Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surround view cameras intermittently don't work

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023 | 01:36 AM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Biohazard
You guys are making me nervous on this option. It is something I want to get on mine once I get an allocation.
A small number of surround camera reports on a forum << Number of surround camera owners who never have an issue.

I have had my 992 for almost 3 years now, use my surround camera all the time. I've never seen this or if it happened it was brief and very intermittent, like the periodic PCM faults, so I don't even recall it.
Old 08-05-2023 | 03:40 PM
inthesticks
Racer

It happened to me once in a year of ownership. It was last week, I turned off the car and turned back on and it fixed it. There must be a software bug somewhere.
The following users liked this post:
KLOC (08-17-2023)
Old 08-16-2023 | 03:43 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Update from OP:
After waiting a week for the camera control module to arrive from California the dealer messed around with it for 2 days and determined it was defective. Now I wait another 10 days for another one to be shipped from Germany. As a reminder, I also received a defective replacement camera in a previous episode of this saga. Needless to say, the quality of Porsche OEM replacement parts at least in my case has been pretty poor. total time in the service bay so far about 21 days. Total number of days I have had a fully functional car in the first 4 months of ownership: 0.
Old 08-16-2023 | 04:14 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by remington
Update from OP:
After waiting a week for the camera control module to arrive from California the dealer messed around with it for 2 days and determined it was defective. Now I wait another 10 days for another one to be shipped from Germany. As a reminder, I also received a defective replacement camera in a previous episode of this saga. Needless to say, the quality of Porsche OEM replacement parts at least in my case has been pretty poor. total time in the service bay so far about 21 days. Total number of days I have had a fully functional car in the first 4 months of ownership: 0.
That sucks. Sorry to hear you're having such issues.

You aren't able to drive the car at all while waiting for the parts?
Old 08-16-2023 | 05:50 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Update from OP:
Not cool. I’m sure mine did the same thing and I just didn’t really pay attention to it anymore because of the infrequency I was driving the car.
Old 08-16-2023 | 08:40 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alin2
That sucks. Sorry to hear you're having such issues.

You aren't able to drive the car at all while waiting for the parts?
I can but the frunk/front end has been taken apart enough times that I said enough just keep it disassembled in the service bay waiting for parts.

And to be honest I've lost the fun of driving the car, not having a rear view camera is in and of itself not a big deal but I bought this car to be a source of joy in my life as a daily, and every time I drive it and try to park it and I get the errors on the screen and the cameras don't work, which is several times a day, it doesn't bring me joy. I don't want it back until it's a source of fun in my life again.

Last edited by remington; 08-17-2023 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-31-2023 | 01:44 AM
remington
Burning Brakes

Update, after another 2 weeks a 2nd camera control module (price from Porsche $4,500, covered under warranty of course) showed up, was installed, and dealer called me saying it was fixed. Total time in the service department this time, 24 days, total time in all about 40 days. Cameras haven't worked since delivery. For those keeping score I have had 2 cameras replaced and 2 now camera control modules. I arrived to pick it up so excited,. I hadn't driven the car in almost a month, started it up, put it in reverse to head home, all cameras failed to function, exactly the same problem. COULD NOT BELIEVE IT. I have been very patient with the service department, but I got angry. They were very apologetic. I'm back in my loaner car, an extremely underwhelming base macan on which I have driven 1500 miles over the course of the last 2 months. I am at a total loss. I waited 8 months for this car to be built to my spec, was so excited for it, it was supposed to be a fun experience for me, I've gone from telling myself it's no big deal, to being mildly annoyed, to the point where I now hate the sight of it. It's been nothing but a PITA with this stupid problem. I'm seriously considering lemon law-ing it. It already qualifies based on number of days being repaired.

Last edited by remington; 08-31-2023 at 01:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by remington:
johnrlucasjr (06-17-2024), pron (08-05-2024)
Old 08-31-2023 | 12:08 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Update, after another 2 weeks a 2nd camera control module (price from Porsche $4,500, covered under warranty of course) showed up, was installed, and dealer called me saying it was fixed. Total time in the service department this time, 24 days, total time in all about 40 days. Cameras haven't worked since delivery. For those keeping score I have had 2 cameras replaced and 2 now camera control modules. I arrived to pick it up so excited,. I hadn't driven the car in almost a month, started it up, put it in reverse to head home, all cameras failed to function, exactly the same problem. COULD NOT BELIEVE IT. I have been very patient with the service department, but I got angry. They were very apologetic. I'm back in my loaner car, an extremely underwhelming base macan on which I have driven 1500 miles over the course of the last 2 months. I am at a total loss. I waited 8 months for this car to be built to my spec, was so excited for it, it was supposed to be a fun experience for me, I've gone from telling myself it's no big deal, to being mildly annoyed, to the point where I now hate the sight of it. It's been nothing but a PITA with this stupid problem. I'm seriously considering lemon law-ing it. It already qualifies based on number of days being repaired.
This is brutal! I’m so sorry to hear. I might also be inclined to lemon law the car, but given the wait for replacing it no real acceptable solution. Your service department should be working directly with Porsche AG at this point for a confirmed solution. Hopefully PCNA can work with you and your dealer in providing an expedited build slot if you choose to go that route. Hang in there.
The following 2 users liked this post by Icegrill:
johnrlucasjr (06-17-2024), remington (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023 | 09:35 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

I'm sorry you're going through this and totally understandable how it's colored your ownership experience. Sounds like the service department hasn't found the root cause since consecutive critical failure of these type of electronics is pretty rare. I wonder if it's something in the wiring harness...although that would be weird that it's affected all your cameras.
Old 09-01-2023 | 02:33 AM
Autobacs
Racer

Originally Posted by Biohazard
You guys are making me nervous on this option. It is something I want to get on mine once I get an allocation.
You should get this option. It makes parking and backing into spaces so much easier

Old 09-01-2023 | 09:47 AM
adrianp89
Pro

While the cameras suck, it is still a worthwhile option. I wish they had an option for HD cameras. The first gen iPhone has better clarity. I wonder if it's a camera issue or software issue. Wouldn't be too hard to retrofit new cameras.
Old 09-01-2023 | 08:57 PM
Ontheboost
Intermediate

My 22 S Cab (3500 miles) has this problem and happens about 10% of the time as well. For me, a shut off and restart of the car does the trick. I wish it would work flawlessly but I think I just love the car so much and I enjoy driving it that I am able to look past it.

if that same behavior happened in my people mover (Audi Q5) I would be very irritated and on a mission to get it resolved at all costs.

I would still make the decision to option the car with cameras if I had to do it over again. I am paranoid about curb rash and backing in and out of my garage so, for me, it gives me piece of mind.
The following users liked this post:
jlegelis (09-01-2023)
Old 09-02-2023 | 01:46 AM
Biohazard
Racer

Originally Posted by Autobacs
You should get this option. It makes parking and backing into spaces so much easier
​​​​​​​It is one that I want. In my Macan I've gotten too close to curbs before. I have also not got as close as I'd like. Don't want that hassle with a 911.
Old 09-03-2023 | 12:38 AM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Can you secure another allocation and lemon law it once next one is on the way?
Old 09-03-2023 | 04:04 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

Time to try another dealer. The people you're working with clearly don't know what they're doing.

Don't write off the whole ownership experience because of one incompetent service department. That would be a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and one that could just as easily happen with any other marque. Do what you'd do with a persistent medical problem: get a second opinion.

Quick Reply: Surround view cameras intermittently don't work