Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 02:15 PM
defiant2
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 59 Posts

Finally completed all 1200 pages and appreciate everyone's insight. My prior order (PRYH7B71) with the red stripe and red belts as been revised. New direction influenced by the wisdom contained here; thanks!

The "T" and it's equipment level is for me and my needs as a daily driver and infrequent auto-x/driver event ride. Other than the two "safety" items I've had to include so my wife is comfortable driving her, I've decided on the T option (in slate - yep, know it's "boring," but I like the additional slate in the fabric and stitching and the low level contrast looks nice in many of the pictures posted here and in the "T pictures" thread).

Still debating on adding the leather (door tops and dash edge) option. But, if that's done, also do the steering column according to a few here? But also the lower doors? (I wouldn't do the fuse covers and door sills option or the chrono in leather option regardless.) If those two are selected, does the slate stitching get used?

Between just the t-interior in slate (~$135,500) and the t-interior in slate/leather w/column and lower doors (~$142,500) as I've configured mine, it's about $7k. I understand it's "only" a 5% increase vs the simpler one, so the price isn't what's nagging at me. Though I've been able to order other cars before, they were of brands that had much simpler/fewer choices. When I configured the Honey Badger or M2C2 or Spaceship before, their available options were much more straight-forward and there weren't really any faux pas you could option that would hurt future value or make difficult to sell (I could see Porschewiseguy's T being an outlier in ability to easily sell! ). Plus, you could actually go and see/sit in enough to determine various options. In some markets like the UK, all T's have the leather dash/door tops and thus are accepted as "proper" builds for the T there. I'm building this for me, but also want to remain sensible in that I don't keep these forever and understand certain options hurt/help to future owners.

This is the first time I've been able to spec a Porsche and I'm at analysis paralysis now. In your opinion(s), keep leathered up or strip down? If I knew how to poll, I would. Thank you for insight/feedback as usual.

PRKAC6P5
or
PRYTCHC4
Old 09-19-2023, 02:28 PM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 462 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
I am considering adding the Front Spoiler Lip in Exterior Color i.c.w. PASM Sport Suspension (Lowered 10mm) for $640 prior to my freeze date which is nearing. Has anyone else added this to their build that they now have possession of? Second thoughts?

I think it looks much better with the painted lip
The following 2 users liked this post by gatorfast:
Scott P (09-19-2023), tourenwagen (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 02:32 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

If your local dealer has a 992, its absolutely worth the time to sit in a car before you order options. Luckily mine had (and still has) a no-option 992 so it was easy to go from there. I would definitely try out the seats and look at a car with / without leather interior. My SA and dealership was helpful and even brought over a 992 to the house and we checked clearances to understand if I needed FAL.
The following 2 users liked this post by BED997:
defiant2 (09-19-2023), MaddMike (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 03:00 PM
bobert75
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 254 Posts

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...t-test-review/
Old 09-19-2023, 03:15 PM
ndmiller
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

Cons

• Noisy on the highway
  • Long gearing and imperfect pedal spacing
  • Awful standard backup camera
I'm out....haha. Every article/video produced seems to push back my delivery date....stop it man.
The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 04:00 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 949 Posts

I find it odd to nitpick the backup camera.
Old 09-19-2023, 04:04 PM
Shortseller
Pro

Received 621 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
I am considering adding the Front Spoiler Lip in Exterior Color i.c.w. PASM Sport Suspension (Lowered 10mm) for $640 prior to my freeze date which is nearing. Has anyone else added this to their build that they now have possession of? Second thoughts?

With

Without
Had it on my original build, wife thought it looked nice. Canceled it after I read a few online comments that it would be a rock chip magnet that over time would look horrible and need painting, The T sits low enough to make this a difficult choice. I ended up putting the money into the rear axle steer, a few dollars more but my SA agreed it was a better benefit.
RatherJaded (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 04:06 PM
Shortseller
Pro

Received 621 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I prefer without and less chance of chipping and scraping etc. I believe with the manual you get the lower suspension anyway but someone can correct me on that.
Yes, it’s lower.
Old 09-19-2023, 04:10 PM
ndmiller
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
I find it odd to nitpick the backup camera.
The following 2 users liked this post by ndmiller:
Pivot (09-22-2023), Shortseller (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 04:32 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 994 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortseller
Had it on my original build, wife thought it looked nice. Canceled it after I read a few online comments that it would be a rock chip magnet that over time would look horrible and need painting, The T sits low enough to make this a difficult choice. I ended up putting the money into the rear axle steer, a few dollars more but my SA agreed it was a better benefit.
A strip of ppf would all but eliminate any issues with the painted lip. It’s included in xpels extended bumper kit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Icegrill:
BED997 (09-19-2023), RatherJaded (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 05:54 PM
Uhu
Racer

Received 1,099 Likes on 378 Posts

Cons
  • Noisy on the highway. Even for a sports car, the cabin booms loud on the highway.
  • Long gearing, Manual-transmission gearing is too long for our liking.
  • imperfect pedal spacing, Pedal spacing isn't perfect for heel-toe downshifts.
  • Awful standard backup camera. The backup camera view is a low-resolution, fisheye-distorted embarrassment we'd deride in a $25,000 subcompact
  • The steering wheel blocks the cluster displays' outer gauges
  • Porsche installed too much piano-black trim.
Thus concludes our list of complaints about the 2023 Porsche 911 Carrera T.

I only agree with two cons:
- awful backup camera. Gives only an approximation of what's behind. My CS has the same camera as the 2014 F80, so in 2023 I bought a more expensive car that has a backup camera worse than a 2014 one.
- steering wheel blocking a good chunk of the cluster

Don't agree with these though:
- noisy on the highway - I start to suspect that it's dependent on the tarmac type, tire brand (Goodyear seems to be quieter) and tire age/wear type. The test car might have an uneven wear, which can cause this noise/booming. Despite my relatively low mileage (2500 km), I already have 2 long road trips behind (to Zandvoort and to Hockenheim) and didn't notice any booming or loudness.
- long gearing - this isn't a "revvy" engine and it has very good low down torque. I like the gearing, it makes sense on the roads here (Germany) and on the track (at Zandvoort, I was able to pull away from GT4s, out of turns) and for relaxed autobahn cruising at 150+ mph, the 7th is perfect.
- imperfect pedal spacing - again, non revvy engine and also, the auto "heel and toe" works perfectly
- too much piano black trim - you have the option to replace it and I did. Best decision ever.

Otherwise, "the green machine delivered brilliant corner entry whether the driver was smooth or aggressive"- yeah, this is what hit me at most, right from the beginning. How effortless the corner entry is.
HerrDr (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 05:58 PM
Uhu
Racer

I prefer without and less chance of chipping and scraping etc. I believe with the manual you get the lower suspension anyway but someone can correct me on that.
All Ts come with the -10 mm PASM Sport suspension.
The only difference between the manual and PDK is the PVT, with the manual you get the fixed % mechanical diff, with the PDK you get the variable electronically controlled one.
The following 4 users liked this post by Uhu:
Barkat03 (09-19-2023), HerrDr (09-19-2023), MaddMike (09-19-2023), Shortseller (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 06:04 PM
Uhu
Racer

Originally Posted by bobert75
You don't need RAS on a tight road - I drove my non-RAS Carrera T on hundreds of hairpin turns on 28 Alpine passes and at no point did I think the car needed a tighter turning radius. I get that some ppl want RAS (I'm not knocking it) - nothing wrong with making an informed choice to select it - but at no point is it necessary.
There is a difference between taking a hairpin and trying to turn around on a tight street, without blocking the traffic with a 3 way turn.
For some of us, living in Europe, it is necessary. We need to parallel park, navigate tight streets, etc. My CS, with 265 front tires, turns like a truck. To the point that I'm thinking twice if I really want to drive it to certain areas in the city.
Shortseller (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 06:08 PM
Uhu
Racer

Originally Posted by Icegrill
A strip of ppf would all but eliminate any issues with the painted lip. It’s included in xpels extended bumper kit.
A strip of ppf only guards against dust and flies. And some light stones hits. Anything else gets through. And because it is much less flexible than the simple, black one, it doesn't like being scratched against anything and much less to hit something solid. You not only need to repair and repaint it, you might also want to have a look at the bumper too, because it will get forced back or moved around.
With the simple, black strip you really don't care. If scratched or you hit something, it's cheap to replace, it flexes and function more like a skirt than a splitter.
My BMW has clear carbon down there...very expensive to touch anything! Had to replace it once and it is not easy to do it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Uhu:
bobert75 (09-19-2023), MaddMike (09-19-2023), Shortseller (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 06:23 PM
Uhu
Racer

• Rear axle steering, I have not experienced this but everyone seems to rave and the fact that it is added for the T makes me think I should get it
  • Interior inlays in exterior color. Since I picked GT silver, this adds some color to the black interior and should go well with the stripes on the seat. Would not do it with GB or another pigmented color
  • Leather heated wheel, no CF as there is no other CF on this car and I don't really care for it
  • Bose, I know there are people who say "the only soundtrack you need is your intake and exhaust noise", well, this is a DD and I know the stock system sucks but if anyone got this and has other opinions, I would like to hear it
Major options skipped:
  • Ambient lighting, seems a bit silly, maybe in a GTS
  • Extended leather dash and steering column,

Not everyone here is a fan of rear wheel steering. And sometimes I think it would be interesting to see how the adopters % will change if it would be a "cost free" option.
I am in Germany, we have the autobahn, we drive fast and we also have pretty fast exits or entries. Also, some pretty tight city street or parking lots. Rear wheel steering was a no-brainer for me and after driving the car I am really glad that I have it.
The review in Motor Trend makes an interesting point: The tail-heavy 911 appreciates trail braking to transfer weight forward, pressing the front rubber to the pavement for the sharpest turn-in. Quick steering and proper technique deliver a sharp, confident front end, but forget your Porsche ABCs, and you'll find understeer.
So, either RAS or trail braking, if you don't want to end up understeering. Or constantly hacking at the wheel at the corner entry. I went with RAS, for a few extra kg and coins I get a nice piece of technology that helps. If you are more of the cruiser/"canyoning" type, you can leave it unchecked, you will not feel it's missing.

Interior inlays - GT silver like me? Take them. They look AMAZING and it replaces some of that awful piano black.

No CF on the wheeel - do not take it. It looks bad and cheap, drove an S at Hockenheim with this option. I thought it's a "sticker" not carbon.

Bose - take it, don't get the standard sound system. We didn't have this option, it was either standard or Burmester. I took the Burmester, it's an overkill, but it's better than the standard. The 911 is missing good speaker behind the front seats, you can feel that the sound comes mostly from forward of you (side and front). So Burmerster has definition, power...but spatially, it's crap.

I have ambient lightning - tried to play with it once, didn't like the outcome, reset it and left it like that since. will not get it again.

No need for the extended package. Get the front of the dash covered and you are golden. You will not see what's behind it anyway.
Steering column is nice, because is right under your nose.
The following 3 users liked this post by Uhu:
HerrDr (09-19-2023), MaddMike (09-19-2023), Shortseller (09-19-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club