Sponsored by:

Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 11:36 AM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
When I was a young, stupid street racer and high performance cars came with 250 to 300 hp stock, tuning a car was a no brainer. You would be able to improve the performance of your 13.5 to 14 sec 1/4 mile car into a low 13 sec or high 12 sec car. That felt immensely faster than stock and was very satisfying. It may sound pedestrian today, but with zero traction control, these cars were quite dangerous even with only 250-350 wheel hp.

Today's cars, like even a 992 S that does 0-60 in the low 3s and low 11 sec 1/4 mile times, are just straight up bonkers. And there really is no point in tuning the car. I'm reading this thread because I've tuned every single turbocharged car I've ever owned so naturally assumed I'd tune my 992. But, after going for another drive in my S and making a couple of full throttle acceleration runs thorugh 2nd gear, for now, I have no desire to tune it. It gets me in more than enough trouble completely stock... and I am somewhat jaded by speed as I've been driving a tuned M3 for the last 6 yrs. The 992 feels quicker b/c it has massively more traction, yet is so much more in control than my M3.

Maybe once I get used to the performance of my 992, I may consider tuning it after a year or two. But it's really not needed. Sadly, speed has become a commodity and it no longer requires tons of money or mods to go fast as even 100% stock cars are ridiculously quick... much more than the vast majority of the population can and should handle without attending a high performance driving school.
Excellent point that acceleration and speed have indeed become commodities diminishing the need for a tune.
Indeed AP and Gordon Murray have pointed out that the future of sports cars is going to be far more about making them light than powerful.
Gordon Murray has certainly put his money where his mouth is (… Lots of money) making his cars light.
He worships at the altar of Colin Chapman... And his daily driver is a Renault A110.

Unfortunately, making a car lighter is a lot more difficult than tuning a 992.
The only really easy decisions for me are aftermarket carbon ceramic brakes (Surface Transforms) and avoiding options that add weight.
Lithium battery is also an easy decision although since my car has been ordered with RAS, the decision has been made for me by Porsche.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:19 AM
JIMMY JAMES
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

I have a different take on this.
Just say you dream of a 992 Turbo S manual, a car Porsche doesn't make.
Of course, the PDK suits the car very well but, rowing your own gears with that much power would be a laugh.
So...you could...buy a 992 GTS manual with lightweight package and carbon buckets.
Call in Litchfield or some other reputable tuner.
What a beast that would be.
I'm a 981 GT4 owner and must admit almost 400hp is enough for me for my use.
But...the idea of a big power 911 with a manual and those epic seats...that's quite compelling...and very different to the direction most manufacturers are going - dual-clutch only.
I guess the only question is...would the manual gearbox take the power?

The following users liked this post:
991.1 Guy (10-03-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 09:56 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMMY JAMES
Of course, the PDK suits the car very well but, rowing your own gears with that much power would be a laugh.
So...you could...buy a 992 GTS manual with lightweight package and carbon buckets.
But...the idea of a big power 911 with a manual and those epic seats...that's quite compelling...and very different to the direction most manufacturers are going - dual-clutch only.
It should or at least could. There are other manual cars with much more power (C7 Z06) where the manual transmission handles the power perfectly well even in the face of quarter mile launches on drag slicks.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:24 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

I just had an email exchange with the folks at APR. Here is what they said.

Yes, our 992 is currently in calibration. I have no ETA or date of release for the tune yet but we are hoping to have it released sometime in the near future.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:40 PM
4 Rings
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaye Bass
I just had an email exchange with the folks at APR. Here is what they said.

Yes, our 992 is currently in calibration. I have no ETA or date of release for the tune yet but we are hoping to have it released sometime in the near future.
Ive had that same conversation a dozen times over the last year. They have been “working” on this for over a year now. Not sure what the hold up is.

Ive had APR on numerous cars in past, never had a single issue. I did however decide to go with the M-Engineering tune this go around because of ability to flash back to stock at any time, on my own time.

But back to APR I have a feeling they might have more work on their plate across the board in general focusing on vehicle tunes that bring more $ due to the sheer volume of flashing done on VW’s and other cars.

my $.02
Old 10-01-2021, 05:05 PM
Mikey K
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 21 Posts

Of the places offering tunes do we know if any don't show when a dealer connects to the car?
Old 10-01-2021, 06:05 PM
4 Rings
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 118 Posts

Hard truth, No.

you can flash back to stock before taking in and it will seem fine. No harm no foul. But if you blow a motor, PCNA is going to want to know why. They will dig into the car and find engine values outside there programming and they will know. No way around that.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:25 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMMY JAMES
I have a tuned manual 992 S with a few other mods and stock turbo's making around 600hp(crank), it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it : )
The following 2 users liked this post by mac10:
991.1 Guy (10-03-2021), JIMMY JAMES (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 03:46 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Wow, I seriously don't know why anyone would need to tune a TTS. Is it not already fast enough? Are you trying to make sure you can get away from the cops? LOL

The 992 Carerra S is already plenty fast, lets not kid ourselves. We're all already worried about being able to even use this power on public roads without getting in trouble. But tuning a TTS just sounds........ABSOLUTE NUTS!
Tuning is not about increased hp only. I tuned my TTS too and the refinements in throttle response, improved shift points and power early and throughput the rpm range are gained. So not NUTS at all.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:33 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by mac10
I have a tuned manual 992 S with a few other mods and stock turbo's making around 600hp(crank), it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it : )
This is what I want!
I love my car in every way it just needs 100 hp!

Last edited by 991.1 Guy; 10-03-2021 at 06:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
M3Inline6 (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 07:24 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
This is what I want!
I love my car in every way it just needs 100 hp!
I have said that with just about every car I have owned. Except my ‘88 930 cab. That Jekyll and Hyde big single turbo could be terrifying.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:33 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Rings
Ive had that same conversation a dozen times over the last year. They have been “working” on this for over a year now. Not sure what the hold up is.

Ive had APR on numerous cars in past, never had a single issue. I did however decide to go with the M-Engineering tune this go around because of ability to flash back to stock at any time, on my own time.

But back to APR I have a feeling they might have more work on their plate across the board in general focusing on vehicle tunes that bring more $ due to the sheer volume of flashing done on VW’s and other cars.

my $.02
APR is always conservative wrt timelines. It took them two years to crack the Bosch ECU on my old B9 S4.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:49 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,594 Posts

APR does great tuning because they are very thorough and detailed. They take the time that is needed to do it right. Their off the self stage 1 tunes for the 991.2 were well worth the wait, super potent.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 10-04-2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:10 PM
but did you die
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 106 Posts

After a year of daily driving my 992 Cab S its feeling far too slow. How quickly we get spoiled!

I too have been harassing APR about their 992 tune on social media. APR has owned a shop 992 for over a year now and already has a great base of knowledge on the platform from their 991.2 tuning experience. Crazy its taking this long. Last week they responded to me saying they hope to have it released "before the end of the year".

Old 10-14-2021, 04:15 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

I installed this tune a few weeks ago. Amazing performance and very simple to install. I can also reload the stock tune. No need to send in your ECU. It just works.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1265...-flashing.html

Quick Reply: Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?