Sponsored by:

Never thought I'd see this day, I initiated a buy-back claim with Porsche NA

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 12:35 PM
PorscheLover1963
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
They offered me their next allocation which is a C4S that locks in 3 wks, at MSRP. I told them no thanks. After having gone through this whole process over the course of a year I'm not feeling it right now., plus I ordered a Base for my reasons and don't really want a C4S. Maybe again after my head clears.
PCNA offered to expedite the allocation? Or your dealer mentioned they had a C4S slot available?
Old 09-21-2023, 02:49 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 575 Likes on 264 Posts

Glad to hear things are being resolved in your favor.

Good luck. Maybe drive a C4S and see if it tickles the right places.
The following users liked this post:
remington (09-21-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 05:31 PM
Boucherom
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Unless you are just soured on "Porsche", a 4S would be a great option! Glad you got the buy back, good luck.
remington (09-21-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 05:38 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 188 Posts

Update : 1 week after initially filing a buy-back claim with Porsche, I received a call saying the buyback had been approved. Original purchase price +taxes + the service contract I purchased. The car is still being repaired and in the outside chance it is repaired prior to finalizing the buy-back I have the option of accepting the car back and getting some as-yet unspecified compensation.
Good news, the special compensation could be the extended warranty I mentioned early in this dialogue. If so, I really think it's worth considering. My buddy got a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on his Turbo S when he had a transmission issue. Big value if you intended on keeping the car a while. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by Muhney:
adrianp89 (09-21-2023), remington (09-21-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 05:56 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Muhney
Good news, the special compensation could be the extended warranty I mentioned early in this dialogue. If so, I really think it's worth considering. My buddy got a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on his Turbo S when he had a transmission issue. Big value if you intended on keeping the car a while. Good luck.
This would be huge. Would keep that car forever lol
Muhney (09-22-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 06:23 PM
FType-R
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

I have another thread ongoing regarding my 2023 911 Carrera that I factory ordered and took delivery of in April here , but that was a technical thread involving the problem itself, and now things have changed, hence a new thread. In summary the surround cameras including the rear camera intermittently never worked, from day 1. Finally today after 3 attempts to fix it, replacing every camera and the camera control module, and almost 2 months in the shop, the dealer called and said the factory advised replacing the wiring harness. This involves extensive disassembly. The service advisor said, off the record, he would recommend initiating a buy-back rather than accept a new car like that, and I agreed. I made the call to Porsche NA, and started the process.

I know it's just a car, but some here I think can relate to the sadness I feel after spending 6 months on the configurator dreaming about it, 8 months waiting for delivery, and never having even a day with the car when it didn't have a problem. I know some will say just get it fixed, and that it's a trivial problem, but I don't want a new car that has been disassembled to that level for repairs, and emotionally having not even seen the car now in 2 months, it has stopped bringing me joy, which was the whole reason I bought it, to be a source of fun and joy in my life. And it has not been that.

My wife is telling me to order another one after the buy-back, assuming they cooperate, but I don't have it in me to go through all that again, not now. A 911 was a dream car on my bucket list, I guess I can say I checked that box, just not in the way that I thought I would.

**Update 9/21/23 1 week after initially filing a buy-back claim with Porsche, I received a call saying the buyback had been approved. Original purchase price +taxes + the service contract I purchased. The car is still being repaired and in the outside chance it is repaired prior to finalizing the buy-back I have the option of accepting the car back and getting some as-yet unspecified compensation.
these cars usually end up back on dealers' lots...

They will disclose the branded title/negitive Carfax and offer the car at a not very substantial discount.

As you know, they are best avoided.

That said, wouldn't let it stop me from getting another 911. I would pass on the option of taking the repaired car back as I don't think the compensation they are going to offer would offset the diminished value of the extensive service history.
remington (09-21-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 06:37 PM
brainzito
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by FType-R
these cars usually end up back on dealers' lots...

They will disclose the branded title/negitive Carfax and offer the car at a not very substantial discount.

As you know, they are best avoided.

That said, wouldn't let it stop me from getting another 911. I would pass on the option of taking the repaired car back as I don't think the compensation they are going to offer would offset the diminished value of the extensive service history.
Not really...In late 2021, I bought a "pre-owned" 992 base from P dealer in KY, only to found later (here on RL) that the car was bought back from the owner by the dealer at the directive of PCNA.
There's a lenghty thread here on RL about issues with motor mounts...that's the car and that's the previous owner. Zero record of it on carfax, and the buy back wasn't disclosed by the dealer in any way. There was nothing wrong with the car per se, but an annoying mechanical noise similar to what some people here have complained about re motor mounts.
I understand unless a true lemon law case, PCNA does not do buyback themselves, but through the dealerships.
Old 09-21-2023, 07:01 PM
Riptide
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

This was my 4th Porsche, but first that I have factory ordered. The other 3 had zero issues but I didn't have the emotional investment I do with this one, having spec'd it myself. It's been a gut-punch.
i get it….but it happens. One only needs to look at the quality surveys to know its a lottery. There still isnt a car thats quite as iconic as a 911 imho so with the market starting to flood
maybe take the money and “ go hunting” for one that checks MOST of the boxes. You ll find it.
remington (09-21-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 07:47 PM
FType-R
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by brainzito
Not really...In late 2021, I bought a "pre-owned" 992 base from P dealer in KY, only to found later (here on RL) that the car was bought back from the owner by the dealer at the directive of PCNA.
There's a lenghty thread here on RL about issues with motor mounts...that's the car and that's the previous owner. Zero record of it on carfax, and the buy back wasn't disclosed by the dealer in any way. There was nothing wrong with the car per se, but an annoying mechanical noise similar to what some people here have complained about re motor mounts.
I understand unless a true lemon law case, PCNA does not do buyback themselves, but through the dealerships.
On my recent search for a Targa GTS, I ran across a nice, low-mile Turbo S Coupe.

Dealer disclosed it was a PCNA buyback and had been repaired.

I would think they would have to disclose that, but I guess not.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:00 PM
reloader-1
Rennlist Member

Received 428 Likes on 127 Posts

The service advisor said, off the record, he would recommend initiating a buy-back rather than accept a new car like that, and I agreed.
You have every right to be upset, and I’m glad Porsche stepped up.

However… this is uncool. Someone honestly gave you good advice and then you post it, on the largest Porsche forum in the world? It takes someone from that dealer or from Porsche about 15 seconds to connect the dots. That poor service manager.
Old 09-22-2023, 11:34 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

They offered me their next allocation which is a C4S that locks in 3 wks, at MSRP. I told them no thanks. After having gone through this whole process over the course of a year I'm not feeling it right now., plus I ordered a Base for my reasons and don't really want a C4S. Maybe again after my head clears.
that is great news! you get your money back and you got an allocation slot, which i didn't think you would get. well done.

someone out there will have the opportunity to buy a fresh new freshly new wire harnessed car at $10K above MSRP 🙃.
remington (09-22-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 07:31 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,454 Likes on 520 Posts

Update : After 5.5 months since delivery and about 3 months total in the shop, the car has finally been fixed, by replacing the wiring harness in each door running to the side camera mirrors. It appears as though a small batch of harnesses were defective causing a fault that was not recognized by computer. Apparently also affects some Cayennes and possibly other Porsche models. When I picked up my car a newly delivered Cayenne GT was in the shop for the same reason. Porsche had already agreed to buy back the car, they were pretty easy to deal with, no lawyers involved, just me contacting PCNA and filing a claim. However given the relatively minor repair involving removing the door panels, I agreed to keep the car and they agreed to pay all my car payments thus far in ownership, which I think is very fair. The local dealer and service deparment were very supportive, we remained on very good terms and they kindly provided me with a Taycan for most of that time. When I went to pick up my car we had a little celebration and I brought them some Crispy Creme donuts.

If anything comes of this long thread I hope it's that anyone else affected by this fault can now communicate to their service advisor what the actual issue is, do not agree to replace all the cameras and the control modules, all of which are on back order and take forever to be shipped from Germany, it's the door wiring, which is also back ordered and took forever to be shipped from Germany LOL. Very happy to have my car back, I had almost forgotten what it was like to drive.

Last edited by remington; 10-07-2023 at 08:46 PM.
The following 37 users liked this post by remington:
3uros (03-21-2024), 981KMAN (10-07-2023), alin2 (10-07-2023), Autobacs (03-20-2024), cavemanmoore (03-22-2024), cbditty (11-01-2023), chance6 (11-05-2023), DC1960 (10-08-2023), evanbahr (03-20-2024), fxmixer (12-17-2023), gellie (10-08-2023), Icegrill (10-07-2023), itrocks4u (10-08-2023), JamesfromSG (10-30-2023), jhenson29 (10-07-2023), joydrive (10-08-2023), Larson E. Rapp (10-07-2023), laurenxesq (10-07-2023), Macboy (10-08-2023), mashoutposse (08-13-2024), meyecul (10-08-2023), michaelp (10-19-2023), MontBlanc911 (10-07-2023), Nein Eleven (10-19-2023), NickM (10-08-2023), null (10-07-2023), phefner (10-19-2023), por356 (10-08-2023), Ray K. (10-09-2023), rob929 (10-30-2023), RRich (10-07-2023), Schwarz992C4S (10-07-2023), Siso78 (10-30-2023), slwong23 (10-08-2023), tomtomtomtom (10-07-2023), txpackers (10-09-2023), Wilder (10-08-2023) and 32 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-2023, 08:12 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 575 Likes on 264 Posts

Great to hear! Glad they figured out the root cause and fixed everything.
The following 3 users liked this post by alin2:
Boucherom (10-07-2023), remington (10-07-2023), Schwarz992C4S (10-07-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 09:32 PM
laurenxesq
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

Update : After 5.5 months since delivery and about 3 months total in the shop, the car has finally been fixed, by replacing the wiring harness in each door running to the side camera mirrors. It appears as though a small batch of harnesses were defective causing a fault that was not recognized by computer. Apparently also affects some Cayennes and possibly other Porsche models. When I picked up my car a newly delivered Cayenne GT was in the shop for the same reason. Porsche had already agreed to buy back the car, they were pretty easy to deal with, no lawyers involved, just me contacting PCNA and filing a claim. However given the relatively minor repair involving removing the door panels, I agreed to keep the car and they agreed to pay all my car payments thus far in ownership, which I think is very fair. The local dealer and service deparment were very supportive, we remained on very good terms and they kindly provided me with a Taycan for most of that time. When I went to pick up my car we had a little celebration and I brought them some Crispy Creme donuts.

If anything comes of this long thread I hope it's that anyone else affected by this fault can now communicate to their service advisor what the actual issue is, do not agree to replace all the cameras and the control modules, all of which are on back order and take forever to be shipped from Germany, it's the door wiring, which is also back ordered and took forever to be shipped from Germany LOL. Very happy to have my car back, I had almost forgotten what it was like to drive.
Congrats on getting your car back. May I ask which dealer was it that was so accommodating. I noticed you are also in California. Thanks
Old 10-07-2023, 09:34 PM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MontBlanc911
Damn I am getting worried on my upcoming targa
My 2023 Targa GTS is rock solid. Worry about something else.
TheGeneral (10-08-2023)

Quick Reply: Never thought I'd see this day, I initiated a buy-back claim with Porsche NA