Sponsored by:

2021 Delivery Date?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 05:29 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjchernis
A bunch of us have brand new cars parked waiting to get emissions approval before they can be delivered. My dealer is now telling me it will likely be mid October before I get the car meaning it will have been parked, outside, for almost two months before it is delivered. Is it reasonable for us to ask the dealers for any special preparation on the cars before they are delivered to us? Should we ask them to replace the tires (which may have permanently flat-spotted) or batteries that have probably died completely on the lot?

Don't want to be unfair but it is not great for a car to sit in storage, outside, for two months. Thoughts?
I’m in the same boat (uh—actually not true anymore because the boy has unloaded the cars). I washed a car that has been sitting outside for three weeks and have to say I’m not stoked about the new Porsche doing the same thing. Lots of ash in addition to normal dirt and stuff.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:21 PM
Mjchernis
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by speedyj
where did they get middle of October from
Not entirely sure. Earlier in the week it was October 1st. Either they are adding some days for transport (90 miles from port) or they believe it will be longer.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:22 PM
Mjchernis
Instructor

Originally Posted by markchristenson
I’m in the same boat (uh—actually not true anymore because the boy has unloaded the cars). I washed a car that has been sitting outside for three weeks and have to say I’m not stoked about the new Porsche doing the same thing. Lots of ash in addition to normal dirt and stuff.
Exactly...can't be good. What do you think is fair to ask of dealer?
Old 09-12-2020, 07:00 PM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 173 Posts

Not entirely sure. Earlier in the week it was October 1st. Either they are adding some days for transport (90 miles from port) or they believe it will be longer.
they are prob just giving Themselves a buffer
The following users liked this post:
markchristenson (09-13-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 07:39 PM
CliffClavin
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

A bunch of us have brand new cars parked waiting to get emissions approval before they can be delivered. My dealer is now telling me it will likely be mid October before I get the car meaning it will have been parked, outside, for almost two months before it is delivered. Is it reasonable for us to ask the dealers for any special preparation on the cars before they are delivered to us? Should we ask them to replace the tires (which may have permanently flat-spotted) or batteries that have probably died completely on the lot?

Don't want to be unfair but it is not great for a car to sit in storage, outside, for two months. Thoughts?
Modern day tires will absolutely not flat spot in two months. Any normal decontamination wash will be sufficient to make your paint look as good as the day it rolled off the line. I know it’s frustrating to have this happen, but the cars will be just fine.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:43 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,698 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffClavin
Modern day tires will absolutely not flat spot in two months. Any normal decontamination wash will be sufficient to make your paint look as good as the day it rolled off the line. I know it’s frustrating to have this happen, but the cars will be just fine.
Absolutely, positively 100% correct!
Old 09-13-2020, 08:18 AM
Mjchernis
Instructor

Originally Posted by CliffClavin
Thanks much! Glad to hear it.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:09 PM
tfcoll
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I just placed my order and got December 11th date. The dealership was able to "grab" an available allocation.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:07 PM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Blah another day in purgatory
markchristenson (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 08:29 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Just had snow last week. Earliest in the year I have ever seen. I should probably order my snow tires so I can get them mounted when the car arrives someday in the distant future.
markchristenson (09-14-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 10:37 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

My car along with others is stuck in Houston and now we have hurricanes hitting the gulf coast. I dreamed that a hurricane hit Houston and our cars were flooded sitting at the port. Porsche didn’t know what to do except offer to build another. I woke up and honestly considered if I would be willing to go through this again.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:54 AM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
My car along with others is stuck in Houston and now we have hurricanes hitting the gulf coast. I dreamed that a hurricane hit Houston and our cars were flooded sitting at the port. Porsche didn’t know what to do except offer to build another. I woke up and honestly considered if I would be willing to go through this again.
I definitely wouldn’t, life is too short to wait months over months for a car.. our cars have been at port since 8/19
Old 09-15-2020, 11:21 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,698 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Unless Sally changes direction I'd imagine that any (if any) storm surge that hits Huston will be relatively easy to manage. But if Porsche waits long enough, with any Murphy's Law luck, there may be another hurricane that does hit Huston.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:24 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,633 Likes on 784 Posts

My car was built in late January, 2020 and was being held for an April 22 European Delivery. The ED was cancelled by Porsche in March, and the car sat outside at various locations until leaving Emden on June 16. Total time spend outside was about 5 months, and there were absolutely no issues with paint, tires or battery.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:31 PM
kpblade
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 71 Posts

Being in California with the current fires, I'd be more concerned about the ash that can lay down on cars outdoors. If it stays dry, no problem, but some reports are saying that any ash that gets wet and not fully washed off, can etch the clear coat. Don't know if its true...

Quick Reply: 2021 Delivery Date?