Sponsored by:

Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 09:13 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 728 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
The new type of Bosch Timer plug/socket is an improvement on the earlier version as it has a better water seal. I am going to recommend that you change the female plugs on your wiring harness and update them to the newer type as it is a very easy job with the right tool.The reason I suggest to do it this way is that the knock and rpm sensors have integral plugs with shielded, multicore cable which is difficult to reconnect to factory standards.

There are three colours of plug: black for RPM sensor, white for Cylinder Head Temperature sensor and green for Knock Sensor. All three colours are available from Bosch, I have them at work and will dig out the part numbers tomorrow. If you cannot buy them locally I can send you them. I will also show you the special tool that is used to "uncatch" the terminals from the old plug, it really only takes seconds with the right tool.

Keep up the great work!
Thank you very much Colin for this technical feedback.

A little but significant update for future memory (since these harnesses are no longer available at Porsche):
the engine harness for the M64.21 engine has a few cables slightly longer than the one of the M64.05 engine, and specifically the cable that is supposed to run on the right side of the varioram intake to join the right bank male plug of the right bank knock sensor is 45cm longer than the one of the M64.05 engine DME- harness.
Since the DME-engine harness is already installed on the car, since the plugs are not just crimped, but soldered, together with the artisan who did the engine harness, we decided to prepare 4 extensions, which on one side have the males to be plugged to the old-style JPT females already welded on the engine harness, while on the other side there will be the females, also welded, but the ones with a rounded shape so as to be able to mate the male plugs coming with the knock sensors, the rpm sensor and the cyl.head sensor.
All the rest is fine so as it is (old and original style), lambda sensor plug included.

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 01-25-2023 at 09:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kingroon (01-25-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 03:35 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

Glad you are sorted, that's all that matters.

On a general note, if you use crimp terminals and the correct crimp tool you should not need to solder the wire as well. How true it is I'm not sure, but I was told that crimp terminals were developed by Nasa for the Apollo program to reduce the likelihood of wires breaking off at the end of the soldered joint. Apparently the heat of soldering can cause tempering of the drawn copper wire and induce a stress point that is prone to breakage when the wire flexes.

When I'm making Motec or Motronic wiring harnesses the only soldered joints are nodes (e.g. where I take of 6 smaller wires from the power feed wire to the injectors, or similar sensor 0v joints) and in this case I secure the wires together with a generous length of adhesive lined heat shrink.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:07 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Glad you are sorted, that's all that matters.

On a general note, if you use crimp terminals and the correct crimp tool you should not need to solder the wire as well. How true it is I'm not sure, but I was told that crimp terminals were developed by Nasa for the Apollo program to reduce the likelihood of wires breaking off at the end of the soldered joint. Apparently the heat of soldering can cause tempering of the drawn copper wire and induce a stress point that is prone to breakage when the wire flexes.

When I'm making Motec or Motronic wiring harnesses the only soldered joints are nodes (e.g. where I take of 6 smaller wires from the power feed wire to the injectors, or similar sensor 0v joints) and in this case I secure the wires together with a generous length of adhesive lined heat shrink.
The craftman who prepared the Engine Harness, using as starting base the floated M64.05 engine harness, has a very consistent experience thourghout a very large kind of wiring loom and engine harnesses, reproducing everything Porsche related from 356 until 3.2 carrera, and also 928, but this was the first time he was asked to reproduced a 993 harness, probably because the 993 model type has still to accuse aging problems, electrically related, being a sunk one a total exception.
But in all his applications, though crimping is quicker and as much effective as soldering in the electrical reliability, it is the durability what he says is very different, since the soldering completely avoid oxidation next to the plug connector of the little copper wires from which the single wire is composed, oxidation that brings the cable to create resistive effects that lead the sensor to send bad readings, though it is not the sensor fault.
he is also very much into Mercedes Benz, Lancia, Alfa Romeo classic cars, let's say the 993 cable was totally new because he never did one before, but he told me there wasn't anything really different compared to the middle 80ies Porsche harness he did.

He wasn't able to source the original 55 pin plug, but he had to source one 55 pin with the single wires coming from the opposite side of the plug, and also IIRC the 14 big poles plug (stecker) he had to get it 3d printed.
The other plugs are still all available, only he couldn't source the dark green colored ones for the knock sensors and the white plug of the cyl.head temp sensor, so these are black and lebeled next to the plug with a number.
All the wires are shielded.

To solve the issue of the plugs we agreed in making 10cm extensions, that on the engine harness side have a jpt 964/993 male plug, and on the sensor side the 996 female plug, all soldered and with shielded wires.
This for coupling the sensors without touching them at all, since they are so poorly manufactured that touching them is to him something not advisable, in order to get to a quality result.
This way, in case I could find the original sensors, or if in the future Bosch or some reality decides to reproduce sensors shaped the original way, all I have to do is removing the poorly shaped sensors and the related extensions.
I believe you the newer sensors have better sealing properties /qualities in their plugs, it is all the rest that sucks.
Basically there is going to be only one plug more and only for the 4 sensors involved in this 4 sensors issue (and for a reasonably short time)
As you already know, my intention to give this very bright Lemon Yellow 993 a compleately revised and optimised Aircooled engine is already on the list, let's see if luck will help or not, but not by modifying its original engine, that is going to be a fully original and 0 km M64.05 in its cold mechanic, with the add of the Varioram intake system.
And in the case of a new engine apllication, the electrical management of the engine is going to have its own dedicated engine harness, in order to take it to a 100% electronic management.
Of this engine I have only the 997 GT3 crankshaft, the GT3 oil pump and the 959 intermediate shaft and coupled gears so far.

Now it's not the time to think about it, I have to concentrate on the engine that is going to bed fired up the end of the next week at the very least.

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 01-27-2023 at 05:16 AM.
SpeedyC2 (02-02-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 09:46 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Just a thought... when you have the front and rear glass installed, there are alignment shims that should/must be used to properly align the glass to the car recess. When my car was getting new glass, I did not know about this and neither did the glass installer. My rear glass moved lower and the outside rubber gasket does not sit right.

Best Wishes!!!!
nothingbutgt3 (01-30-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 06:31 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Almost there...
The following 9 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
dalves11 (02-02-2023), Fracture (02-03-2023), Grapeape (02-02-2023), imdvs (02-02-2023), jfischet (02-02-2023), kingroon (02-02-2023), kos11-12 (02-15-2023), max911 (02-13-2023), SpeedyC2 (02-02-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-02-2023, 11:34 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Lots of progress!
Old 02-02-2023, 02:50 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

It all looks fantastic, and surely you are getting very excited to complete the Limoncella Projekt !

Are those helper springs I am seeing on your coil overs? Would you mind telling me the spring rates you have chosen for the main and helper springs?
Old 02-02-2023, 02:54 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
It all looks fantastic, and surely you are getting very excited to complete the Limoncella Projekt !

Are those helper springs I am seeing on your coil overs? Would you mind telling me the spring rates you have chosen for the main and helper springs?
Everything has been deliberated by MCS, if you want I can ask Wyatt, hopefully he is going to answer me: the suspensions you see are the 3 ways adj. with shorter strut.
They tailored the suspensions for the application, being aware of the final curb weight apporximately between 1050 and 1080 kg.

Maybe I manage to read the springs and helper springs specs when I get close to the car the next week for the engine firing up.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:00 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3
Everything has been deliberated by MCS, if you want I can ask Wyatt, hopefully he is going to answer me: the suspensions you see are the 3 ways adj. with shorter strut.
They tailored the suspensions for the application, being aware of the final curb weight apporximately between 1050 and 1080 kg.

Maybe I manage to read the springs and helper springs specs when I get close to the car the next week for the engine firing up.
I had not remembered the curb weight would be so light! Knowing the springs rates would therefore likely not be applicable to my "regular" weight 993. Thank you for offering to check, but I think there is no need.

Last edited by SpeedyC2; 02-02-2023 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-13-2023, 01:41 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

The following 7 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
Ed Hughes (02-14-2023), jfischet (02-13-2023), Kein_Ersatz (02-15-2023), LimeyBoy (02-14-2023), SpeedyC2 (02-14-2023), Steve Theodore (02-19-2023), TheFatArmadillo (02-13-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-13-2023, 07:18 PM
ginch
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

Unbelievable progress sir! What a labor of love! I cannot fathom the amount of money that has been injected into this project! I'm guessing you don't want to add up the receipts!
Old 02-13-2023, 09:22 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by ginch
Unbelievable progress sir! What a labor of love! I cannot fathom the amount of money that has been injected into this project! I'm guessing you don't want to add up the receipts!
this restoration could easily be made into a netflix mini-series to pay for all the work.
kingroon (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 04:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

A "brand new" motor!!
nothingbutgt3 (02-14-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 04:51 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
A "brand new" motor!!
Better than new, in some points 👍

The cold mechanic has been 100% rebuilt to original specs, piston mantel has been graphited, then there is the single pulley from Rothsport, the flange for engine without A/C, the single mass flywheel balanced with pressure plate and crankshaft, the Varioram intake upgrade compleately opened, checked, sealed, its original Control Unit, the RSR alike mufflers rebuilt as bran new ones and with a higher flow, and last but not least the HJS Motorsport high-flow 100 cells cat inserts.
With the right engine map I dont know how much to expect from such a layout, maybe optimistically talking is it reasonable 290/295hp?
what really makes me happy, so much that I don't even believe it, is that the gearbox is the G50.21.2 I wanted to give her, since she had it from the very beginningthat type of gearbox.
Step by step I will discover her driving qualities, and what is expectable from such a miraculously super well survifed 993, weighing more or less 1050kg, with the set up of a very modern upgraded 993 CUP set up.

But for the moment, I wanted to inform the precious like gold rennlist community that tomorrow 🤞 is engine the day of engine start up, I will very probably document it in the most genuine way, making a direct on Instagram.
The following 9 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
ALRandall (02-15-2023), Ed Hughes (02-15-2023), imdvs (02-15-2023), Kein_Ersatz (02-15-2023), kingroon (02-15-2023), kos11-12 (02-15-2023), LimeyBoy (02-16-2023), Patrik S (02-15-2023), Steve Theodore (02-19-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-16-2023, 09:28 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

Paolo- are you thinking of running stock cams or are you installing RS cams? I'm sure RS cams would sounds glorious through your new exhaust- there is quite a dramatic difference between the two (and other iterations of aggressive lobes-) especially in the idle where it has that loping muscle car sound...

Coleman-

Quick Reply: Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute