Sponsored by:

Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 10:35 AM
kingroon
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3
..I can't describe all thr emotions flowing through my body, while seeing the recovered (and complex) pedal set, thinking how it was when I personally removed it unbolting the rusted nuts.
Each step of this Journey, and each part/component you restore, must give this feeling.. Incredibly rewarding..
Old 12-02-2021, 08:55 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 728 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by RND
I haven't been on this forum in a long, long time. I read your entire thread from the beginning. What an amazing journey. Thank you for taking the extra time to document every step along the way - it's cathartic (cartatico). I'm just beginning the search for a 993. I once had an '84 Carrera and made the mistake of selling it long ago. When I sold it the 993's were still new. I hope to get lucky and find one for myself.

Best,
Robert
Sentences like this specific one

I read your entire thread from the beginning.
​​​​​​​are so so amazing.
The following users liked this post:
RND (12-02-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 10:14 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

And finally the last parts that had to be zync plated will be ready next week for reassembly of the pedal set, the oil tank and oil console, plus the steering column, rack, ignition block.
I can't wait to turn the steering wheel and see the wheel turn to the left and to the right 🤩

​​​​​In the end the chain box & related covers will be glass microsphere blasted on the outer side and then painted, in which color, honestly, I don't know.
I still have to find out in which color they were originally painted, as well as the fan housing.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:34 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,272 Posts

They weren't painted it was some form of chemical process or conversion applied to magnesium. I haven't figured it out yet but similar to what they used on the old 935/962 mag wheels. Possibly some form of Dow process. I highly doubt you can have it done anymore. Most of these processes have been found to be carcinogenic. I have one shop by me which still does all the Dow treatments and actual Yellow Cadmium vs Zinc which holds up far better than the Zinc. I'm lucky he still slides some pieces through for me.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:39 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
They weren't painted it was some form of chemical process or conversion applied to magnesium. I haven't figured it out yet but similar to what they used on the old 935/962 mag wheels. Possibly some form of Dow process. I highly doubt you can have it done anymore. Most of these processes have been found to be carcinogenic. I have one shop by me which still does all the Dow treatments and actual Yellow Cadmium vs Zinc which holds up far better than the Zinc. I'm lucky he still slides some pieces through for me.
I don't know, the impression I and the guys at the coachbuilder shop got is that these parts were painted, probably pulver painted.
Skotchbriting small portions clearly shows paint coming away, which thing is not coherent with a surface deposit thruough a chemical treatment, I think in that case it wouldnt be so easily removable with a 400 skotch brite.

The color is a simple matt black for both fan housing and chain boxed and related covers, the boss of the paint departement was pretty confident saying that.

​​​
Old 12-06-2021, 02:49 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

My experience with magnesium tells me otherwise. No doubt The fan housing has been painted but that is not the stock finish. The timing chain covers are the stock finish. I can assure you those are not painted but for ease of use I painted mine using a 2k catalyzed rattle can in black. I will look into it and see what else I can find out but some kind of black chromate but I am not sure. .

Here is my C2 fan housing you can see it is the same finish as the timing covers. This is not the 993 engine Iw as referring to above.

While on the subject of magnesium and off topic. I just got off the phone with someone I helped 10 years ago start pouring magnesium and is looking for parts to make. Is there any mag parts anyone can think of are needed these days? I have some 935 and 962 parts I am considering but I really need something more production vs one off based. Any thoughts?
Old 12-06-2021, 03:03 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

I just got off the phone with someone I helped 10 years ago start pouring magnesium and is looking for parts to make. Is there any mag parts anyone can think of are needed these days? I have some 935 and 962 parts I am considering but I really need something more production vs one off based. Any thoughts?
the break of the magnesium should be brittle, so it must be about non-structural parts.
At the same time magnesium is about 35% lighter than aluminum alloy, so maybe to have a tangible lightening, you need a big piece to be made with this material: in my opinion the best candidate could be the Magnesium Speedline wheels for 993 (or even E28s, but I think speedlines are easier to make), which are no longer in production, than when if they find used they cost really too much and with all the uncertainty of the case.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:22 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

While on the subject of magnesium and off topic. I just got off the phone with someone I helped 10 years ago start pouring magnesium and is looking for parts to make. Is there any mag parts anyone can think of are needed these days? I have some 935 and 962 parts I am considering but I really need something more production vs one off based. Any thoughts?
If I remember correctly, there is a magnesium housing which partially covers the distributor cap on the 4-cylinder, 16-valve engines in the 944 S and S2 (and maybe the 928?) which warps/degrades over time and allows moisture into the distributor. The part is NLA, and I don't think anyone has come up with a viable alternative.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
If I remember correctly, there is a magnesium housing which partially covers the distributor cap on the 4-cylinder, 16-valve engines in the 944 S and S2 (and maybe the 928?) which warps/degrades over time and allows moisture into the distributor. The part is NLA, and I don't think anyone has come up with a viable alternative.

You know I have been so focused on 911 parts I didn't consider 944 or 928 parts. 👍 Porsche used mag valve covers on the early 964's but switched the material over to aluminum in the later 92 on cars then the plastic on the 993's. I won't do wheels since the liability aspect is so high. I did some F1 wheels years ago for a retired Ferrari F1 car and they were a PITA to get right. The tooling that came from Campanolo was a mess.

Magnesium is 33% less weight than aluminum. Both have their pros and cons. Magnesium has better cast-ability than aluminum although both shrink identically while cooling, absorbs shock better and is generally stronger. The issue is the foundry casting it and the care taken to process the parts through the heat treatment process. Magnesium's big foe is the environment and should not be allowed to be exposed for long periods otherwise it will begin to break down. That is why the proper coatings and surface preparation is so critical. Although we think mag is weaker it is actually added to your aluminum alloys to add strength improving their strain hardening ability. Mag in its raw state is actually quite malleable and becomes more brittle depending on the alloying agents and processing after casting.

Unfortunately mag gets a bad wrap but is the strongest lightest metal and given equal square inches is slightly lighter and stronger than the comparable area of carbon fibers.

Sorry for the off topic and thanks SpeedyC2 for the idea. I have a 928 and a 944 currently so I will look into it.

One last bit. Porsche used magnesium for the structural assembly and gearboxes of a 962 other famous race cars used mag as well. I was going to cast these years ago since they were NLA but someone started making them in aluminum in the UK. These cars don't get raced much and every ounce isn't as critical so I guess it is OK. The parts in gold are magnesium.

The following users liked this post:
SpeedyC2 (12-07-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 06:34 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

As Ed clearly pointed out

"a masterpiece doesn't happen overnight"

There are a few, but very significant details to be refined, some for 100% perfect esthetic, some others for 100% perfect functionality.

Then, finally, Limoncella will be rebuilt, once and for all.
The following 10 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
908/3fan (01-08-2022), asj262 (12-09-2021), cobalt (12-09-2021), Ed Hughes (12-09-2021), imdvs (12-10-2021), jfischet (12-09-2021), kingroon (12-10-2021), RND (12-13-2021), SpeedyC2 (12-10-2021), Steve Theodore (12-10-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-10-2021, 01:42 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 322 Posts

Truly awe inspiring my friend. So many of us around the world are cheering for you and rooting you on, and cannot wait for you to drive your beautiful 993.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Theodore:
Gt3stig (12-16-2021), nothingbutgt3 (12-10-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 05:54 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

I have an easy question for you all here: I am going to add at first on the silver 993 and later also on the lemon one this safety item, the rennline fire extinguisher bracket, and i was wondering which one of the two different way I assembled them is the right one, while installing them below the Recaro Passenger seat.

For esthetic i think the one on the right side should be better, is there shunt who already mounted it?

​​​
Old 12-17-2021, 12:15 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 179 Posts

I think clearance (rail or seat cushion) will dictate if one or the other is the correct mounting for your application. All things being equal or possible, lower to the floor for passenger seat is better I think for passenger comfort and in/out. This adds length to seat (under knees) and have had some feedback that for passenger, it can be a discomfort issue on long drives. When fire bottle is aged out, may switch to Element stick from traditional bottle and gain the space back.

The following 2 users liked this post by Kein_Ersatz:
nothingbutgt3 (12-17-2021), Schlyter (12-28-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 06:08 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Distribution Chain Boxes and their covers are on their way to be refined, prepared for the primer and finally painted matt black, like the fan housing.

sand blasted, ready to be skotch brited

From left to right - The wood table/desktop - 1

From left to right - The wood table/desktop - 2

From left to right - The wood table/desktop - 3

From left to right - The wood table/desktop - 4
The following 2 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
imdvs (12-22-2021), kingroon (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 10:17 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

This is all a little overwhelming. How do you keep up with it all?

Quick Reply: Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute