992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992.2 Info

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 09:51 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
It's funny how this the author of the article first makes it sound like almost as if it's completely bonkers that the Turbo(s) would indeed be manual. And he makes a lot of effort to make it sound like the rumour from Rennlist states that both Turbo and Turbo S are going to be RWD and manual only.

Then at the end of the article he kind of presents as his own clever conclusion that what if only the lower level Turbo is indeed RWD and manual and the Turbo S will retain AWD and PDK. WTF? This is exactly the "rumour" that originated from Rennlist and @silversurfer6. Did he really just write that entire article so that he could make it sound like that he and his magazine came up with the idea of only regular Turbo being manual and not both of them?

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 05-16-2024 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:08 AM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreatJ
It's funny how this the author of the article first makes it sound like almost as if it's completely bonkers that the Turbo(s) would indeed be manual. And he makes a lot of effort to make it sound like the rumour from Rennlist states that both Turbo and Turbo S are going to be RWD and manual only.

Then at the end of the article he kind of presents as his own clever conclusion that what if only the lower level Turbo is indeed RWD and manual and the Turbo S will retain AWD and PDK. WTF? This is exactly the "rumour" that originated from Rennlist and @silversurfer6. Did he really just write that entire article so that he could make it sound like that he and his magazine came up with the idea of only regular Turbo being manual and not both of them?
I believe it was mentioned that the Turbo and Turbo S will not be revealed until early 2025 so we won’t know until then.

It looks like just the Base and GTS will be revealed this month.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:17 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnauto
I believe it was mentioned that the Turbo and Turbo S will not be revealed until early 2025 so we won’t know until then.

It looks like just the Base and GTS will be revealed this month.
I am just writing about what the chat has been here and how the magazine cherrypicked only a part of the information initially brought up here and then presented the other part as its own conclusion.

P.S. And according to the "rumours" here, the Turbo is RWD and manual whereas the Turbo S is AWD and PDK. By "rumours" I mean information that so far has been 100% accurate.

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 05-16-2024 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:28 AM
user 999993337
Banned

Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

I am just writing about what the chat has been here and how the magazine cherrypicked only a part of the information initially brought up here and then presented the other part as its own conclusion.

P.S. And according to the "rumours" here, the Turbo is RWD and manual whereas the Turbo S is AWD and PDK. By "rumours" I mean information that so far has been 100% accurate.
Exactly how they posted that the 992.2 variant which was 8.7 seconds faster was the GTS based on calculation I made. The article was piblished after I created the below thread and added the calculation details. https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1411...urgring-7.html
Old 05-16-2024, 10:42 AM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 746 Likes on 333 Posts

@silversurfer6 have you been able to confirm if this is a single or twin turbo setup in the GTS? If single, ~55lbs for the turbo itself seems like a neutral change, considering the twins are probably 25-30lbs each already... Obviously the ICE is physically larger, and a smallish battery and new HV circuits would add 75-125lbs depending on size and layout.

Same question for the S, which I assume is retaining at least the block from the current 9A2 evo? And do you know if it's the same borg-warner unit (so the S & GTS would then keep using the same turbocharger as today, but on 3.0 and 3.6L ICEs respectively?

Last edited by zachr; 05-16-2024 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:47 AM
alaris
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
instead of a new 992.2 carrera model I’d choose a used Roma or similar.
A used Roma is over 200k even for the lowest priced versions. Not really in the same league.

If there is no more manual except in Turbo or GT cars, I have no interest in a new 911. All I wanted was PTS and a manual. If I can’t get that, probably aiming at a 991 GT3T or 991.2 GTS after the new car has pushed down prices a little.

Last edited by alaris; 05-16-2024 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:05 AM
SBAD
Pro

Received 707 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Gian6
Here are the last uncamouflaged pic:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...8-233834.html#
Do you like it?
I LOVE it because it makeS me like my current gen Carrera S even MORE. Cosmetic change for the sake of change is never a good thing. That new front end with the vertical slats is hideous IMHO. The rear deck lid has lost its retro heritage and the rear fascia is way to busy.

God knows what they did to the interior. We already know the analog tach is gone.

Last edited by SBAD; 05-16-2024 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:08 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 918 Posts

Those flaps being in the foreground/dominant design element is a strange choice.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:50 AM
adm63
Pro

Received 902 Likes on 328 Posts

I do find the front design really strange, very "toothy" between the vertical flaps and the hard edge ducts. The rear is harder to tell on black cars, havent really made up my mind I could be open to it but feels like minor changes overall besides the 991.2 style sport tailpipes. I dont mind those but I also like the GT2 style ones on the 992.1.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:34 PM
Zingerman88
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

While I'm unsure, a high-torque turbocharged 911 with a manual transmission seems unlikely. The existing Sport Classic already pushes the limits of the manual gearbox. Given this, a more powerful turbo with even more torque might necessitate a completely redesigned manual, which seems improbable.

A few years back, Harry Metcalfe proposed an interesting 911-lineup in his 992 Turbo video review. He suggested dividing Porsche's lineup into two categories:

GT Line: Featuring naturally-aspirated (NA) engines (with potential hybrid options). This line could offer a more engaging driving experience. Entry might be at a higher price point. The GT line would start with the "T" (possibly with hybridization)

Turbo Line: Featuring turbocharged engines (with potential hybrid options). This line would likely prioritize power and performance. It might offer a more accessible starting price. The Turbo line would start with the Base, S, GTS, (possibly with hybridization).

This approach offers several advantages including:
  • Increased buyer choice: Customers could choose between prioritizing driving experience (GT line) or raw power (Turbo line).
  • Lower entry point for GT cars: The GT line, despite a potentially higher base price, could offer a more affordable entry point into Porsche's high-performance segment compared to the Turbo line.
Metcalfe's concept is appealing, and it's interesting to consider if Porsche might be subtly implementing a similar strategy with their 992.2 current lineup.
The following users liked this post:
alaris (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 01:12 PM
cebe
Pro

Received 444 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Gian6
Here are the last uncamouflaged pic:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...8-233834.html#
Do you like it?
One important detail from these pictures is the fact that the particular Targa is a GTS (written on the seats+the centerlocks) ... the front facia with vertical elements is then a GTS

The following 2 users liked this post by cebe:
alaris (05-16-2024), brianja (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 01:43 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Originally Posted by melhechi
Exactly how they posted that the 992.2 variant which was 8.7 seconds faster was the GTS based on calculation I made. The article was piblished after I created the below thread and added the calculation details. https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1411...urgring-7.html
I beg you pardon but what on earth are you writing about? Nothing related to my messages that's for sure..

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 05-16-2024 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:51 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Originally Posted by Zingerman88
While I'm unsure, a high-torque turbocharged 911 with a manual transmission seems unlikely. The existing Sport Classic already pushes the limits of the manual gearbox. Given this, a more powerful turbo with even more torque might necessitate a completely redesigned manual, which seems improbable.

A few years back, Harry Metcalfe proposed an interesting 911-lineup in his 992 Turbo video review. He suggested dividing Porsche's lineup into two categories:

GT Line: Featuring naturally-aspirated (NA) engines (with potential hybrid options). This line could offer a more engaging driving experience. Entry might be at a higher price point. The GT line would start with the "T" (possibly with hybridization)

Turbo Line: Featuring turbocharged engines (with potential hybrid options). This line would likely prioritize power and performance. It might offer a more accessible starting price. The Turbo line would start with the Base, S, GTS, (possibly with hybridization).

This approach offers several advantages including:
  • Increased buyer choice: Customers could choose between prioritizing driving experience (GT line) or raw power (Turbo line).
  • Lower entry point for GT cars: The GT line, despite a potentially higher base price, could offer a more affordable entry point into Porsche's high-performance segment compared to the Turbo line.
Metcalfe's concept is appealing, and it's interesting to consider if Porsche might be subtly implementing a similar strategy with their 992.2 current lineup.

I like what you're writing but how is this different from the current set up? Isn't the above pretty much how the current models are divided. There's a GT line and Carrera/Turbo line. What's the difference?
Old 05-16-2024, 01:52 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by adm63
I do find the front design really strange, very "toothy" between the vertical flaps and the hard edge ducts. The rear is harder to tell on black cars, havent really made up my mind I could be open to it but feels like minor changes overall besides the 991.2 style sport tailpipes. I dont mind those but I also like the GT2 style ones on the 992.1.
This may be the sport design package cause this is a Targa GTS. Also, the flaps are most likely 98% sure, automatic. So they'll be closed when you get out to take pics.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:56 PM
Zingerman88
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I like what you're writing but how is this different from the current set up? Isn't the above pretty much how the current models are divided. There's a GT line and Carrera/Turbo line. What's the difference?
For example, the "Turbo" lineup would look like (T means Turbo):

Carrera T, Carrera S/4S T, Carrera GTS T, etc.

For example the GT (NA) lineup would be like:

Carrera GT (Entry Level NA), Carrera GT3, Carrera GT3RS, GT2, etc.

Obviously my naming scheme is way off but hoping that it provides some clarity.

Last edited by Zingerman88; 05-16-2024 at 01:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 992.2 Info