Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 01:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Quite a treat this am, to see/hear it fire for the first time in many years! A major milestone.....
Old 02-17-2023, 05:18 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 728 Likes on 245 Posts

yesterday was the ignition day, here there is the video

View this post on Instagram

with the engine starting immediately after not even a 1/4 of a crankshaft turn, we noticed that with the wheels off the ground the gearbox makes a rather strong mechanical noise, like mechanical rattling, that disappear while pressing the clutch, I wonder if it depends some way from the configuration with single mass flywheel (genuine porsche) and from the type of clutch.
I remember reading here on the forum, but maybe I remember not correctly, that there are two different types of sachs clutch to be coupled to the single mass flywheel of the 993 RS Clubsport, one that produces a lot of noise, the other not, am I just deluding myself?
The other curious aspect is that the gearbox was sold to me as if it were with a limited slip differential, but with the wheels raised and the gear engaged, only one wheel turned, while the other remained stationary: also this aspect is going to be verified, and luckily while searching for parts, couple years ago I bought an overhauled Porsche 993 LSD that I thought it was unnecessary after the purchase of the gearbox with a LSD already in it, but now it happens to be useful.
Then once the car was grounded, the steering sometimes locked itself in the position it was in, only after a moment to then unlock, perhaps having kept the hydraulic caps of the steering box closed creates problems with the movement because of some internal pressure?
Anyway I understood that already with the 17 wheels the steering is too hard for normal use, and we have already decided to put the electric power assistance as it was on the 993 RSR.

The engine is running in such a silly smooth but also tight way, that moves me even today, if I think about it.
The rattling coming from the gearbox is really disturbing, maybe it's because it's Motorsport, but I don't remember the single mass flywheel of the G models making such a broken-alike noiose, I don't think it's normal.
And the ABS is not working, in the following days they will check the electrical part, because it gives a fault from the first key turn.

Ideas? Advices?

Then, last, but not least, there is the modification for the Clima control unit removal, that allow the oil cooler fan to work normally, is there a tutorial on how to do that?

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 02-17-2023 at 05:38 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
AMJ0000 (02-27-2023), AX993 (02-17-2023), jfischet (02-17-2023), Kein_Ersatz (02-18-2023), kingroon (02-17-2023), PRSWILL (02-17-2023), ShdwFx (02-17-2023), SpeedyC2 (02-17-2023), Steve Theodore (02-19-2023), YoCole (02-17-2023) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-17-2023, 06:41 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd say the rattle from the cluth when in neutral/idle is just fine. It sounds even more when everything warms up!
The following 4 users liked this post by ThomasC2:
jfischet (02-17-2023), Kein_Ersatz (02-18-2023), nothingbutgt3 (02-17-2023), PAOLOP (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 10:15 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

When I had my dual mass removed, RS flywheel + clutch installed, Plus firmer/solid transmission mounts; it sounded like a coffee can full of nuts and bolts being shaken up.. I honestly thought something was wrong with the car.. I went back to Hegeshheimer and he told me everything was the way it should be.. Mark said when they unloaded some of the Carrera RS's & GT3's in Long Beach, it sounded like all of their transmissions were going to grenade (boom!) ... Just the way it sounds ...
The following 3 users liked this post by Coleman:
jfischet (02-17-2023), Kein_Ersatz (02-18-2023), nothingbutgt3 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 10:24 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
I'd say the rattle from the cluth when in neutral/idle is just fine. It sounds even more when everything warms up!
The green semisolid gearbox mount probably makes the noise of gears with breaking teeths possibly far more effective (and frightening).
I have also a brand new 993 RS gearbox mount, though eventually I could give the Hulk-alike mount a try, eventually by introducing a slightly softer rubber insert?

At the Porsche Workshop they told me it is the normal sound and the semisolid gearbox mount doesn't simplify, but amplifies the effect through transferring the sound to the chassis...honestly I dont think it is like that, but we will see, the car was started yesterday, first roll on her wheel as well, the next 3/4 weeks will clear everything.

For sure I'll need a tutorial for the mod related to the oil cooler fan speed, that normally is managed by the air con contro unit.

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 02-17-2023 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:12 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleman
When I had my dual mass removed, RS flywheel + clutch installed, Plus firmer/solid transmission mounts; it sounded like a coffee can full of nuts and bolts being shaken up.. I honestly thought something was wrong with the car.. I went back to Hegeshheimer and he told me everything was the way it should be.. Mark said when they unloaded some of the Carrera RS's & GT3's in Long Beach, it sounded like all of their transmissions were going to grenade (boom!) ... Just the way it sounds ...
when i first heard it i thought the same thing. like bolts rattling around in a 5 gallon plastic bucket.

my mechanic needed to reassure me it's fine. noise stops when clutch is depressed.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:41 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 253 Posts

Yay, I can finally contribute to this thread! . I had similar issues and it was solved (or improved greatly) by using Mobil 1 tranny fluid vs some expensive other fluid that was originally used. Please check which fluid you are using. Incredible how much this improved the noise. I have RS LWF, Guard gears, RS motor and tranny mounts and I've got the rattling under control.

Congratulations on your huge milestone today. !!
The following 2 users liked this post by os993:
Kein_Ersatz (02-18-2023), nothingbutgt3 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 09:35 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

It's ALIVE !!!!!!!!

Well done, great success ...

As said above, the rattling noise is due to the light weight flywheel and the gear teeth slapping together. Not to worry, that's normal. You could try different gear oil. On my E39 BMW M5, with a LWF and clutch assembly from UUC, they suggested adding some automatic transmission fluid to the gear oil. I don't remember the ratio, but it did cut the noise down some.
Old 02-18-2023, 09:57 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 135 Posts

This is a very special car.
Kudos for given it a re-birth...
I follow u on IG. It is fun to watch
Good luck wit the rest of the project, next step: driving driving driving 🍻
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutgt3 (02-22-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 10:17 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Little update and help request

Driving Limoncella on a closed parking place was a true emotion, and it was also very helpful to realise a few things to be fixed/adjusted: the hydraulic steering wheel assistance removal makes the steering wheel heavy to operate, so we decided to get the electric steering pump installed in the front frunk. Being the shop a Porsche Motorsport one, they are pretty familiar with such a thing.
Then the LSD has very little operating effectiveness, and we decided to change it with one I found along my 4 years parts research: at the shop they will check the preload and install it

The ABS is giving a message of error and it is not working, they will run a diagnosys about that: I don't know what to expect, let's wait for the diagnosis results.

I was also looking for the mod to be applied to the 993s that get the Climate Control Unit removed: I remember I saw the mod somewhere here in order to operate the 2 speed oil cooler fan without the CCU. It would also be nice having the outside temperature showed on the display inside the rev counter.

But what can I say, the first engine start in the end went much better than expected: there could have been many unpredictable unexpected multiple potential issues, especially regarding the motronic control unit I bought used in germany a couple years ago or the alarm control unit and its remote, as well as the instruments.
Instead, everything worked perfectly and the engine started right away.

A truly unforgettable moment.
The following 5 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
imdvs (02-27-2023), jfischet (02-27-2023), LimeyBoy (02-27-2023), SpeedyC2 (02-28-2023), Steve Theodore (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 12:54 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 308 Posts

Been watching this from the beginning- and I'm coming to Italy in September- Tuscany area. I'd love to see this in person if possible! Incredible story- awesome results so far.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:06 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
Been watching this from the beginning- and I'm coming to Italy in September- Tuscany area. I'd love to see this in person if possible! Incredible story- awesome results so far.
if you go take a ton of pics for us!
Old 02-27-2023, 01:30 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Paolo, I was getting ABS errors from time to time a few years ago. I bought a Bosch Hammer to bleed the ABD pump, and that seems to have fixed it. I'm not sure if yours has the ABD option, but if it does, something to look at. Of course, with a build from the ground up like yours, it could be something else.
Old 02-27-2023, 05:12 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by jfischet
if you go take a ton of pics for us!
We're going- that's booked. Seeing Paulo's car- that's what we need to work out!
The following 3 users liked this post by PRSWILL:
jfischet (02-27-2023), nothingbutgt3 (03-01-2023), SpeedyC2 (02-28-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 05:04 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Paolo, I was getting ABS errors from time to time a few years ago. I bought a Bosch Hammer to bleed the ABD pump, and that seems to have fixed it. I'm not sure if yours has the ABD option, but if it does, something to look at. Of course, with a build from the ground up like yours, it could be something else.
Thank you Ed, yes, the whole braking system has been filled at the same time, so the eventuality some air bubbles are still inside some of its components is the most probable thing to check: what is a Bosch Hammer to bleed the ABD pump?
Yes, the car has option Code 220, being a carrera 2WD, she is equipped with the 4 channels ABS/ABD system, but without the hydraulic booster (the booster is just the vacuum one).

PRSWILL
You all are welcome petrolhead comrades, please tell me with some advance to see what we can organise: this summer is the debut time, I wanted to see if I could get in touch with some media reality that could be interested in presenting Limoncella to you all, so to share it the largest possible way.
I tried contacting the BBC (Top Gear), Jay Leno, Donald Osborne, and of course Porsche Italia, maybe I don't have the right emails, since I didn't get any answer back so far.

It is a non-profit project, the message within the existance of this amazing Lemon Yellow (or summer yellow) 993 in my opinion is positive since it shows - giving the evidence of it - that we all, objects, human beings, trees, stones, everything can have the strength and the resilience to overcome the hardest situations, given most of the times by ourselves before than by others for desperate and insurmountable.

So much that the final result in this case becomes far-fetched and you don't even believe it's the same car.
Many people I know tell me now about the value of the car in terms of money, they are more or less the same that were smiling in my face in a very disrespectful way 5 years ago (I don't think this is a coincidence AT ALL): for me the value of this car is indefinable in economic terms. This makes me think that maybe I have some wheels out of place in my head, but then I think that if everyone had the same wheels, it would be deadly boring, don't you think too?!

It would be nice if the message, conveyed through the excuse of a 993 put back on the road by this Porsche 993 enthusiast, improvised out of love (and perhaps also out of desperation, the two things perhaps too often go together) car restorer for the first time in his life, could reach as far as possible in the world, not to give hope - because the ditches are full of hope - but to show that there is the EVIDENCE of an effective possibility of radically changing one's own and other people's destiny, for the better.

Reading myself again, I think it is a tearful message, not just vaguely hippie, because the "old" me is still inside me and comments on what he sees, as evidently my "new" me was already part of me when I met this wreck along the way and didn't make me hesitate more than 0.1 seconds to say yes.
I don't thank or condemn anyone for this, it just happened: I don't think I'm a better person in terms of qualities or defects than 5 years ago, I simply found a way to express a part of me that was dormant, hidden underneath the ash, a part that I knew was there and that I knew was important, but which evidently needed an external event to awaken and activate.
I really care about the presentation of this car, or rather that the message inherent in its very existence reaches the widest possible public.

I certainly have a long list of people I would like to meet in person, because they have shown closeness, humanity, intelligence, even emotional, which makes me wonder what a beautiful evening we could spend in front of a bottle of good red and a nice Chianina.
Then you know, similar occasions, the more they count and are important, the more fleeting they are, but they continue to live in our memories.

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 03-01-2023 at 05:08 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
imdvs (03-01-2023), jfischet (03-01-2023), Kein_Ersatz (03-02-2023), ShdwFx (03-01-2023), SpeedyC2 (03-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute