Sponsored by:

New Nick Murray Video - S vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 07:35 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
That’s the problem though, there really isn’t any good referenced data or articles on break in procedures. You have the one Porsche employee from the factory in that article. Then just about every other Porsche person I’ve talked to or read from on the subject contradicts it. From AP to dealer sales/tech etc and Porsche’s own Experience Centers obviously don’t follow their own or any break in procedures. Porsche still CPOs them though so that has some merit in this conversation. Bottom line (like oil) do what you want and in the long run it will most likely mean nothing in the long term health of the car. There certainly isn’t any hard data on either.
Last November I was at PEC Atlanta for an afternoon delivery for my Panamera and we were there a bit late and the Track guys day was winding down when I noticed several of the Instructors hopped into some 911's and started doing laps. So I asked someone if they were just having fun, getting some practice, or what? Answer was they were putting break-in miles on the cars....which made zero sense to me, as others have pointed out, cars were flying around the Track all day. Only thing that made sense was that I had no idea which 911 was which at the time. So who knows what to believe.
Old 12-27-2022, 10:29 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 372 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
That's not how you set the rings Like I said, not trying to get into the whole debate here about break-in procedures (you can stay up late reading each side - my favorite one is when someone who knew someone was at the factory and got a lesson from Hans (I'm making up the names). ) - my point was and still is... when someone says "I trust the engineers at Porsche who wrote that" - it probably is not them who wrote that.....
Well, the Porsche engineers don’t write the actual manuals but they do give the standards and requirements to the technical writers to be translated into something that a layperson can understand in a multitude of languages. That being said, German engineers tend to be very exacting and conservative so they are taking into greater consideration the extremes of their manufacturing tolerance stacks (how loose/tight the oil rings, gear mesh, etc.) and their customer base (such as a German buyer who’s going to get on the Autobahn and do sustained high speed runs at max load /aerodynamic drag) when they are defining those standards and requirements, not to mention influence (both directly and indirectly) from Porsche’s legal and warranty claims teams.
Old 12-28-2022, 12:38 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,776 Likes on 5,141 Posts

RE break-in

Just do whatever makes you comfortable and happy.

Follow the manual (which varies from region to region by the way)? Go for it.

Follow what AP says? Sure, he seems like a solid dude.

Don't do any break-in? Why not, your car.

At the end of the day, I have yet to see any peer reviewed evidence that break-in is actually better for engine performance and/or longevity.

So just do what makes you happiest.

Your car ... you do you.
The following 5 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
CanAutM3 (12-28-2022), doug_999 (12-29-2022), minn19 (12-28-2022), srf409 (12-29-2022), Tupper (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 10:28 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 849 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
At the end of the day, I have yet to see any peer reviewed evidence that break-in is actually better for engine performance and/or longevity.
Totally agree - the only anecdotal evidence I saw was on the BMW 4.4L V8s (the N63). Those who broke their car in hard seemed to have significantly less oil consumption vs. those who played by the book. Now you can argue that that engine was a POS (it was!) or that this is purely anecdotal (it is) - but it is the only evidence I ever saw that said it might matter (other than the video below )

But back to your comment... here is a pretty good video that has a surprising result.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:11 AM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,640 Likes on 601 Posts

Well, this was an interesting experiment with a sample of two. It all depends on the time horizon.

I remember in the 1980’s we used to do Failure Mode Analysis, measuring the number of warranty repairs per 100 cars shipped and under warranty period. Then in the 90’s Japanese showed us how it’s done, with repairs per 1000 units. That was an order of magnitude diff! Today, most auto makers use six sigma methods with a target of 3.4 defects per million units. Please explain how the test with sample of two proves anything?

Is the warranty period over after the 1000, or 10000, or 100,000 miles? I suspect that the authors of the videos and posts above have a different time horizon in mind.

People that intend to keep their vehicle for 5-10-15 years without major problems will take better care of their cars. And let’s not forget that if the green lobby group wins, one of these days we will not be able to buy a new P-car with flat-6-motor and howl it, so well looked after vehicles will be highly desirable. Service and repairs records are online, it will be fairly transparent who used it properly and who abused it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pivot:
cwbrown (12-29-2022), Smirnoff67 (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 11:19 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Totally agree - the only anecdotal evidence I saw was on the BMW 4.4L V8s (the N63). Those who broke their car in hard seemed to have significantly less oil consumption vs. those who played by the book. Now you can argue that that engine was a POS (it was!) or that this is purely anecdotal (it is) - but it is the only evidence I ever saw that said it might matter (other than the video below )

But back to your comment... here is a pretty good video that has a surprising result.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpoglovyy_8
The GT350s Voodoo was seemingly the same way.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:21 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pivot
Well, this was an interesting experiment with a sample of two. It all depends on the time horizon.

I remember in the 1980’s we used to do Failure Mode Analysis, measuring the number of warranty repairs per 100 cars shipped and under warranty period. Then in the 90’s Japanese showed us how it’s done, with repairs per 1000 units. That was an order of magnitude diff! Today, most auto makers use six sigma methods with a target of 3.4 defects per million units. Please explain how the test with sample of two proves anything?

Is the warranty period over after the 1000, or 10000, or 100,000 miles? I suspect that the authors of the videos and posts above have a different time horizon in mind.

People that intend to keep their vehicle for 5-10-15 years without major problems will take better care of their cars. And let’s not forget that if the green lobby group wins, one of these days we will not be able to buy a new P-car with flat-6-motor and howl it, so well looked after vehicles will be highly desirable. Service and repairs records are online, it will be fairly transparent who used it properly and who abused it.
Nice, you went all sciencey/smart on us, then some leaps of logic with a dash of politics all in one post. You’ve got this internet thing down!

So hit us with your data that following the manual (which region?) supports your assertions. Also, what is your definition of abuse?
The following 2 users liked this post by minn19:
CanAutM3 (12-29-2022), doug_999 (01-07-2023)
Old 12-29-2022, 11:44 AM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by minn19
Nice, you went all sciencey/smart on us, then some leaps of logic with a dash of politics all in one post. You’ve got this internet thing down!

So hit us with your data that following the manual (which region?) supports your assertions. Also, what is your definition of abuse?
I don’t want to argue, I am just sharing my personal knowledge and industry experience to encourage usage that will increase the reliability of the vehicle over +100,000 miles.

I have many war stories and interesting details to share over a pint of beer, but not in a public forum. I don’t want to argue with quick-witted slicks.

Wishing you great motoring experience, while we can.
The following users liked this post:
cwbrown (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 11:49 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pivot
I don’t want to argue, I am just sharing my personal knowledge and industry experience to encourage usage that will increase the reliability of the vehicle over +100,000 miles.

I have many war stories and interesting details to share over a pint of beer, but not in a public forum. I don’t want to argue with quick-witted slicks.

Wishing you great motoring experience, while we can.
Yet you continue to argue………..
Old 12-29-2022, 12:58 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Hasn't this thread taken an interesting turn......
The following users liked this post:
doug_999 (01-07-2023)
Old 12-29-2022, 01:41 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 772 Likes on 367 Posts

love y'all but...
Old 12-29-2022, 01:54 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vicbastige

love y'all but...

handbags at noon? 😆
Old 12-29-2022, 02:05 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Per Mark Twain: “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
aggie57 (12-29-2022), NastyHabits (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 03:50 PM
Nibiru12
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Per Socrates: "Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have the answers."

I really don't like people quoting Twain quote whilst still arguing with each other...

So judgmental, so narrow minded, so snobbish, dishonest, delusional.... so American....

Old 12-29-2022, 03:58 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 772 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Nibiru12
Per Socrates: "Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have the answers."

I really don't like people quoting Twain quote whilst still arguing with each other...

So judgmental, so narrow minded, so snobbish, dishonest, delusional.... so American....
This thread is the bestest! You dress that fella down while at the same time insulting all Americans. C'mon man, do better. I would think we are all here because we share a common passion...across genders, generations and borders. It would be best for us all to focus on that commonality rather than passive aggressive posts that tear this place down...we should always consider this: WWNMD?

Quick Reply: New Nick Murray Video - S vs GTS