Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 02:37 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 728 Likes on 245 Posts

I have no idea what that black thing is. Is it just a tube or is there a wire in it? Where does the other end go in the engine compartment?
It is just a tube, and I have no idea where it must go in the engine bay, but I will take a picture to be sure not to take a thing for another one.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:13 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

It looks to me like the rest of the vacuum tubes found on the engine.

I'm likely wrong here, but I thought I had read somewhere there a is vacuum tube which runs from the engine bay to the front of the car (maybe on early models) to operate a part of the HVAC system?
Old 12-11-2022, 05:29 AM
Jonny Retrofit
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The tube is the vacuum for the solenoid that opens the internal recirculation flaps on the suitcase (under the dash).

Check the inlet flaps on the back of your suitcase - early 993's (1995) did not have the vacuum operated flaps. Later ones have a round actuator riveted onto the flaps.
Old 12-11-2022, 05:49 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jonny Retrofit
The tube is the vacuum for the solenoid that opens the internal recirculation flaps on the suitcase (under the dash).

Check the inlet flaps on the back of your suitcase - early 993's (1995) did not have the vacuum operated flaps. Later ones have a round actuator riveted onto the flaps.
Thank you Jonny,
So being Limoncella a 993 without A/C and without heating system that black tube is irrelevant, right?
Old 12-19-2022, 01:15 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

View this post on Instagram

The electrical system worked at first turn of the key!!! Limoncella now is waiting for the marriage at the Autorlando Porsche Shop in Bergamo, Lombardia - Italy, and she also will be set up to her final specs, with MCS 3 ways adj. tailor made suspensions, RS sways, front teflon lined A-arms inserts, rear monoball arms and RS A-Arms, plus, but I still have to get these, some good monoball drop links.
At the same time the rubber silent block of the gearbox housing is going to be removed and changed for the semisolid froggy green Rothsport gearbox mount.

I can't literally wait to see her down low, only 10mm from the standard 993 CUP set up, properly aligned, and to listen to her original engine roaring - I'm back!

All Instruments seem to be perfectly working, even the board computer!!!

isn't she lovely?

because some use to call the 993 carrera slim...

P.S. The single seat (driver seat) configuration looks very sexy...

P.S. 2 I already know there will be still a lot to do even afterwords the Porsche shop will have its job done: all the electrical stuff such as headlights, turning lights, the center console buttons and smaller electrical things, but yet important, such as the way to configure the vent of the oil cooler to start up even if the car is without the A/C control unit, and maybe find a way to give the board computer the air temperature info, plus some other things that I am quite sure will take also a lot of time to get done properly.
The following 9 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
ALRandall (12-20-2022), ch3tman (12-20-2022), imdvs (12-20-2022), Kein_Ersatz (12-20-2022), kingroon (12-19-2022), serval (01-25-2023), SpeedyC2 (12-19-2022), Steve Theodore (12-25-2022), Tarek307 (03-24-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-19-2022, 01:49 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

so cool! congrats on the progress!
Old 12-25-2022, 07:35 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Good morning to you all RLers from all around the Porsche World,

4 long years has passed since exactly this day I improvised this thread, sharing the project while evidently also seeking for help and support.
I couldn't expect both the facts described and the implicit S.O.S. request might ever find such a large active participation here on RL and moreover in general any time the story hit some true petrolhead.
I know this is a world of "prima donnas", so often it's a matter of my beep is longer than yours....my polar silver is more shiny than yours...my 911 has better specs than yours...etc. etc. and there is also a moltitude of skeptical very Porsche enthusiast and experts who didn't help at all, you'd be surprised how many they are, because of their reasons, I don't care, there are traits in human personality that were shaped far before becoming a Porsche enthusiast, eventually even before coming to life, being written in their DNA, such as distrust of others, insecurity, various fears of being used, indifference, narcisism, cognitive disabilities, jealousy, just to name a few, or also not time availability, which also works as a very nice excuse, because not having time across 4 years...is largely laughably.

I don't feel like wishing these people anything other than learning to live as peacefully as possible with these limitations to their natural positive expression of self, limitations of which they are not guilty, but victims, and I am sure not only for them, but for the world it would a great benefit if they were able to be, let's say, less affected, or perhaps not at all, by these forces that do not allow them to fully express their potential.

There is one way only in which our person can find himself and express it with naturally rechargeable power and energy and that is the way of love.

I am glad, because thanks to this thread and the project I discovered touching it with my own hands as St.Thomas did, what the media and the society, probably not by mistake, are trying to mistify and convince us all of, i.e. that people are all made the way above, that we can count only on ourselves (which thing is true if related to the motivations, the driver within us) we are living in a world guided by the law "Homo, homini lupus"

No, my dear propaganda, it is not, it is not, it is not: or, eventually it is, if you mean the Lupo (wolf) to be the wolf that SAVES you when you got lost in the forest, a wolf that feeds, that protects you, etc.

There are more than requested, to be honest, of such good, positive, empathetic wolves.

With some of them I am sure it has started a friendship, though being italian, hence unused to distance/virtual friendships, I am still the old fashion prehistoric type of person that needs the presence to establish something 100% true and real, nevertheless I am sure few true friendships began.

So, what I've been trying to say, in my looong English (only because I don't know the shortcut expressions in your language), is: let's stay positive, if we are already, and let's possibly take inspiration only from positive examples, if we have some bad feelings working down deep of ourselves, because nothing good ever came from down there.

Merry Christmas to you all RLers fella (si dice così o non è appropriato?!)

AND...
since I gladly sit still
since I don't love this car at all
since I absolutely don't want to involve all those who have supported and followed me from the beginning or shortly after the start or who even arrived 5 seconds ago, it does not matter
since celebrating isn't a good idea at ALL
since I would like Limoncella to debut multiple time and to be driven even from the drivers of electrical vehicles...

I know most of you know the great honor the PCA Porsche Panorama Magazine recognised to Limoncella, by deciding to put her on its Cover and make of her the main article of Issue #773 (August 2021).
Talking with their editorial stuff back on september 2021 and thanking them for such an amazing (and unexpected and so very crazy appreciated) recognisement, I also told them that once Limoncella would have been completed (though it's going to be for longer kind of a work in progress- kind of aboratory car, in my vision, let's see if that happens - let's say completed in her first release, but not a beta test), if they wanted it would be a pleasure giving them the exclusive of the car presentation, worldwide, as they already did for a bare Lemon Yellow Shell.
Few days ago I sent them an email to renovate this offer/promise, let's see if the Christmas time brings good news within, because problem is, if they will not be willing to do it, which is always possible, maybe they could decide at least toparticipate with the magazine and help me find out the good solutions/reality that can make of it a good thing, otherwise if none of the above happens, I will have to find an equally valid way/channel, maybe the right word is "platform" in the field, to make it for real.

This is making me very nervous, because on one side, and this is a super good news, we should see and hear her engine running, her brake braking, her oil circuit 100% working, her wheels and traction working maximum by the end of January 2023...which thing is crazy amazing if I stop for a while and think about it, I can't believe it's really happening, even more special considering she ended her previous life falling in the swollen river back on January 2014.
Then 2-3 months and the coachbuilder must end its work and the car will be complete, only missing thing being the 18" wheels homologation, that Porsche Italia refused (it'snot true Porsche didn't help at all, they went further, by creating new problems, very nice to meet you, welcome, Porsche), I don't know why, I will try again passing from the official network that could confirm now that all the subframes are from m.y. 96 (or later model years), let's stay positive, maybe some god such as Thor hits them on their helmet - sorry, no, I wanted to say on their big head...but please be gentle, it's Christmas 😇

What I wanted to say is, the car in my personal view must remain unrevealed until the very first presentation: I would like it to go the right way, it happens once (or let's say, it's supposed to happen once), but it's going to be the first time the Phoenix is coming back to life, like a Revenant, she deserves something special, for me, for all the people who worked on her, participated, helped, for her and for all of you who are following and watching the project.

I was considering - and I already reserved the day, because with the locations where weddings are celebrated it works like that - to celebrate the Limoncella come back from afterlife, to a brand new Life the 1st of July 2023, which is a Saturday, it's full summer, the season in italy should be stable but same time not that hot and umid as it is by the end of July and all August, located in the North of Italy, not far from Venice, easily reachable by plane and/or by car from most of the european countries, the location having place for 140 car spots over a beautiful soft green grass field next to the XVI century Villa, so that the invited people can arrive by driving their cars, if desired.
And the location would be close (just 90 minutes of highway) to the Porsche Drive Experience Franciacorta Circuit, but do you think Porsche will awake itself making Limoncella participate to some kind of event where to make a comparison between newer and older models? 🫢

Why the 1st of July? Because most of you are from the USA, most of helping people and manufacturers who helped actively are from the USA and I don't forget who helped, I more inclined to forget who didn't.
being the 4th of July the independence day over there, supposedly holiday a Tuesday, I was thinking who wanted to participate, had more leverage throughout his/her family, let's say the excuse to make kind of a short holiday and also participate to the presentation, with nice possibility of tourism in Venice, Padova, Verona.

Why the 1st of July? Because I don't want to leave the car under a blanket after so long time she isn't be around on open roads, but if I have to choose between making her be spotted and preserve, I would choose the second...and so it would be better earlier, though everyone is telling me that to organise such a thing 6 months are a short period.
I think a platform who deals with the Car argument, with the location already deliberated, it isn't much, but it isn't less, the point is if there is a reality of the field that is good and interested for the thing.

Porsche should have always been the first of the list
The Panorama Magazine maybe could involve Porsche.
I already got informations about hospitality in hotels, location, food and beverage, all of that could be dealed with by the Manager of the location, the missing things from the missing partner are all related to the presentation , the sponsors and the technical stuff for the presentation, such as logistic, joirnalists, lights, etc. and whatever it takes within.

I don't think that moving to Italy, and in such a location, for a long week end, would ever be a bad idea.

Some journalist told me of contacting well known figures such as Jay Leno, Donald Osborne or Jeremy Clarkson.
Top Gear of the BBC, the old Top Gear, would have been perfect, I really liked their sense of humour, and for Mr.Clarkson this could represent his possibility of redemption, since he never hid to be hating the 911...

I am sharing these info here, maybe some of you have access to people/channels that for me are unreachable, I don't even know how to reach out to the people I mentioned above, as most of things that have been achieved in this project, I have no problem saying it, they have been achieve with solely hard work, determination, no help, no shortcuts, nothing.

Which thing is nothing different than what a normal person is used to face on a daily base: the dreaming part is inside of us, it is not related to the fake things they try bring us to desire.

This car will come back to life much more beautiful and effective than ever, perhaps also because Porsche stood by and watched, waiting for the project possibly to fail.

And by the way, for someone else to get possession of this specific car, he/she has to steal it, since there is only this one in the world.

It would be interesting making a list of the cars that came back on the road, with their own engine block, crankshaft, cyl heads and valves, after having remain submerged for more than 1 month in the water, from each car manufacturer, still on her own original chassis (only exterior panels have been changed).

You think the Ferrari 250 GTO has been produced in few numbers: it's true, this is a unicum. Do you get the reason why this project is so divisive? it's like a test, are you going to jab, or not? are you going to discriminate who chose other way than you, or not? are you going to envy, or not?

This is really going to move magmatic forces, also very negative ones, within people watching this, I am aware of it.

Like in an algorithm, the condition "If...then.." brings you back to the beginning of this long letter and Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas from the Limoncella Original Engine, ready for installation.

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 12-27-2022 at 08:28 AM.
The following 13 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
908/3fan (03-21-2023), Bushbaby (12-25-2022), Clubber (01-27-2023), Ed Hughes (12-25-2022), fnckr (12-25-2022), imdvs (12-25-2022), jwong1977 (01-12-2023), kos11-12 (01-17-2023), mr_bock (01-08-2023), rs911porsche (12-25-2022), serval (01-25-2023), SpeedyC2 (12-28-2022), Steve Theodore (12-25-2022) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-08-2023, 07:09 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

It took me more than 2 years finding the reality who could satisfy the compromiseless expectations of the @porsche no longer available DME-Motronic Engine Harness 1:1 reproduction, and what a surprise, in the end I could find it in Italy thanks to the word of mouth (the same happened for the G50.21 gearbox)

Some minor no-longer available things were quite complicated, such as the 14 pole plug, that was 3D-printed

Also the knock sensors couldn't be found in their dark green color

By the way, the final result is flawless, with all pins soldered and not crimped, finally the DME cable for the M64.21 (varioram) motor is ready to be mounted, and soon after the motor will finally start singing again.
I think I will also have to get reproduced the cable for the M64.05 engine, in case I want to restore the car to 100% factory conditions in the near future, also in regards to the intake system.
It is incredible how Italy is full of such rare and precious artisan realities, in which craftsmanship and passion go so hand in hand that in fact we understood each other right away without the need for too mmany words.

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 01-08-2023 at 07:10 AM.
The following 11 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
Cheekybird (01-09-2023), dalves11 (01-08-2023), Ed Hughes (01-08-2023), fnckr (01-12-2023), gonzilla (01-08-2023), Goose 993 (01-11-2023), imdvs (01-08-2023), jwong1977 (01-12-2023), kingroon (01-08-2023), mr_bock (01-08-2023), SpeedyC2 (01-09-2023) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-16-2023, 05:33 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

We are now dealing with the final, but not less important details: the craftman who reproduced the engine wiring harness did a super wotk of art, being also the plugs the ones with the squared seat.

Now I am aquiring the information that the male part that is on the sensor cable side, is round shaped, in a much cheaper way.

The sensors "incriminated" are 5:

- 2 knock sensors
- 1 cylinder head temp sensor
- 1 Crank Position Sensor
- 1 Lambda sonde (or Oxygen) sensor

No question for this car to get the cheaper version of the plugs, which is also, what a coincidence (!), the most modern one.

Are the knock sensors of the 964 and the 993 interchangeable? They are under the part #964 606 141 00 (and these seem to be squared, the old fashioned/robust way) and part #993 606 141 00. If yes, I would gladly buy the 964 ones.

Is there any source of the Crank Position Sensor with a squared seat?

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 01-16-2023 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-16-2023, 04:07 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

I am going to face the plug issue the other way round Porsche decided to face it, i.e. leaving the harness as it is, and changing the male plug on the sensors side.

This for at least a couple reasons: the car was born with a certain type of plugs on the wiring harness side, and being a classic car, she deserves to remain that way. Not less important, the round shaped plugs are less robust and less effective than the previous squared ones. Third, the craftman who's going to do the conversion is going to solder the pins, which is better than crimping them.

I suspect, I am not sure, but I suspect these big companies tend to simplify their "working days": as if that wasn't already enough Porsche not supplying the DME harness any longer, they are forcing their customers to change the healthy surviving (after almost 30 years) plugs on the harness side?
Please tell me that is a "supercazzola", because on cars that can be worth 250k such as a 993 turbo, but in the end it doesn't matter the value, it is a matter of approach to precious creatures and respect for their historical value, affective, emotional value and for the dynasty they represent. (shaking head while writing this down) it must be kind of a Truman Show!

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 01-16-2023 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Paolo that's the change I made on mine when I changed my sensors-I swapped out the plugs on the sensor side to match the harness.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:03 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Paolo that's the change I made on mine when I changed my sensors-I swapped out the plugs on the sensor side to match the harness.
But this must be a distant twinning! 🤔

Oregon - Tuscany are just 9125,13 km line-of-sight distance 😅

Aren't we paired like photons? 🤣

But yes her origjnal brake calipers are finally installed, lot of labour, many times thinking to go the easiest way and change them, but in the end I've got them installed, shiny as brand new ones, in their glossy black original paint.

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 01-19-2023 at 08:05 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
Ed Hughes (01-19-2023), imdvs (01-19-2023), kingroon (01-19-2023), SpeedyC2 (01-25-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 09:09 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

[QUOTE=nothingbutgt3;18580401]But this must be a distant twinning! 🤔

Oregon - Tuscany are just 9125,13 km line-of-sight distance 😅
Pretty much the same Latitude!

Aren't we paired like photons? 🤣

Old 01-24-2023, 08:34 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3
I am going to face the plug issue the other way round Porsche decided to face it, i.e. leaving the harness as it is, and changing the male plug on the sensors side.

This for at least a couple reasons: the car was born with a certain type of plugs on the wiring harness side, and being a classic car, she deserves to remain that way. Not less important, the round shaped plugs are less robust and less effective than the previous squared ones. Third, the craftman who's going to do the conversion is going to solder the pins, which is better than crimping them.
The new type of Bosch Timer plug/socket is an improvement on the earlier version as it has a better water seal. I am going to recommend that you change the female plugs on your wiring harness and update them to the newer type as it is a very easy job with the right tool.The reason I suggest to do it this way is that the knock and rpm sensors have integral plugs with shielded, multicore cable which is difficult to reconnect to factory standards.

There are three colours of plug: black for RPM sensor, white for Cylinder Head Temperature sensor and green for Knock Sensor. All three colours are available from Bosch, I have them at work and will dig out the part numbers tomorrow. If you cannot buy them locally I can send you them. I will also show you the special tool that is used to "uncatch" the terminals from the old plug, it really only takes seconds with the right tool.

Keep up the great work!

The following 2 users liked this post by NineMeister:
nothingbutgt3 (01-25-2023), SpeedyC2 (01-25-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 08:35 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Looking GOOD!!! I respect your attention to detail, Well Done !!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute