Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never thought I'd see this day, I initiated a buy-back claim with Porsche NA

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 08:49 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,442 Likes on 698 Posts

Sorry to hear about your situation, and if it happened to me, I would be just as bummed.

Good luck to you, and I hope you do not write off a 911 in your future.
The following users liked this post:
remington (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 09:19 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
I have another thread ongoing regarding my 2023 911 Carrera that I factory ordered and took delivery of in April here , but that was a technical thread involving the problem itself, and now things have changed, hence a new thread. In summary the surround cameras including the rear camera intermittently never worked, from day 1. Finally today after 3 attempts to fix it, replacing every camera and the camera control module, and almost 2 months in the shop, the dealer called and said the factory advised replacing the wiring harness. This involves extensive disassembly. The service advisor said, off the record, he would recommend initiating a buy-back rather than accept a new car like that, and I agreed. I made the call to Porsche NA, and started the process.

I know it's just a car, but some here I think can relate to the sadness I feel after spending 6 months on the configurator dreaming about it, 8 months waiting for delivery, and never having even a day with the car when it didn't have a problem. I know some will say just get it fixed, and that it's a trivial problem, but I don't want a new car that has been disassembled to that level for repairs, and emotionally having not even seen the car now in 2 months, it has stopped bringing me joy, which was the whole reason I bought it, to be a source of fun and joy in my life. And it has not been that.

My wife is telling me to order another one after the buy-back, assuming they cooperate, but I don't have it in me to go through all that again, not now. A 911 was a dream car on my bucket list, I guess I can say I checked that box, just not in the way that I thought I would.
they just probably didnt want to do the service repair.

it is so hard to find decent shops to have anything done.

it makes me laugh to see some of you think porsche will just make him a new car -- easy peasy. it doesn't work like that, not at all.

Last edited by tmslc; 09-14-2023 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:23 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlegelis
"There are no bad cars, only bad service departments". As I read all this it really seems the incompetent service dept is the root cause. Remember, today's technicians are non longer 'mechanics' - all they do is swap parts based on what the diagnostic tells them. What part of 'replaced the camera three times' isn't the definition of insanity, ie 'doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome'? Seems the crappy service department took a minor electrical problem (which is all this is) and made it 10 times worse. Any chance for a second opinion?
exactly.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:28 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 701 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by adrianp89
Depends on the state. In FL they legally have to pay for all fees, taxes, and accessories added.
How so? Is it a FL statute? Can you provide a reference, please?
Old 09-14-2023, 11:01 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

I would ask them to replace the harness. Should take less than a week. If it isn't perfect after that then initiate the buy-back
The following 3 users liked this post by eclou:
Boucherom (09-15-2023), remington (09-14-2023), tmslc (09-15-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 11:12 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 472 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
How so? Is it a FL statute? Can you provide a reference, please?
A quick google search would have worked. They also deduct for usage but also include interest paid on the loan. Here ya go:

https://www.myfloridalegal.com/lemon...tion-guideline
Old 09-14-2023, 11:22 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,455 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
I would ask them to replace the harness. Should take less than a week. If it isn't perfect after that then initiate the buy-back
They've working on it now. I'm waiting to see what PNA offers me in terms of buyout vs compensation.
Originally Posted by tmslc
they just probably didnt want to do the service repair.
They still have to do the repair. PNA requires that it be repaired if they're buying the car back.

Last edited by remington; 09-14-2023 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:31 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

They've working on it now. I'm waiting to see what PNA offers me in terms of buyout vs compensation.
OP

Is it possible for you to keep updating the first post with the latest. I feel like I'm missing some updates otherwise.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:36 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,455 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
OP

Is it possible for you to keep updating the first post with the latest. I feel like I'm missing some updates otherwise.
OK will do as long as my 1st post remains open for edits.
Old 09-15-2023, 12:13 AM
Rika from Tokyo
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

After reading about the situation with your Porsche, I truly feel saddened.

Purchasing a Porsche is about dreaming, patiently waiting for a long time, and finally experiencing the joy of having that dream in your hands. It's about all the happiness and expectations that come with it, envisioning a future where you live a happier life alongside your Porsche.

It's genuinely unfortunate that this situation has resulted in such a sad outcome. However, I hope that a good resolution is found for you in this matter, and that a brighter future awaits you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rika from Tokyo:
Icegrill (09-15-2023), remington (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 08:22 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

I've considered it but it troubles me to accept ownership of a brand new car, the interior which has been completely disassembled and then reassembled by a guy that may or may not know or care much about the car. Imagine the disassembly required to run a new wiring loom to the front, rear and side cameras. Every rattle and squeak I hear for the rest of my ownership, mentally I'm going to attribute it to this. I honestly wish it was the drivetrain, generally electrical issues are more difficult to fix and in this case require more disassembly than an engine failure. Certainly it has been more difficult to diagnose, they've spent the better part of two months replacing the system part by part.
992s are all rattle machines. it’s baked in the cake.

like others have said, it’s just a car … so drive it! the techs who do these things know the 911 owner so i am sure it will be done to spec.

and nothing is ever perfect. not ever.
remington (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 10:42 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

I had BMW buy back an Alpina B7. They got us a new M760 one model year newer, we only had to pay the difference in price between the M760 MSRP and the B7 original MSRP, I think it was $10K out of pocket.
remington (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 03:57 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by tmslc
and nothing is ever perfect. not ever.
Exactly. A perfect car would enrage the God(s), because perfection is something even they can't pull off. And now you've got real problems.

So it's better to put up with the occasional squeak and rattle, if that's what it takes to get your cameras working.
Old 09-15-2023, 04:10 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

A sure sign you have a lemon is service encouraging you down that path. I had the same suggestion from Ram for a luxury truck. Here in GA the lemon process is pre-paid and is simple as a hud pamphlet for house buying. Ram was so good about it that I bought another one. Yank the band-aid and try again later, or chill.
remington (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 04:46 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Your experience and that of many others myself included leads me to conclude that ordering as few electronic options as possible might enhance the ownership experience.
Base car which intrinsically excludes PTV and RAS.
I did not order night vision, adaptive cruise control, or sunroof to keep it simple.
I regret ordering sport chrono because at mile 530 the PADM failed and had to be replaced.
Even after replacement I still have the "rattling lumber" noise which will be permanent and annoying.

I understand and accept the intrinsic complexity of these cars, but why choose to pile more complexity on top of that, has been my personal conclusion.

In addition, ADM is significantly lower for the base car. For the amount of increased ADM compared to even an S, you could get paint to sample, which I did.

Quick Reply: Never thought I'd see this day, I initiated a buy-back claim with Porsche NA