Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 06:14 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Estimated $401 million damage, $155 million to VW group.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/risk-model...071234901.html
The following users liked this post:
M3Inline6 (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 01:46 PM
arkansatarga
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Latest TYD update says they’re reordering those lost; no comments on whether changes to builds are permissible.

Old 02-23-2022, 01:50 PM
NYCGT3
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by arkansatarga
Latest TYD update says they’re reordering those lost; no comments on whether changes to builds are permissible.

I suppose it will depend on your build date. If you are fortunate enough to have an early slot, maybe not. I now have a 9/9 delivery, and was able to make changes..
Old 02-23-2022, 02:16 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

FYI:
Felicity Ace Fire is Out | Why Do Car Carriers Have Such Trouble? (autoweek.com)
Old 02-23-2022, 02:30 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 800 Posts

Further investigation is needed to determine how the fire started and if there’s a safer way to ship electric cars. Keep in mind, gasoline cars are far more likely to have fires than electric cars—60 times more likely for straight-up gas cars and 200 times more likely when you combine gasoline cars and hybrids compared to EVs.
This is interesting, and worth pointing out. I'm sure some of the die hard ev haters amongst you will call bs; nothing can be done about that. I have to assume this statement wasn't made without some research to back it. There's nothing unsafe about parking your ev in your garage. Millions of us do it every day.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:32 PM
GeorgeM3768
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told by my SA that Porsche is not allowing any changes of any kind as I had inquired if I could just change the paint color, nothing else. The reasoning he gave was that Porsche said that would allow them to expedite the orders and allow everyone to get their cars sooner. Please let me know if you hear differently or are able to make changes.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:37 PM
audimotion
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 24 Posts

My TYD updated this morning. Looks like I'll miss out on nearly a full season of driving....again.
I was really hoping porsche would have "prioritized" the replacement build/delivery quicker than 6 months. Unbelievable...

Last edited by audimotion; 02-23-2022 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:52 PM
CodyBigdog
On temporary vacation

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
This is interesting, and worth pointing out. I'm sure some of the die hard ev haters amongst you will call bs; nothing can be done about that. I have to assume this statement wasn't made without some research to back it. There's nothing unsafe about parking your ev in your garage. Millions of us do it every day.

I agree with the comments you quoted, but I wonder if the data was normalized by the number of gas and electric cars transported? That is, far more gas cars are transported than EV cars (for now)…I wonder if the conclusion considered that?

That said, it;’s way too early to suggest gas/EV cars were the cause. here are the most common causes: Some of the most common causes of ship fires include:
  • Engine malfunction – An engine that overheats or fails will often start a fire. This can quickly get out of control when the fire is exposed to oil or fuel.
  • Poor electrical wiring – Ships have significant amounts of wiring in tight and hard to reach places. Wiring that is damaged or improperly installed frequently causes a fire.
  • Kitchen Equipment – Careless or improper use of kitchen equipment can easily result in a fire. Cargo ship kitchens can be old, and the equipment can be damaged.
  • Combustible cargo – Cargo that can explode must be properly stored while at sea. However, this can be impossible if such cargo is improperly labeled.

Even a crew member throwing a cigarette into a pile of greasy rags has been found to be the source fir several ship fires.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-23-2022 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:56 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I agree with the comments you quoted, but I wonder if the data was normalized by the number of gas and electric cars transported? That is, far more gas cars are transported than EV cars (for now)…I wonder if the conclusion considered that?
I think they mean in general; not necessarily those being shipped. I assume there's some data out there on car fires by vehicle type. Quick google: https://ndakotalaw.com/do-electric-c...ered-vehicles/
Old 02-23-2022, 04:04 PM
CodyBigdog
On temporary vacation

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
I think they mean in general; not necessarily those being shipped. I assume there's some data out there on car fires by vehicle type. Quick google: https://ndakotalaw.com/do-electric-c...ered-vehicles/

Thx, any statistics that is not normalized by the size of the sample, miles driven, etc can be very misleadIng. I think the EV/battery industry has gotten a lot safer…especially as the numbers of EV’s on the road has explodes….so, I would also look at when the data was collected.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:43 PM
rangerfan94
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by audimotion
My TYD updated this morning. Looks like I'll miss out on nearly a full season of driving....again.
I was really hoping porsche would have "prioritized" the replacement build/delivery quicker than 6 months. Unbelievable...
Just to give some color to your comment above about prioritization. Note this is just me relaying a conversation, and this is not my opinion.

I placed an order for a C4S coupe last month, traded my car on the spot and got a contract the next day. I had a lock date of 5/19 and build date of 6/7. Talked to my dealer about what was going to happen with scheduling yesterday and he said they will not take the group of cars lost and move them as a group to the front of the line. His reasoning made sense. Those who have cars that were lost are already pissed for something outside of Porsche control. They (Porsche and the $tealership network) don't want to then get a call from people like me who bought a car based upon build date (I bought based upon date) who would be pissed because they were pushed back significantly because of the loss. Of course, things changed a bit today. My order date, which was 1/19, now shows as 2/22 on TY\D. Lock date is now 5/11 (8 days earlier than original). Production date is now 6/10 (7 days later). All else remains the same, including loading onto a boat on 7/1.

As to the cars sitting at the port for extended periods, my $tealer offered that most of those are likely there not waiting for a spot on a boat, but rather waiting for a part that can be easily fitted at port that did not impact the ability to build the car on the line. Your car won't sit at port waiting for an Aero Kit or PCCBs (they won't build those until parts are in hand), but it could easily sit there waiting for some trim bits, or a power steering column, etc. But of course, this is not news to anyone here. He told me of a Cayenne Turbo GT that I was in the showroom a month ago. Car was sold and was unable to be delivered because they were waiting for, get this, the carbon fiber winglets on either side of the rear spoiler. I saw the car in the corner of the dealership and spent a lot of time looking at it and couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going on with the rear spoiler. I learned about the lack of CF parts then. This same owner (I think it was the same owner, I could be mistaken) was waiting for a set of winter rims and tires that was shipped, via FedEx air freight, overnight, from Germany. The cost was astronomical. And then the wheel set sat there in customs awaiting release...for almost a month.

These are indeed unique times in which we find ourselves.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:55 PM
joedughman
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

Was your build on the Felicity or are you saying the 6 month delay for your car is b/c of the rebuild for the destroyed cars?
Old 02-23-2022, 05:23 PM
JPR_2022_992
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is so disappointing. I had a 992 on this boat and was hoping for a June delivery if they were going to prioritize production. My TMD was cleared out by Porsche and am still awaiting a new commission number. I may not get a car until September. Disappointment is turning to frustration quickly.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:40 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

My car was not on the FA but regardless I can’t understand why replacement cars can’t be supplied faster than what those reporting with cars on the ship are hearing from Porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by icanthelpit:
audimotion (02-23-2022), JPR_2022_992 (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 05:55 PM
tomingrassia
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 49 Posts

My first build (2021 992 C2S manual) suffered a engine failure on delivery. Never even took the car home. Ordered another, same build, then Felicity Ace goes up in flames. Now gotta wait until late season to take delivery. I live in MN, and store my cars during winter, so nearly another full season down the drain.
Similar to Nick Murray!

Quick Reply: Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic