Sponsored by:

992.2 Info

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2024, 12:39 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
Just got done watching the SavageGeese video. One of the better ones.

Question I have for us Track Rats. If Jorge was 100% at the start and close to 0 at the end of his 7:20 ish Nurburgring run, what would us mere mortals experience over a 25 minute HPDE? How do we then get the battery back to 100%?

And then repeat the session 1.5 hours later for another 25 minutes.

Thoughts?
Because now it’s GTs and not gtS.
Old 05-31-2024, 12:40 PM
RRich
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by JohsonChou
Em...
if the battery is 1.9kwh, and the electric motor is 53.6hp... Assuming 100% effiency and 100% charged battery, the battery ony last 1.9kwh / 53.6hp = 2.85217385 minutes = 171.130431 seconds.
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
The extra power does not necessarily from the battery. There is no wastegates for the turbo, which means all of the excess energy from the turbo’s exhaust turbine that is not used to boost the intake charge is fed to either recharging the battery or to the drive motor in the PDK.
In one of the interviews Porsche said a 992.2 GTS starting at 100% battery was good for the 7:16.9 Nürburgring lap before hitting 0% at the end.
Old 05-31-2024, 12:43 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s

Somebody pointed out this ledge and now I can’t un-see it. Looks like an underbite to me and the Porsche lettering seems to be integrated more poorly than before in the tail lights. Need to see it in person but to me the tails might be my least favorite design aspect with the update. Most other aspects I think will likely age well.
Don’t know what happened to the designers lately from BMW and now to this. Brotha ewww…
Old 05-31-2024, 12:53 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by gargey
I love that part!

+1
Old 05-31-2024, 12:58 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,029 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by jstap808
the gts is easily the worst value in the lineup. Basically an overoptioned carrera s with a bunch of useless gimmicks. If you want more speed and aggression go turbo or gt cars. If you want sport/track focus go carrera t. Otherwise carrera s is the right mid point, not gts. I think they are going in the wrong direction ala bmw and offering too mant trims. Give the carrera s the sound of the gts, get rid of the gts and base carrera and keep the following:

Carrera T
Carrera S
Turbo S
GT3
GT3 Touring
That would be the perfect lineup. But not enough increments for PAG.
Old 05-31-2024, 01:21 PM
cavemanmoore
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't want a 992.2. However, the complaints about hybrid power remind me of days gone by. Remember when people bemoaned the death of the carburetor in favor of primitive fuel injection? Next, it was the computer-controlled systems that frightened buyers. People were certain that water-cooled 911s would be the death of the Carrera. When that didn't happen, they were extra certain that twin-turbo power on the base, S, and GTS models was going to kill the driving experience. Now, here we are again: the world is moving on in front of us. As much as people think hybrid 911s will be terrible, 10 years from now, they will have a hard time imagining a sports car with a mere 400 horsepower.
The following 7 users liked this post by cavemanmoore:
alaris (05-31-2024), alex2364 (05-31-2024), Dezeinstein (05-31-2024), Haros (05-31-2024), jdrake (05-31-2024), Ray1628 (05-31-2024), yellolab (05-31-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-31-2024, 01:26 PM
JamesPorter911
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jstap808
the gts is easily the worst value in the lineup. Basically an overoptioned carrera s with a bunch of useless gimmicks. If you want more speed and aggression go turbo or gt cars. If you want sport/track focus go carrera t. Otherwise carrera s is the right mid point, not gts. I think they are going in the wrong direction ala bmw and offering too mant trims. Give the carrera s the sound of the gts, get rid of the gts and base carrera and keep the following:

Carrera T
Carrera S
Turbo S
GT3
GT3 Touring
yes please discontinue the GTS so that my 7MT will hold value even better. Not sure if you realize the price difference between a GTS and a Turbo S? Saying that there shouldn’t be a trim between a Carrera S and a Turbo S is a bit extreme…
The following users liked this post:
Haros (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 01:43 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
The extra power does not necessarily from the battery. There is no wastegates for the turbo, which means all of the excess energy from the turbo’s exhaust turbine that is not used to boost the intake charge is fed to either recharging the battery or to the drive motor in the PDK.
from what I read,

The generator and the motor is the same thing on the turbo. You can’t be charging and discharging with the same motor. It is possible though at full load, the exhaust generate more power than the compressor consumes so it will be charging. But I really don't think that is the case.
All in all the generator is 15kw. which is less than half of the motor in pdk. Even if the compressor uses 0 power, the battery will drain.

People shouldn't be over indexing on re-gen braking in this car. BEV has good regen braking because they have big motor. The motor we have in PDK is only 50hp, so you can only be regen braking at around 50hp. In aggressive driving condition most energy will go to the brake rotor.

fact is, the engineer himself said the battery drains from 100 to 0 by the end of 7 minute ring attempt. I think the new GTS will be an excellent GT car, but probably not as great at the track. Some people will say duh.

Last edited by VRShader; 05-31-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:36 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,027 Posts

They quite clearly stated at full load the exhaust generator generates 11kw more. The exhaust motor keeps the turbos under their redline and dumps the excess. There are 2 motors, so it’s entirely possible for the exhaust to be generating while the transition is draining.

Folks imagining themselves to be factory professional race drivers should probably not hyperventilate. With the exhaust regen, you will never have less than 20% e-motor power even at 0% battery due to the constant 11kW
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
PSPorsche (05-31-2024), subaru335i (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 02:48 PM
McNamara
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by cavemanmoore
I don't want a 992.2. However, the complaints about hybrid power remind me of days gone by. Remember when people bemoaned the death of the carburetor in favor of primitive fuel injection? Next, it was the computer-controlled systems that frightened buyers. People were certain that water-cooled 911s would be the death of the Carrera. When that didn't happen, they were extra certain that twin-turbo power on the base, S, and GTS models was going to kill the driving experience. Now, here we are again: the world is moving on in front of us. As much as people think hybrid 911s will be terrible, 10 years from now, they will have a hard time imagining a sports car with a mere 400 horsepower.
Generally agree with this observation but when many of the changes are being driven by the need to meet emission standards I do believe we're entering an era where things in general (for sports cars) aren't getting better, at least in terms of the raw driving experience. I've no doubt the 992.2 is faster. Who cares?
cavemanmoore (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 02:55 PM
subaru335i
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreatJ
Is there anybody here who can explain why the WLTP (current standard in EU) emission values don't really come down at all in the new GTS even though Porsche is enforcing the Lambda=1 principle throughout the RPM range? In my mind it should have a huge effect compared to the earlier now that the mix is not allowed to run rich at all.

This is really bugging me. Primarily because almost half of the price of a 911 in my region is coming from taxes and the amount of tax is derived straight from the vehicle's WLTP emission value but I would also like to understand why this entire effort "just for the sake of emissions" and then the values barely come down/remain the same.

Cheers.
Its because the WLTP cycle didn't get into power enrichment already in the old car so lambda 1 changes nothing. There is maybe a tiny improvement from the exhaust and braking energy power recovery but not much.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:56 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
They quite clearly stated at full load the exhaust generator generates 11kw more. The exhaust motor keeps the turbos under their redline and dumps the excess. There are 2 motors, so it’s entirely possible for the exhaust to be generating while the transition is draining.

Folks imagining themselves to be factory professional race drivers should probably not hyperventilate. With the exhaust regen, you will never have less than 20% e-motor power even at 0% battery due to the constant 11kW
This is quote from the press release.

"The 911 GTS also uses a newly developed, electrically driven turbocharger. An integrated electric motor, placed between the compressor wheel and the turbine wheel, speeds up the turbocharger very quickly to develop boost. This electric motor in the turbocharger also functions as a generator and can develop up to 11 kW using the exhaust gas stream. The electric turbocharger is not equipped with a wastegate and allows for the use of a single turbocharger compared to the two that were used previously while simultaneously improving throttle response and performance."

Up to 11kW. not 11kW at full load. Also one motor.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:58 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,451 Likes on 916 Posts

@JasonFenske . Hey Jason, can you please do an Engineering Explained YT video episode on what track driving and track braking a 992.2 GTS around the Ring will do to the energy depletion in the 400V battery compared to the energy regen by the MGU-H system and the MGU-K system during the same lap? Porsche engineer discussed it in the Savagegeese YT review but some (including me) are confused by his explanation. The math should be interesting . Thanks.

Last edited by Fullyield; 05-31-2024 at 03:02 PM.
AlexCeres (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 03:12 PM
autozero
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cavemanmoore
I don't think that many are complaining about the addition of hybrid on some of the models. It's really everything else that people are bemoaning:

- lack of manual option
- lack of NA option
- loss of analog tach
- loss of lemans style key
- lazy sport design where it's just more paint on the standard bumper

It's clear that Porsche is looking to maximize profit any way they can which I guess is fair since that's what public traded companies do but it doesn't really breed brand loyalty imo

Now, I say all this despite having a deposit on a .2 and will happily pay a premium for a PTS so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
cavemanmoore (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 03:15 PM
fanboy
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by autozero
I don't think that many are complaining about the addition of hybrid on some of the models. It's really everything else that people are bemoaning:

- lack of manual option
- lack of NA option
- loss of analog tach
- loss of lemans style key
- lazy sport design where it's just more paint on the standard bumper

It's clear that Porsche is looking to maximize profit any way they can which I guess is fair since that's what public traded companies do but it doesn't really breed brand loyalty imo

Now, I say all this despite having a deposit on a .2 and will happily pay a premium for a PTS so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Same here, waiting to meet with my SA to go over build options. I am crossing my fingers for a PTS slot, even though it means spending another $15K for the pleasure. All the default colors are so boring. Where's the Lava Orange or Miami Blue? I feel like the colors could have come from Kia this time around.

Quick Reply: 992.2 Info