Sponsored by:

Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 03:19 PM
but did you die
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
phaser, I'd gently suggest that you are reading too much ill-will into other people's posts. We're all just talking cars here -- it's all good. For what it's worth, I'd say it IS 'nuts' to tune a 911 Turbo S, but it's equally nuts for Porsche to build a 640hp street car in the first place. I'm not judging anyone by saying that. Nobody "needs" that kind of power, of course, but lots of us love it anyway. I built a 500rwhp 944 Turbo, and have a 992TTS on order. I'm right there with you on power, and I'm proud to be a little "nuts" about it. Everyone, put the gloves down please. That's an official request.
Well said

If Porsche is nuts for making a 640hp sports car what do you call Tesla for making a family sedan that will do 8s the 1/4!? When your neighborhood soccer mom in her Model S Plaid leaves your new 992 TTS for DEAD you too might be considering that tune
The following 3 users liked this post by but did you die:
ggreg911 (02-10-2021), tez2013 (02-05-2021), Traind (02-05-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 03:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,777 Likes on 5,141 Posts

I've said this before, aside from putting your warranty at-risk with a tune, the other thing most people don't consider about a straight-up power tune is that Porsche designed the 911 to drive and perform as a car with all of its components (suspension, chassis, power, steering, brakes) functioning as a synergistic whole.

While tuning the car for more power, will certainly make it faster in a straight line, what happens when you want to turn? Or stop?

This is why folks like Manthey (for Porsche) or Manhart or Dinan (for BMW) have better approaches to "tuning" stock cars, because they take a more wholistic approach to upgrading the car -- from ECU to suspension to brakes and additional aero.

Tuning just for horsepower is a bit like taking a supermodel and just giving her a breast job taking her from a 36-24-36 to a 56-24-36. If that floats your boat, I suppose go for it.
The following users liked this post:
Pcar81 (07-22-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:12 PM
but did you die
Racer

Thank you captain obvious

No one said you should not upgrade other components to accompany the increase in power, its just not the topic we are discussing here.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I've said this before, aside from putting your warranty at-risk with a tune, the other thing most people don't consider about a straight-up power tune is that Porsche designed the 911 to drive and perform as a car with all of its components (suspension, chassis, power, steering, brakes) functioning as a synergistic whole.

While tuning the car for more power, will certainly make it faster in a straight line, what happens when you want to turn? Or stop?

This is why folks like Manthey (for Porsche) or Manhart or Dinan (for BMW) have better approaches to "tuning" stock cars, because they take a more wholistic approach to upgrading the car -- from ECU to suspension to brakes and additional aero.

Tuning just for horsepower is a bit like taking a supermodel and just giving her a breast job taking her from a 36-24-36 to a 56-24-36. If that floats your boat, I suppose go for it.
ggreg911 (02-10-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by but did you die
Thank you captain obvious

No one said you should not upgrade other components to accompany the increase in power, its just not the topic we are discussing here.
Really?

Maybe you, but I think the majority of folks who do an ECU tune simply stop there.

Otherwise, why do you hear this type of mantra repeated over and over like it's gospel: "Why get the S when you can get just the base and tune it and have even more power than the S"
Old 02-04-2021, 04:30 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Unfortunately tuning a stock vehicle still under warranty seems to be a hot button for some guys.
A profound increase in engine power may at some point make suspension and brake mods a consideration if running at the limits while tracking etc.
A 100/100 bump although very noticeable is really not going to make these brake and suspension mods anywhere close to mandatory.
I have added 100HP or more to Corvettes, Shelby GT500s, etc. and had plenty of brakes and suspension for my purposes but these become personal preferences.
The braking configuration on a stock 992 can easily handle what it has thrown at it with 100 more HP.

Last edited by phaser; 02-04-2021 at 04:32 PM.
ggreg911 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 06:10 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 426 Likes on 181 Posts

While you guy are discussing validity of tunes, I am at Sebring PCA 48 Hr , trying to wrap my head around !70 mph at 4 cones at turn 17!

also, one big mod for track, 265/325 Dunlop Race Max 2s, perform perfectly.

Last edited by Karl911; 02-05-2021 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Add comment
Old 02-05-2021, 08:48 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
A profound increase in engine power may at some point make suspension and brake mods a consideration if running at the limits while tracking etc.
A 100/100 bump although very noticeable is really not going to make these brake and suspension mods anywhere close to mandatory.
I have added 100HP or more to Corvettes, Shelby GT500s, etc. and had plenty of brakes and suspension for my purposes but these become personal preferences.
The braking configuration on a stock 992 can easily handle what it has thrown at it with 100 more HP.
I think that if you increase HP in this car by less than 100 I imagine it’s designed to handle it without any other changes.

I was really thinking about doing a tune some day but some of the concerns brought up about detonation, air fuel ratios, etc now have me spooked a bit. I can live with the decision voiding my warranty, but I always assumed that most tunes that don’t go overboard (ie under 100 hp gain) won’t really do much harm to the engine. Now I’m beginning to reconsider
Old 02-05-2021, 09:15 AM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
I think that if you increase HP in this car by less than 100 I imagine it’s designed to handle it without any other changes.

I was really thinking about doing a tune some day but some of the concerns brought up about detonation, air fuel ratios, etc now have me spooked a bit. I can live with the decision voiding my warranty, but I always assumed that most tunes that don’t go overboard (ie under 100 hp gain) won’t really do much harm to the engine. Now I’m beginning to reconsider
Glad you did the research. I am now more confident that the AMR ECU upgrade has minimal chance of hurting my car. I don't push my car and will never track it. I just like the umph and the improved performance that makes the Porsche 992 more fun.

Performance is the key
Old 02-05-2021, 12:52 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
Glad you did the research. I am now more confident that the AMR ECU upgrade has minimal chance of hurting my car. I don't push my car and will never track it. I just like the umph and the improved performance that makes the Porsche 992 more fun.

Performance is the key
Yes, I'm in this camp also. Will never run my car on the track and am just looking for a bump in the seat of the pants(SOTP) feel which is torque. I'm not really concerned with a maximum HP increase at the redline nor am I looking for a "dyno sheet" with bragging rights, nothing wrong with any of that, just not for me.
An 80 or 90 ft. lb. torque increase through the rpm range where the car is most often driven is in reality what most of us will value and enjoy on a daily basis.
Piggy backs like the JB4 can do this very simply as well as provide logging and monitors afr, timing, throttle position, and many more for an added level of safety.
GermanInOhio (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 03:49 PM
but did you die
Racer

Do you street those dunlops or are they track only? Do they make that road whine like the R888s?

Originally Posted by Karl911
While you guy are discussing validity of tunes, I am at Sebring PCA 48 Hr , trying to wrap my head around !70 mph at 4 cones at turn 17!

Old 02-05-2021, 04:08 PM
but did you die
Racer

Originally Posted by Tupper
Analysis paralysis my man. I'll give you a dollar if you can find one documented blown 911 3.0TT engine from tuning. I dug through these forums extensively, as well P***** boost and have yet to find one. People tend to vent on forums a lot more than gloat so logic dictates if there were problems you would here about them. There are some stock internal 991.2 3.0TTs putting down 700whp and still running strong. Your PCM is likely to crash and burn long before your engine LOL

Do you know what engine has multiple blown/failure threads on though? GT3/RS engines...
Old 02-05-2021, 05:53 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911

Are you saying you hit 170 mph between T16 and T17? What kind of car are you driving?
Old 02-05-2021, 06:08 PM
Traind
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Now that's a very big tune!

But your point about balancing the dynamics of the car is well taken... it's a Porsche hallmark!

Old 02-05-2021, 06:24 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Traind
Now that's a very big tune!

But your point about balancing the dynamics of the car is well taken... it's a Porsche hallmark!
so does that mean Porsche has ****ty brakes and suspension? A Z06 with 200 more hp stops as well or better and corners as well or better. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Old 02-05-2021, 06:27 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
so does that mean Porsche has ****ty brakes and suspension? A Z06 with 200 more hp stops as well or better and corners as well or better. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Right, but that's stock.

Not a Z06 with a tune.

Quick Reply: Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?