Sponsored by:

2021 Delivery Date?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 12:49 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by mathus7
Never had low battery problem with delivery of four new Porsche cars in past 15 years. Dealer brings battery up to full charge as part of pre-delivery preparation. Not sure, but I think this is part of standard procedure.
Same here - I've taken delivery of 3 911s, two Macan S, and a Panamera Turbo since 2017. Never had a battery issue with any, but none sat in certification purgatory before. I'm not sure about dealer prep, but seems like it would be a good thing for them to at least check out. Just wanted to alert folks to be aware as it's not all that easy to deal with once the battery has gone flat. BTW, mine charged up just fine overnight with the trickle charger.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:37 PM
Babyray
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mathus7
Never had low battery problem with delivery of four new Porsche cars in past 15 years. Dealer brings battery up to full charge as part of pre-delivery preparation. Not sure, but I think this is part of standard procedure.
or with the current situation maybe Porsche could spring for a new battery. After all we’re talking a 150,000.00 +-
The following users liked this post:
mr965 (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 04:11 PM
Jon35
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
As one of the guys involved with some of these policy decisions for COVID19 for the military population have been trying to say this to you guys on the forum for about 4-5 mos. COVID19 is screwing up most things and causing even us with all the guns and toys to greatly modify how we do business. I've been on M-W-F shift works since almost Apr/May to minimize workplace contacts and exposures guys. Same holds true for most govt agencies and tons of private industries in Germany as well as across Europe (all of your parts) and here. Thus no one could predict it but delays were/are inevitable and a submission and release process that likely should have been good to go and set for execution in late Sept/early to mid Oct went wayy out the door! Thus the side stepping of dates from Oct to Nov to now Dec.

Lots of folks are hurting out there some very badly....we are fortunate to have these cars guys/gals. First world problems....So when mine gets here..[currently in transit from port now] when...t gets here. Just hope am healthy as is my family to enjoy it!
Does anyone think it is possible that with Covid that CARB will close down as being non essential leading to no vehicles being certified until the spring. I hate to even type these words and I am hoping that that is not possible but I do worry if the delays have been so dramatic
mr965 (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 05:19 PM
Ernesto Otero
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon35
Does anyone think it is possible that with Covid that CARB will close down as being non essential leading to no vehicles being certified until the spring. I hate to even type these words and I am hoping that that is not possible but I do worry if the delays have been so dramatic

I think anything is possible at this point with COVID since cases continue to spike. My car is in Houston port waiting for CARB. I am in NM. The state is on a 2 week lockdown and dealers are closed. Only service department so even with CARB I could not take delivery until our Governor lets dealers sell cars again.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:20 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon35
If that is the case, I am going to cancel my order. I am beyond frustrated with the lack of information out of Porsche NA. I have had better experience buying Ford Fusions. Honestly, this is 100% on Porsche for not getting CARB apps in sooner if their reasoning is CARB certification, which a third of the country requires, including the most populous states like CA, NY, NJ, PA and most of New England, at least half of their US market. They should have been submitted applications as soon as first vehicles rolled off production line, especially given the environment, especially given last year's and previous years' delays, especially with their exposure and complicity in the diesel cheating scandal. Everyone with cars in purgatory for months should be pissed. This isnt COVID. This is Porsche NA. And it isn't the first time.

Last edited by ryandarr1979; 11-21-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Ernesto Otero (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 05:30 PM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
If that is the case, I am going to cancel my order. I am beyond frustrated with the lack of information out of Porsche NA. I have had better experience buying Ford Fusions. Honestly, this is 100% on Porsche for not getting CARB apps in sooner if their reasoning is CARB certification, which a third of the country requires, including the most populous states like CA, NY, NJ, PA and most of New England, at least half of their US market. They should have been submitted applications as soon as first vehicles rolled off production line, especially given the environment, especially given last year's and previous years' delays, especially with their exposure and complicity in the diesel cheating scandal. Everyone with cars in purgatory for months should be pissed. This isnt COVID. This is Porsche NA. And it isn't the first time.
Do you have any evidence that they didn't submit application then? There's been times where EPA certification has taken 6+ months after application.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:36 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStanman
Do you have any evidence that they didn't submit application then? There's been times where EPA certification has taken 6+ months after application.
I'd certainly like to find out but many others on here have stated their experience with EPA and CARB approvals typically occur a couple weeks after applications are submitted. I know part of the hold up was negotiation with EPA regarding paying a fine per vehicle as a result of the emissions cheating scandal. Bottom line is I ordered my car in June. It was a early September build, arrived in port first week of October and has been sitting, and will continue to sit for at least another two weeks, and my delivery date has now moved 5 times.

Last edited by ryandarr1979; 11-21-2020 at 05:38 PM.
mr965 (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 07:14 PM
Brandguy
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Agree -- at some point a worst case scenario spring delivery would lead to strong consideration for a new order 2022 model (right back on the merry-go-round) or even waiting an extra year at that point for a 992.2
Bluehighways (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 07:17 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandguy
Agree -- at some point a worst case scenario spring delivery would lead to strong consideration for a new order 2022 model (right back on the merry-go-round) or even waiting an extra year at that point for a 992.2
please keep everyone informed when you cancel and what alternative path you decide to pursue
Thank you very much
Old 11-21-2020, 07:20 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

please keep everyone informed when you cancel and what alternative path you decide to pursue
Thank you very much

Old 11-21-2020, 07:28 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,659 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStanman
Arguing with the police officer about your speeding ticket doesn't change the fact that you were almost certainly speeding. Getting mad at the officer doesn't help much either. Accepting the consequences and moving forward in such a way that you'll not acquire another is what a mature person and a responsible company does. Porsche sure does seem to be blaming the Police for getting a well deserved ticket. On top of this they do not seem to be changing how they do business. That's not a winning combination. In the long run, in this analogy, you and I would loose our license. Porsche risks seriously damaging their brand value and thus their position in the marketplace. There are a lot of proud car companies that built great cars . . . . at one time . . . . they're no longer in business.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 11-21-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:55 PM
fishskis
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213

Lots of folks are hurting out there some very badly....we are fortunate to have these cars guys/gals. First world problems....So when mine gets here..[currently in transit from port now] when...t gets here. Just hope am healthy as is my family to enjoy it!
Well said. So I'll drive my 991.2 for a little longer than I thought I would. Hard to complain with a straight face.

A few additional thoughts:

- I have zero idea of whether this is Porsche's fault, or the EPA, or the CARB states, or some combination of these; this uncertainty is frustrating. However, anecdotally, I have never had this experience with a car before, so I am inclined to blame Porsche. If they had better customer communications, I would probably be cool with the situation; but their total lack of communication puts them in a bad light.
- An anology: If my flight is delayed it can be frustrating, but delays happen. But if my flight is early, and then I sit on the tarmac indefinitely because there is no gate available, every minute feels like an hour. We know our cars are within our reach; so close, but yet so far, and completely out of anyone's apparent control.
- If this situation is a result of COVID, then I am totally cool with it.
- Even if it is Porsche's "fault", there really is limited, or no recourse. Of course you can cancel your order, but who cares? Given the reduced production, I am sure dealers could easily sell your car, perhaps at a lower discount than they've given to you. So you would just be punishing yourself.
- As frustrating as the delay is for us, I feel worse for my SA. These guys have no cars to sell, and they can't realize their income on these ordered cars until they are sold. They have no control of the situation, just like us, and I'm sure they have to deal with frustrated high-maintenance customers who keep pestering them about why they can't get their cars.
The following 5 users liked this post by fishskis:
Bluehighways (11-21-2020), craig66 (11-21-2020), Helios59 (11-21-2020), mdrobc1213 (11-22-2020), Russian Mafia (11-22-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 08:55 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 221 Posts

Guys and Girls - one day soon this will all be over and then we will all be in love with our cars. Lets be sensitive that everyone handles disappointment a little differently. Some get angry and some are more accepting and shrug it off as a first world problem but the reality is that for someone that might have ordered early in the year, was expecting in September and was pushed off until October and then November and now December this is really really very upsetting and I do no think we should be dictating to people how they should feel or how to express their disappointment or anger.

I found taking my Boxster out during the first lockdown and spinning around the empty roads was very very therapeutic. I pretraded for my 992 at the end of September with an expected delivery on 1/1/21. I have been without my Boxster for two months and am climbing the wall. I cannot imagine being without my car beyond 1/1/21 and feel for each and everyone of you. It is not superficial to want your car or to get angry with Porsche for not stepping up at the very least as it pertains to their communications.

I was and am in the frontlines with Covid but it was that very experience that made me realize how important it was to have my car. In those dark days it was one of the few things (aside from the health of my family who thankfully stayed safe) that made the experience somewhat more tolerable.

When this is all over we will want to be able to chat civilly with each other on these boards for if not what is the purpose of the boards. There are some forums that are known to be vicious and snide. Lets not go there

The following 6 users liked this post by craig66:
bstrong (11-21-2020), Helios59 (11-21-2020), markchristenson (11-21-2020), mdrobc1213 (11-22-2020), Russian Mafia (11-22-2020), Vintage72 (11-21-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-21-2020, 08:57 PM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Arguing with the police officer about your speeding ticket doesn't change the fact that you were almost certainly speeding. Getting mad at the officer doesn't help much either. Accepting the consequences and moving forward in such a way that you'll not acquire another is what a mature person and a responsible company does. Porsche sure does seem to be blaming the Police for getting a well deserved ticket. On top of this they do not seem to be changing how they do business. That's not a winning combination. In the long run, in this analogy, you and I would loose our license. Porsche risks seriously damaging their brand value and thus their position in the marketplace. There are a lot of proud car companies that built great cars . . . . at one time . . . . they're no longer in business.
This analogy would make sense if it wasn't the exact same situation with every single manufacturer for years. Based on my times reading forums over the years, Mercedes seems to have the biggest issue with EPA delays.

Betweent the two choices:
A) Every single car manufacturer has always had this issue and doesn't change despite bad customer experience, upset dealer network, and negative financial impact
B) A govt agency is inefficient and not transparent

I've been to the DMV...I know what I'd choose.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:03 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Once again, **** off, Peter, you pompous ***. Let’s see if you still have your head up Porsche’s *** and are preaching clean air when you’re still here waiting for your Turbo S to arrive next April and Porsche has bumped your delivery date for the 9th time.
thanks - your manners, if any, are certainly impressive - and I definitely apologize for having apparently touched such a very raw nerve.
sorry sorry sorry for that!

and ps - if it’s April, yes, it will be April - and while annoyed and discouraged, I will still be waiting and will be enjoying the environmental protection benefits in the meantime.

Quick Reply: 2021 Delivery Date?