Sponsored by:

Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 11:58 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,335 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
Carlo, I was not aware other states were already doing this.
Living in California, I have grown accustomed everything bad starting here first!

Are you aware of what people are doing for workarounds for ECU tunes?
Do you (or anyone) know whether flashing back to the factory setting using something like Cobb Accessport is successful?
In other words, I and I think many enthusiasts wonder whether if smog testing shows the telltale evidence of flashing, even if there is not a checksum problem, would still cause a fail?

I did read in a Ford forum that the workaround in California is going to be for group of people to share a stock ECU and pass it around to be installed just for the smog test, and then removing it and swapping back in the performance tuned ECU... not that I'm advocating that just to be clear!
How would that work; I would imagine the ECU records mileage, and odometers won’t be corresponding.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:30 AM
JJTan
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Last edited by JJTan; 08-30-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:37 AM
HashTag
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MQuattlebaum
Any other mods or bone stock plus the tune? Anyone verified the claimed gains? It seems pretty substantial for a tune alone...
Originally Posted by Tupper
Care to share more details about the experience installing as well as what you noticed while driving?
No other mods - other than BMC high flow air filters.

The process was simple really. After placing your order M will overnight you a USB cable and a ODB2 dongle. You just download the M-Tuner software. The M-Tuner software will then generate a unique ID of your car which you just need to email to M. Now - in case M has had the ECU ID before, expect the files within a couple of hours. In my case, the ECU ID was unknown to M so they had to build new maps - this took 24h. The map file then you load with M-Tuner to your car - takes a little less than 6 minutes. Then first start - I'm not gonna lie - is scary. My car threw all kinds of codes and the idle was really rough. This is however documented in the "How-To" from M. The codes can be cleared used M-Tuner and then just let the car sit for 5 minutes idling.

The "feel" of the tune is immediate. I'm NOT coming from stock - I had the JB4 (claimed +60hp) - and there's WAY more power. What I like personally, you don't have to work for the extra power - there's a mountain of torque right from low rpms. Revving it just adds to that. There's now hole over the range or anything. No stutter, no shacking and the transmission just goes with the "flow'. The reason why I'm mentioning this is because I had tunes before (not Porsche) that did add nice power - but always had some stutter etc. a certain rpms. This is not the case here ....

I'm not getting paid by M (I wish I was .. lol) but man ... this tune ROCKS!!

The following 4 users liked this post by HashTag:
991.1 Guy (08-30-2021), Kurac (08-30-2021), MQuattlebaum (08-30-2021), Tupper (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 01:24 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

^ Wow. Very tempting. Thanks for sharing your experience
Old 08-30-2021, 01:49 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by HashTag
No other mods - other than BMC high flow air filters.

The process was simple really. After placing your order M will overnight you a USB cable and a ODB2 dongle. You just download the M-Tuner software. The M-Tuner software will then generate a unique ID of your car which you just need to email to M. Now - in case M has had the ECU ID before, expect the files within a couple of hours. In my case, the ECU ID was unknown to M so they had to build new maps - this took 24h. The map file then you load with M-Tuner to your car - takes a little less than 6 minutes. Then first start - I'm not gonna lie - is scary. My car threw all kinds of codes and the idle was really rough. This is however documented in the "How-To" from M. The codes can be cleared used M-Tuner and then just let the car sit for 5 minutes idling.

The "feel" of the tune is immediate. I'm NOT coming from stock - I had the JB4 (claimed +60hp) - and there's WAY more power. What I like personally, you don't have to work for the extra power - there's a mountain of torque right from low rpms. Revving it just adds to that. There's now hole over the range or anything. No stutter, no shacking and the transmission just goes with the "flow'. The reason why I'm mentioning this is because I had tunes before (not Porsche) that did add nice power - but always had some stutter etc. a certain rpms. This is not the case here ....

I'm not getting paid by M (I wish I was .. lol) but man ... this tune ROCKS!!
Thanks for sharing your experience thus far. Can you speak to whether the bulk of the gains are coming from timing or are they adding additional turbo boost? Also, what engine temps have you noticed after a spirited pull? Thanks.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:24 PM
MQuattlebaum
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

For those of you that have tuned Porsches in the past (I haven’t) what level of additional stress does this put on the engine, turbos, etc? I talked to a shop that works with M-Engineering regularly and they stated that M-E tunes are “safe” and don’t push the engine “to the limit”, etc.

Essentially, do tuned turbo Porsches (especially with this level of gain) see engine trouble, failed turbos, etc. relatively quick?
Old 08-30-2021, 03:29 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

For those of you that have tuned Porsches in the past (I haven’t) what level of additional stress does this put on the engine, turbos, etc? I talked to a shop that works with M-Engineering regularly and they stated that M-E tunes are “safe” and don’t push the engine “to the limit”, etc.

Essentially, do tuned turbo Porsches (especially with this level of gain) see engine trouble, failed turbos, etc. relatively quick?
Nobody knows yet. But, in general, people who tune their cars tend to race them which is harder on any engine.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 03:42 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,576 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheObsessed
Thanks for sharing your experience thus far. Can you speak to whether the bulk of the gains are coming from timing or are they adding additional turbo boost? Also, what engine temps have you noticed after a spirited pull? Thanks.
More boost with timing and other parameters adjusted for optimization.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:46 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, a tune like this will increase wear and tear on the mechanicals. How much so comes down to how hard the car is driven. One things that needs to be adjusted is service intervals. Generally a car with tune will require more frequent spark plug and fluid changes. Usually plugs should be changed in 2/3 of normal un-tuned interval. Fluid change intervals are hard driving dependent. More hard drives, more fluid changes.

If the proper maintenance is followed engine and turbo life can reach normal mileage without failure. Porsche builds these engines to last.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 08-30-2021 at 03:48 PM.
reddsektor (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 03:52 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Yes, a tune like this will increase wear and tear on the mechanicals. How much so comes down to how hard the car is driven. One things that needs to be adjusted is service intervals. Generally a car with tune will require more frequent spark plug and fluid changes. Usually plugs should be changed in 2/3 of normal un-tuned interval. Fluid change intervals are hard driving dependent. More hard drives, more fluid changes.

If the proper maintenance is followed engine and turbo life can reach normal mileage without failure. Porsche builds these engines to last.
I think that, and the fact that I have a manual, is why I would prefer a tune of 50-60 whp gain than some of the other options, unless I am wrong that a more modest increase would be ultimately less stressful on the car.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:54 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I think that, and the fact that I have a manual, is why I would prefer a tune of 50-60 whp gain than some of the other options, unless I am wrong that a more modest increase would be ultimately less stressful on the car.
Yes, clutch slip and wear can be an issue with higher HP.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:15 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Yes, clutch slip and wear can be an issue with higher HP.
New clutch plates on a Corvette was no big deal. I wonder how big/expensive of a job it is on a 992?
Old 08-30-2021, 04:59 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
New clutch plates on a Corvette was no big deal. I wonder how big/expensive of a job it is on a 992?
Not much different. The tricky part is finding a clutch assembly that handles the power and still fells good to you. With the older generations of 911s folks have worked this stuff out already. Eventually people will find the correct clutch mechanical formula with tuned 992s.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:03 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

I am not saying that tunes at this level will not be reliable. At the same time if turbo rpm is being pushed higher to make the elevated boost, then more fatigue is going into the rotating elements. You cannot see fatigue building up. It will simply manifest itself as an abrupt failure IF it occurs. I suspect the rest of the engine is very stout for US road usage since it must hold up on the autobahn when run very hard. Low restriction induction and exhaust systems are one way to limit turbo rpm needed for a given power target.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:58 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Manual equipped cars are generally more reliable and easy to deal with than PDK or DCTs or automatics. Those transmissions are very expensive and is not as easy to upgrade the clutch. Manuals tend to be easier to upgrade. Plus, the fact that Porsche no longer allows you to do hard launches off the line in a manual means even less stress and wear and tear on the transmission. PDK OTOH has programmed in very quick gear changes and you have no control how those gear changes take place other than selecting drive mode. Manuals, you can shift as fast or leisurely as you want while giving full throttle in each gear. You can be very gentle on the trans or slam through the gears. How much stress you put on the car is completely up to how hard and fast you powershift the car. I just hit 1000 miles and ran thru 1-2-3 at full throttle shifting hard in each gear. It does seem to put quite a lot of stress on the car b/c the rear traction is so prodigious, instead of peeling out at the upshift, the car sort of just thunks and gives a slight tire chirp. I would imagine with more power, the rear tires would break free much more easily, but you can also choose not to shift as aggressively and save your car from having any driveline shock. Once the car is in gear and clutch fully engaged, it can easily take and hold 100+ hp and lb/ft of torque. it's during shifting at redline where the most wear/tear occurs to clutch and transmission gears, etc. as you slam through the gears.

So, the bottom line is, with a manual, I'd want as much power as possible because it won't affect durability any more negatively than PDK and likely would last longer on a manual. Plus, manuals are inherently slower than the DCTs so you'd want as much power as possible to make up that deficit in performance.
3rdpedal (08-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?