Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 05:34 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by tourenwagen
How did the yellow seatbelts hold up? I always worry they will look dirty over time.
I had no issues with mine, but could see how any lighter color could get dirty over time. Vinyl belts should clean up easily if needed though. I have a 2010 997 with sand beige interior and belts and they still look pretty clean.
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (12-09-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 05:36 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,640 Likes on 601 Posts

My speculation is that Carrera T is the last model, before 992.2 release in 1Q2023.

The C2T model is specced well and is used to flush-out the unsold options, stored in the parts bins across the manufacturing plant.

So, while Porsche is clearing the plant in prep for new model, we can enjoy well specced vehicles at a good price. What’s not to like?
The following 3 users liked this post by Pivot:
rokkerkory (12-08-2022), savethemanuals82 (12-08-2022), tourenwagen (12-09-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 05:37 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Corkdsp
911 T Allocations. Anyone have any updates on allocations projections for 2023. Two dealers in my area (Florida) both told me they expect to have and have received 1 allocation for all of 2023 model year. Being #2 on the list I should expect 2024 model year car unless something changes and more are released.

Very frustrating... then I talk to some dealers outside my area... and they act like no problem getting a 2023 and happy to put me on their list asking for deposit. Which is true? I tend to believe my local dealers that I have relationship with. Why so few 911 T being produced?
I am #3 on my dealer’s list and I was told to expect 2024. I don’t think dealers really know, though. And of course nothing will stop them from acting like they do. If I get an allocation, I’ll have to see if PTS is available *and* if I still want the car. I’ve owned numerous 911s and GT#s over the past 20+ years, but I find I am tiring of the games. Not angry, just noticing my passion is less able to combat the charades. Meanwhile, I’ve received two more emails from Porsche congratulating me on my new car.
The following 5 users liked this post by FORENN:
adm63 (12-08-2022), Ethos_of_the_T (12-08-2022), HerrDr (12-08-2022), Porsch (12-08-2022), savethemanuals82 (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 05:46 PM
HerrDr
Pro

Received 1,075 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by FORENN
I am #3 on my dealer’s list and I was told to expect 2024. I don’t think dealers really know, though. And of course nothing will stop them from acting like they do. If I get an allocation, I’ll have to see if PTS is available *and* if I still want the car. I’ve owned numerous 911s and GT#s over the past 20+ years, but I find I am tiring of the games. Not angry, just noticing my passion is less able to combat the charades. Meanwhile, I’ve received two more emails from Porsche congratulating me on my new car.
Do you congratulations e-mails tell you what kind of car it is? haha. Mine says: "Congratulations on ordering your with Porsche. " My what? But that was way back in October.
tourenwagen (12-09-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 05:54 PM
adm63
Pro

Received 896 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by HerrDr
Do you congratulations e-mails tell you what kind of car it is? haha. Mine says: "Congratulations on ordering your with Porsche. " My what? But that was way back in October.
I remember getting an email like that, did it have a link to a video from the PCNA ceo or something like that? I saw a few others on here get that email too, I think it was just a form they sent to anyone they have in their system, so including demand orders etc.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:00 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by FORENN
I actually got an old school letter of congratulations in the mail. Also completely non-specific about what car it was for.
Scott P (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 06:01 PM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3,277 Likes on 729 Posts
Default introducing me and my 992 T

Hello guys. And some wife’s are reading as well I heard. I have been reading here since a month and had many occasions I wanted to add something to the discussions. But unfortunately I was not able to register due to some spam filter issues so just gave up one moment. Kept on reading here and enjoying the discussions. But just needed to say some thing maybe helping some people along with their decisions. I am from Europe and my T will be produced in week 10.

This is all not intended as facts. Just my own experience. But I have enough driving experience in Porsches and am hopefully able to explain how I feel about some things. Hope it will not be a TLDR. For those who skip reading: I am on the T camp. But hate the cars that seem to be specced as an S. The ethos also got me. Albeit not in a way I cannot chose any options. I want the full leather option. But I hate to pay extra for the T package. I have the glass sunroof. Reason is I hate the dark interior so any light is welcome for me and I love to open the roof and hear the exhaust a bit more. And we all know the actual weight saving is not very effective. But it’s just the idea right? That makes it so special.

Of course I went for the manual. If you want PDK just go with the 450pk Carrera S. 95% of the Carrera S is sold as a PDK so the Carrera T is never a real competition for the S. When you go for manual that is. Why settle for less brake horse power if you chose the PDK right? So with the manual the T is in a league of its own. Reason for me being there is certain bhp limit where a manual can hold up. Go to far and the PDK does the job better. Stay under that and the manual gives more satisfaction. Its not about the speed of shifting but the fun. Want more speed go for PDK but go for more horsepower. The T is just there with its 385bhp and its enough for us. More than enough (or just tune it). Especially without the rear seating. Of course I did not order the rear seats. Without the rear seats the Carrera T is like a baby GT3 touring. I just love it. Of course when you have kids I can understand you order them. Or if you pay for the T interior package might as well get it all what you paid for. I understand all this. But having no rear seat is something a purist just loves.

Comparing it to a Cayman seems strange. I don’t want a 2 seater, I want a 911 without rear seats. So I can use those seats for my stuff when driving on a road trip. Not possible in a Cayman. And I also wanted the adaptive sport seats because I want to fold the seat easily to stuff things behind them. But also because the car is a semi-daily car and my wife needs to be able to drive it and the bucket seats in my previous car were not really very easy to get in and out. Also the driving character of a mid-engined car is totally different than that of a 911. So for me every comparison stops there. Of course the engine is a killer. Cannot easily beat an atmo engine. But I have my reasons to like the turbo more as my semi-daily.

I want my 911 to behave like a RWD car, like a BMW. Being able to let the rear move in a corner. This is not possible or at least not easy in a Cayman. The Cayman is planted because of the weight ratio being mid engined. Just like a GT3 is planted because it’s designed for the track not for drifting. You can drift but that is not its purpose. And you have the Carrera 4 and 4S: both make the 911 much more planted. I read someone not noticing much difference. But the difference is huge when you drive them on the limit. Those cars are planted and feel like the car is on rails.

This is also the case with RAS (Rear Axle Steering right? Or else I am using the shortcut wrong). This makes the car more direct and planted on the road. Therefore a Carrera 4(S) with RAS makes a lot of sense. A planted car making it even more planted. This is the case for the GT3 and Carrera 4 and 4S and also the S with RAS. All planted cars driving on rails. Just like the Cayman. But do I want that? That’s just all personal taste. But you have to know what RAS does when ordering. In my head RAS just did not fit to the T ethos. I read here that all the reviewers were positive. Yes they were. But I have not heard a single reviewer driving them side by side and testing them with one another. So how sure can we be? It surely wasn’t logical in my head. A standard Carrera S with RAS. Just go for the 4S and add the RAS there makes much more sense.

But we are not here to read about theory. So 3 weeks ago we went testing. The 992 4S with RAS. The 992 S with RAS and the 992 S without RAS. 3 friends with 3 cars with one goal: testing the difference between these 3 cars. But let’s start from the beginning if we are talking about more than just theory. My own Porsche experience from which this post was written. My friend had a Cayman S and Cayman GT4 so I have driven thousands of miles in them. Brilliant planted cars. Less playable in the corners. Created to go fast and sharp around the corner and not so much playing at the limits of understeer/oversteer. Just drive hard and push hard and you have a very planted chassis. Utterly brilliant. Less playable. To each his liking.

2 years ago I bought my first Porsche the 991.2 T with manual, rear seat delete and no RAS. Brilliant car. Should have never sold it. But after 9 months went for the real dream car: a 991.2 GT3 PDK. Like I said before no manual because 500bhp is too much to handle when you shift yourself. I am a true manual lover. But the bhp limit is really there. You cannot compete in an engine that is designed to run perfectly in high revs. So as much as I am a manual lover the PDK was clearly the only option for my GT3. Of course I tested them both before buying. But I needed a bit more daily car and sold the GT3 after 8 months and went for the 992 4S PDK after that and driving this car currently. Perfect daily. Too perfect maybe. Not involved as much as I wanted. But a true sportscar as every 911 is.

So I have had the luck to own different 911 cars. And drive a lot of Caymans. But I personally missed something and always missed my T. It was a bit of a mix for good daily use. But having the fun driving with a manual. Like the best of both worlds. As much as I loved the 9000rpm engine: the sound was not something to use as a daily. It could get pretty annoying sometimes. I am not talking about the 9000 revving of course, but I mean the normal daily use. So for that usability the turbo engine was more suited. A deeper bass sound and less annoying when driving normally. But no matter how good the 992 4S was as a daily car, I missed those early mornings moments when you wake up just before sunset going to the toilet and when ready cannot decide whether I wanted to go back to my bed or wanted to go driving. I had this with the manual 991.2 T and the GT3 PDK but not with the 992 4S PDK. Those useless driving moments were just not there with the 992 4S. So to me it was all clear when 1 month ago the 992 T was announced and every doubt I had about which car would be best suiting me was suddenly solved: the T was reborn!

So back to testing the RAS with my friends. I just explained all this above to try to let you know something about my experience with driving and owning Porsches. Not only my theoretical nonsense. Because I did not have faith in all the reviewers and wanted to check how my theoretical thoughts would turn out in real life. I have 2 friends with the other mentioned 992 S cars with and without the RAS. And to me it was very clear that RAS is intervening the driver too much. Yes the steering angle when turning is shorter and yes it feels more direct. But that was not my reason for chosing the T. I chose the T for pure driving pleasure without too much interference from the car. Just me driving it. No power steering plus. No nothing. And I do not want my car to feel to planted, I want some playing room in the corners, not a car on rails.

So chose to your own liking. There is no good or bad. But my advice to go test them out and make the decision upon testing them. But no way I was going to spend money on RAS after testing it. I trully hated it. It made the car feel fake and elastical. I tested the car specifically in roads where the speed differs from 40-80km/h. And I heard that around 50/60 speed the wheels change their angle radius. So from opposite side steering to same side steering. Sorry for not explaining this perfectly since English is not my main language. But that changing interval from one to another felt really fake and annoying and sometimes even dangerous. If you know how to drive you don’t want intervention. There was this elastical feeling in the steering wheel I did not like. Very very clearly!

The Carrera 4S with RAS was clearly the most safe and planted car to go fast easily. The S with RAS felt elastical and electronical to me. The S without the RAS felt the most close to my liking of driving-fun without interference.

I am not advocating for the one or the other. Just making clear you don’t need to trust other drivers but make a choice based on your own wishes. If you like playing around with a car more and you don’t like intervening don’t go for the RAS. You will not like the elastical power input in your steering wheel. But if you are not so much of a driving and playing at the limit guy or you just want your car to feel more planted and on rails: go for the RAS. But just make sure you test it out if you have no prior experience with it. And try it on twisty roads with relative low speed corners when the wheels are changing axle-directions.

Hope you all find my first introduction here not too long and boring. If something needs explaining just let me know.

And finally my spec as ordered and production week 10:

992 T manual
Guards red
Rear seat delete
Sport-Tex square leather (black)
Steering column chasing in leather
Adaptive sport seats plus
Glass sunroof
Red seatbelts
Red dial and red chrono
Sport seat backrest in exterior color
No privacy glass (so I can see that last option)
Race-Tex roof lining
Race-Tex steering wheel and stick
Race-Tex sun visors
Race-Tex armrest with Porsche crest
90l tank
PDLS plus
Park Assistant
Exclusive design taillights
Electric folding mirrors
No RAS
No power steering plus

I know. So much of that T ethos. But as explained you will not really feel the weight difference. I thought about all these options very long. If necessary or if there are questions I can explain them in detail or help people out if they are doubting about certain options or combos. I went for the dark black look interior with no contrast stitching. I had this in all my other cars (and loved it!) but just wanted something else now so the red dials and seatbelt would pop out. So black interior with black stitching seemed most logical. Also not the sport design package. I have it on the front now of my 4S so wanted a different and more pure look. And thus saving some money of course.

Last edited by Macboy; 12-08-2022 at 07:08 PM.
The following 16 users liked this post by Macboy:
6sigma (12-08-2022), Bearrun21 (12-24-2022), Ethos_of_the_T (12-08-2022), FloraFauna (12-09-2022), Gregonater (12-08-2022), HerrDr (12-08-2022), IPA1 (12-08-2022), james6speed (12-08-2022), jonbek (01-10-2023), Porsch (12-08-2022), shane_b (12-08-2022), SupraSaiyan (12-27-2022), Taffy66 (12-09-2022), tourenwagen (12-09-2022), XrussianX (12-09-2022), Ørjan (12-09-2022) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-08-2022, 06:02 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma
I'm thinking how to bring in a little bit of the racing yellow exterior color into the interior. In my 991 T (also yellow) I had the yellow T interior package with yellow stitching, sport tex seat centers and belts. It looked good but sometimes I felt like it was a little too much yellow. On the 992, I'm thinking yellow belts and/or the sport chrono dial. What do you think?

Looks good, but might be a bit much with the yellow exterior. But if you’re bold enough for a yellow car, then a “bit much” is probably just about right. I’m planning on yellow stitching, dials and belts, but with a blue exterior.
Macboy (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 06:11 PM
savethemanuals82
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys are making me look boring with Chalk and full leather with white dials and black seat belts... but I did get interior trim painted in exterior color... but I'm ok with that... good for you guys
The following 2 users liked this post by savethemanuals82:
balucipher (12-08-2022), Macboy (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 06:29 PM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 6sigma
I'm thinking how to bring in a little bit of the racing yellow exterior color into the interior. In my 991 T (also yellow) I had the yellow T interior package with yellow stitching, sport tex seat centers and belts. It looked good but sometimes I felt like it was a little too much yellow. On the 992, I'm thinking yellow belts and/or the sport chrono dial. What do you think?
I love it. I had yellow seatbelts in my GT3 and they did not get dirty after 25.000km. I love the yellow seatbelt with yellow chrono but would advice you to add the yellow dial as well. Full yellow stitching could be too much I agree. For that same reason I did not order it (and saved money). I would much more prefer contrast stitching if the outside color was different. So yellow car with yellow seatbelts goes fine. Yellow car with yellow stitching and yellow seatbelt could be too much. I had it on my 991.2 T in red. Guards red with red seatbelt and red stitching. I loved it. But it was indeed too much. But if you have a GT silver or Gentian blue car and then do all those yellow elements it would not be screaming. Perfect contrast. Don’t you just love how all the options are there for anyones taste?

Last edited by Macboy; 12-08-2022 at 07:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Macboy:
6sigma (12-08-2022), tourenwagen (12-09-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 06:38 PM
james6speed
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 100 Posts

Just talking to my buddy in Germany 🇩🇪. He's presented me with the Germany delivery experience. I might do it, if the timing is right. Has anyone else on here done this and how much time do they give you to plan for it?

https://www.porsche.com/usa/motorspo...opeandelivery/
tourenwagen (12-09-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 06:58 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,195 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by adm63
I remember getting an email like that, did it have a link to a video from the PCNA ceo or something like that? I saw a few others on here get that email too, I think it was just a form they sent to anyone they have in their system, so including demand orders etc.
The email I received was titled "Your dream 911 is one step closer to reality", with the PCNA ceo video and an invitation to set up a Porsche ID. Within the body of the email it didn't call out the model.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:10 PM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
I’m planning on yellow stitching, dials and belts, but with a blue exterior.
That is a perfect combination. I had a blue GT3 with yellow callipers and yellow details inside. Love your choice!
The following 2 users liked this post by Macboy:
balucipher (12-08-2022), bluelines1974 (12-09-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 07:34 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Macboy
I love it. I had yellow seatbelts in my GT3 and they did not get dirty after 25.000km. I love the yellow seatbelt with yellow chrono but would advice you to add the yellow dial as well. Full yellow stitching could be too much I agree. For that same reason I did not order it (and saved money). I would much more prefer contrast stitching if the outside color was different. So yellow car with yellow seatbelts goes fine. Yellow car with yellow stitching and yellow seatbelt could be too much. I had it on my 991.2 T in red. Guards red with red seatbelt and red stitching. I loved it. But it was indeed too much. But if you have a GT silver car and then do all those yellow elements it would be less screaming. Don’t you just love how all the options are there for anyones taste?
I may do the yellow dial too - and I agree the yellow belts look good and hold up well. Thanks for your info on RAS. I have been looking for a good review of cars with and without RAS. I have also wondered if RAS makes the car more fun and playful or does it make it more serious and faster (or all of the above). RAS does make it an objectively better car (faster lap times, better turning radius) but I've seen little info on the subjective factors. Porsche did make the non-RAS steering more direct in the 992 vs 991.

I've wondered, as a thought exercise, what if Porsche offered a power steering delete option - back to a manual non-assisted rack and of course no rear steer. Parking and slow speed maneuvers would be a real pain, but you'd get the old school feedback and control. Would everyone suddenly say you are not following the Ethos if you have power steering?
Macboy (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 07:48 PM
savethemanuals82
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by james6speed
Just talking to my buddy in Germany 🇩🇪. He's presented me with the Germany delivery experience. I might do it, if the timing is right. Has anyone else on here done this and how much time do they give you to plan for it?

https://www.porsche.com/usa/motorspo...opeandelivery/
Sounds awesome. Can't imagine it's much better than the Atlanta PEC - unless you're going to drive around Europe after, and limited by the under 4000 RPM or whatever the break-in guidelines are... but then you have to wait for it to be shipped across the Atlantic...

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club