Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 501 Posts

Why ARP instead of factory parts?
Old 02-15-2022, 02:50 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 726 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by mkhanshaw
Summit may not know the answer at all. Did you contact ARP in the United States directly? https://arp-bolts.com/p/contact.php

If not, they are somewhat local to me (2 hours away) and I do not mind calling to ask your questions for you if you specifically tell me what you want to know, the part numbers, your situation, etc

EDIT - According to this, their head stud kit is for ALL 2.0 to 3.8L Air-cooled - https://tech.arp-bolts.com/instructions/204-4206.pdf
Thank you very much for your offer: the Porsche Head Stud kit produced by ARP has the following Part # ARP 204-4206
Reading around the internet, I have now the doubt that these ARP studs aren't a slip fit direct replacement (i.e. they don't have the same size of the threads that go into the engine case): removing the engine studs is something I would like to avoid, never disturb the sleeping dog.
It is already something full of unpredictable potential issues removing studs that are there in place from more than 20 years, and in this case these ones have been submerged for 4,5 years, so the stud threads could have become almost solid with the engine case.

Can you imagine, after a painful job for removing the studs, if the new ones were would need further rework?

Why ARP instead of factory parts?
The dilavar studs are not the same as the original ones, the originally installed are smooth in the central part of the stem, while the dilavar ones are threaded along their entire length.
The ARPs are shaped like the originals and I suspect they are more robust than the dilavar: I don't know, I'm ignorant on the subject, but how is it possible that Porsche used such a different shape on all its engines, and that such a shape was wrong?
Then why does the dilavar need to be protected with black paint?

The engine case thru bolts are going to be genuine porsche bolts: again, I am not at all sure it is the case to touch the engine head studs.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:36 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 501 Posts

I don't think ARP or Summit will answer these questions for you unfortunately.

As for why Porsche changed from smooth to fully threaded, who knows... but I wouldn't hesitate to trust the version of the studs they sell today. Just my opinion.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:08 PM
TDW993
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Plenty of great choices more suited to Porsche than ARP. Supertech studs, Canyon, Performance Development or 993 Turbo studs. A have heard quite a few issues with the ARP studs losing tension over time.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:41 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TDW993
Plenty of great choices more suited to Porsche than ARP. Supertech studs, Canyon, Performance Development or 993 Turbo studs. A have heard quite a few issues with the ARP studs losing tension over time.
Which one would you suggest?
I contacted supertec per email, no answer.
I also contacted Raceware, and they answered, telling me that the studs are out of stock.

Didn't hear anything about Canyon, but it really seems to me they must be small realities, well known, but small.
A set of these studs can fit so many different aircooled engines that if they are out of stock it reminds me of the 993 RS genuine porsche parts, like the uprights or the top mounts, out of stock for years.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:51 PM
TDW993
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I would try Henry at Surertech again as they are a great product. Try Neil at Performance Development- very high end product but we’ll worth the expense. The 993 fully threaded studs are good also but expensive for what you get. These would be readily available I would think. Canyon have a good reputation also. Depends on the budget but if money wasn’t an issue I would hunt down the following in this order:
1. Performance Development
2. Supertech
3. Canyon
5. Raceware
6. ARP

Last edited by TDW993; 02-15-2022 at 07:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutgt3 (02-15-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 08:31 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,228 Posts

ARP are a direct fit and replacement

ARP Case through

ARP Head studs installed on 993 case

The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
Kein_Ersatz (02-17-2022), nothingbutgt3 (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 04:32 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 306 Posts
Default G50 trans on RL for sale

Paolo,
I thought I saw you were having trouble sourcing a G50 trans- there's one for sale on RL right now. Asking a LOT- but with your project and charisma, you might get a deal! Good luck!
Old 02-16-2022, 06:19 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
Paolo,
I thought I saw you were having trouble sourcing a G50 trans- there's one for sale on RL right now. Asking a LOT- but with your project and charisma, you might get a deal! Good luck!
Ehm... here we got a little distracted, right? 😉

It took a while (2,5 years) but finally it popped out this beautiful G50.21.2 overhauled and ready to be installed

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 02-16-2022 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:23 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
ARP are a direct fit and replacement

ARP Case through

ARP Head studs installed on 993 case

So in your experience I suppose you consider the ARP studs and bolts to be a good product.
Someone pointed out that they might lose tension over time, nice that they are a direct fit and replacement, thank you for removing this doubt I had.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:46 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

The shop that did my 4.0 build went with ARP bolts as do many well known shops doing air cooled builds here in the states (and many successful builds documented on rennlist). The shop that did my build does ~ 4 air cooled engine builds a year for over 10 years (all with ARP). They also teach classes on engine builds to many other shops/mechanics and work closely with LN Engineering, Rasant, Dawes, and many other US builders, none are throwing shade on ARP - a proven product for years. They stand by their builds and are not seeing any ARP issues. The process to install many engine parts is very specific (pattern, torque, etc.), maybe such internet rumors are "user related" not parts related.
nothingbutgt3 (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 12:45 PM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 168 Posts

My engine builder uses OEM Porsche Dilavar for his 4.0L engines, as RUF does also btw.
No issues
Old 02-17-2022, 12:54 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3
Searching and reading I found informations regarding the Supertec Engine Head studs.

Anyone has experienced this solution?
I used supertech head studs, no issues
the kit comes complete with easy instructions about torque and installation
for installation, the upside is supertech is a simple torque value vs oem barrel nuts are small torque and then 90 degrees rotation.
downside is supertech uses 12pt nuts (or something, can't remember) and in a few places fitting a socket is tight.
but I didn't look for a slim socket for the build so that was just my problem.
if you go with oem barrel nuts, vw makes a special tool that makes the job much easier.

Part MNXZ12 - M12 Triple Square Bit LONG

http://www.metalnerd.com/catalog/product/af566013f17d49ab8324468759301817

Old 02-18-2022, 09:19 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Holger3.2
My engine builder uses OEM Porsche Dilavar for his 4.0L engines, as RUF does also btw.
No issues
Thank you Holger,
your bolts arrived safely, here they are.

There must be some kind of coating on them, that makes the surface a bit rugh

Next parts to be ordered are the engine case oil caps, that will be removed, to have complete access to inner oil ducts, so that the whole case can be carefully "washed" in a microwave bath, in order to remove any type of possible contamination.

Does anyone know the part numbers of all the oil caps present on the case? Giving a quick look on the rosepassion website, it seems that some of them were in different diameter.
Maybe for a certain model year someone can point me the right diameter to buy?

As for the thru bolt nuts and spacers: nuts will be replaced, to ensure the correct roughness while tightening the thru bolts, but what about the spacers, would you replace them as well?

As for the engine head studs, thanks to the advice recieved from cobalt, I really hope I will be able to make you drive the Limoncella on a circuit, if you will ever be around, that's how thankful and trustful I am towards your attitude, enthusiasm and experience.
​​​And so I already confirmed the order at EBS Racing, Reno - Nevada, of the ARP Part # 204-4206 (engine head stud kit), very kind and easy going customer care I must say, even with such a bad english speaking person, calling from Tuscany, Italy.

​​​​​

New engine case thru bolts next to the old ones, next to the original crankshaft in no need of being reworked (standard bearing size) and the oil pump that has been sold me as a 993 GT2 oil pump.

This pic was shot to be posted on IG, I am trying to avoid posting just nice pictures here, since I consider rennlist the worldwide excellence when it comes to technical stuff, but every now and then, please forgive me if I don't resist.

Every bolt and nut you see in this picture is coming from the submerged 993.
I personally checked and cleaned every single bolt and nut, and then got them zync coated.
The side frames, rear A-arms, control arms, m030 sway bars, are m.y. 96 coming from the silverina, that since 2019 has got brand new RS sideframes and related suspension hardware.
I like so mutch watching the naked and clean chassis of the 993, it is something that is not frequent to see.
​​​​

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 02-18-2022 at 09:24 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
Holger3.2 (02-18-2022), Kein_Ersatz (02-18-2022), kingroon (02-18-2022), LimeyBoy (02-18-2022), mkhanshaw (02-18-2022), SpeedyC2 (02-18-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-20-2022, 04:17 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

I am still searching for the following used items:

​​​​​​- gearbox holder for RWD 993 (it should be exactly the same used on the RWD 964)

- 55 Pin DME engine harness for the varioram engine

- engine bay harness, object of recall W301

​​​​​My engine bay harness of course remained underwater, so I was wondering if the repair kit included in the recall W301 is containing the whole harness, or if it contains just the parts to modify the existing one.
And is there a way to know if the car was already object of recall? It would be a smart way not to throw away money, let's say optimising the expense.

On the other side there still is a very large order to be placed on some Genuine Porsche Parts Provider, yet to be found, is there someone somewhere that can help me getting a nice discount?
I contacted FVD, at first they wrkte me they were interested, but then they left the argument fell apart, I asked Rosepassion, but nothing came from them as well.

I would gladly buy the all missing new parts from a single Porsche dealer, showing some closeness and understanding that here there is a person very rich in enthusiasm.
I also considered during a direct I did on Instagram, that if Porsche would creae some kind of special program for the 911 that got an accident and need a load of parts for which providing a 50% discount, there would be much more saved 911 rolling on the roads, instead of seeing the same 911 disassembled and sold in parts as if they were porks, as it is right now.
Every 911 disassembled should be seen by Porsche as an incredible loss, a loss of not just and only of a car, but a loss related to missing services, a loss in visibility of its quality, etc.
Theydo they fill their mouths that 70% of the 911s produced still run smoothly, and then let the cars get smashed?

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 02-20-2022 at 06:37 AM.
Ed Hughes (02-20-2022)

Quick Reply: Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute