Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 01:49 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Muhney
I think the mirrors are a nice touch. I like the way they look on my car, we have a lot of the same options.
I'm curious are you going to track the car? Ceramic brakes are a really expensive option if you are just driving around town. I actually considered getting them until my next door neighbor (who races at Willow Springs) talked me out of them.
One advantage and one big (for where I live disadvantage) for the PCCB: On the plus side your pads/rotors will last at least twice as long. If you don't do your own work and given what is charged for this you're pretty soon even for the extra cost. The big disadvantage is they really don't do well in extreme cold.

As to the PDK being boring I guess since F1s haven't used a clutch and gear sticks in years not to mention the time you spend trying to shift as fast as a PDK...; lets just leave it at to each his or her own.

siberian
Old 01-31-2021, 01:59 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
One advantage and one big (for where I live disadvantage) for the PCCB: On the plus side your pads/rotors will last at least twice as long. If you don't do your own work and given what is charged for this you're pretty soon even for the extra cost. The big disadvantage is they really don't do well in extreme cold.

As to the PDK being boring I guess since F1s haven't used a clutch and gear sticks in years not to mention the time you spend trying to shift as fast as a PDK...; lets just leave it at to each his or her own.

siberian
Dumb F1 comparison...
Old 01-31-2021, 02:04 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 185 Posts

Awesome that you enjoy a manual transmission and shifting over the great technology of the PDK. To each his own. But you are certainly in the minority, Porsche states that the PDK out sells the manual in a 992 by 15 to 1. Manuals are not even available on base and Turbo models, and I am going to assume the OP only bought an S to get a manual. Best of luck, manaul or PDK they are awesome cars. I'm just very happy not to be shifting anymore.

Last edited by Muhney; 01-31-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:04 PM
ribold01
Track Day

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the mirrors are a nice touch. I like the way they look on my car, we have a lot of the same options.
I'm curious are you going to track the car? Ceramic brakes are a really expensive option if you are just driving around town. I actually considered getting them until my next door neighbor (who races at Willow Springs) talked me out of them.
Thanks, the mirrors were the one addition I made after sitting on the build for a while. It's a splurge, but seems like a nice touch to differentiate.

On the PCCB, I'm not planning to track the car and live in Atlanta so extreme climate is not an issue. It'll be my DD at about 17k per year. My thinking was mostly driven by wanting to eliminate the brake dust, especially with the high gloss black wheels. Maybe this is warped economics, but I decided the $2k/year for 5 years was worth it for that happiness and cleanliness. And they look amazing. I will say the regular brakes on the 992 I drove at PEC were the most impressive brakes I've ever experienced, so there's probably no bad option here.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:06 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gohawks23
Dumb F1 comparison...
Having a bad day? I'm not sure why you would post something so rude.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:09 PM
coastal
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

It’s rare to be under 40F during the daytime along the southern coast, TX<—>FL, and because of that I don’t think winter tires for the occasional cold front are necessary. My plan is to keep it garaged until the sun comes out and gets back above 40F. That has me thinking the PCCB cold issues may not show up in my situation. I continue to consider them for my soon to be locked S cab build, primarily to see what they are like to own as a daily driver.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:09 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Awesome that you enjoy a manual transmission and shifting over the great technology of the PDK. To each his own. But you are certainly in the minority, Porsche states that the PDK out sells the manual in a 992 by 15 to 1. Manuals are not even available on base and Turbo models, and I am going to assume the OP only bought an S to get a manual. Best of luck, maunaul or PDK they are awesome cars. I'm just very happy not to be shifting anymore.
My first 911 and I do forget how old/hobbled the ownership is.
The following users liked this post:
Muhney (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 02:11 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Having a bad day? I'm not sure why you would post something so rude.
​​​​​​I just hate dumb comparisons. Driving F1 as compared to 99% driving on streets?!
Old 01-31-2021, 02:40 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,335 Posts

​​​​​​I just hate dumb comparisons. Driving F1 as compared to 99% driving on streets?!
Guess the comparison was too subtle... as I said to each his own.

siberian
Old 01-31-2021, 03:41 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 497 Likes on 221 Posts

@Muhney, don't take it personally @gohawks23 will always take the bait when it comes to MT vs PDK....his poor heart does a double take every time he sees a PDK in a performance Porsche. But that's why we love him.

It is interesting though that in Europe where the VAST majority of daily drivers are MT, when it comes to performance cars 95% are taken as PDK. I guess they figure that they spend their lives with a clutch that in a performance car let the amazing PDK do its thing.
America is one of the last outposts of MT demand and that too is waining as the newer generation of buyers who did not grow up on MT have little interest in an MT. For most they either do not know how to drive MT or just never experienced the golden age of maximizing output in what are by todays standards largely weaker engines with an MT.

I loved the MT but a bum knee forced me into a PDK...knee fixed but learned to love the PDK so much that when it came to my 992 had no interest in specking a MT

As always each to their own - as long as you are happy then it does not matter what others think. I took my car out today at 7am before anyone was about and before the snow hits the NE and spent half the time marveling at how much fun I was having rowing my gears in manual mode on my PDK and the other half marveling at how freaking amazing the car was and how much fun I was having just letting the car/PDK do its thing. It killed me to admit it that just leaving it in automatic and using hard breaking and kick downs to accentuate shifts that the car was as fun as rowing my own gears.

Last edited by craig66; 01-31-2021 at 03:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by craig66:
Booth9999 (02-04-2021), gohawks23 (01-31-2021), smiles11 (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 04:00 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

My first 911 and I do forget how old/hobbled the ownership is.
Maybe when you are old and hobbled and on your 7th 911 like me you will realize the errors in your ways.
The following users liked this post:
gohawks23 (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 04:25 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I took a PDK out on a test drive on a tight twisty road in Great Falls VA and thought it was incredibly busy...shifting...shifting...shifting. It was a bit maddening. I would consider having one but would need to drive it in manual mode or it would drive me nuts. The GT3 PDK shifter might drive me in that direction.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:47 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 497 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I took a PDK out on a test drive on a tight twisty road in Great Falls VA and thought it was incredibly busy...shifting...shifting...shifting. It was a bit maddening. I would consider having one but would need to drive it in manual mode or it would drive me nuts. The GT3 PDK shifter might drive me in that direction.

Dan, there is no doubt that by putting it into manual you would have the control over shifting but I will say one thing about a PDK and that is it is not totally automatic and besides learning how you drive it also responds to how you accelerate, kick down and break as well as the subtle pedal inputs. I have found that with both my Boxster and 992 the longer you spend with it and the more comfortable you are with it the more you can get consistent gear holding so that you are not getting that crazy shifting. If you kick down and the PDK takes you to third if you are making minor adjustments it will keep you in third without shifting up. It is only when you are holding the pedal down at a constant rate with no changes that it will sense that and shift up. There are times when I am in auto PDK that I think to myself wow I would have shifted up already but since the car does not know that I am finished playing it does not do so. It also makes a difference if you are in regular, sports or sports plus an in sports plus it will often hold the same gear far longer than needed.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:35 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

My build is scheduled to lock on 2/25, but my sales agent informed me over the weekend that orders get moved up occasionally, and he encouraged me to get any order changes in ASAP. I asked him if Porsche gives any sort of warning on a lock date getting moved up, he said, "No."

Anyone here missed a change to their order because of a surprise change to their lock date? I'm not looking to hold my changes until the 24th or anything...
Old 02-01-2021, 11:56 PM
kpblade
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
My build is scheduled to lock on 2/25, but my sales agent informed me over the weekend that orders get moved up occasionally, and he encouraged me to get any order changes in ASAP. I asked him if Porsche gives any sort of warning on a lock date getting moved up, he said, "No."

Anyone here missed a change to their order because of a surprise change to their lock date? I'm not looking to hold my changes until the 24th or anything...
My lock date (back in October) actually moved up 3 weeks, then moved back a week. The only way I knew was by Track Your Dream as I was being **** and checking it 2-3x/day. I was never notified by my SA of the change until I pointed it out to him.

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!