Sponsored by:

2021 Delivery Date?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 04:15 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by gymdent
Where do you live? My 2021 C2S was supposed to be delivered early October after having pre-traded my 2017 C2 in July. My dealer, Porsche of Amityville, appears to have no more info than we do as to when this will end. I sent an email voicing my displeasure and asking for some "relief". I have yet to hear back.

For what it's worth, my TYD still says 11/20 arrival date at dealer!
Unfortunately all that you are going to get from the dealer is what you already know if you have read through this thread and that is that the earliest you can expect to purchase a car is 12/4. Yes that date gas been pushed back several times but the reality is that the dealer unfortunately knows as much as you do, The question of who dropped the ball is ongoing right now but PCNA and all of us are at the mercy of CARB and potentially the effect of Covid on CARB. It is frustrating and annoying but unfortunately there is not much that can be done other than wait. The dealers are hurting just as much if not more as they have overheads and cashflow to deal with.
The following users liked this post:
mr965 (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 04:22 PM
craig66
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeremy66
I'm in NYC. My 2017 lease ended in July too, but I extended 4 months and turned it in last week,,,now car-less. PCNA has told me squat ("port handling issues"). Manhattan MC says the delay is emissions certification, as have several other above have noted, but I don't fully buy it. I believe Porsche has ulterior motives; if it was really EPA stuff why would Atlanta not say so (vs. the dealer)? If I hadn't already purchased a 19/20" set of winter wheels and snow tires I'd walk. My guess is no delivery prior to 2021, after the January auto shows.
What ulterior motives would they have to stop 2/3's of cars from being released and in the process hurt their dealers and their brand. This is a CARB issue and who has to shoulder the blame is unclear but is likely PCNA, CARB and COVID.
If the reason that you are not going to walk away is 4K winter wheels and tires I can guarantee you with no more than a $500 hit you could sell them write here on rennlist in a day. I literally just put in my order a week ago but I am sure there are many others that would jump at a discount.
This is frustrating and upsetting to you all and I worry with my car on the way that it won't be sorted out by the time my car arrives either but I am hoping that when we do all get our cars that within a couple of miles you will know why you waited. Hang in there - it will be worth it
Old 11-26-2020, 04:28 PM
Babyray
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dgtarga
So it's only CARB states that are still on hold at the port, but it's something other than CARB certification? Can't imagine what that might be.......
I’m just guessing, but CARB is located in California and Sqrewsome has shut us down. I sincerely hope I’m wrong and 12/4 comes around and we get our cars.
mr965 (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 04:40 PM
Jeremy66
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had great trouble in the past regarding selling wheels and snows as iIkeep them in my garage upstate, not in my NYC apt, and they need to be picked up there. I sold my 991.2 set this summer for $1,200 and PAID $750 shipping! I realize the dealers are hurting and that this is not their preferred scheduling, eithr. But I had a 1999 C4 that arrived in late October and PCNA wouldn't release it until January 6th 2000 after the model debuted in Detroit...so I have my theories. And, yes, I've looked around and no doubt I wait...and bitch. Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:18 PM
gymdent
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

I have had great trouble in the past regarding selling wheels and snows as iIkeep them in my garage upstate, not in my NYC apt, and they need to be picked up there. I sold my 991.2 set this summer for $1,200 and PAID $750 shipping! I realize the dealers are hurting and that this is not their preferred scheduling, eithr. But I had a 1999 C4 that arrived in late October and PCNA wouldn't release it until January 6th 2000 after the model debuted in Detroit...so I have my theories. And, yes, I've looked around and no doubt I wait...and bitch. Thanks for your reply.
Yes, as stated above, the dealers are hurting too. When I discussed this a couple of weeks ago with the owner his exact quote was, "Welcome to my world." This model has been around for more than a year, therefore I do not believe that Porsche is holding it back for an auto show debut. Moreover, and from Wikipedia:" The North American International Auto Show is an annual auto show held in Detroit, Michigan, U.S., at TCF Center. The show was held in January from 1989 to 2019, but will be held in September from 2021 onwards."

If we all assume that CARB is holding up the cars for emissions certification, why is such a procedure not done weeks or months before the vehicles are loaded on the boat? Does Hans jump off once it lands in the US, walk over to some customs official and hand the official an envelope with emissions test results? Wouldn't or shouldn't certification have been done months ago? I don't buy months of COVID delay with many working from home if they cannot go into an office building. Additionally, is there any difference in the emission requirements for the 2020's vs the 2021's? Don't have time to research that at the moment.

Bottom line: This is not a way to do business from a customer satisfaction or cash flow point of view. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Old 11-26-2020, 05:18 PM
craig66
Pro

I hear what you say about 1999 but I am assuming at that point it was all cars that were affected - I wonder if CARB even existed at that point - not sue when CARB came about. That said I really think at this point it is just a slow down related to CARB being CA based an CA being shut down, I do not know what is needed but hopefully it is something that can be dealt with between PCNA and CARB on zoom otherwise I have real fears we will be sitting several more months without cars. I am sure that Porsche 992's will not be a priority in COVID times although in a way they should be because 10K in taxes for the state and 150K cash flow for a dealership means a lot especially when it is likely just a couple of days work from CARB.

LOL I have had one of those NYC apartments many yeats ago. 4 wheels could be a challenge although you could put your mattress on the 4 of them or turn them into a TV stand - you have to think imaginatively. Although with the price of NYC apartments these days you could probably g ahead and rent one just for your wheels.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:30 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

Just got email from Porsche saying my car has completed production (actual date was 11/18) and the TYD production picture shows a white turbo coupe?!
Russian Mafia (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 05:46 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by gohawks23
Just got email from Porsche saying my car has completed production (actual date was 11/18) and the TYD production picture shows a white turbo coupe?!
Maybe they upgraded you??
Old 11-26-2020, 05:52 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,659 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
. . . . not sure when CARB came about.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:53 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Muhney
Maybe they upgraded you??
​​​​​​Don't want it! I have a C2S cab!
Old 11-26-2020, 06:04 PM
Jeremy66
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I suspect you are correct, although I also suspect the certification could have been cleared up sooner if PCNA really wanted to. The problem is not the amount of room in my apt, but how to get them to and from a tire shop, as the rims + mounted snows are a rather tight fit in the back seat...even one at a time. So I have a hydraulic jack and I swap them my self in the driveway up state. Hate to run summer performance tires in the winter.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:19 PM
Brandguy
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I hear what you say about 1999 but I am assuming at that point it was all cars that were affected - I wonder if CARB even existed at that point - not sue when CARB came about. That said I really think at this point it is just a slow down related to CARB being CA based an CA being shut down, I do not know what is needed but hopefully it is something that can be dealt with between PCNA and CARB on zoom otherwise I have real fears we will be sitting several more months without cars. I am sure that Porsche 992's will not be a priority in COVID times although in a way they should be because 10K in taxes for the state and 150K cash flow for a dealership means a lot especially when it is likely just a couple of days work from CARB.

LOL I have had one of those NYC apartments many yeats ago. 4 wheels could be a challenge although you could put your mattress on the 4 of them or turn them into a TV stand - you have to think imaginatively. Although with the price of NYC apartments these days you could probably g ahead and rent one just for your wheels.
While I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theories of ulterior motives at Porsche, the California government shutdown theory doesn't hold much water either given the number of other 2021 brands (including those within the VW group) that have already been certified. Porsche is notably much later than the majority of others. My guess is that this is a result of oversight on Porsche's part in terms of starting the process late -- possibly due to Covid on their end.......
Old 11-26-2020, 10:23 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 438 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by gohawks23
​​​​​​Don't want it! I have a C2S cab!
maybe it got confused with my White TTS cab coming to Seattle? #gohawks
Old 11-26-2020, 10:57 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

I hear what you say about 1999 but I am assuming at that point it was all cars that were affected - I wonder if CARB even existed at that point - not sue when CARB came about.
If you want to see an absolute mind-blowing documentary about the early days of both CARB and the electric car, check out the documentary on Prime Video: Who Killed The Electric Car?. You have to do a search on Prime, it's so obscure it won't otherwise be found. If you aren't familiar with this chapter in US car history it's a must see. Insightful and historical in many ways, it will broaden your perspective on where we are today and why.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:43 AM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Muhney

It just showed today on TYD
Woot, it's on the ship Viking bravery now. Just got moved up to a Jan 1st arrival at the dealer. 35 days to go. Now if they would just give me a picture.
dribar (11-27-2020)

Quick Reply: 2021 Delivery Date?