Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 01:36 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 728 Likes on 245 Posts

I am considering to give a try to ice blasting for cleaning the magnesium fan and fan housing parts, then paint the fan in the cerakote light sand color and the fan housing either with a transparent matt layer of paint or with a matt grey that can look as closer as possible to the color of the material, but in this case it wouldn't look original anymore.

What would you go for?

Light Sand H-142 I think is very close to the factory finish of the engine fan, which actually I don't think was zermatt silver, at lesst not in the 993 stock models.

There is a wide offer of colors, Maghull H-231 maybe is the closest to fan housing Mag finish available here

But I am not sure if it's the case to paint with a color also the fan housing, because the row mag looks very differen: once it is painted, the final result is not natural anymore

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 09-14-2021 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:14 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 310 Posts

Sky blue against the yellow would be very cool.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:25 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Just to be clear, the RS hub doesn't have a bearing, because it spins the Fan and alternator at the same speed. The stock one needs the bearing as the fan and alternator rotate at different speeds.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:08 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Tip while painting the fan and housing... there is Very Little Clarence between the fan blade tips and the fan housing. If this is not addressed, the first time the assembly is powered up, you may have paint shavings coming off.
I know this the hard way...

Keep up the good work!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutgt3 (09-15-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 07:56 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Just started to put the parts down and I am wondering if youbguys can help me answering technical and less technical questions

It seems the M18 nut bushing (the yellow part in the scheme) must be missing, or?

These parts must be magnesium, the overall condition are quite good, in case i would like to restore them to a top condition, what should I do? Vapor blasting, dry ice blasting, and then, painting them with a trasparent layer high temperature resistant?

Where are suposed to stay the 2 elastic bands? And the other copper line?

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 09-21-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I used the Porsche RS mounts in mine, so I'm not familiar with the Rennlines, but it does look like they are missing those parts.

The parts are aluminum, to my knowledge, so any of those methods would work to clean. I've never coated any parts off a Porsche motor with anything once they are cleaned. Unless you lived on the ocean, I'd say its a non issue as to preservation. I never experienced any adverse corrosion or discolorization, but I've pretty much always lived in a relatively dry climate.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:59 PM
Antonov
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Just stumbled onto this thread though I've been following along on Instagram. Fantastic work!
Old 09-23-2021, 04:52 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I used the Porsche RS mounts in mine, so I'm not familiar with the Rennlines, but it does look like they are missing those parts.

The parts are aluminum, to my knowledge, so any of those methods would work to clean. I've never coated any parts off a Porsche motor with anything once they are cleaned. Unless you lived on the ocean, I'd say its a non issue as to preservation. I never experienced any adverse corrosion or discolorization, but I've pretty much always lived in a relatively dry climate.
Hi Ed,
from the color, the porosity, the weight, the chain boxes and their covers to me are magnesium.
I was considering to get them vapor or ice blasted but eventually only on the outer surfaces, so that they can be painted with a transparent matt layer, only in the outer surface. I don't think it makes very much sense painting the inside, since it is very and continously exposed to very hot oil.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3
Hi Ed,
from the color, the porosity, the weight, the chain boxes and their covers to me are magnesium.
I was considering to get them vapor or ice blasted but eventually only on the outer surfaces, so that they can be painted with a transparent matt layer, only in the outer surface. I don't think it makes very much sense painting the inside, since it is very and continously exposed to very hot oil.
I was thinking 3.2! You’re right, not alum. I always thought they were some kind of composite/plastic, at least the covers.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:44 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Pretty sure the covers are a plastic / composite and not a metal.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:43 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 541 Posts

Nope. The chain box covers are magnesium. Same as the fan blade and housing.

Valve covers on the other hand are composite.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:19 AM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 172 Posts

Jepp, all magnesium.
Ice blasting will do an incredible job.
Painting not really recommended ... if you really want to do something than do powder coating, but its not really necessary.

Last edited by Holger3.2; 09-24-2021 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:46 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Holger3.2
Jepp, all magnesium.
Ice blasting will do an incredible job.
Painting not really recommended ... if you really want to do something than do powder coating, but its not really necessary.
Excuse me Holger,
language makes me ask stupid questions as a double check attitude I have to follow to avoid as much as possible bad mistakes:

powder coating is the process used to applay spray paint while applying negative to the element to be sprayed?

while painting is just painting using the spray powder without electricity?

I've been asking here and on instagram what is the best way to clean the magnesium fan and its housing, and it emerged it is either vapour (gentler), ice (slightly less gentle) or microspheres (most abrasive possible, but it makes emerge eventual hidden corrosion points).

the fact the chain boxes are made of same material makes me think to apply the same cleaning method, but I am still figuring out the paint process and type to be used.

For the an housing I would go with the same transparent matt layer that I would use for the chain boxes cover outer surface, while the rest of chain stuff will have to remain just mag uncovered metal: someone said I have to stay away from powder coating with electeicity, since it creates problems.
So I was thinking of simple powder paint, matt, transparent, no electricity.

For the fan, same process, but with a layer that must be of a very light sand colour, since the 993 fans were painted not silver, but in that color, a light hazelnut color,
that was kind of ceramic composition as well.

I saw keracote has a similar paint available and probably only for the fan I would go this way.

Then it emerged also that cleaning the mag parts ask for covering the metal surface to avoid oxygen/metal interaction, so in this sense, I still have to answer the question if it is probably the xase to avood ice blasting of the chain boxes and covers area that will not be painted with the transparent layer.

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 09-24-2021 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:08 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,329 Posts

Yes the chain housings and covers are magnesium. I suspect the parts were anodized although I am not sure. It has shown to hold up quite well compared to the painted magnesium parts.

Your parts are in amazingly clean condition with only minor corrosion showing. IMO why remove a coating that has such a good bond. I just used a course Scotchbright pad to remove any corrosion and scuff the surface so it will accept paint and hit them with an acid etching primer then a catalyzed (2K) spray paint in a rattle can. I have used these catalyzed paints on many things that sit outside and they hold up quite well. I did not paint the internal surfaces or the areas that have the seals since these were in perfect original condition and I saw no reason to mess with those surfaces.

I also did my fan housing which appears to be anodized as well. The fan was in excellent condition with no flaking or damaged paint just discolored as they all do. I decided to paint the fan as well sine the accents on this car are all black.

Last edited by cobalt; 09-24-2021 at 09:13 AM.
nothingbutgt3 (09-24-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 07:08 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
Yes the chain housings and covers are magnesium. I suspect the parts were anodized although I am not sure. It has shown to hold up quite well compared to the painted magnesium parts.

Your parts are in amazingly clean condition with only minor corrosion showing. IMO why remove a coating that has such a good bond. I just used a course Scotchbright pad to remove any corrosion and scuff the surface so it will accept paint and hit them with an acid etching primer then a catalyzed (2K) spray paint in a rattle can. I have used these catalyzed paints on many things that sit outside and they hold up quite well. I did not paint the internal surfaces or the areas that have the seals since these were in perfect original condition and I saw no reason to mess with those surfaces.

I also did my fan housing which appears to be anodized as well. The fan was in excellent condition with no flaking or damaged paint just discolored as they all do. I decided to paint the fan as well sine the accents on this car are all black.

I talked to the guy at the cleaning shop and he suggested to go at first for dry ice blasting on the fan and its housing, and then see the result.
If it is not enough, go for glass microsphere blasting set a 1bar of pressure, paying attention and very carefully, only where and if necessary.

​​​​​​On the painting process side, I would like the keracote, which is a ceramic paint, for the fan, and only a transparent matt layer for the housing.

Regarding the chain boxes, probably the will be only dry ice blasted and then get a clear matt coat only on the outer side of the covers.

I can't wait to see the final result!
SpeedyC2 (09-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute