non-invasive and simple procedure, why not?

Originally Posted by mdude
This narrative about 993 speedo failure started last week w/ that BaT auction. It has NO basis in reality.
911r was kind enough to pull the back of the speedo but to demand that this become a new standard PPI procedure bothers on the absurd.

No, actually, it is absurd!
Started last week? Most competent independents have been doing this for years. Perhaps it's a new revelation on BaT. Amazing to me that you can type out "NO basis in reality." lol. When breakage of a particular critical component is the rule rather than exception that's as real as it gets. Again, why are you throwing a tantrum just because a buyer wants to know IF an odo has been fixed and the quality of the repair? Complain all you want; with the huge prices of these cars it's real, it's been real for a while, and it's here to stay. However... (and please grasp this!) at the end of the day as long as the paper trail and documentation are sound I would never walk away from a great car just because I couldn't inspect the speedo. A bad bezel re-crimping job can always be fixed later.

The following users liked this post:
Braun (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 09:25 AM
notfastenough
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheDangerZone
Actually, I would argue BaT’s lifeblood would be the sellers who want to use the platform to list their sought after cars. Many (most?) prospective sellers don’t want to deal with the fair or unfair scrutiny that cars can be placed upon during an auction. It is especially annoying when so called experts call things into question that have no basis in reality or plant seeds of doubt into possible bidders. I would think long and hard about listing my no stories car there. The auction premium is currently in BaT’s favor and enough sellers are willing to go through the gauntlet, but you’re mistaken if you think commentary is the most important component. It is often a value add, but scare off too many sellers with poor results and the whole model falls apart.
I certainly can't argue that sellers aren't important. lol.

I totally agree with your "gauntlet" comment. It can be grueling and it's certainly not for the faint of heart or the thin-skinned. I do find it puzzling that no one seems to have a problem with all the adoring fan boys swooning over a car with ridiculous, non-productive praise but professional, critical analysis is somehow a bridge too far.
bobbyp (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 09:38 AM
notfastenough
Rennlist Member

BTW: I found the black C2S (Silver Arrow Cars) and silver C2S (Avant Garde) on BaT to be fascinating case studies!

Both sellers have wonderful reputations but scripted the less-than-spectacular results simply because they didn't dot their I's and cross their T's. They both missed crucial problems and when exposed by knowledgeable commenters lost ground. It proves that even the best sellers can't overcome negative momentum. This was their fault; no one else's.
bobbyp (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 10:14 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDangerZone
I’d argue the flip side of this. It is the intense scrutiny that gives buyers confidence. It is that confidence that has created the BAT premium. It is that premium that attracts sellers. You don’t get one without the other. See pcar for example.

I’ve sold on bat and I welcome the scrutiny. As a seller I want a fair deal for both parties and I would never want to give the impression that I’m trying to hide anything material. That’s what makes the BAT model work.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tlaloc75:
bobbyp (01-17-2022), notfastenough (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 11:02 AM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 361 Posts

I have been 993-less for about 7 months now so hardly come into this thread, but let me address a few previous comments from a personal experience position:

1.- Anyone interested in a car within 30 miles from my zip code (33139) I am happy to go and check it out for you, as per what @HelpMeHelpU mentioned.
2.- The old 4 v 2 or 4S v 2S argument is like the chicken and egg argument. Who came first? I can add from having owned both a C4S and a C2S at the same time for multiple years and a few thousand miles properly driven on each car that unequivocally I will take the 4S over the 2S, it is more of a car. The C2S others have posted, it is more beautiful to look at, twin grille etc., but it is nothing more than a C2 with a wider body. No factory upgrades whatsoever. If I were to get back into the 993 itch, my first call would be to the current owner of my former C4S.
3.- RE: BAT. mixed reviews here. The most benefit is the exposure for sellers and the superlow listing fee, however, there are a few BAT commenters in there that have never bid or bought a car on the platform, that all they do is be keyboard warriors and attempt to be 'scholar experts' on these cars. All they achieve is create doubt on potential bidders of a certain ilk. I've only sold a Mercedes AMG bumper on BAT and even that got scorched scrutiny by non bidders. Pair that with the Pcar market fiasco of my C2S and I will remain on the old school way of selling cars any time I decide to thin out the herd again. As a side note, BAT offered a reserve for my C2S which was $40K less than what she sold for. So that was a hard pass from day 1.

Good luck all!
The following 2 users liked this post by JAB12:
autobonrun (01-17-2022), HelpMeHelpU (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 12:55 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Oh boy you seem to have inadvertently made the case for the C2S ""The C2S others have posted, it is more beautiful to look at, twin grille etc., but it is nothing more than a C2 with a wider body." But I love them all. Except for a rare few.
JAB12 (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 01:29 PM
Clark W Griswold
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Oh boy you seem to have inadvertently made the case for the C2S ""The C2S others have posted, it is more beautiful to look at, twin grille etc., but it is nothing more than a C2 with a wider body." But I love them all. Except for a rare few.

haha was thinking the same thing. “Factory upgrades” like suspension are a non starter in 2022. Big brakes and awd at the cost of added weight are not really compelling. And the market seems to agree.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:35 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 361 Posts

^^^^^ Adding to this. My 2022 992 is a 4S (car on my avatar) By the numbers it is faster than the 992 2S and you can offset the weight by spec'ing light weight glass and sunroof delete and manual transmission which is lighter than the PDK. All 3 options are present on this car. So technically she is lighter than your average 992 C2S. But then again, this is a 993 thread, so I digress. Best to all.

Last edited by JAB12; 01-17-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:06 PM
Clark W Griswold
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Did you just say a 992 is lighter than a 993 C2S?

edit: nvm you said 992. Yea totally irrelevant. Lightweight glass etc are not 993 options. Also I kinda doubt lightweight glass and a manual transmission are making up the weight difference of a awd system in a 992 but I also have no idea and we will assume you are correct.

Last edited by Clark W Griswold; 01-17-2022 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 993 WB Values are UP!!!