Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 06:07 PM
Gregonater
Advanced

Received 143 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Macboy
All I can say is congratulations to your spec. I love the details that you chose such as blue exterior with the blue seatbelts. Also the chalk/white stitching with the white dials. Believe me that this is a beautiful combination that will work 100%. To me works much more than chosing blue stitching. The nice thing is you are chosing a deviated stitching color that is also offered in the T interior package. But in that package you cannot chose the other colored seatbelts so you must have done this intentionally and you are clearly a pro to me.

What you need to know is that with the deviated stitching package this means that the full door leather stitching is in that color. Whereas on the normal leather extended package the upper doorpart is chalk stitching but the mid part is black stitching. Also the steering wheel and armcrest stitching is black. On your version the stitching is fully chalk so also on the steering wheel and armcrest. This makes it so nice and custom! But because the upper and midpart of the door is chalk stitching I would personally also order the door trim package in leather for the bottom part of the door as well as the inner door sill guards. So I would advice you to order the extended package leather as well.

I personally did not want this on my T but I have them on my 4S because I have deviated stitching there as well. But you would need to accept a more luxury T version. I can understand this feels to much for you. The only thing I want to end with and can recommend to everybody is the steering column casing in leather. This is really cheap and goes well with your chalk stitching on your steering wheel. One last thing is that I am missing the Porsche logo on the armcrest. No problem if you don’t want it, just wanted to let you know.
Thanks for the input! I think ideally i could just get partial leather with deviated stitching on the seat and steering wheel but now that I'm all the way here I think you're right and I should consider going even further...It's really easy to get carried away on these options. Even if I go "too far", as long as I keep the car manual with rear seat delete, and a solid roof I will feel like I have maintained what makes the T special to me. (I'm not too concerned with what T means to other people, I just want a manual, special 911 that I can afford)

Last edited by Gregonater; 12-09-2022 at 06:08 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gregonater:
Ethos_of_the_T (12-09-2022), HerrDr (12-09-2022), Macboy (12-10-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 08:08 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

I agree with a lot of things but wanted to let you know that I just made the trip with the 992 S RAS, 992 S no RAS and 992 4S RAS and these were 3 different cars! To other people it may seem like 3 times a 911. But to a serious driver those are 3 completely different feeling cars. And not marketing.
Good to have some real driver feedback!
Old 12-09-2022, 09:36 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,513 Posts

almost at 2500 posts; Porsche's product marketing team must have earned their Xmas bonus by now!
The following 5 users liked this post by aggie57:
mdrobc1213 (12-10-2022), Multimodal (12-10-2022), rokkerkory (12-10-2022), Scott P (12-10-2022), tourenwagen (12-10-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 11:06 PM
Oileater
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
I was with you until the end. A S (even a gussied up one) is not a Lexus with a Porsche badge.

People are really downplaying the rear seat delete here, but Porsche really changed the dynamics and hurt T sales when they shoved the 4.0 in the Cayman/Boxsters. I had that exact situation come up when I bought my first Porsche. There was a very nice low mileage CPO 991.2 T, a CPO GT4 and a new CGTS 4.0 for sale, all MTs and had LWBS. I ended up going with the Cayman GTS 4.0 (I don’t track anymore or I would of gone GT4 as my second choice) as it didn’t make a lot of sense to me to get the T with the back seat delete and the 4.0 motor truly is a special motor. My CA confirmed that a lot of buyers think similarly and said management would be bummed because at that time they couldn’t get rid of the T in the “super duper special pure Ethos T spec.” Eventually someone bought it because they couldn’t get a Cayman 4.0 or GT4 allocation, this was the beginning of the madness we see today.

Allocations and availability aside, which I get factor into people’s decision making process………..the two best, lightest, pure and yes Ethos drivers cars in Porsche’s lineup are the Cayman 4.0 and GT4. That motor is truly special and IMO even the GT4 with the mid engine platform is closer to a baby GT3 than a 992 T. Those get one closer to the Porsche driving experience of old that supposedly everyone here craves. But hey, carry on, this thread is very entertaining and your money as they say!

Last, not saying the T isn’t a wonderful car, but man some of the hyperbole in here is interesting to read.
I think the mid engine layout is superior to the 911. Most metrics show the GT4RS can outperform the GT3 on a lot of tracks. Andy pilgrim showed this recently at his home track. The difference wasn’t subtle.

I agree with your thoughts except I don’t find the non GT division 4.0 very special. It’s not a huge improvement on the 9A1 3.4L (981) for most power characteristics.
Old 12-10-2022, 03:26 AM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,640 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Oileater
I think the mid engine layout is superior to the 911. Most metrics show the GT4RS can outperform the GT3 on a lot of tracks. Andy pilgrim showed this recently at his home track. The difference wasn’t subtle.

I agree with your thoughts except I don’t find the non GT division 4.0 very special. It’s not a huge improvement on the 9A1 3.4L (981) for most power characteristics.

I agree completely that 718 GTS4.0 is superior racing machine to 911T.
However, they are targeting diff market segment.

I had 718 4.0 build allocation and almost bought it, but Covid restrictions eased and I decided I want 911 T to tour Europe again in the summer.
Old 12-10-2022, 04:36 AM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3,300 Likes on 733 Posts

Indeed different cars with different lay-out and different feel. And a GT product is always superior to a non-GT product. Their chassis is just top notch. That does not mean however you cannot find driving fun elsewhere in the range.

So I don’t think it’s a discussion here for people ordering a T. Because even if you acknowledge this (like me) there are still many many reasons to prefer a 911 and a non-GT product. And I am not talking just about the money.

Originally Posted by Gregonater
I think ideally i could just get partial leather with deviated stitching on the seat and steering wheel but now that I'm all the way here I think you're right and I should consider going even further...It's really easy to get carried away on these options. Even if I go "too far", as long as I keep the car manual with rear seat delete, and a solid roof I will feel like I have maintained what makes the T special to me.
I think you can’t go wrong either way. But once you start you may as well finish it. And it’s the only 2 packages left so it’s not that you have more and more other things to decide. You will not regret it. And I can’t wait to see those pictures of your car when it’s build.

Should you still doubt and need some pictures of the lower part of the door just let me know.

EDIT: I made one mistake and forgot to mention one thing. Back seat should also be in leather in your version to my liking. This may sound silly especially when we talk about T ethos. But the original backseat color and material will be pretty ugly in your version. Especially since you don’t have the rear seats and your vision will be destracted more. So you will notice the plastic much more. Chalk leather stitching on the backside is the way to go.

And now I’m afraid you think I am just joking but look at my spec above. I did not go for the “luxury” version T. But in the basis I am a big deviated stichting lover. I like my Porsches to be sporty but also luxurious if possible (not so on a GT product). So as I told you honestly I did not go for the leather options on mine and it’s my first Porsche with black on black stitching. So I skipped on the extra leather options but I did not skip the backside seat in leather on mine. That was intentionally. So if it was necessary on mine, I think you really should consider this.

If money is becoming the issue and you need to chose, than the backseat leather would probably still be on first place for me. Curious to hear your remarks.

And now we have come this theme: I notice that nobody has ordered the backside of the seat in exterior color. It may seem a theme that is not up to the T ethos. But I will pump it up a notch stretching the real T ethos here. Just give me a chance.

To me this option was pretty worthless on the standard 911 Carrera. This option gives a car a somewhat sporty look from outside. So always skip this when you have a “luxury Carrera”. Especially with rear seats. On a GT car without rear seats it makes more sense. But on a GT car you usually have the bucket seats or you have a rollcage installed. The match is not there. And on a GT touring it’s maybe a bit overkill since the car itself is already up to its sporty limit and you don’t need an option like that to top it.

But on the Carrera T with rear seat delete not being a true GT product the back seat in exterior color could just add that little extra sportiness people might be looking for. Don’t answer that it’s not about the looks. We all know it’s a part of the full package. Porsche is not adding those Agatha grey elements for nothing: pure for the looks.

Just make sure to skip the tinted windows if you order this option: otherwise you almost cannot see them from the outside.

I have never seen one in real life but I ordered it on mine since I am very confident about it. I secretly hope most guys here will not understand it and when they see the pictures of my version it will all come together and they will agree. But I want to be helpful for some when ordering theirs.

Again it’s just my own taste but hope to spread the word a little bit on some options people may forget by mistake or missed the point.

Oh God I just hope nobody thinks I am a Porsche marketeer trying to take away more of your money …

Last edited by Macboy; 12-10-2022 at 05:25 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Macboy:
3RsInCarrera (12-10-2022), Bearrun21 (12-24-2022), HerrDr (12-10-2022), norihito (12-10-2022), tourenwagen (12-11-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 11:12 AM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by tambo2
Am I the only one going with a carmine red T??

http://www.porschecode.com/PPY3AT39

And yes, metal sunroof goes against the Ethos. Then again, it's one of the only options August Achleitner has on his 991.2 T

"In the last half-year, I almost only drove a Carrera T [with a] manual and I love this car," Achletiner added. "It's just pure. The only option I have beside the navigation system is a sunroof. Wonderful." - Road and Track
My wife wants to get a sunroof, so it is def a possibility. She likes the metal sunroof in the 997 we have now. I'd get the metal sunroof since I like the look of the painted roof better and it is lighter than the glass sunroof. I know, T ethos and all... a couple additional pounds on the roof will make the car handle like a tractor and it might tip over in a corner . But get what you (and your significant other) like!
The following 3 users liked this post by 6sigma:
BHSAAA (12-14-2022), Macboy (12-10-2022), rokkerkory (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 11:23 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Indeed different cars with different lay-out and different feel. And a GT product is always superior to a non-GT product. Their chassis is just top notch. That does not mean however you cannot find driving fun elsewhere in the range.

So I don’t think it’s a discussion here for people ordering a T. Because even if you acknowledge this (like me) there are still many many reasons to prefer a 911 and a non-GT product. And I am not talking just about the money.
#backseats
Old 12-10-2022, 03:45 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 149 Posts

I like reading about your insights with regards to the GT3 and Carrera T. I traded my 2018 T for a 2018 GT3. The GT3 has everything I was looking for….Chalk, LWSB, PCCBs, front axle lift and manual. It is a wonderful car and much more “raw” compared to the T. After having the GT3 now, the Carrera T feels more like a grand tourer which is a complement. The T is fun ripping around the canyons and great on road trips. I have great memories with the T. Even the 7 speed manual grew on me after perfecting the 6-7th shift for highway cruising…..great gas mileage when needed. I’ve taken weekend trips in the GT3 and I can squeeze soft luggage in the back as needed. In the canyons it is a blast and the sound is incredible, though the T had a nice sound too though quiet on the outside.

My T was a dealer Spec. The only thing I wasn’t crazy for were the 18 way seats. I would have preferred the 4 ways, though the 18 ways were very comfortable. I Fantasy specked a new T , trying to keep it simple, so my price went from $141K to the mid $120s. If I were to get one I would definitely go for the

1) extended range tank
2) rear axle steer
3) T interior package ( love the stripes like my last one)
4) Exclusive design taillights

I could save money and go with a free color or my favorite pick would be Chalk….I have a Chalk Spyder and love the color. Also I can spend more money and go for the leather or just keep the plastic dash. My GT3 has the plastic dash and the Spyder has deviated stitching and leather. Makes the interior look nicer in my opinion.

Also I would forgo the rear seats for a little more sound even though I think the rear seats dress up the cabin instead of a sea of black carpet.

I really wanted a GT3 Touring but everything that met my list of must haves were way too much money. So, I like to think of my GT3 as a winged Touring 😁

Last edited by Guaji; 12-10-2022 at 03:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Macboy (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 04:04 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,258 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by Guaji
1) extended range tank
2) rear axle steer
3) T interior package ( love the stripes like my last one)
4) Exclusive design taillights

Also I would forgo the rear seats for a little more sound even though I think the rear seats dress up the cabin instead of a sea of black carpet.
I like your idea for a build. I have the T interior package spec'd myself (lizard green) but decided to put the rear seats in, esp since I'm spending $7K on the interior, I want ALL of it! lol
The following 4 users liked this post by Scott P:
anythingbuttime (12-10-2022), BOS911T (01-25-2023), Guaji (12-10-2022), Macboy (12-11-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 04:16 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P
I like your idea for a build. I have the T interior package spec'd myself (lizard green) but decided to put the rear seats in, esp since I'm spending $7K on the interior, I want ALL of it! lol
Its too bad they don’t offer more color choices for the T interior package. My last T had the red stripes and I loved it! ( also you could have chosen silver or yellow). If I were to get a 992T, I would go for Lizard Green interior also, with Chalk or White exterior. The Lizard Green looks great and is the signature color of the new T…..both for the interior and exterior.

I agree, go for all you want. You only get one shot at specking the car and better to have no regrets later.

Last edited by Guaji; 12-10-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Macboy (12-11-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 05:27 PM
james6speed
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 100 Posts

Ladies and Gents, I just created a Facebook Page specifically for this model as well. If you want to discuss there and talk about our builds etc.

Feel free to add by request if you like.

Last edited by james6speed; 12-10-2022 at 05:29 PM.
rokkerkory (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 07:22 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by FORENN
#backseats
Nah...

SS
The following 5 users liked this post by S S:
balucipher (12-10-2022), Ethos_of_the_T (12-10-2022), james6speed (12-12-2022), rokkerkory (12-10-2022), SupraSaiyan (12-27-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 07:29 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by Guaji
I really wanted a GT3 Touring but everything that met my list of must haves were way too much money. So, I like to think of my GT3 as a winged Touring 😁
Funny how we can rationalize or reimagine our realities to better fit our true desires. Having owned both variants of the 991.2 GT3, it’s odd that a simple touring package would later justify a different model, as with the 992. But again, Porsche knows marketing. Far less distinguishes the the GT3 Touring from the GT3 Classic than what distinguishes the Carrera T from the base or S. On another note, and completely inconsistent with the GT3, the Carrera T remains a Touring regardless of whether it is equipped with full aero (i.e., aerokit).
Bobby 911 (12-11-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 07:31 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by S S
Nah...
SS
You missed the point. Regardless of your personal preference, back seats are quite often the reason why a Carrera variant is chosen over a GT#.
The following 2 users liked this post by FORENN:
Bobby 911 (12-11-2022), HerrDr (12-10-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club