Sponsored by:

Never thought I'd see this day, I initiated a buy-back claim with Porsche NA

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 08:04 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by The911Don
If they reimburse taxes/title/registration, that would be remarkable. I hope you get it.
Here in CA they legally have to as well. Whats interesting is that if you paid an ADM they do NOT refund that and you actually have to go after the dealer for that refund. Makes sense but ADMs en masse are a fairly recent phenomenon so according to my attorney its really freaking dealers out, especially those that charged ADMs on something like cadillac escalades that are having wide spread issues causing many many buybacks. Liability gets pretty big for those dealers.
The following users liked this post:
Icegrill (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 08:21 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

>> especially those that charged ADMs on something like cadillac escalades that are having wide spread issues causing many many buybacks. Liability gets pretty big for those dealers.
Ain't karma a b*tch?
Icegrill (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 08:50 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
Here in CA they legally have to as well. Whats interesting is that if you paid an ADM they do NOT refund that and you actually have to go after the dealer for that refund. Makes sense but ADMs en masse are a fairly recent phenomenon so according to my attorney its really freaking dealers out, especially those that charged ADMs on something like cadillac escalades that are having wide spread issues causing many many buybacks. Liability gets pretty big for those dealers.

You guys are discussing lemon law provisions. He is seeking a voluntary buy back.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:53 PM
2022_992
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts

Really really sorry to hear this. I can understand how gutted you feel. I placed my order in March '21, received my dream car in Dec '21. Since delivery, I have had a faulty PCM hardware detected in the first month. A faulty evap sensor that lit up the CEL twice. Most recently, a spoiler failure that failed for the second time. It's been 6 weeks and I still don't have my car back. The first time - it was in for 3 weeks, and they replaced a faulty spoiler control unit.

I absolutely love driving the car but have probably visited service every other month in the past 18 months of ownership. I finally stopped being emotional about it and I too, have finally reached out to PCNA and requested a replacement. I would be curious how your process goes - I am yet to hear back.

This was my original thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1361...xperience.html
remington (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 08:55 PM
Patrick Pigulski
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
I have another thread ongoing regarding my 2023 911 Carrera that I factory ordered and took delivery of in April here , but that was a technical thread involving the problem itself, and now things have changed, hence a new thread. In summary the surround cameras including the rear camera intermittently never worked, from day 1. Finally today after 3 attempts to fix it, replacing every camera and the camera control module, and almost 2 months in the shop, the dealer called and said the factory advised replacing the wiring harness. This involves extensive disassembly. The service advisor said, off the record, he would recommend initiating a buy-back rather than accept a new car like that, and I agreed. I made the call to Porsche NA, and started the process.

I know it's just a car, but some here I think can relate to the sadness I feel after spending 6 months on the configurator dreaming about it, 8 months waiting for delivery, and never having even a day with the car when it didn't have a problem. I know some will say just get it fixed, and that it's a trivial problem, but I don't want a new car that has been disassembled to that level for repairs, and emotionally having not even seen the car now in 2 months, it has stopped bringing me joy, which was the whole reason I bought it, to be a source of fun and joy in my life. And it has not been that.

My wife is telling me to order another one after the buy-back, assuming they cooperate, but I don't have it in me to go through all that again, not now. A 911 was a dream car on my bucket list, I guess I can say I checked that box, just not in the way that I thought I would.
im going through it with PADM issue. I bet you lunch Porsche will
turn their back

Old 09-13-2023, 09:56 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,448 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick Pigulski
im going through it with PADM issue. I bet you lunch Porsche will
turn their back
Hope not, will file a lemon law immediately if I get any pushback , and this is California they will lose.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:59 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,448 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
I empathize with OP, but I don't get how this is affecting you emotionally like this. It's a car. You just had bad luck. Walk it off and order another one.
Call me crazy but I'm a car enthusiast, these aren't just appliances to me, it's my passion, so I am emotional after having invested many hours of my life into spec'ing it and waiting for it. If it was a rental car at the airport I would walk it off.
The following 3 users liked this post by remington:
2022_992 (09-14-2023), Gr33n (09-21-2023), Staffie Guy (09-14-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 10:08 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,019 Posts

I've considered it but it troubles me to accept ownership of a brand new car, the interior which has been completely disassembled and then reassembled by a guy that may or may not know or care much about the car. Imagine the disassembly required to run a new wiring loom to the front, rear and side cameras. Every rattle and squeak I hear for the rest of my ownership, mentally I'm going to attribute it to this. I honestly wish it was the drivetrain, generally electrical issues are more difficult to fix and in this case require more disassembly than an engine failure. Certainly it has been more difficult to diagnose, they've spent the better part of two months replacing the system part by part.
I get that, but they’re on the hook for all this as warranty repair for several years. When the warranty runs out sell it. Dealer techs do engine out service and other nearly complete disassembly anyway. This isn’t unheard of, or even especially complicated. The factory guys aren’t magical unicorns assembling your car. This stuff is bolts, screws, tape and glue either way.

992.2 gen will be here in just a couple years. This is a pretty good excuse to get in early with another custom spec.
remington (09-14-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 10:41 PM
MXNSITH
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 56 Posts

Call me crazy but I'm a car enthusiast, these aren't just appliances to me, it's my passion, so I am emotional after having invested many hours of my life into spec'ing it and waiting for it. If it was a rental car at the airport I would walk it off.
I am with you. I'd be really disappointed and it would be an emotional feeling. Especially if this was your dream car.

I hope the buy back goes through. A thought.. Ask for MSRP and head of the line on whatever you want. Start the order now if it's a T or S. Ask for first in line MSRP on .2 GT3. Worst thing your dealer could say is no but it sounds to me like they are good folks. Give it a go!

Last edited by MXNSITH; 10-17-2023 at 11:46 PM.
remington (09-14-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 10:50 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
You guys are discussing lemon law provisions. He is seeking a voluntary buy back.
Correct, but he should know his rights. The manufacturer buy back process should mimick his states process. When I lemoned my truck, they made me an internal offer the day before state litigation and it mirrored the states laws.
Old 09-13-2023, 11:00 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 738 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
"There are no bad cars, only bad service departments". As I read all this it really seems the incompetent service dept is the root cause. Remember, today's technicians are non longer 'mechanics' - all they do is swap parts based on what the diagnostic tells them. What part of 'replaced the camera three times' isn't the definition of insanity, ie 'doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome'? Seems the crappy service department took a minor electrical problem (which is all this is) and made it 10 times worse. Any chance for a second opinion?
How, without intimate knowledge of the situation, do you know it's only a minor electrical problem? That said, taking it to a different Porsche service dept. is a good idea. When we break, a second opinion from another doctor is almost a reflex, so why not in a car too? After all, the 911 is probably even more complex than the human body at this point.
Old 09-13-2023, 11:10 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
"There are no bad cars, only bad service departments". As I read all this it really seems the incompetent service dept is the root cause. Remember, today's technicians are non longer 'mechanics' - all they do is swap parts based on what the diagnostic tells them. What part of 'replaced the camera three times' isn't the definition of insanity, ie 'doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome'? Seems the crappy service department took a minor electrical problem (which is all this is) and made it 10 times worse. Any chance for a second opinion?
I suggested that in the other thread, but it wasn't well-received. Ultimately it shouldn't be the OP's problem to run around to different dealers and service shops looking for a magical answer to a manufacturing problem, so I certainly respect the decision to turn it back in.

However, I speak from experience that makes this story sound pretty tame in comparison. My '92 968 was built at a time when the wall had just come down, and Porsche was evidently hiring cut-rate assemblers from the Trabant factory. And they sure as heck weren't offering refunds for wiring problems (if only because they couldn't afford to.) The dealer was helpless, even with direct factory technical support. I tried multiple dealers across the state, and eventually had to take my brand-new 968 to a local indy to get it repaired properly.

And you know what? While it was never very reliable, it was the best car I owned for the next 20 years. Yes, sticking with it paid off, but that's how long it took before I felt I could trust Porsche again.

The 981BS I bought in 2013 has been almost flawless, so go figure. At this point it's clear that the 981/991 cars were as good as the non-GT Porsches are ever going to get. I'd hang on to a 991 given how the 992 turned out, and I'd hang on the 992.1 given how the 992.2 is likely to turn out. But that's just me.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:11 AM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
well yea technically but the only reason they are doing the voluntary buyback is because they know I can lemon it on them…. So mine isn’t Lemoned but they’ve already agreed to voluntary buyback including taxes/fees/Wheelandtire plan/prepaid maintenance/etc… I can post the language from my letter if you are skeptical.
remington (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 02:04 AM
stonekutter
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry you have to go through this, best wishes towards the outcome you desire.
remington (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 02:16 AM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

That really and truly sucks, man. I felt a kinship with you from afar given that we are in the same part of the country and got our C2s delivered around the same time. I would have been crushed as well if our situations were reversed.

Given that wiring harnesses were sourced from Ukraine prior to the invasion, the new supplier may have a higher defect rate.
remington (09-14-2023)

Quick Reply: Never thought I'd see this day, I initiated a buy-back claim with Porsche NA