Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019 | 09:11 PM
darkknight26
Racer

No way losing the roof stripe! Nb I am going for a different style of stripe
Old 09-12-2019 | 09:23 PM
Nottoworry
Advanced

Originally Posted by got2go
My car arrived at my North Carolina dealership Tuesday a.m. and was PDI'ed yesterday. I was on schedule to pick the car up tomorrow when the paint correction and ceramic coat were completed. This evening I got a call from my SA stating that the regional Porsche rep informed the dealership that no 992's were to be released to customers until the 9/18 official release date.

Has anyone else encountered this? Seems to me that there are a number of photos posted of cars that look to be in the possession of their owners. Have I missed something? Needless to say after all the drama of the wait on the EPA, Hurricane Dorian and getting it here, that I'm disappointed and a bit confused by the way Porsche has handled the whole process.
Maybe your dealer just wants to have a 992 on the showroom floor for a while to show? This might mean you have a very nice build. But that seems like a little bit of BS to me
Old 09-12-2019 | 09:25 PM
svancle
7th Gear

My car was definitely delivered in Tucson yesterday. They had a second one there ready to deliver as well.

Any thoughts on ceramic coating vr. film coatings and dealer installed vr third party?
Old 09-12-2019 | 09:38 PM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by svancle
My car was definitely delivered in Tucson yesterday. They had a second one there ready to deliver as well.

Any thoughts on ceramic coating vr. film coatings and dealer installed vr third party?
My dealer has mine and a launch car that is very nicely spec’d with another on the way. I’m a fan of both a coating and PPF, typically with the coating over the PPF. My dealer has a good detail shop that can do the paint correction and ceramic coating. The wrap will get done by a third party. I’m in a fairly small market, so options for full service detail shops are limited.
Old 09-12-2019 | 10:43 PM
cr-997
Instructor

Both ceramic and film good if it's a daily driver. Ceramic great for easy washes too. PPF good for paint protection. If it is to be used in fairer weather only and garaged then I'd skip both and go with a sealant and wax as these can be more easily maintained with decontaminated and reapplied periodically over time. Sealant/wax will also give the paint a better look in general. Ceramic removal process much less precise and much more labor intensive. So... pluses and minuses with each.
Old 09-12-2019 | 10:52 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cr-997
Both ceramic and film good if it's a daily driver. Ceramic great for easy washes too. PPF good for paint protection. If it is to be used in fairer weather only and garaged then I'd skip both and go with a sealant and wax as these can be more easily maintained with decontaminated and reapplied periodically over time. Sealant/wax will also give the paint a better look in general. Ceramic removal process much less precise and much more labor intensive. So... pluses and minuses with each.
Ive always been skeptical with those options for those reasons. I’d rather just maintain the natural sealant/wax process and be diligent with it. I know good ones will provide “10” year warranties. But the process to remove seems daunting. And then to reapply again. How much risk are you willing to take with the OEM paint job...
Old 09-12-2019 | 11:41 PM
cr-997
Instructor

Originally Posted by jkautz
Ive always been skeptical with those options for those reasons. I’d rather just maintain the natural sealant/wax process and be diligent with it. I know good ones will provide “10” year warranties. But the process to remove seems daunting. And then to reapply again. How much risk are you willing to take with the OEM paint job...
I completely agree. For a daily driver ppf/ceramic is okay and I use ceramic for mine. Having said that.. for me it will be sealant/wax on my 992 with which I intend to have the best look possible and preserve the paint for the long haul with a simple periodic reapplication. Just use a good drying aid like Beadmaker, etc. between washes to prolong. No ceramic coating is going to last 10 years... or 3 years for that matter with normal use; and removal is a major chore, to say the least , as well as imprecise. There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding ceramics (not to mention water spot potential, etc.)
Old 09-13-2019 | 01:27 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Congrats! What color/combo did you get? I should drop by the dealer to see the new 992's
Old 09-13-2019 | 08:20 AM
Racer

My last car had ceramic coating. I drank the punch- just rinse the car with water and the dirt will fly off. Bunch of B.S., -water spots would be present after rain and they told me that I can still get scratches if I am not careful washing it properly. I was washing the car just as often as if I didn't have ceramic coating. I would skip this and just apply wax every few months. This time I am applying PPF on the entire car.
Old 09-13-2019 | 10:50 AM
mcnallys
Track Day

Originally Posted by darkknight26
No way losing the roof stripe! Nb I am going for a different style of stripe
Keep the stripe - class.

tried IE and unity with it, tried every browser on windows 10 and Mac, Frustrated. Maybe a UK thing?
Old 09-13-2019 | 10:56 AM
not4one
Instructor

For clarity...not suggesting removing stripe, just the part on the carbon roof that has a different contrast. On the other hand, different eyes see it differently.
Old 09-13-2019 | 02:40 PM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Just placed an order for a "base" 992 this morning! I sold my 991.2 about a year ago when I moved back to San Francisco thinking I wouldn't find a place with a two car garage. Of course, my wife and I landed up buying a house with a two car garage which has been baiting me to find my way back into a Porsche again.

Should be here around the holidays in December! Not as kitted out as some builds on this thread, but I found my sweet-spot in terms of comfort and performance.

Old 09-13-2019 | 02:44 PM
murphsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seanhaus
Just placed an order for a "base" 992 this morning! I sold my 991.2 about a year ago when I moved back to San Francisco thinking I wouldn't find a place with a two car garage. Of course, my wife and I landed up buying a house with a two car garage which has been baiting me to find my way back into a Porsche again.

Should be here around the holidays in December! Not as kitted out as some builds on this thread, but I found my sweet-spot in terms of comfort and performance.

Looks great. Congratulations!
Old 09-13-2019 | 05:33 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Now that there are hundreds of them up on Autotrader and cars.com its great being able to see so many different us configs.

Any update on CARB states getting the cars?
Old 09-13-2019 | 06:19 PM
mathus7
Racer

Surely someone on this forum knows something about CARB status?????

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!