Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 11:13 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,566 Likes on 567 Posts

This is very simple.

If warranty of your vehicle is a primary concern, tuning may not be for you.

That being said, the uninstall files provided with M-Tuner take you back to a true stock and we have yet to run into any issues with anyone taking their cars into the dealer. If you enjoy modifying your 911, like to party, and like fast(er) cars, M-Tuner may be for you then.

-Charles@M
The following 4 users liked this post by M Engineering:
AlterZgo (04-13-2022), badtoro99 (03-15-2024), Go Bruins (04-13-2022), Tupper (04-13-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 11:17 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by turbonator
In Audis there is a "flash counter" that goes up each time the ECU is updated so the company can detect if any unauthorized updates have occurred. I would be surprised if Porsche software doesn't track this also.
Ok, so you have no proof Porsche does this?

Thought so.

Also, as described by the tuner, they are capturing an image of the memory and replacing that image. Any counter saved in that memory would have been restored to the prior value.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:26 AM
22CarreraS
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 19 Posts

Just like hooking up with a crack ***** in Vegas, tuning your car is a personal choice. If you are worried about warranty, don’t do it, but also, don’t try to save us from ourselves. We know what we are doing and the risks involved. I bought the car knowing I would tune it. See ya behind me…..
The following 4 users liked this post by 22CarreraS:
badtoro99 (03-15-2024), citrolene (07-10-2022), james6speed (01-21-2023), WAM (04-13-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 11:28 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,513 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
This is very simple.

That being said, the uninstall files provided with M-Tuner take you back to a true stock and we have yet to run into any issues with anyone taking their cars into the dealer. If you enjoy modifying your 911, like to party, and like fast(er) cars, M-Tuner may be for you then.

-Charles@M
I sure can agree with both statements and its simple as you said. If you are okay with the fact your warranty may be voided - go for it. My previous tuner also claimed they had never any issues with 1000's of tuned cars...until I experienced it first hand. Also, the talk about dealers covering warranty for tuned cars - that would be great, hope there is no fine print. My AMG dealer said the same about downpipes, tunes etc....until something broke they could not fix on there own and needed corporate support, that is where it all ended.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:37 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

M-Engineering:

If you enjoy modifying your 911, like to party, and like fast(er) cars, M-Tuner may be for you then.

Epic response! Just outstanding!
Old 04-13-2022, 12:40 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

This is very simple.

-Charles@M

Quick question - and not to take anything away from you or your product as in my decades of being on different car enthusiast boards, M Engineering seems to have set the high bar standard for both the quality of their tune and amazing customer service. So now the question: if PNA or the dealer wanted to look for the tune (and no reason why they would if all looks up an up), could they not look at the history of the parameters that the car was running at to determine that the car could not have operated at those levels without a tune? Again, this is just a question for my education and not a challenge to the product as I fully agree that anyone overly concerned about the warranty probably should not be getting a tune.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:19 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

I’m starting to benchmark my stock (no tune, no down pipe, stock exhaust) 992S, RWD, before I do the tune…, so went out to our local airport (there is a infrequently used access road that runs parallel to one of the runways).

I wanted to measure 0-60, 1/8 mi and 1/4 mile, but unfortunately, at the longer distances, I was on a stretch of the road that had a slight upgrade, which produced: “invalid run”.

Nevertheless, I was able to get two valid runs to 60mph. First was 3.22 sec and the second was at 3.11 sec. Road was dry (but not very smooth/in good condition), with temp at 70F. I’m pretty happy with the runs, and is what I see in most of the reviews, but think on a smoother road, and cooler, etc, I can do better. Quickest time I have seen for this car is 2.9x sec.

With the tune, and 150+ more hp, I would think times approach 2.6-2.7 sec.? Anybody with an M-Tune done any testing?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-13-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:36 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,566 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
Quick question - and not to take anything away from you or your product as in my decades of being on different car enthusiast boards, M Engineering seems to have set the high bar standard for both the quality of their tune and amazing customer service. So now the question: if PNA or the dealer wanted to look for the tune (and no reason why they would if all looks up an up), could they not look at the history of the parameters that the car was running at to determine that the car could not have operated at those levels without a tune? Again, this is just a question for my education and not a challenge to the product as I fully agree that anyone overly concerned about the warranty probably should not be getting a tune.
ECU's do not store datalogs or parameters of sensors after you revert to a stock file, everything is reset including other modules.

-Charles@M
The following 3 users liked this post by M Engineering:
peterdouglas (04-13-2022), rk-d (07-04-2022), VarTheVar (05-23-2023)
Old 04-13-2022, 04:24 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

ECU's do not store datalogs or parameters of sensors after you revert to a stock file, everything is reset including other modules.

-Charles@M
Cool! Thanks.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:45 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,503 Likes on 938 Posts

This is very simple.

-Charles@M
Thank you Charles. For me, the issue is “WHEN”, not “IF”. The warranty will eventually expire so that issue resolves itself sooner or later. Between now and then, I will gradually add Soul headers, Soul sport cats and a tune. Just a question of timing ……….and a sufficient bank account to do it.
The following users liked this post:
Go Bruins (04-14-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 09:54 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,503 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
presumably your “Premier” dealer is not waiving any right to claim that warranty terms have been violated?
is that correct? and, if so, what does it matter that they “have no issues” with tuned cars, particularly since the dealer can easily prove the tuning modification if they applied the tuning?
Correct Peter. The warranty is not administered by the dealer. It is administered by Porsche NA. Porsche NA and the individual dealer franchises are separate and distinct legal entities. The dealer cannot bind Porsche NA to anything. However, having the Porsche dealer in your corner and advocating strongly on your behalf with Porsche NA is a substantial plus.
Old 07-10-2022, 05:38 PM
DU HAST
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still running the tune? Any issues? Any warranty issues? Any recommendations on best tune?

20 992 C2 with Redstar Race Cats, Tube exhaust and annoying check engine light.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:55 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by DU HAST
Still running the tune? Any issues? Any warranty issues? Any recommendations on best tune?

20 992 C2 with Redstar Race Cats, Tube exhaust and annoying check engine light.
it is my opinion that any tune will need an upgrade to the intercooler system because the stock system can’t keep up with the extra heat generated from the increased boost and turbine speed. Any dyno gains will be short lived in real world driving.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:39 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
it is my opinion that any tune will need an upgrade to the intercooler system because the stock system can’t keep up with the extra heat generated from the increased boost and turbine speed. Any dyno gains will be short lived in real world driving.
I think it really depends on where you live, whether you track your car, how you drive, etc. I have not run into any issues with heat soak driving my tuned 992S here in hot as ***** AZ even when temps are consistently 100-110+. If you don’t track your car, it is extremely rare you will be driving your car hard enough to cause heat soak. These cars are insanely fast and even more so tuned. If you’re cruising at 40 mph, 3 seconds of foot to the floor acceleration on surface streets will land you in jail. 10 seconds of hard acceleration on the fwy will get you to over 150 mph. Honestly, none of us should be overtaxing the stock intercooler during real world driving, unless your real world driving includes tracking the car and/or driving in autocross events or running 1/4 mi drag runs or high speed mile long events.

While not the same car, I noticed the same thing with my tuned M3. The stock intercooler was remarkably effective in the hot summers here in AZ and tests of aftermarket intercoolers showed them to be less effective or marginally better. I replaced mine with an aftermarket unit only after my stock one started leaking.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
Andy2021 (07-11-2022), tourenwagen (07-12-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 05:29 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I think it really depends on where you live, whether you track your car, how you drive, etc. I have not run into any issues with heat soak driving my tuned 992S here in hot as ***** AZ even when temps are consistently 100-110+. If you don’t track your car, it is extremely rare you will be driving your car hard enough to cause heat soak. These cars are insanely fast and even more so tuned. If you’re cruising at 40 mph, 3 seconds of foot to the floor acceleration on surface streets will land you in jail. 10 seconds of hard acceleration on the fwy will get you to over 150 mph. Honestly, none of us should be overtaxing the stock intercooler during real world driving, unless your real world driving includes tracking the car and/or driving in autocross events or running 1/4 mi drag runs or high speed mile long events.

While not the same car, I noticed the same thing with my tuned M3. The stock intercooler was remarkably effective in the hot summers here in AZ and tests of aftermarket intercoolers showed them to be less effective or marginally better. I replaced mine with an aftermarket unit only after my stock one started leaking.
I guess you are right. I usually have my foot to the floor more than 3 seconds. I can feel the power go away after the second or third hard pull. I agree with you that occasional acceleration will not heat soak the intercoolers, Spirited driving for more than a few minutes will, at least in hot and humid Florida!

Last edited by 991.1 Guy; 07-11-2022 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?