Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 12:24 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,461 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by tourenwagen
Like many in here, I've owned a 991T and a 992. I think Porsche is predictable enough that we can all pretty much assume what's it going to be like. While I understand @minn19 's point about how good the Cayman 4.0 is, I think there are shallow buyers like me that unfortunately see the 911 platform as being superior. Last counter-point is that I'm an aftermarket junkie and love the endless possibilities available for the 911 3.0T platform. For a few $k's I could get a T close to Turbo S performance if I wanted to. While I greatly respect the 4.0 motor and it's glorious sound, large amounts of money are needed to see even minimal gains. I'm not trying to convince anyone either way, just sating my thoughts on the Cayman vs. 911.
Good point on the aftermarket support - did not know its much more limited on the 4.0 GTS/GT4. I am shallow too.
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 12:26 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by rokkerkory
Going on a diet to save a few lbs on the T

This! I've gotta get back to pre-Covid/busted up knee weight (20 pounds less than current).
rokkerkory (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 12:27 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,195 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch
Exactly. The PDK cars and other T’s where the builds didn’t make sense to potential buyers (often dealer builds). Seems like a lot of people don’t understand what really happened with the 991.2 T sales.
I'd go with a very slightly different explanation - might not hold for the 911 as it came from a BMW dealer. When a dealer (BMW) builds and orders a manual, it often sits on the lot longer because most manual buyers are very specific in their build and willing to order/wait vs drive it off the lot. For the 991 generation T, as you said, the dealers didn't understand where it truly fit in the lineup and built lots of PDK loaded cars. We only now see what is playing out in the used market. In the case of today's carrera T, I'd argue that buyers generally aren't seeking ultimate performance, reading here it is more about feel and engagement. A PDK is about convenience for some, and also ultimate performance. For those that want convenience, there may be more convenience and preference options on the carrera S you'd want along with PDK - such as wheel choices, color choices, interior material and finish choices. And if pricing between the two isn't that different (at this price point it frankly isn't), then you factor in availability. There may be a chance to order a T and get it sooner than an S or GTS.

My contention is the nerd audience here is what the T is now catering to based on the market learnings from the 991T. I won't buy a 991 T that isn't the perfect build --> for me. There are some nice ones out there for sure but we are very very picky. So we get on the list and wait for an allocation on a new T.
The following 3 users liked this post by arrivederci:
FloraFauna (12-08-2022), HerrDr (12-08-2022), tambo2 (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 12:28 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P
It's all hype obviously since no one here ( I believe) has actually driven one and certainly hasn't owned one. I'd say we are all guilty of regurgitating reviews' highs and lows and picking out our individual points to emphasize based on biases. It'll be interesting to see the real world comments once ownership and real world experiences kick in.
Even people’s real world experiences and reviews are very much tainted by preconceptions and external influences. Many who get the most lightweight T configuration will convince themselves they can tell the difference, when in a blind test they likely would not be able to do so. I can’t remember which YouTuber I saw who had been to a Porsche track event. Many attendees were talking about how great the RAS was on the track, but Porsche had actually been unable to provide cars with RAS for the day.

Everyone should get exactly the car they want, and if part of that experience is also convincing themselves their car is objectively better to drive because of a few undetectable pounds of weight savings, that’s also part of the fun.

Porsche is the main winner here, when the margin on all the add-ons is considered, but similarly none of us who get to play the game can complain about the level of privilege we have just to be on the other side of that trade!
The following 8 users liked this post by bluelines1974:
3RsInCarrera (12-08-2022), arrivederci (12-08-2022), DSC48 (12-09-2022), Ethos_of_the_T (12-08-2022), FloraFauna (12-08-2022), minn19 (12-08-2022), Stespa (12-08-2022), tambo2 (12-08-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-08-2022, 12:51 PM
rokkerkory
Racer

Received 510 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P
This! I've gotta get back to pre-Covid/busted up knee weight (20 pounds less than current).
Ugh man I hear you on that. Covid was brutal for my health too.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:54 PM
balucipher
Pro

Received 643 Likes on 331 Posts

Weight makes a pretty significant difference on track - I could tell the difference between a full tank / half tank and nearly empty in my Cayman the last time I was out on track. Normally I fill between sessions but I didn't have a support truck and this track doesn't allow fuel storage in the garages so I ran it to empty in the morning session and it was pretty incredible.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:58 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma
I am probably adding the PDLS+ for the dynamic headlights. I had that on my 991.2 T and really liked them. Totally not necessary but they are a nice upgrade and I think better lights improve driving. Hell, if my rear wheels are steering so should the headlights!
While the automatic high beam function is nice, the main reason for me to get this option
is to light up crosswalks when turning around a corner where there are no street lights.
No one wants to ever hit a pedestrian! I have had two very close calls over the past 15 years.
I think this option will be adequate for this purpose and it is for this reason that I'm not ordering the infrared night vision option.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
Even people’s real world experiences and reviews are very much tainted by preconceptions and external influences. Many who get the most lightweight T configuration will convince themselves they can tell the difference, when in a blind test they likely would not be able to do so. I can’t remember which YouTuber I saw who had been to a Porsche track event. Many attendees were talking about how great the RAS was on the track, but Porsche had actually been unable to provide cars with RAS for the day.

Everyone should get exactly the car they want, and if part of that experience is also convincing themselves their car is objectively better to drive because of a few undetectable pounds of weight savings, that’s also part of the fun.

Porsche is the main winner here, when the margin on all the add-ons is considered, but similarly none of us who get to play the game can complain about the level of privilege we have just to be on the other side of that trade!
I would love to see the results of a blind test drive (blindfold a passenger) put them in a base, S, t, GT3, GTS and Turbo and see if they can guess which is which. maybe some ear plus so they can't hear the exhaust, which would give it away.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:02 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

The only place where you would notice the difference is in competitive autocross.
Thousandths of a second are sometimes all that separates winners from losers.
Especially at a national level, a hundred pounds between two drivers of similar skill could make one competitive and the other not. (base vs manual T weight delta)
Perhaps even the 17 lbs or so difference between a base and Carrera T both with PDK could separate a winner from a loser.
4 lbs....don't think so.
Perhaps an experienced autocrosser could chime in here…

Last edited by Tompoodie; 12-08-2022 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:06 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,463 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
I was with you until the end. A S (even a gussied up one) is not a Lexus with a Porsche badge.

People are really downplaying the rear seat delete here, but Porsche really changed the dynamics and hurt T sales when they shoved the 4.0 in the Cayman/Boxsters. I had that exact situation come up when I bought my first Porsche. There was a very nice low mileage CPO 991.2 T, a CPO GT4 and a new CGTS 4.0 for sale, all MTs and had LWBS. I ended up going with the Cayman GTS 4.0 (I don’t track anymore or I would of gone GT4 as my second choice) as it didn’t make a lot of sense to me to get the T with the back seat delete and the 4.0 motor truly is a special motor. My CA confirmed that a lot of buyers think similarly and said management would be bummed because at that time they couldn’t get rid of the T in the “super duper special pure Ethos T spec.” Eventually someone bought it because they couldn’t get a Cayman 4.0 or GT4 allocation, this was the beginning of the madness we see today.

Allocations and availability aside, which I get factor into people’s decision making process………..the two best, lightest, pure and yes Ethos drivers cars in Porsche’s lineup are the Cayman 4.0 and GT4. That motor is truly special and IMO even the GT4 with the mid engine platform is closer to a baby GT3 than a 992 T. Those get one closer to the Porsche driving experience of old that supposedly everyone here craves. But hey, carry on, this thread is very entertaining and your money as they say!

Last, not saying the T isn’t a wonderful car, but man some of the hyperbole in here is interesting to read.
Didn't mean to imply that the C2S is a Lexus - not even close. My point is that general public - ie non-RL normies - mostly want a comfy ride and a good looking car to check off the 911 box on their bucket list. For those folks, the T doesn't really make sense. Which is why it may have been less popular an option.

My Touring is tarted up to the moon - I have deviated stitching, carbon trim, carbon lighted sills,etc - so I definitely don't have an issue with options either.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
HerrDr (12-08-2022), minn19 (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 01:13 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
I would love to see the results of a blind test drive (blindfold a passenger) put them in a base, S, t, GT3, GTS and Turbo and see if they can guess which is which. maybe some ear plus so they can't hear the exhaust, which would give it away.
S and GTS would be very difficult to distinguish I think. The ride in the GT3 is much harder, and the Turbo S is next level fast, so those might be a bit easier.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:17 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
I’m curious between RWD/AWD too. I test drove 992 C2S and C4S cars back and forth quite a bit, I can’t really tell a difference. I went with my CPO 4S simply because I liked the build better.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:18 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
The only place where you would notice the difference is in competitive autocross.
Thousandths of a second are sometimes all that separates winners from losers.
Especially at a national level, a hundred pounds between two drivers of similar skill could make one competitive and the other not. (base vs manual T weight delta)
Perhaps even the 17 lbs or so difference between a base and Carrera T both with PDK could separate a winner from a loser.
4 lbs....don't think so.
Perhaps an experienced autocrosser could chime in here…
So again, lighter, better power to weight ratio of GTS 4.0/GT4……………..
tourenwagen (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 01:34 PM
Scotttes
AutoX

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Speaking of weight. (and i apologize if its being mentioned already) Do we know how much lighter the forged 5 spoke Carrera wheels are?
Old 12-08-2022, 01:42 PM
balucipher
Pro

Received 643 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotttes
Speaking of weight. (and i apologize if its being mentioned already) Do we know how much lighter the forged 5 spoke Carrera wheels are?
I haven't found the weights anywhere. They'll all be similar, with the Exclusive Design wheels being around the same or lighter than the Carrera S "free" wheels and both being lighter than the RS Spider wheels

If you really want to save weight, getting the standard wheel and putting the cost of the optional wheels towards lightweight aftermarket wheels is your best bet.
Scotttes (12-08-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club