Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2023 | 07:41 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greek Car Geek
I say this being a future owner of an S/T, and of course want my car to hold its value, and its specialness - but at the same time, I feel like special cars SIMILAR to this should be attainable and something to aspire to, like Jason Cammisa said in the 2Jasons-1car video, the things that make the S/T special are in the experience, and should be part of the base Carrera experience. I agree.

Maybe not everything that’s in the S/T should be included, nor could they for $90K because they’re just premium, expensive parts, but the idea of a purists model, perhaps with the 718 4L NA engine in a lightweight 911 T, or a package where you can get the mag wheels (since you CAN buy them aftermarket, so why not through the factory?) and the shorter final drive and dampening improvements…

Halo cars should totally exist - they are there to be unattainable and posters on the wall, and draw people to the brand, BUT the special parts of the halo car should make their way into future models.
I have a T arriving in April that I will take down to 3k lbs. The T is actually a Clubsport but PAG lost the rights to the name to BMW. The G body Clubsport was intended to be an RS with a Carrera engine. The T follows the Clubsport formula, though things have clearly evolved. Nevertheless, it's the Carrera to have IMO, and at 3k lbs, and possibly tuned to 490HP, it should be fun.
Old 12-30-2023 | 08:12 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I heard from a source that the dealers were notified about the 992.1 some time before it was announced to the public, and that they were told that the GT3 would be PDK only. Then someone who is a legend in the Porsche world was contacted and he made some calls, and the manual became an option.

Any dealers out there that can corroborate (the first part of) that?

If that’s true, then I’d say the S/T is Porsche’s Swan Song to the manual car.

As for the hybrid GT3, I was told by a different source that 992.2 would all go hybrid except for the base Carrera and the GT cars, and then 994 GT cars would have high-revving Turbocharged engines.

we were told the manual was coming back over 3 years before the 992 GT3 debuted.
The following users liked this post:
Daft Chief (12-31-2023)
Old 12-30-2023 | 09:07 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

I heard from a source that the dealers were notified about the 992.1 some time before it was announced to the public, and that they were told that the GT3 would be PDK only. Then someone who is a legend in the Porsche world was contacted and he made some calls, and the manual became an option.

Any dealers out there that can corroborate (the first part of) that?

If that’s true, then I’d say the S/T is Porsche’s Swan Song to the manual car.

As for the hybrid GT3, I was told by a different source that 992.2 would all go hybrid except for the base Carrera and the GT cars, and then 994 GT cars would have high-revving Turbocharged engines.
Was it going to be PDK only because they couldn’t conform to California’s laws regarding sound? If you recall, the manual wasn’t going to be available in California with the GT3 992. And then, they came to some resolution.

edit:
Nevermind, read CJ’s post after I posted.

Last edited by shrimp money; 12-30-2023 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-31-2023 | 05:54 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

I found the 2 Jason video interesting.

They claimed the RS 4.0 is an ST x1.5 as far as driving experience. I was surprised by this.

With a 675lts, f90 M5, a 992 3rs and an ST coming in a couple months I am thinking about a 4.0.

I would appreciate people first hand experience.

Thanks
neoprufrok (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023 | 08:43 AM
unotaz
Drifting

LOL. I saw that in the video.

The hydraulic steering in the 997 is better than the electric systems in the 991 and the 992 for sure. I would say it’s 30% better. The weighting is certainly better for my taste. Gearbox action is certainly not. I prefer the unit in the ST.

Clutch is very heavy in the 4.0, so for me, heavy doesn’t mean it has better feel. The clutch in the CGT is heavy but full of feel. Speaking of the CGT, I’m not a fan of the steering in the CGT. It’s heavy but really with no feel. Throttle response in the CGT is Godly, especially during heel and toe, and the gearbox is like butter when driven in full tilt.

The truth is, none of these journalists have enough seat time with any of these cars, so their comments on these things are just “comments”.

I would argue that the steering in any Mclaren LT/P1/Senna are on the same level as the 4.0, if not even better than the ones in the Porsche. It’s that good.

Originally Posted by BrntRubber

They claimed the RS 4.0 is an ST x1.5 as far as driving experience. I was surprised by this.

With a 675lts, f90 M5, a 992 3rs and an ST coming in a couple months I am thinking about a 4.0.

Thanks

Last edited by unotaz; 12-31-2023 at 08:45 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by unotaz:
993RR (12-31-2023), BrntRubber (12-31-2023), Greek Car Geek (01-01-2024), RealityGT (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023 | 09:23 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by unotaz

The hydraulic steering in the 997 is better than the electric systems in the 991 and the 992 for sure. I would say it’s 30% better. The weighting is certainly better for my taste. Gearbox action is certainly not. I prefer the unit in the ST.

Clutch is very heavy in the 4.0, so for me, heavy doesn’t mean it has better feel. The clutch in the CGT is heavy but full of feel. Speaking of the CGT, I’m not a fan of the steering in the CGT. It’s heavy but really with no feel. Throttle response in the CGT is Godly, especially during heel and toe, and the gearbox is like butter when driven in full tilt.

The truth is, none of these journalists have enough seat time with any of these cars, so their comments on these things are just “comments”.

I would argue that the steering in any Mclaren LT/P1/Senna are on the same level as the 4.0, if not even better than the ones in the Porsche. It’s that good.
Very interesting!

Thanks

I need to sell all my RHD cars shortly as moving to a LHD country that won't allow rhd imports. This is forcing me to think long and hard about what to do.

Old 12-31-2023 | 09:53 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

thanks

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 12-31-2023 at 02:45 PM.
BrntRubber (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023 | 09:58 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Thanks
I'd love to know the last time Jason C. drove the 4.0 3RS to make that comment. I'd also be curious to know what he'd say if he drove the S/T and 4.0 back to back
The following 2 users liked this post by PTS:
BrntRubber (12-31-2023), fester (01-01-2024)
Old 12-31-2023 | 02:42 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Thanks
Apparently you and me have similar tastes… 675LT, M5 Comp, ST. I drove a 4.0 once. And it was otherwordly. It really is magnificent.
BrntRubber (01-03-2024)
Old 12-31-2023 | 02:45 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

tks
Old 12-31-2023 | 02:47 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

did u mod further lighten your 991R ie lithium battery -40lbs, exhaust -35lbs and wheel BBS -25lbs ? easy mods for -100lbs on already epic handling dynamics …

agree on steering feel as my 07 RS and 675LT provide unmatched feedback

tks
Old 12-31-2023 | 03:08 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Very interesting!

Thanks

I need to sell all my RHD cars shortly as moving to a LHD country that won't allow rhd imports. This is forcing me to think long and hard about what to do.
Let me know! I’m in Cyprus and we’re RHD. I sold my LHD cars in the USA.
Old 12-31-2023 | 03:27 PM
Justaroofer
Banned

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
Apparently you and me have similar tastes… 675LT, M5 Comp, ST. I drove a 4.0 once. And it was otherwordly. It really is magnificent.
If you like the M5comp, the M8GC is next step up and significantly better stock and with a basic piggyback tuner it's just nasty.

Oddly enough as a raw experience the S58 engine in the BMW X drive platforms is just a riot especially when tuned.

Back to topic.
Old 12-31-2023 | 04:12 PM
unotaz
Drifting

The car already comes with lithium ion battery and I have the Dundon long tube headers with side muffler delete.

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
did u mod further lighten your 991R ie lithium battery -40lbs, exhaust -35lbs and wheel BBS -25lbs ? easy mods for -100lbs on already epic handling dynamics …

agree on steering feel as my 07 RS and 675LT provide unmatched feedback

tks
Brian Himmelman (01-01-2024)
Old 12-31-2023 | 06:05 PM
Pro

Very interesting!

Thanks

@kyrocks Will buy your right hand drive cars, send him what you got
kyrocks (01-01-2024)

Quick Reply: 911ST