Sponsored by:

992.2 Info

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2024 | 03:30 PM
autozero
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by autozero
I don't think that many are complaining about the addition of hybrid on some of the models. It's really everything else that people are bemoaning:

- lack of manual option
- lack of NA option
- loss of analog tach
- loss of lemans style key
- lazy sport design where it's just more paint on the standard bumper

It's clear that Porsche is looking to maximize profit any way they can which I guess is fair since that's what public traded companies do but it doesn't really breed brand loyalty imo

Now, I say all this despite having a deposit on a .2 and will happily pay a premium for a PTS so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I would encourage Porsche designers to take a look at the LC500 as a car that was clearly designed with passion and attention to detail. You really feel like you're getting your money's worth with that car and they give a middle finger to emissions by still using a NA V8. Could care less that it's slow bc, it sounds amazing.
Old 05-31-2024 | 03:48 PM
Ryan993
Instructor

Received 144 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Curious if anyone has ever seen the PTS color Grigio Campovolo and how it compares to Chalk.
much deeper and much nice imo
Old 05-31-2024 | 03:55 PM
Defrag
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
The extra power does not necessarily from the battery. There is no wastegates for the turbo, which means all of the excess energy from the turbo’s exhaust turbine that is not used to boost the intake charge is fed to either recharging the battery or to the drive motor in the PDK.
40hp comes from the battery, rest is engine/software tweaks, if nothing changed from the data I saw months ago, which had the horse power outputs of just released models 100% correct.
Old 05-31-2024 | 05:11 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,557 Likes on 563 Posts

I would encourage Porsche designers to take a look at the LC500 as a car that was clearly designed with passion and attention to detail. You really feel like you're getting your money's worth with that car and they give a middle finger to emissions by still using a NA V8. Could care less that it's slow bc, it sounds amazing.
I'm assuming that Toyota has more flexibility on their engine choice because they sell so many incredibly efficient cars, that their overall average is still quite low.
Old 05-31-2024 | 05:27 PM
cptcolo0
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by iso87
Looks like the base Carrera is the model to go for, without the hybrid gimmicks, with IMO more consistent styling. Also the hybrid engine doesn't sound as good as the 3.0 litre one. It's plenty fast but of if you're after performance then go for GTS. Don't see any other reasons to go for GTS. More expensive and heavier.
I think the model to get will actually be the new Carrera 4. It looks like it will not be in the line-up for 2025, but I assume it would be available for 2026. The base Carrera now has larger brakes, the turbos from the 992.1 GTS, and the intercooler from the 992.1 Turbo. The new 992.2 base Carrera should be as tunable as the old 992.1 S car, probably close to 600hp. The Carrera 4 has the added benefit of the limited slip differential (LSP) for the rear wheels and AWD to better put down the high power, pull through corners, and drive in icy / snowy conditions. It will still not have the manual available though.

The new Carrera T (RWD only) would seem like it might be a better opinion still, but it has limited interior options and they removed some of the sound deadening.

The new Carrera S / 4S might still be the best choice, we will have to wait and see what they come out with.

The new Carrera GTS is very expensive now, has many undesirable (IMO) options like PDCC as standard, removed sound deading, making everything black, harsher ride, standard sports exhaust, and center lock wheels.

The rumored new RWD Turbo manual sounds very interesting, but it also sounds like it will be something that is in high demand and will difficult to get. Also since it is a Turbo it will be expensive. Still it might end up being the best choice. I really hope it will look good, I don't care for the active aero vents on the GTS.

Last edited by cptcolo0; 05-31-2024 at 05:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nyca (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024 | 05:49 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,321 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Defrag
Dude, thats terrible.

I just rewatched the videos and it really stands out. I like the new front, meh for the exhaust tips (at least make it possible to pick which we can get), but this might be a deal killer for me and i will just stick with 992.1
I know. I really don't dislike the .2 update but now the back bumper looks like I need to walk up and shove it 1.5 inches towards the front of the car, expecting it to satisfyingly click in to place and suddenly look like it fits. I have way too much ADHD for that bumper treatment
Old 05-31-2024 | 06:23 PM
Airbus Gangster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cptcolo0
The new Carrera GTS is very expensive now, has many undesirable (IMO) options like PDCC as standard, removed sound deading, making everything black, harsher ride, standard sports exhaust, and center lock wheels.
Ummm you think the sports exhaust and center lock wheels are "undesirable"? lmao
Old 05-31-2024 | 06:33 PM
cavemanmoore
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by McNamara
Generally agree with this observation but when many of the changes are being driven by the need to meet emission standards I do believe we're entering an era where things in general (for sports cars) aren't getting better, at least in terms of the raw driving experience. I've no doubt the 992.2 is faster. Who cares?
Agreed. The 992.2 seems to be a stepping stone in Porsche’s balancing act between emissions requirements and the sports car we all love.
Old 05-31-2024 | 06:59 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,182 Likes on 5,296 Posts

The LC500 is a beautiful car, with an interior that is almost bespoke-like in its quality and craftsmanship (Aston Martin would be proud).

That said, the LC500 sells as well heated blankets in the Sahara desert.

And if you're so enamored with the LC500, what are you still doing on Rennlist? You should be over there --> LC500 Forum.

The fact you are not says all we need to know about whether Porsche or Toyota is doing it right when it comes to luxury GT cars.
Old 05-31-2024 | 07:08 PM
3520MMF
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The LC500 is a beautiful car, with an interior that is almost bespoke-like in its quality and craftsmanship (Aston Martin would be proud).

And if you're so enamored with the LC500, what are you still doing on Rennlist? You should be over there --> LC500 Forum.

The fact you are not says all we need to know about whether Porsche or Toyota is doing it right when it comes to luxury GT cars.

I can only hope the .2 haters stay the course. Maybe it will help for my allocation.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3520MMF:
Haros (05-31-2024), user 999993337 (06-01-2024)
Old 05-31-2024 | 07:09 PM
autozero
Instructor

The LC500 doesn't sell well because most people are badge snobs and don't consider Lexus an aspirational/luxury or sporty brand. If the same exact car was made by Porsche and had a Porsche crest on it with the level of attention to detail and craftsman ship that Lexus gives, it would sell like hotcakes.

Anyways, yes I do have a 992.1 and my 992.2 is coming in October and when the 994 comes out, I'll probably be getting that too despite my complaints. Anyone who doesn't see a need to criticize Porsche is only doing themselves a disservice for their next Porsche purchase. I intend to try to hold Porsche to a higher standard which is what they've built their past reputation on.

Last edited by autozero; 05-31-2024 at 07:10 PM.
rmb1973 (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024 | 07:13 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,182 Likes on 5,296 Posts

The LC500 doesn't sell well because most people are badge snobs and don't consider Lexus an aspirational/luxury or sporty brand. If the same exact car was made by Porsche and had a Porsche crest on it with the level of attention to detail and craftsman ship that Lexus gives, it would sell like hotcakes.

Anyways, yes I do have a 992.1 and my 992.2 is coming in October and when the 994 comes out, I'll probably be getting that too despite my complaints. Anyone who doesn't see a need to criticize Porsche is only doing themselves a disservice for their next Porsche purchase. I intend to try to hold Porsche to a higher standard which is what they've built their past reputation on.
Porsche interiors have always been overpriced vis-a-vis the MSRP of the car.

In any generation, whether air cooled 993 or water cooled "modern" 911s (991 or 992), the interiors are best described as functional, and at worst, Spartan.

The leather is fine, but nothing spectacular, the UX has never been cutting edge or user-friendly.

So to complain now about the 992.2 is a bit odd. This has been Porsche's MO for decades now.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (05-31-2024), Bognar67 (05-31-2024), Haros (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024 | 07:23 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,669 Likes on 958 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbus Gangster
Ummm you think the sports exhaust and center lock wheels are "undesirable"? lmao
Center lock wheels for a vehicle primarily used for public roads is an overkill as well as a potential PITA.
The following 3 users liked this post by RatherJaded:
alex2364 (05-31-2024), Crusje (05-31-2024), rmb1973 (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024 | 07:27 PM
autozero
Instructor

Porsche interiors have always been overpriced vis-a-vis the MSRP of the car.

In any generation, whether air cooled 993 or water cooled "modern" 911s (991 or 992), the interiors are best described as functional, and at worst, Spartan.

The leather is fine, but nothing spectacular, the UX has never been cutting edge or user-friendly.

So to complain now about the 992.2 is a bit odd. This has been Porsche's MO for decades now.
...I think the Porsche 992.1 interior is stunning particularly in one of the colored options and I love how customizable it is. My only complaint about the 992.2 (which I have an allocation for) is that the new start/stop button (which is the same one from the Panamera) is surprisingly cheap. BMW, Mercedes and pretty much every premium brand puts a lot of care and attention into the start button --- and Porsche used to as well. Also getting rid of the analog tach is a bit of a disappointment but not a dealbreaker though I wish there was a colored screen option on the lower trims. I'm just happy there's still an analog sportchrono meter.

I don't understand why it's so wrong to give Porsche constructive criticism --- especially from actual customers such as myself.
rmb1973 (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024 | 07:32 PM
3520MMF
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts

...I think the Porsche 992.1 interior is stunning particularly in one of the colored options and I love how customizable it is. My only complaint about the 992.2 (which I have an allocation for) is that the new start/stop button (which is the same one from the Panamera) is surprisingly cheap. BMW, Mercedes and pretty much every premium brand puts a lot of care and attention into the start button --- and Porsche used to as well. Also getting rid of the analog tach is a bit of a disappointment but not a dealbreaker though I wish there was a colored screen option on the lower trims. I'm just happy there's still an analog sportchrono meter.

I don't understand why it's so wrong to give Porsche constructive criticism --- especially from actual customers such as myself.

Which model 992.2 are you buying.

Quick Reply: 992.2 Info